A contest: Ags in the NFL 2022

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

A contest: Ags in the NFL 2022

Post by OKAggie » August 1st, 2022, 9:04 pm

As NFL camps are now open and football season is less than a month away, I'm creating the fourth annual (2020 didn't happen) Ags in the NFL contest.

As of today there are 13 former USU players under contract with an NFL team (list below). The contest is to predict which ones will be in the NFL when the season begins. Predict which players will be on a final 53-man roster on August 30, or on practice squads or injured/suspended/PUP lists as of the first game of the season. The OKAggie Foundation (me) will make a $50 donation to the winner to contribute to the Big Blue Scholarship Fund or the Merlin Olsen Fund (on your honor. I tried the first year to make a donation in the winner's name, and they had trouble figuring out how to do it.)

Here's the hook: You rank the 13 players 13-1, most to least likely to stick in the NFL. For each player that is on the final 53-man roster, you get 2 points x the numeric ranking; for each player that is on the Week One practice squad, physically unable to perform, injured reserve or suspended list, you get 1 point times the numeric ranking. Players don't have to stick with the team they're currently under contract with -- if traded, or waived and picked up by Game 1, they count if they stick with someone. (If a player is on the announced 53-man roster on August 31 but is waived before Game 1, he still counts for 2 points.)

For example: if you think Bobby Wagner is the most likely to make the team (giving him a point value of 13) and he is on the final 53-man roster, you get 26 points. If you rank Derek Wright least likely (giving him a point value of 1) and he makes the Week One practice squad, you get 1 point.

Jalen Davis/Bengals
Kyler Fackrell/Raiders
Tipa Galeai/Packers
Tyler Larsen/Commanders
Nevin Lawson/Jaguars
Dallin Leavitt/Packers
Jordan Love/Packers
Patrick Scales/Bears
Deven Thompkins/Buccaneers
Darwin Thompson/Seahawks
Nick Vigil/Cardinals
Bobby Wagner/Rams
Derek Wright/Panthers

Entries are due August 15 and can ONLY be made (or modified up to August 15) by entering your choices on the Entries tab of this Google sheet. (If you just list them here, you're not entered in the contest.) Enter your USUFans handle in line 1. The sum of your 13 picks should be 91 (check cell in line 18). After the entry deadline, all entries will be cell-protected.

OKAggie is the sole arbiter of any disputes. Good luck, have fun, and GO AGGIES!!
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyaggies22trevordude

Nobody here knows anything.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Re: A contest: Ags in the NFL 2022

Post by trevordude » August 2nd, 2022, 11:39 am

Fun contest, thank you!
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
aggies22

Not sent from Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 2nd, 2022, 1:11 pm

I look forward to the contests every year!

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 11th, 2022, 7:08 am

Four days until the entry deadline, and only five people have signed up?!?! Is my money not good enough for you? I know this crew - you’d push your grandma into First Dam if she was standing on a $50 bill.

Come on, get cracking! Entry deadline is Monday (the day before first roster cutdowns from 90 to 85.)
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
918AGGJSHarvey

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 11th, 2022, 9:03 am

OKAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 7:08 am
Four days until the entry deadline, and only five people have signed up?!?! Is my money not good enough for you? I know this crew - you’d push your grandma into First Dam if she was standing on a $50 bill.

Come on, get cracking! Entry deadline is Monday (the day before first roster cutdowns from 90 to 85.)
I'm on it my Aggie brother!!

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » August 11th, 2022, 12:26 pm

I have to think about doing it when I am off my work network. Google docs are blocked by our firewall. So, here is to remembering one evening.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
sstrasser

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 15th, 2022, 4:57 am

Last day for entries, deadline is 10 pm Central time. Submit entries on this Google sheet. Good luck to you, better luck to these Ags trying to live out the dream.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
aggies22

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 16th, 2022, 7:20 pm

how many made it through the first cuts?

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 17th, 2022, 10:42 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 7:20 pm
According to http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/u these are the ones who made it through the first cut.

Jalen Davis
Tipa Galeai
Tyler Larsen
Dallin Leavitt
Jordan Love
Patrick Scales
Deven Thompkins
Darwin Thompson
Nick Vigil
Bobby Wagner
Derek Wright

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 17th, 2022, 12:07 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
August 17th, 2022, 10:42 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 7:20 pm
According to http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/u these are the ones who made it through the first cut.

Jalen Davis
Tipa Galeai
Tyler Larsen
Dallin Leavitt
Jordan Love
Patrick Scales
Deven Thompkins
Darwin Thompson
Nick Vigil
Bobby Wagner
Derek Wright
Kyler Fackrell is on injured reserve and still with the Raiders as far as I can tell.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AGinNEIowa

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 23rd, 2022, 3:57 pm

Teams had to be down to 80 on the roster today. None of our guys was cut, but Tyler Larsen was put on the reserve/physically unable to perform list by Washington. The earliest he could return would be Week 5.
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 23rd, 2022, 4:40 pm

OKAggie wrote:
August 23rd, 2022, 3:57 pm
Teams had to be down to 80 on the roster today. None of our guys was cut, but Tyler Larsen was put on the reserve/physically unable to perform list by Washington. The earliest he could return would be Week 5.
Tyler is still coming back from a torn achillies.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 31st, 2022, 8:32 am

53-man rosters were set yesterday -- Wagner and Love were no-brainers, Vigil and Scales were very solid and no surprises. Davis, Leavitt and Galeai were thought to be on the bubble, but made the 53. Fackrell and Larsen are on injured or PUP lists.

Thompkins, Wright and Thompson were all waived. If they clear waivers it's likely that Deven and Derek will be signed to the practice squads, less certain for Darwin.

So: pending the outcome for those three, the leader in the clubhouse is 918AGG with a slim one point lead over foreveranaggie and Aggies22. Final results won't be known until the first games of the NFL season.

Two disclosures: (1) 918AGG is my son; (2) I wrongly included Nevin Lawson in the contest, but it turns out he was not under contract with the Jags when I set this up. I re-ran the numbers excluding him, and it doesn't look like it will make a difference in the outcome. But I like to run a clean ship, so mea culpa.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78918AGG

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 31st, 2022, 8:51 am

OKAggie wrote:
August 31st, 2022, 8:32 am
53-man rosters were set yesterday -- Wagner and Love were no-brainers, Vigil and Scales were very solid and no surprises. Davis, Leavitt and Galeai were thought to be on the bubble, but made the 53. Fackrell and Larsen are on injured or PUP lists.

Thompkins, Wright and Thompson were all waived. If they clear waivers it's likely that Deven and Derek will be signed to the practice squads, less certain for Darwin.

So: pending the outcome for those three, the leader in the clubhouse is 918AGG with a slim one point lead over foreveranaggie and Aggies22. Final results won't be known until the first games of the NFL season.

Two disclosures: (1) 918AGG is my son; (2) I wrongly included Nevin Lawson in the contest, but it turns out he was not under contract with the Jags when I set this up. I re-ran the numbers excluding him, and it doesn't look like it will make a difference in the outcome. But I like to run a clean ship, so mea culpa.
If you wanted to send your son a gift, you didn't have to go through this whole ruse. We would have understood.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78sam tingey

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 31st, 2022, 9:35 am

OKAggie wrote:

So if I figured this correctly, If Derek and Deven land on practice squads or better by week 1, I will tie with foreveranaggie?

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 31st, 2022, 9:36 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 31st, 2022, 8:51 am
OKAggie wrote:

If you wanted to send your son a gift, you didn't have to go through this whole ruse. We would have understood.
I can't help it if I'm an Ags in the NFL savant (which is an extremely specific savant category, but I am what I am). #winning
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
aggies22

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 31st, 2022, 5:01 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 31st, 2022, 9:35 am
OKAggie wrote:

So if I figured this correctly, If Derek and Deven land on practice squads or better by week 1, I will tie with foreveranaggie?
A few variables including what happens with Darwin Thompson, and whether any of them land on 53-man rosters or practice squads.
aggies22

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 1st, 2022, 7:40 am

Well, well, well. Looks like my error in having Nevin Lawson in the contest did matter after all.

With Thompson, Thompkins and Wright all being signed to their teams' practice squads, the Ags in the NFL Contest is over. foreveranaggie and aggies22 tied for the win with 158 points, just ahead of AGinNEIowa with 157 and 918AGG with 156. Congrats to the winners, who will split the $50 pot.

But if I'd left Lawson out, 918 and NEIowa would have tied for the win, with foreveranaggie and aggies22 a point behind. So to keep the name of the OKAggie Foundation unbesmirched, they also will split a $50 pot. 918 will get his in kind in Tuscaloosa this weekend, and hopefully NEIowa as well.

Winners, please PM me your Venmo, PayPal or street address and I'll get your prize money on its way.

Thanks to all who played, and special congrats to all our Aggies -- every one who was in an NFL camp this year is under contract. GO AGGIES!!!
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 4):
JSHarvey918AGGaggies22sam tingey

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 1st, 2022, 11:49 am

OKAggie wrote:
September 1st, 2022, 7:40 am
Well, well, well. Looks like my error in having Nevin Lawson in the contest did matter after all.

With Thompson, Thompkins and Wright all being signed to their teams' practice squads, the Ags in the NFL Contest is over. foreveranaggie and aggies22 tied for the win with 158 points, just ahead of AGinNEIowa with 157 and 918AGG with 156. Congrats to the winners, who will split the $50 pot.

But if I'd left Lawson out, 918 and NEIowa would have tied for the win, with foreveranaggie and aggies22 a point behind. So to keep the name of the OKAggie Foundation unbesmirched, they also will split a $50 pot. 918 will get his in kind in Tuscaloosa this weekend, and hopefully NEIowa as well.

Winners, please PM me your Venmo, PayPal or street address and I'll get your prize money on its way.

Thanks to all who played, and special congrats to all our Aggies -- every one who was in an NFL camp this year is under contract. GO AGGIES!!!
I look forward to this contest every year! Thanks for putting this together for us my Aggie brother!!

Locked Previous topicNext topic