Scotty and Hans Yesterday

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Scotty and Hans Yesterday

Post by Aggie19 » November 30th, 2022, 8:06 am

I know most here don't listen to their show, but I caught their first hour yesterday on my podcast listening last night. Couple of interesting comments:
- They talked about members of the staff getting poached this year (expected)
- mentioned USUs success in the portal is noticed and other teams are looking for people that have shown the ability to identify talent in the portal, makes our coaches targets
- not sure if he meant anything, but Hans referred to "whomever the next defensive coordinator is..."
- Hans said USU is getting a reputation in the state as not really recruiting HS kids. (A bit alarming to me)
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Go Aggies!

AggieGrad2021

Re: Scotty and Hans Yesterday

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 8:46 am

Aggie19 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:06 am
I know most here don't listen to their show, but I caught their first hour yesterday on my podcast listening last night. Couple of interesting comments:
- mentioned USUs success in the portal is noticed and other teams are looking for people that have shown the ability to identify talent in the portal, makes our coaches targets
- not sure if he meant anything, but Hans referred to "whomever the next defensive coordinator is..."
- Hans said USU is getting a reputation in the state as not really recruiting HS kids. (A bit alarming to me)
Yeah, I have loved Banda, but I would be really surprised if he was back. A P5 team is going to poach him.

Banda is probably getting swiped. I think Paremski gets a bigger paycheck somewhere else too. I think Tialavea gets poached for a bigger paycheck somewhere. (If that happens our recruiting is absolutely toast)

And to the last point, it’s clear the staff hasn’t made High School kids a priority this year around, and it’s a huge mistake. (It’s what staffs not worrying about being here long term do). Utah has a ton of talent, but to get the top kids here you need to have relationships with HS Coaches/Offseason Trainers, and the Rep that you won’t recruit has kids, especially in state isn’t a good thing
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0Full

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:01 am

Good info, thanks!

Agree with what has been said. When previous staffs declined to aggressively recruit in state it is a sign they want out and need to leave with a quick fix season. Not going to be surprised if we see a wholesale change shortly after or even before the Bowl Game.

Feels like the John L. Smith and Gary v.1 time of year again.
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:02 am

Our state of Utah has good and improving prep talent, just not enough to go around. From this limited base we, like the other schools to our south, go outside the state for exceptional players. No quarrel with the outstanding players in this state, yet again, just not enough of them now, nor the numbers available to be developed like we historically have at USU.

The portal is the poison that is open to roll the dice in, and at the same time, the poison many players drink from.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:10 am

What I've heard from a coach at one of our local high schools is Weber does a better job recruiting in state than USU at this point. He echoed that he rarely sees or hears anything from USU anymore. Probably an exaggeration. But man, we have had some really good in state talent over the years. (Obviously Legas, but also folks like the Vigil Brothers, etc. many O and D lineman.
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post:
AggieGrad2021

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 30th, 2022, 10:14 am

BigBlueAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:01 am
Good info, thanks!

Agree with what has been said. When previous staffs declined to aggressively recruit in state it is a sign they want out and need to leave with a quick fix season. Not going to be surprised if we see a wholesale change shortly after or even before the Bowl Game.

Feels like the John L. Smith and Gary v.1 time of year again.
Add in the extraordinary amount of JC offers we have out there and it's pretty clear the staff is pushing their chips to the center of the table.

It sucks for USU as we will start the cycle again, but it is what it is. New administration coming in, you can't really blame them for wanting to create the team now to get them up and out of here.

Go Aggies!

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 10:24 am

BigBlueAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:10 am
What I've heard from a coach at one of our local high schools is Weber does a better job recruiting in state than USU at this point. He echoed that he rarely sees or hears anything from USU anymore. Probably an exaggeration. But man, we have had some really good in state talent over the years. (Obviously Legas, but also folks like the Vigil Brothers, etc. many O and D lineman.
Not an Exaggeration. We’re losing a lot of kids that may not be highly touted In state, that would’ve developed into impact guys, like the vigils, Dax Raymond’s, etc. because we aren’t getting out to all the schools. Blake said he was going to do it. He walked into Corner Canyon, realized he had no shot at the top end guys and just stopped recruiting in the state lol. Weber had some dudes that would be really really good at our level, that a coach willing to recruit in the state would’ve gotten.

There is enough Talent here in the state of Utah to at least have a good recruiting base. We just can’t afford to lose it to other MWC teams and Hugh end FCS programs. That wouldn’t happen if the staff made an effort.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:35 am

Not sure I buy the no high school recruiting. If you look at our current commits, 5 are from JC and 5 are from High school. Offensive offers: 20 high school, 16 JC/Transfer portal

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:38 am

hvaggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:35 am
Not sure I buy the no high school recruiting. If you look at our current commits, 5 are from JC and 5 are from High school. Offensive offers: 20 high school, 16 JC/Transfer portal
And of the 5 high schoolers 3 are from utah.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 30th, 2022, 10:43 am

The Stanford coach just quit and although he's not saying it publicly, mediots here say that the reason he's leaving is because Stanford can't (or doesn't want to) compete with the other 12-PAC teams in the portal. Example, USC brought in 26 players from the portal this year.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:48 am

El Sapo wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:43 am
The Stanford coach just quit and although he's not saying it publicly, mediots here say that the reason he's leaving is because Stanford can't (or doesn't want to) compete with the other 12-PAC teams in the portal. Example, USC brought in 26 players from the portal this year.
It's Stanford. They want high quality recruits mainly from pricey private religious schools (I know this to be true). Just look at their roster and where many of their players are from. You'll notice a lot of kids from HS that start with "Saint" or some Latin word proceeded by the word "Dei" next to their names.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
El Sapo

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 30th, 2022, 10:50 am

The issue we had leading into this recruiting cycle is we only had 13 or so players that were guaranteed to be leaving after the season. That means there were only 13 spots that needed to be filled. A number that low severely limits your ability to recruit. Will we have more? Of course we'll have more BUT you can only recruit to the number that you KNOW you have at the moment.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Chod

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 30th, 2022, 10:54 am

hvaggie wrote:
Not sure on the timing, perhaps 22 can shed more light, but as I remember it, the recent offers have mostly been JC. Just on the offensive/ athlete offers we currently have out (not including commits), haven't looked at defense, it breaks down this way:
In State HS Offers - 5
Out of State HS Offers - 17
JC Offers - 13

UPDATE:
Defense has the below current offers out:
In State - 5
Out of State - 18
JC - 13

Perhaps this lines up to previous years, but it seems light on in State offers
Last edited by Aggie19 on November 30th, 2022, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go Aggies!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 30th, 2022, 10:54 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:50 am
The issue we had leading into this recruiting cycle is we only had 13 or so players that were guaranteed to be leaving after the season. That means there were only 13 spots that needed to be filled. A number that low severely limits your ability to recruit. Will we have more? Of course we'll have more BUT you can only recruit to the number that you KNOW you have at the moment.
Covid season bubble?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 30th, 2022, 10:59 am

El Sapo wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:54 am
aggies22 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:50 am
Covid season bubble?
As it stands RIGHT NOW, we'll have 18 scholarship seniors next year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 30th, 2022, 10:59 am

It seems like there are generally 30-35 D1 football athletes per year in the state of Utah. Probably 5-8 go out of state, 10-15 to BYU, 10ish to Utah and maybe 5-7 to USU. I certainly want the program to focus on Utah but I don't think we can expect to get more than 8ish scholarship players per year out of Utah.

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 12:20 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:59 am
It seems like there are generally 30-35 D1 football athletes per year in the state of Utah. Probably 5-8 go out of state, 10-15 to BYU, 10ish to Utah and maybe 5-7 to USU. I certainly want the program to focus on Utah but I don't think we can expect to get more than 8ish scholarship players per year out of Utah.
247 has about 50-60 FBS D1 players for 2022. That’s a good year for the state, but I would expect a good number is In The 40-50 range. Utah only lands usually around 5. They recruit heavily out of state now. BYU gets most. There are a lot of high end players leaving, but the rest of the guys should be coming to Logan if there is spots. Most years there are. I guess 2023 there isn’t due to Covid years but still, Utah has plenty of talent.
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post:
Aggie84025

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 1:48 pm

I just listened to it. Hans made it sound a lot worse than I felt your original post seemed to me.

That being said, Scotty had a good defense, that the state of Utah, USU is seen as a worst case scenario for a lot of In-State kids, so why waste time when the second BYU or Utah Offers, they’re gone. Also they have had teams like Washington State and Oregon State swoop in after we have offered so it makes In State-Utah recruiting very difficult.

I still wish the staff would get out there and and still have a presence, invite kids to camps, and have a presence so kids stop thinking of us as a west case scenario landing spot.

Hans made a point about a kid that played for Lehi, Safety(we just offered) but didn’t have an offer until the state title game, Weber State and Jay Hill offered, then Colorado State, then Us. Having friends go through recruiting process, I know it leaves sour taste in mouths if you wait until others offer first, like in this situation. My close friend was in this situation. He held an offer from Snow is Sr Year, then Weber offered, a week after he started getting calls from Utah, BYU, Utah State, he stayed committed to Weber. The snow College coach was pissed he was settling at Weber, so the coach sent his film around while he was on his mission to teams on the west coast, ASU, Boise State, Utah, BYU and Arizona all offered him a scholarship while he was on his mission. (Yes, recruiting happens while kids are on missions even if they’re “committed”) and he stayed With Weber State.

I think the correct approach is offer, build relationships, if a bigger school poaches then live with it and keep going. Better to have relationships and lose kids, who may end up back via transfer portal, then have no relationships at all.
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post (total 4):
aggies22stwinwardPIGSKINAGGIEAggieFBObsession

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 30th, 2022, 2:44 pm

Hans might be right on this but in general his takes and sources on anything other than basic blocking and tackling are usually way off base IMO.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
jackattack

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 30th, 2022, 2:53 pm

I am concerned with the approach of recruiting all these jc guys.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AggieGrad2021

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 2:56 pm

gomretat wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 2:44 pm
Hans might be right on this but in general his takes and sources on anything other than basic blocking and tackling are usually way off base IMO.
I agree, but he has a Son in the 5A state championship team. He’s pretty well connected with the ones you need to know for recruiting in Utah County. If he’s hearing that it’s probably somewhat accurate. Whether it’s really Blake and Staffs fault or not

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 30th, 2022, 3:09 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 2:53 pm
I'm willing to let it ride. I'll never be ok with just ceding the stat to utah and byu. I am willing to see how this recruiting goes. With the number of players in the portal now, I think that the JC ranks are under-valued compared to what they were just a few years ago and some very good players could be available there that got picked up at a high level in the past. We'll see how it goes.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » November 30th, 2022, 3:20 pm

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 12:20 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
247 has about 50-60 FBS D1 players for 2022. That’s a good year for the state, but I would expect a good number is In The 40-50 range. Utah only lands usually around 5. They recruit heavily out of state now. BYU gets most. There are a lot of high end players leaving, but the rest of the guys should be coming to Logan if there is spots. Most years there are. I guess 2023 there isn’t due to Covid years but still, Utah has plenty of talent.
ybu and Utah rarely get the top tier talent in Utah anyway. The majority of the time those players leave for other schools, just look at Noah Sewell, Jaxson Dart, Osa Masina to name a few. I get that USU needs to have a presence in Utah recruiting, but I'm not that concerned that Weber St. is in more kids faces than USU. USU needs MWC talent not Big Sky talent. Naturally there will be more kids in Utah fitting into the Big Sky talent pool than fit in the MWC talent pool that USU should be recruiting too. Keep in mind that the population in Utah is very small relative to other areas of the country especially when you try to fill 3 FBS schools rosters....it won't happen. Thus, USU must look elsewhere to fill the roster with players who can compete at an acceptable level.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 30th, 2022, 3:42 pm

Personally, I think much of the USU success the past two years is due to our assistant coaches more than the head coach.
Worse case scenario is we lose a bunch of the assistant coaches and Anderson can't bottle the lightning with the new hires.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
AggieGrad2021trevordude

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Slim80 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 3:20 pm
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ybu and Utah rarely get the top tier talent in Utah anyway. The majority of the time those players leave for other schools, just look at Noah Sewell, Jaxson Dart, Osa Masina to name a few. I get that USU needs to have a presence in Utah recruiting, but I'm not that concerned that Weber St. is in more kids faces than USU. USU needs MWC talent not Big Sky talent. Naturally there will be more kids in Utah fitting into the Big Sky talent pool than fit in the MWC talent pool that USU should be recruiting too. Keep in mind that the population in Utah is very small relative to other areas of the country especially when you try to fill 3 FBS schools rosters....it won't happen. Thus, USU must look elsewhere to fill the roster with players who can compete at an acceptable level.
You’re right, but proportionate to population size, I’d argue Utah is one of the best states for producing D1 talent.

There also are a lot of guys that end up at Weber that are too good for the FCS level, that would be impact guys in Logan. We used to not miss on those guys.
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post (total 2):
Slim80AggieFBObsession

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 30th, 2022, 4:37 pm

I think once the Covid years settle things will get back to normal with recruiting hs. It just seems to me many people are moving around because of covid log jams the past few years

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 30th, 2022, 6:11 pm

Slim80 wrote:
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Agreed. Some of the best players we've had recently have been from Florida, Texas and California. byu can have all the slow Utah County kids they want.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 30th, 2022, 6:40 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 6:11 pm
Slim80 wrote:
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Agreed. Some of the best players we've had recently have been from Florida, Texas and California. byu can have all the slow Utah County kids they want.
And continue to beat us with them.

Regulator of Class

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 1st, 2022, 7:39 am

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:46 am
Aggie19 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:06 am
Yeah, I have loved Banda, but I would be really surprised if he was back. A P5 team is going to poach him.

Banda is probably getting swiped. I think Paremski gets a bigger paycheck somewhere else too. I think Tialavea gets poached for a bigger paycheck somewhere. (If that happens our recruiting is absolutely toast)

And to the last point, it’s clear the staff hasn’t made High School kids a priority this year around, and it’s a huge mistake. (It’s what staffs not worrying about being here long term do). Utah has a ton of talent, but to get the top kids here you need to have relationships with HS Coaches/Offseason Trainers, and the Rep that you won’t recruit has kids, especially in state isn’t a good thing
I think he wants to hold of for a head coaching job. Not sure if he’s ready yet but that is exactly what he wants. Maybe in order to do that he needs to go back to P5??

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 1st, 2022, 9:27 am

We shouldn't be losing an instate kid to Colorado State.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
Slim80

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2022, 10:04 am

brian5562 wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 9:27 am
We shouldn't be losing an instate kid to Colorado State.
I think all of the local teams are going to regret losing out on Jackson Brosseau

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 1st, 2022, 10:12 am

GeoAg wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 3:09 pm
slcagg wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 2:53 pm
I'm willing to let it ride. I'll never be ok with just ceding the stat to utah and byu. I am willing to see how this recruiting goes. With the number of players in the portal now, I think that the JC ranks are under-valued compared to what they were just a few years ago and some very good players could be available there that got picked up at a high level in the past. We'll see how it goes.
The coaches know that they need to win now...and they have experience gaps they need to fill, so the JC and Transfer Portal kids help do that...it's a dance they need to do between JC/Portal kids and high school kids. Made even tougher by the limited number of scholarships available, per Aggies22.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 1st, 2022, 10:24 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:38 am
hvaggie wrote:
There are actually 4 high school commits from Utah.

Zion Andreason from East
McCae Hillstead from Skyridge
Will Monney from Springville
Jackson Olsen from Ridgline

Also, Independence JuCo commit Maka Tu'akoi played at East.

If you are getting your numbers from 247sports don't. Get actual up-to-date Aggie-related recruiting info here Bigblueusuaggienews.com.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie84025

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 1st, 2022, 11:04 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 10:24 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
hvaggie wrote:

Zion Andreason from East

If you are getting your numbers from 247sports don't. Get actual up-to-date Aggie-related recruiting info here Bigblueusuaggienews.com.
Of course I get my info from your site. I was just eyeballing it though and must have skipped over one. Thanks for correcting me. The Point is, we are recruiting the state.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 1st, 2022, 12:13 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 11:04 am
aggies22 wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 10:24 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
hvaggie wrote:

Zion Andreason from East

Of course I get my info from your site. I was just eyeballing it though and must have skipped over one. Thanks for correcting me. The Point is, we are recruiting the state.
I appreciate you checking out my site my Aggie brother! My comment was a little tongue-in-cheek with a shameless plug mixed in.

Locked Previous topicNext topic