Starting 5

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Starting 5

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 26th, 2022, 7:08 pm

My prediction:

Starters:
PG - Rylan Jones
SG - RJ Eytle-Rock
SF - Sean Bairstow
PF - Taylor Funk
C - Isaac Johnson

Bench
PG - Steven Ashworth
SG - Mason Falslev / Max Shulga
SF - Zee Hamoda
PF - Dan Akin / Cade Potter
C - Szymon Zapala / Trevin Dorius

That lineup gives us good size, ballhandling, and athleticism. Funk will be good, but I think this is Bairstow's team. He has all the tools to be an All-MWC player, but will he finally put it together? Also, for us to compete for the championship, we need Zee and Falslev to step up. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them supplant RJ in the starting lineup by the end of the year.

All and all, there are a lot of unknowns, but I'm optimistic.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

SLB

Re: Starting 5

Post by SLB » September 26th, 2022, 8:26 pm

Dan Akin will be a 5 and a 4.
Cade Potter will be a 4 and possibly a 3 and possibly a 5.
Funk will be a 4 and a 3.
Bairstow will be a 3 and a 4.
Shugla vs RJ for that 2 starting position. Shulga is the favorite since he is much younger and more growth in his game and outplayed RJ in the last 3 games of the season.
Ashworth was the better shooter when comparing to Jones, and the offense moved better with Ashworth.
Hamoda will be a 3 and a 2.
I would not change anything else.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 11:15 am

SLB wrote:
September 26th, 2022, 8:26 pm
Shugla vs RJ for that 2 starting position. Shulga is the favorite since he is much younger and more growth in his game and outplayed RJ in the last 3 games of the season.
Ashworth was the better shooter when comparing to Jones, and the offense moved better with Ashworth.
Akin WILL definitely play the 4 and 5
I don't see Potter playing anywhere but the 4
Funk MAYBE could drop to the 3
Bairstow will not play the 4
Shulga is NOT the favorite at the 2 and might play some at 3
I think Jones starts at the 1
Hamoda does not have the ball handling skill for the 2

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 11:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:15 am
SLB wrote:
Hamoda has the speed and could develop those ball handling skills. Bairstow has the ability of being of the 4 rotating the position with Funk in the sense that both are on the floor switch positions for different plays since they both could do that position. Potter has the size to be a potential smaller 5. We went back and forth with Ashworth and Jones at 1 last season.
20-21 stat comparison between Shulga and RJ
Shulga SO
13.7 minutes per game
4.4 points per game
51.2 % from the field
45 % from 3
77.6 % on FTs
2.1 rebounds per game
1 assist per game
.9 TOs per game
.7 steals per game
1.4 PFs per game
RJ SR
24.1 minutes per game
7.8 points per game
41.1% from the field
34.4 % from 3
81% on FTs
2.3 rebounds per game
2 assists per game
1.5 TOs per game
.6 steals per game
1.8 PFs per game
Last edited by SLB on September 27th, 2022, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » September 27th, 2022, 11:31 am

Regardless of who we THINK should be starting, I think OCA's starting 5 WILL be correct. Whether it stays that way is yet to be determined but opening night seems about right. The only one that's maybe iffy is whether Akin or Johnson are at the 5.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 11:34 am

SLB wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:26 am
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
Hamoda has the speed and could develop those ball handling skills. Bairstow has the ability of being of the 4 rotating the position with Funk in the sense that both are on the floor switch positions for different plays since they both could do that position. Potter has the size to be a potential smaller 5. We went back and forth with Ashworth and Jones at 1 last season. Shulga has the 2 and 3 ability, and RJ was a turnover machine at times which is a serious issue for being the older player so expect the unexpected with Shulga taking the 2 spot.
Your first post was speaking in absolutes.

This now says Hamoda COULD develop ball skills. That COULD happen. Right now he does not.
Potter has the POTENTIAL to be a small 5. Potter has NEVER been much of a rebounder and would be a mismatch defensively.
Jones stopped starting at the 1 as soon as he got hurt. Once he was back to 100%, Jones was back in the starting lineup.
RJ was NOT brought back for his super senior season to sit behind Shulga. I know you love Shulga but it's not his time yet.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 11:35 am

Bank Shot wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:31 am
Regardless of who we THINK should be starting, I think OCA's starting 5 WILL be correct. Whether it stays that way is yet to be determined but opening night seems about right. The only one that's maybe iffy is whether Akin or Johnson are at the 5.
I too think he's correct.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 11:42 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:34 am
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
Hamoda has the speed and could develop those ball handling skills. Bairstow has the ability of being of the 4 rotating the position with Funk in the sense that both are on the floor switch positions for different plays since they both could do that position. Potter has the size to be a potential smaller 5. We went back and forth with Ashworth and Jones at 1 last season. Shulga has the 2 and 3 ability, and RJ was a turnover machine at times which is a serious issue for being the older player so expect the unexpected with Shulga taking the 2 spot.

This now says Hamoda COULD develop ball skills. That COULD happen. Right now he does not.
Potter has the POTENTIAL to be a small 5. Potter has NEVER been much of a rebounder and would be a mismatch defensively.
Jones stopped starting at the 1 as soon as he got hurt. Once he was back to 100%, Jones was back in the starting lineup.
RJ was NOT brought back for his super senior season to sit behind Shulga. I know you love Shulga but it's not his time yet.
The word possibly is in the English language means perhaps or achievable. Absolutes would not include the word possibly. 22, you need to chill and stop overreacting.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » September 27th, 2022, 11:50 am

SLB wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:42 am
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:

The word possibly is in the English language means perhaps or achievable. Absolutes would not include the word possibly. 22, you need to chill and stop overreacting.
Well that was a classic overreaction to a reaction.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleFloridaAggie13

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 11:53 am

SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:

I'm always chill my Aggie brother. My apologies for ruffling your feathers.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 11:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:53 am
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:

Nothing ruffles my feathers, but I noticed that you blew up. I would point it out that a board of opinions of what has yet to happen will have very different opinions which some agreement and disagreement will happen. I do wonder about the walk-on last season since when I looked at his incredible high school stats gave a bit of Bean vibes.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 12:04 pm

SLB wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 11:57 am
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:

Nothing ruffles my feathers, but I noticed that you blew up. I would point it out that a board of opinions of what has yet to happen will have very different opinions which some agreement and disagreement will happen. I do wonder about the walk-on last season since when I looked at his incredible high school stats gave a bit of Bean vibes.
My Aggie brother, I've literally NEVER blown up on anyone in over a decade on this board and nearly another decade on the previous Scout board. If you took it that way, again my apologies. I'll move on.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggReal Life Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 12:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 12:04 pm
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:

My Aggie brother, I've literally NEVER blown up on anyone in over a decade on this board and nearly another decade on the previous Scout board. If you took it that way, again my apologies. I'll move on.
If RJ gets the starting gig, he should be pulled quickly as soon he plays reckless basketball because Shulga is ready to go.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 12:14 pm

SLB wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 12:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 12:04 pm
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLB wrote:

If RJ gets the starting gig, he should be pulled quickly as soon he plays reckless basketball because Shulga is ready to go.
It's high-level athletics. If anyone is playing like $hit they should be pulled. It seems like we agree on that.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2022, 12:17 pm

Are we safe to assume Taylor Funk will be starting on 11/7 against UVU?

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 12:20 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Are we safe to assume Taylor Funk will be starting on 11/7 against UVU?
You have enter into the deep valley comments of me and 22.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » September 27th, 2022, 12:22 pm

:puke: if i have to watch RJ-ER throw up bricks again this year.
I will need serious counseling. Dudes not that good of a player ( in my opinion only) :bangwall:

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » September 27th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Although I think Odom has a very good defensive scheme and philosophy, I'm still concerned if we have the players to execute on that end of the floor. Our perimeter guys are not good defenders and hopefully not having guys like Horvath playing out of position will be able to compensate.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 27th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Why do I get this uneasy feeling that USU is not going to be very good in basketball.... again?

Eutaw St. Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 12:28 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 12:22 pm
I will need serious counseling. Dudes not that good of a player ( in my opinion only) :bangwall:
My beef with RJ was reckless shooting leading to countless TOs. Shulga does not do that. I wonder how this will turn out since Shulga is much younger while RJ is a super senior at this point.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 27th, 2022, 2:17 pm

SLB wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 12:28 pm
sammyhagar wrote:
My beef with RJ was reckless shooting leading to countless TOs. Shulga does not do that. I wonder how this will turn out since Shulga is much younger while RJ is a super senior at this point.
RJ's shooting improved quite a bit over the year. He ended up at 41% from the field and 34% from downtown. Not great numbers, but not horrible. He had about the same amount of turnovers per game as Jones, Ashworth, and Bairstow in similar minutes. Shulga did have better shooting percentages, and I felt he played better defense than RJ. Shulga actually had more turnovers per minute played than RJ though.

Here are turnovers per 40 minutes last year:

Conner Gillis - 7.3
Connor Odom - 4.4
Szymon Zapala - 3.6
Zee Hamoda - 3.3
Brandon Horvath - 3.1
Max Shulga - 2.6
Rylan Jones - 2.6
R.J. Eytle Rock - 2.5
Sean Bairstow - 2.3
Justin Bean - 2.1
Steven Ashworth - 2.1
Trevin Dorius - 1.8
Travis Wagstaff - 1.6
Brock Miller - 1.0
Norbert Thelissen - 0.0
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
aggies22

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 27th, 2022, 2:35 pm

I'm betting on Akin being the starting 5 at least early. If Johnson comes along quickly he could supplant Akin, though.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
mcaggie1

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2022, 3:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 2:17 pm
SLB wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:
RJ's shooting improved quite a bit over the year. He ended up at 41% from the field and 34% from downtown. Not great numbers, but not horrible. He had about the same amount of turnovers per game as Jones, Ashworth, and Bairstow in similar minutes. Shulga did have better shooting percentages, and I felt he played better defense than RJ. Shulga actually had more turnovers per minute played than RJ though.

Conner Gillis - 7.3
Connor Odom - 4.4
Szymon Zapala - 3.6
Zee Hamoda - 3.3
Brandon Horvath - 3.1
Max Shulga - 2.6
Rylan Jones - 2.6
R.J. Eytle Rock - 2.5
Sean Bairstow - 2.3
Justin Bean - 2.1
Steven Ashworth - 2.1
Trevin Dorius - 1.8
Travis Wagstaff - 1.6
Brock Miller - 1.0
Norbert Thelissen - 0.0
If we get conference player Eytle Rock that will be great. BY conference he was playing pretty well last year. He struggled in the first part of the year, but progressed. I am happy he returned.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » September 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 2:35 pm
I'm betting on Akin being the starting 5 at least early. If Johnson comes along quickly he could supplant Akin, though.
Agreed. It doesn’t seem typical to get a super senior to transfer to USU so he can come off the bench. Akin has notably more minutes of D1 game experience. I assume he has more toughness and athleticism than Johnson based on the limited highlights I’ve seen of them.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 4:11 pm

Pacobag wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Agreed. It doesn’t seem typical to get a super senior to transfer to USU so he can come off the bench. Akin has notably more minutes of D1 game experience. I assume he has more toughness and athleticism than Johnson based on the limited highlights I’ve seen of them.
Even if he doesn't start, thanks to his ability to play the 4 and the 5, there will be plenty of minutes to feed him.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 27th, 2022, 4:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:Are we safe to assume Taylor Funk will be starting on 11/7 against UVU?
Yeah wasn’t it reported that Funk is rolling around campus with a scooter thing and a big ugly brace on his leg? Will he be ready in just over a month? I hope so but have some doubts.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 27th, 2022, 4:36 pm

treesap32 wrote:
SLB wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:

Conner Gillis - 7.3
Connor Odom - 4.4
Szymon Zapala - 3.6
Zee Hamoda - 3.3
Brandon Horvath - 3.1
Max Shulga - 2.6
Rylan Jones - 2.6
R.J. Eytle Rock - 2.5
Sean Bairstow - 2.3
Justin Bean - 2.1
Steven Ashworth - 2.1
Trevin Dorius - 1.8
Travis Wagstaff - 1.6
Brock Miller - 1.0
Norbert Thelissen - 0.0
RJ had a number of reckless brick shots that was the issue with RJ. If he starts doing his reckless brick shooting, RJ should be benched for the game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2022, 4:54 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:26 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:Are we safe to assume Taylor Funk will be starting on 11/7 against UVU?
Yeah wasn’t it reported that Funk is rolling around campus with a scooter thing and a big ugly brace on his leg? Will he be ready in just over a month? I hope so but have some doubts.
It was but I was seeing if someone had concrete confirmation if it was true. If he is out for a length of time it might get ugly.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2022, 4:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:11 pm
Pacobag wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Even if he doesn't start, thanks to his ability to play the 4 and the 5, there will be plenty of minutes to feed him.
Akin does seem like he has the strength and athleticism to battle against guys like Ike. We missed that last year.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » September 27th, 2022, 4:57 pm

SLB wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:36 pm
treesap32 wrote:
SLB wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:

Conner Gillis - 7.3
Connor Odom - 4.4
Szymon Zapala - 3.6
Zee Hamoda - 3.3
Brandon Horvath - 3.1
Max Shulga - 2.6
Rylan Jones - 2.6
R.J. Eytle Rock - 2.5
Sean Bairstow - 2.3
Justin Bean - 2.1
Steven Ashworth - 2.1
Trevin Dorius - 1.8
Travis Wagstaff - 1.6
Brock Miller - 1.0
Norbert Thelissen - 0.0
RJ had a number of reckless brick shots that was the issue with RJ. If he starts doing his reckless brick shooting, RJ should be benched for the game.
Not a huge RJ fan but he did shoot 39.6% from 3 pt line in conference play. I'll take that recklessness. I hope he's shed a few lbs. from last year. He did get better as the year went on. Don't think he took conditioning too seriously before arriving in Logan.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
Aggie84025

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 27th, 2022, 5:53 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:11 pm
Pacobag wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Akin does seem like he has the strength and athleticism to battle against guys like Ike. We missed that last year.
That is EXACTLY why he was brought in.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie84025

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » September 27th, 2022, 6:09 pm

I don't think people should get too hung up on the tradtional positions we have all become accustomed to. While its easy to say a guy will be a center-5, power forward-4, small forward/wing-3, shooting guard-2 or point guard-1, in the motion offense the Ryan Odom wants to run, players are designated more for their positioning on the floor than a certain kind of play. So at any given time, Odom would run a whole bunch of big guys out there, or a whole bunch of wings out there to meet the needs he sees on the floor. About the only thing that is set is that there will be 5 players, and Rylan Jones or Steven Ashworth will be handling the ball most of the time. Other than that, brace yourself for a lot of "different" than you've seen before.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
Aggie84025

AggiesForever

Post by AggiesForever » September 27th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:54 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
It was but I was seeing if someone had concrete confirmation if it was true. If he is out for a length of time it might get ugly.
Funk will return to full-practice and playing about two weeks before our first game with a "hairline" fracture in his heel, I've been told. But it is more precautionary than serious. He could be back sooner than that.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025slcagg

AggiesForever

Post by AggiesForever » September 27th, 2022, 6:14 pm

sammyhagar wrote:

Conner Gillis - 7.3
Connor Odom - 4.4
Szymon Zapala - 3.6
Zee Hamoda - 3.3
Brandon Horvath - 3.1
Max Shulga - 2.6
Rylan Jones - 2.6
R.J. Eytle Rock - 2.5
Sean Bairstow - 2.3
Justin Bean - 2.1
Steven Ashworth - 2.1
Trevin Dorius - 1.8
Travis Wagstaff - 1.6
Brock Miller - 1.0
Norbert Thelissen - 0.0
I don't think you'll have to worry about the "Conner/Connor's" As non-scholarship players, their minutes will be strictly limited to total wipeout garbage time.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2022, 6:19 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 6:12 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 27th, 2022, 4:54 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Funk will return to full-practice and playing about two weeks before our first game with a "hairline" fracture in his heel, I've been told. But it is more precautionary than serious. He could be back sooner than that.
Thanks for the update, that is encouraging. Hopefully it is an injury that heals well and does not linger.

Locked Previous topicNext topic