So close to having new teams in the cfp

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Imakeitrain

So close to having new teams in the cfp

Post by Imakeitrain » December 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm

Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Bama…

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: So close to having new teams in the cfp

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 3rd, 2022, 6:20 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm
Tcu might still get in over bama

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » December 3rd, 2022, 7:21 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 3rd, 2022, 6:20 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 3rd, 2022, 3:59 pm
Tcu might still get in over bama
should*

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 3rd, 2022, 9:22 pm

Ngl, on further consideration I wish the committee had the balls to leave tcu out.

I’m sick of these Cincinnati and Notre Dame type teams that have an overall clown schedule which creates awful semifinal games.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 3rd, 2022, 9:39 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 3rd, 2022, 9:22 pm
Ngl, on further consideration I wish the committee had the balls to leave tcu out.

I’m sick of these Cincinnati and Notre Dame type teams that have an overall clown schedule which creates awful semifinal games.
Agreed, the big 10 shouldn’t be included.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Imakeitrain

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » December 4th, 2022, 10:37 am

TCU is in

One new team

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2022, 10:52 am

TrueBlueFan wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 10:37 am

TCU is in

One new team
Ironically, TCU may be the team the least deserves to be in. Why even play the conference championship games? Also upset that Ohio State got in, but less upset, at least they didn't get in over a team that just beat them.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » December 4th, 2022, 11:18 am

Mostly I am entertained that Alabama is not in, and somewhere Nick Saban is raging. Honestly though, nobody beats Georgia right? I haven't paid close attention, but they seem to be way ahead of everyone.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » December 4th, 2022, 1:18 pm

1 SEC team is good to see

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 4th, 2022, 1:24 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 10:52 am
TrueBlueFan wrote:

TCU is in

One new team
Ironically, TCU may be the team the least deserves to be in. Why even play the conference championship games? Also upset that Ohio State got in, but less upset, at least they didn't get in over a team that just beat them.
They’re 12-1. Would it be better for an 11-1 team that failed to qualify for its conference title game to go or a 3 loss conference champ?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2022, 1:40 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 1:24 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

TCU is in

One new team
They’re 12-1. Would it be better for an 11-1 team that failed to qualify for its conference title game to go or a 3 loss conference champ?
Right. The whole system is stupid. But how can they be up to be the national Champs, when the team that literally just beat then to be the conference Champs don't get a shot?

But to answer your question I would rather that the top 4 conference Champs get in.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 4th, 2022, 5:07 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

TCU is in

One new team
Tcu lost its last game to a backup qb and didn’t drop at all. Bama lost to Tennessee who had a healthy Hendon Hooker and dropped several spots. If hooker were healthy Tennessee would have been a better game.

They had to keep them at 3 purely because the odds of another 40-3 semifinal would be greater if they played Georgia. They also may have tried to push a rivalry game for the other semi. Either way tcu not dropping even a spot is telling.

It is what it is and I don’t have a horse. Part of me wants to see tcu succeed but the other part of me feels that the most likely outcome is a trash semifinal.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 4th, 2022, 6:18 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 5:07 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

TCU is in

One new team
Tcu lost its last game to a backup qb and didn’t drop at all. Bama lost to Tennessee who had a healthy Hendon Hooker and dropped several spots. If hooker were healthy Tennessee would have been a better game.

They had to keep them at 3 purely because the odds of another 40-3 semifinal would be greater if they played Georgia. They also may have tried to push a rivalry game for the other semi. Either way tcu not dropping even a spot is telling.

It is what it is and I don’t have a horse. Part of me wants to see tcu succeed but the other part of me feels that the most likely outcome is a trash semifinal.
Agree to some extent. We are likely to have a trash semifinal, but anyone Georgia plays as the 4 seed is going to get beat by 14+ just like Michigan last year. Michigan probably dominates TCU but I still think they should be in over a 2 loss team that didn't qualify for its conference title game IMO. Games have to matter more than projections of better matchups.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 4th, 2022, 6:21 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 1:40 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

TCU is in

One new team
Right. The whole system is stupid. But how can they be up to be the national Champs, when the team that literally just beat then to be the conference Champs don't get a shot?

But to answer your question I would rather that the top 4 conference Champs get in.
So you would prefer Georgia, Michigan, Clemson and Utah as the playoff? I think that puts far too much weight on conference title games and can prop up inferior conferences. Utah and K State lost 3 times, they don't deserve to get a chance at a title IMO.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 4th, 2022, 7:03 pm

When this thing goes to 12, there will be some 3 loss teams in the mix.

At that point, it would be advantageous to drop the Championship games and just give the autobids to the regular season champs. It could also open up room like FBS for a 16-24 team playoff with one less game.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 5th, 2022, 2:21 pm

I'm down with the final 4. Georgia is going to stomp everyone so hard that any arguments about the 4 will be moot in very short order.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Stucki

Post by Stucki » December 6th, 2022, 10:14 am

It will be difficult to determine a conference champion without a championship game in the larger conferences. The games also make too much money for them to go away.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Hail the Utah Aggies!

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 6th, 2022, 6:04 pm

Stucki wrote:
December 6th, 2022, 10:14 am
It will be difficult to determine a conference champion without a championship game in the larger conferences. The games also make too much money for them to go away.
I don't disagree, but tiebreakers exist for a reason.

I simply would like to see a 32 team playoff. Granted it is a pipe dream, but all of the top 25 get a shot? Just my own thoughts.

The NCAA tournament has more money in it collectively than the NFL playoffs. I think there would be a huge following if this thing ever really opened up for fair competition.

https://www.thestreet.com/personal-fina ... s-13491940

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 9th, 2022, 2:18 pm

The committee is lucky that this season has produced two clear cut best teams at #1 and #2 which is all that matters for the championship. As long as they both make it there, nothing else will matter.

This is not usually the case and is why there was a need to expand.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » December 9th, 2022, 7:47 pm

I am honestly having trouble appreciating why this is really so hard.

1-4. Take the Champion of the 4 highest rated leagues. These teams are seeded and and given a bye into the 2nd Round.

5-12 are seeded at large similar to the BB tourney and based on ranking/rating.

If the P5 teams demonstrate that G5 teams are never getting in, expand to take the champ of every FBS league and then the highest rated teams.

It does not seem like it is really that complicated, and oh how the money would roll in.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » December 9th, 2022, 9:30 pm

Tennessee had the same record as Bama, with a head to head win and better record against common opponents. Bama had quality losses over Tennessee, but that's about it.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » December 13th, 2022, 11:22 am

Bama also had Bryce Young who was injured for a part of the season, and was not fully healthy against Tennessee. Bryce Young was Heisman the year before. Not making excuses though, you play who you play and it doesn't excuse the defense giving up so many points.

The question is, are you picking playoff teams as a reward for the regular season or are you trying to pick who has the best chance of winning the playoff. Lets take a scenario:

Team A: 11-1, only loss was mid-season to Team B, but Team A QB was hurt and didn't play in that game, QB on Team A is now healthy and playing lights out.
Team B: 11-1, only loss in CCG, near end of CCG game Team B star QB has season ending injury.

Teams have same record and Team B beat Team A but would anyone logically put Team B into the playoff over Team A?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 13th, 2022, 11:42 am

Coloraggie wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 11:22 am
Bama also had Bryce Young who was injured for a part of the season, and was not fully healthy against Tennessee. Bryce Young was Heisman the year before. Not making excuses though, you play who you play and it doesn't excuse the defense giving up so many points.

The question is, are you picking playoff teams as a reward for the regular season or are you trying to pick who has the best chance of winning the playoff. Lets take a scenario:

Team A: 11-1, only loss was mid-season to Team B, but Team A QB was hurt and didn't play in that game, QB on Team A is now healthy and playing lights out.
Team B: 11-1, only loss in CCG, near end of CCG game Team B star QB has season ending injury.

Teams have same record and Team B beat Team A but would anyone logically put Team B into the playoff over Team A?
In your scenario there is a Team C that beat Team B in the CCG. I would pick them.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » December 15th, 2022, 11:29 am

Coloraggie wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 11:22 am
The question is, are you picking playoff teams as a reward for the regular season or are you trying to pick who has the best chance of winning the playoff.
Reward for best regular season 100%. I think Bama would beat Tennessee on a nueteral field, but I wouldn't pick teams for the playoff based on what I think would happen, I'd pick based on what did happen, and picking that way I'd have to put Tennessee above Bama.

Locked Previous topicNext topic