Baseball fans gather here

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Jjoey52
Posts: 3352
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Baseball fans gather here

Post by Jjoey52 » March 25th, 2020, 5:07 pm

I am hoping the baseball season can be somewhat salvaged. In the meantime let’s have a trivia contest.

Get these right then you can ask 3 questions, and so on.

1. Who hit the first home run in Dodger Stadium?

2. Which was the only game played in which batting averages for a team did not change at all?

3. Who was the winning pitcher in Colorado’s first win?


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 61
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by sstrasser » March 26th, 2020, 3:58 pm

i guess not many baseball fans on this page, but I got the first one, per Google-- Wally Post of the Cincinnati Reds.



Yossarian
Posts: 2983
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Yossarian » March 26th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:07 pm
I am hoping the baseball season can be somewhat salvaged. In the meantime let’s have a trivia contest.

Get these right then you can ask 3 questions, and so on.

1. Who hit the first home run in Dodger Stadium?

2. Which was the only game played in which batting averages for a team did not change at all?

3. Who was the winning pitcher in Colorado’s first win?
I don't know the answer to the second question. I suspect that it was an opening day game in which neither team had a hit nor committed an error but a run was scored by virtue of a sacrifice fly or sacrifice bunt or a wild pitch or some such thing.

My guess for #3 is Armando Reynoso



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1721
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 342 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by sam tingey » March 30th, 2020, 7:02 am

I was going to post some snide remarks about how the Giants are always the answer but in reality i am just sad.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by dyedblue » March 30th, 2020, 7:36 am

I’m a huge baseball fan, but I haven’t yet come to grips that baseball might not happen this year...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6174
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 30th, 2020, 11:36 am

sam tingey wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 7:02 am
I was going to post some snide remarks about how the Giants are always the answer but in reality i am just sad.
I wish I had the Bay Area Sports network yesterday, they did a binge-worthy replay of one of the Giants' WS
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
sam tingey


Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

Yossarian
Posts: 2983
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Yossarian » March 30th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I have watched several re-broadcasts of classic games over the last week. On Saturday I was switching back and forth between Game 7 of the 2001 World Series (Schilling and Diamondbacks vs. Clemens and the Yankees) and Game 5 of the 1986 NLCS (Astros vs. Mets). It is always entertaining to watch the Yankees lose. The 1986 game pitted Doc Gooden against Nolan Ryan. Both were great games.



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12649
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 564 times
Been thanked: 646 times
Contact:

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by ProvoAggie » March 30th, 2020, 2:42 pm

I was planning on going to 2 Angels games this next week. Sad to see the season delayed and I've watched a few classic games as well...I really need the season back though. Replay games just don't have the same effect.



Jjoey52
Posts: 3352
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Jjoey52 » April 3rd, 2020, 8:16 pm

1. Wally Post got 1st homer in LA opening day 1962.
2. Bob Feller pitched an opening day no hitter.
3. Bryan Smith pitched 8 shut out innings in Rockies 1st game in Denver. His arm blew out early in his next start and he never pitched again.

Someone else throw something out here.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Yossarian
Posts: 2983
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Yossarian » April 3rd, 2020, 8:31 pm

Here's a question

How could a fielder get credited with an unassisted triple play without ever touching the ball?



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2020, 9:22 pm

Infield fly with runners on first and second. Batter is out. Runners advancing scramble back to their bases, the runner originally on serving passed the runner in first so he is out. The ball hits the runner that was on first so he is out too. Nobody touches the ball, all three are out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Yossarian
Posts: 2983
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Yossarian » April 3rd, 2020, 10:54 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:22 pm
Infield fly with runners on first and second. Batter is out. Runners advancing scramble back to their bases, the runner originally on serving passed the runner in first so he is out. The ball hits the runner that was on first so he is out too. Nobody touches the ball, all three are out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like I have already asked that question here



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2020, 10:58 pm

Not sure, but maybe that’s why I knew the answer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Yossarian
Posts: 2983
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Yossarian » April 3rd, 2020, 10:59 pm

Another question:

Which player has broken up more no- hitters with a home run than any other player?



Jjoey52
Posts: 3352
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Baseball fans gather here

Post by Jjoey52 » April 5th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 10:54 pm
dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:22 pm
Infield fly with runners on first and second. Batter is out. Runners advancing scramble back to their bases, the runner originally on serving passed the runner in first so he is out. The ball hits the runner that was on first so he is out too. Nobody touches the ball, all three are out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like I have already asked that question here
When I seen that I was totally baffled, great question.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic