Zahar Vedishev

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7706
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 541 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by 2004AG » January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm

Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm
coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:08 pm
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
That includes Smith then cause in his own words Zapala “is going to be a star”.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

Who else has he “recognized” and then “maximized” ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.
I love Craig Smith, so I don’t need nor am I asking for your help.

I think he’s had a few misses in recruiting though and isn’t perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3673
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by ineptimusprime » January 21st, 2021, 1:46 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm
coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:08 pm
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
That includes Smith then cause in his own words Zapala “is going to be a star”.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

Who else has he “recognized” and then “maximized” ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.
I love Craig Smith, so I don’t need nor am I asking for your help.

I think he’s had a few misses in recruiting though and isn’t perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When we start having teams mostly filled with misses, I will start to worry. Like in the later Stew days.

Also, if your hit is Queta, I’ll be more lenient with the misses. Craig has so much goodwill built up with the past two seasons.



UStateTim
Posts: 270
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by UStateTim » January 21st, 2021, 2:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm
coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:08 pm
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
That includes Smith then cause in his own words Zapala “is going to be a star”.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

Who else has he “recognized” and then “maximized” ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.
I love Craig Smith, so I don’t need nor am I asking for your help.

I think he’s had a few misses in recruiting though and isn’t perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Name one mid major coach that hasn't missed in recruiting. Even Mark Few has missed on evaluating players like Jesse Wade.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3572
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1248 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm

All coaches miss in recruiting. If not all coaches would most be successful and never fired. I hate the point that, oh Smith is good, but that is because of Queta. While Queta has been a huge impact, that fact of the matter is Smith brought him in. Look at the other pieces. Bean was a walk on and he has progressed to 2nd team conference player. Porter was a walk on and turned him into a serviceable point guard. Brito was not very good his first 2 years and he turned into a very solid back up. He brought in Anderson who is solid. Anthony is turning out to be a very good addition. Rollie while young is playing really well. Ashworth was not his recruit, but Smith did honor his scholarship and he is turning out to be a really good player. Bairstow is turning into a really serviceable player. Dorius has transformed into a solid back up center.



coolag
Posts: 1439
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by coolag » January 21st, 2021, 4:59 pm

This is a thread about Zahar so I don't mean to go off track with the zapala talk. But I stand by my opinion that he will not be a consistent contributor at usu. Will eat crow if he does.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1116
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 1485 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 21st, 2021, 5:03 pm

For those that are saying that Coach Smith missed in recruiting, will you give me some of that that you're smoking? I need it right now. I could really use an upper! :crazy: :bs: :nono:



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11053
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7044 times
Been thanked: 4615 times
Contact:

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 5:39 pm

coolag wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 4:59 pm
This is a thread about Zahar so I don't mean to go off track with the zapala talk. But I stand by my opinion that he will not be a consistent contributor at usu. Will eat crow if he does.
There are scouts very familiar with the landscape of the foreign play who think Zapala could be an NBA player.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11053
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7044 times
Been thanked: 4615 times
Contact:

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 5:40 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm
All coaches miss in recruiting. If not all coaches would most be successful and never fired. I hate the point that, oh Smith is good, but that is because of Queta. While Queta has been a huge impact, that fact of the matter is Smith brought him in. Look at the other pieces. Bean was a walk on and he has progressed to 2nd team conference player. Porter was a walk on and turned him into a serviceable point guard. Brito was not very good his first 2 years and he turned into a very solid back up. He brought in Anderson who is solid. Anthony is turning out to be a very good addition. Rollie while young is playing really well. Ashworth was not his recruit, but Smith did honor his scholarship and he is turning out to be a really good player. Bairstow is turning into a really serviceable player. Dorius has transformed into a solid back up center.
I'm sure it doesn't matter but Dorius was Duryeas guy.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15650
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 444 times
Been thanked: 848 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by brownjeans » January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm

In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11053
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7044 times
Been thanked: 4615 times
Contact:

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm
coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:08 pm
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
That includes Smith then cause in his own words Zapala “is going to be a star”.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

Who else has he “recognized” and then “maximized” ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.
I love Craig Smith, so I don’t need nor am I asking for your help.

I think he’s had a few misses in recruiting though and isn’t perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure he's had misses. Coach Smith's first recruiting class consisted of Ben Fakira, John Knight, Tauriawn Knight and Neemias Queta.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1116
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 1485 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
MrBiggle



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11053
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7044 times
Been thanked: 4615 times
Contact:

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleReal Life Aggie



Bank Shot
Posts: 716
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by Bank Shot » January 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm

I don't understand why we're in the midst of a double digit winning streak, on top of the league, and have a team that is super enjoyable to watch, why a freshman leaving that is opening up a scholarship somehow dregs up negatives about recruiting? I'm enjoying everything about this team and this program. I'm sure most feel the same way except...but, but, but we missed on a recruit or two. Seems to me Coach K and Cal might have missed on a few also...or they've forgotten how to coach.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3572
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1248 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm
I don't understand why we're in the midst of a double digit winning streak, on top of the league, and have a team that is super enjoyable to watch, why a freshman leaving that is opening up a scholarship somehow dregs up negatives about recruiting? I'm enjoying everything about this team and this program. I'm sure most feel the same way except...but, but, but we missed on a recruit or two. Seems to me Coach K and Cal might have missed on a few also...or they've forgotten how to coach.
Great post, lets love where we are at. How we got here and with what players does not matter. The only thing that matters is they were aggies.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1716
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Zahar Vedishev

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 21st, 2021, 6:53 pm

A coaches job is to recruit the best 13-15 players he can and then let them compete for playing time. Someone has to lose that battle and will not get minutes and eventually either ride the pine or transfer out. That doesn’t mean they were a miss necessarily. It’s just a dynamic that every single team has.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2292
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2419 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
I thought it was Abel who served in Russia? Did both of them?



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2292
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 2419 times
Been thanked: 847 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 21st, 2021, 7:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm
coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:08 pm
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
That includes Smith then cause in his own words Zapala “is going to be a star”.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

Who else has he “recognized” and then “maximized” ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.
I love Craig Smith, so I don’t need nor am I asking for your help.

I think he’s had a few misses in recruiting though and isn’t perfect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure he's had misses. Coach Smith's first recruiting class consisted of Ben Fakira, John Knight, Tauriawn Knight and Neemias Queta.
I'm still disappointed that JK3 didn't want to/chose not to keep up with his academics. I loved what be brought to the team.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



coolag
Posts: 1439
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by coolag » January 21st, 2021, 8:31 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm
I don't understand why we're in the midst of a double digit winning streak, on top of the league, and have a team that is super enjoyable to watch, why a freshman leaving that is opening up a scholarship somehow dregs up negatives about recruiting? I'm enjoying everything about this team and this program. I'm sure most feel the same way except...but, but, but we missed on a recruit or two. Seems to me Coach K and Cal might have missed on a few also...or they've forgotten how to coach.
It's sports talk on a sports message board. That's why.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
sam tingey



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11053
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7044 times
Been thanked: 4615 times
Contact:

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
I thought it was Abel who served in Russia? Did both of them?
I thought Brock did as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken?



Aggie19
Posts: 939
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 662 times
Been thanked: 515 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by Aggie19 » January 21st, 2021, 8:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
I thought it was Abel who served in Russia? Did both of them?
I thought Brock did as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken?
Argentina I believe
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22


Go Aggies!

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15650
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 444 times
Been thanked: 848 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by brownjeans » January 21st, 2021, 10:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
If you'll notice, I didn't mention language. Having people that speak the same language isn't a cure for loneliness. Being empathetic isn't the same as feeling sorry for someone.
COVID conditions have increased loneliness across the board. It's a credit to our coaches and team that we haven't had more of our new players crack.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
AggieFBObsession



dogie
Posts: 3117
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by dogie » February 3rd, 2021, 10:41 pm

dogie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 10:17 am
I’ll start by saying that I think Zahar has some talent and I enjoyed seeing him play in a few games.

He finished his Aggie career at 3-for-11 from three and 4-for-13 overall in 21 total minutes. That is some volume shooting. It’s also a lot of effort to come halfway around the world to play half a game.

To put these numbers in perspective, this is an average number (21) of three point shots per 40 minutes that’s over 2.3 times more than Brock Miller’s.
I have to reply to my own post because I’m still in awe at the volume of three-point shots that Vedishev put up in garbage minutes.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, he finished his brief career at USU taking an average of 21 three-point attempts per 40 minutes. To further put this in context, it is my understanding that Brock Miller holds the school record for most attempts (18) in a single game, although Miller wouldn’t have played a full 40 minutes. But still, no Aggie in any single game has exceeded Zahar’s career average.

This might be an unbreakable career record. It is surpassed only by Bilal Begic’s number of technical fouls per 40 minutes. That number is so large, mathematics can’t express it, given the fact that he earned one technical foul while never appearing in a USU game.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0Real Life Aggie



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic