USU KSL Beatwriter

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MacAggie

USU KSL Beatwriter

Post by MacAggie » November 20th, 2022, 9:37 am

Does anyone else feel like the KSL-USU guy is over the top negative on his coverage of the Aggies? It seems every article he writes puts a more negative spin on outcomes whether we win or lose.

Maybe I’m just a sensitive Aggie fan who only wants the positive spin though.
These users thanked the author MacAggie for the post:
Blue Sage

Roy McAvoy

Re: USU KSL Beatwriter

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 20th, 2022, 9:40 am

MacAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:37 am
Does anyone else feel like the KSL-USU guy is over the top negative on his coverage of the Aggies? It seems every article he writes puts a more negative spin on outcomes whether we win or lose.

Link(s)?

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » November 20th, 2022, 9:41 am

Yes, the intro to the article stung but was accurate. My bigger beef is when they use old photos. In this case it was Tyler from the BYU game. So stupid.

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » November 20th, 2022, 9:43 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:40 am
MacAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:37 am

Link(s)?
Here are the two most recent articles:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50522303/ag ... chdown-run

https://www.ksl.com/article/50520748/bo ... ose-state-

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 20th, 2022, 9:47 am

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:41 am
Yes, the intro to the article stung but was accurate. My bigger beef is when they use old photos. In this case it was Tyler from the BYU game. So stupid.
Well they’ve gotta get BYU in the article somehow.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionWannabeAgAlum

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 9:57 am

Jacob Nielson. Looks like he is an Aggie with some Utah Statesman articles over the past few years.

Maybe he is channeling the overall culture of the board or chat this year where it has been love-hate, but yeah, his articles drip with blatant passive aggressive tones.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 20th, 2022, 10:01 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:57 am
Jacob Nielson. Looks like he is an Aggie with some Utah Statesman articles over the past few years.

Maybe he is channeling the overall culture of the board or chat this year where it has been love-hate, but yeah, his articles drip with blatant passive aggressive tones.
Nah. The editor kicks it back to him if there's the slightest bit of homerism. God/YBU forbid. :roll:

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 20th, 2022, 10:05 am

I think this is much ado about nothing. Frustrating to not have anything concrete to complain about, so we go hunting for offenses against the program.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieIntermeddlerBustaMcNutt

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 20th, 2022, 10:09 am

He’s a USU fan, and a current USU student. I don’t think he’s even a Beat writer, just a contributor. The beat writer
is named Brian Preece. I think Jacob does a great job. I just think it’s his writing style to stay objective.
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieBustaMcNuttWannabeAgAlum

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 10:38 am

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 10:09 am
He’s a USU fan, and a current USU student. I don’t think he’s even a Beat writer, just a contributor. The beat writer
is named Brian Preece. I think Jacob does a great job. I just think it’s his writing style to stay objective.
But his writing style is not objective.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 20th, 2022, 10:51 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 10:05 am
I think this is much ado about nothing. Frustrating to not have anything concrete to complain about, so we go hunting for offenses against the program.
Same. Didn’t see anything wrong with that article at all. We sucked early and clawed back to bowl eligibility. Framing the article that way is appropriate. I haven’t read his other stuff though but this one seems very fair.

AggieGrad2021

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 20th, 2022, 10:55 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 10:38 am
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
Why, because he points out a lot of objective failures by the team this year? Losing to an FCS school at home by 28 and having the offense shut out is an objective failure. It’d be biased to overlook that
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post:
AGinNEIowa

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 20th, 2022, 11:22 am

Have you read the comments on this forum? Seems to be on brand…

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 11:48 am

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 10:55 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 10:38 am
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
Why, because he points out a lot of objective failures by the team this year? Losing to an FCS school at home by 28 and having the offense shut out is an objective failure. It’d be biased to overlook that
Read the two articles that were posted above. A news article is supposed to be who, what, when where and how; purely objective. Yet, the writer supposes more of the student body will be interested in Taylor Funk's jump shot than they will be in attending the San Jose game.

At least that's what was taught to me when I earned my Journalism Degree at USU.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 20th, 2022, 11:52 am

I’d say most things stated are accurate simple not nearly as Jubilant as articles about BYU, and Utah. I hate that in the KSL sports section USU is after the PAC 12 hot line. I mean really? What is a PAC12 hot line anyway and why is it needed.

#hornsup!

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » November 20th, 2022, 12:02 pm

Really???? Someone complaining of being Negative??? Have they looked at our board....

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » November 20th, 2022, 12:09 pm

My main complaint is that on KSL byu could be destroyed and the article would still make it seem the team is being granted into the NFL. Jacob does seem to feel he has to down play our team's performance.

I understand he may not want to come across as an Aggie homer but with his current writings I don't think anyone could even think he comes close to that.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 20th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Jacob is a died in the wool Aggie. He’s done a great job covering Aggie sports for several years and is a competent and entertaining sports journalist and podcaster. I’m glad at least KSL is hiring someone to write the pieces who knows the Aggie teams inside and out and observes the team on a daily basis. I know we are all frustrated with the blatant homerism on display in the Des News and even the Trib (for the Utes). Maybe instead of clamoring for Jacob to be a homer like his DN counterparts we should call out all the others for lacking subjectivity.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieBustaMcNutt

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 20th, 2022, 2:04 pm

One thing Aggie fans never learn- is that the whole world is not out to get us- this especially true with the SLC media. Our fanbase is minuscule compared to BYU and Utah so of course our coverage won’t be as frequent or as high quality.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » November 20th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Maybe there would be more of a fan base if there was more coverage? :noidea:
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
ustate98

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » November 20th, 2022, 4:55 pm

I've enjoyed reading his articles all year.
These users thanked the author jwaggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » November 20th, 2022, 5:43 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 4:06 pm
That's the entire problem ... there is no such thing as an Aggie "fan" ...

You went to school at USU or you didn't ... that's it ... the only person I've ever met wearing a Utah State shirt who wasn't a former / current student was a girl wearing an Aggie shirt and hat, and her husband was an Alumnus ...

I think that's both good and bad. On one hand, the "fans" we do have are a dedicated bunch and loyal for life, (I know an am), and will stick around no matter what ... but on the other, we'll never have the bodies, or the huge stadium, or support / coverage other teams do ...

The question is, do we want that? Of all the BYu-p fans I've ever met, how many of them have any actual connection to the school? Very very few. Almost none. Most have decided that they have to root for the Koogies just because they're LDS ... People with flags, lincense-plate frames, shirts, hats, mugs, etc etc etc ... with no connection to the school whatsoever ... if the Koogies start to lose games, they totally vanish ... funny how that works ... The frUtes "fans" I know are similar ... they are rabid about the frUtes with no connection to that University at all ... They are transplants who moved to Utah from out of state, or they don't like lds and root for Utah ... as soon as the frUtes lose some games, they vanish too ... have you looked at Utah basketball attendance this last decade lol? 😆

Anyway, it is what it is. If we got more coverage, it would certainly help our sports programs, but there is only so much we can do as the third biggest sports school in an already small state. Nothing wrong though with pushing for the best coverage we can get! Maybe convince more of the "fans" we do have to make the drive up to Logan on game day! I think having a full, or nearly full Maverick for all home games should be the goal! We don't have a huge stadium ... so let's do the best with what we've got and fill that thing!
These users thanked the author AggieSkiBum for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 20th, 2022, 6:06 pm

AggieSkiBum wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 5:43 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 4:06 pm

You went to school at USU or you didn't ... that's it ... the only person I've ever met wearing a Utah State shirt who wasn't a former / current student was a girl wearing an Aggie shirt and hat, and her husband was an Alumnus ...

I think that's both good and bad. On one hand, the "fans" we do have are a dedicated bunch and loyal for life, (I know an am), and will stick around no matter what ... but on the other, we'll never have the bodies, or the huge stadium, or support / coverage other teams do ...

The question is, do we want that? Of all the BYu-p fans I've ever met, how many of them have any actual connection to the school? Very very few. Almost none. Most have decided that they have to root for the Koogies just because they're LDS ... People with flags, lincense-plate frames, shirts, hats, mugs, etc etc etc ... with no connection to the school whatsoever ... if the Koogies start to lose games, they totally vanish ... funny how that works ... The frUtes "fans" I know are similar ... they are rabid about the frUtes with no connection to that University at all ... They are transplants who moved to Utah from out of state, or they don't like lds and root for Utah ... as soon as the frUtes lose some games, they vanish too ... have you looked at Utah basketball attendance this last decade lol? 😆

Anyway, it is what it is. If we got more coverage, it would certainly help our sports programs, but there is only so much we can do as the third biggest sports school in an already small state. Nothing wrong though with pushing for the best coverage we can get! Maybe convince more of the "fans" we do have to make the drive up to Logan on game day! I think having a full, or nearly full Maverick for all home games should be the goal! We don't have a huge stadium ... so let's do the best with what we've got and fill that thing!
Your comment is funny given the dynamic here that the founder of this website is diehard Aggie “fan” and not an alum.

But I understand your point and it still holds true for the most part.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 20th, 2022, 6:08 pm

AggieSkiBum wrote:

I consider myself a fan and I never applied to or attended USU. I've always liked USU but when it came time to go to school I wanted to go into Digital Media and USU didn't have a program at the time so I went to UVU. Didn't change who I cheer for.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 4):
newtonianblueAggie84025Blue SagePIGSKINAGGIE

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » November 20th, 2022, 6:12 pm

[/quote]

I consider myself a fan and I never applied to or attended USU. I've always liked USU but when it came time to go to school I wanted to go into Digital Media and USU didn't have a program at the time so I went to UVU. Didn't change who I cheer for.
[/quote]

I want to shake your hand! You are Aggie fan #2 I've ever met! Goooooooo Aggies!!!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 20th, 2022, 8:16 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 6:08 pm
AggieSkiBum wrote:

We are all forever grateful for your dedication to this website. I literally spend 70% of my internet time on this wonderfully designed message board.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Blue SagePIGSKINAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic