Volleyball up 2-0 on #12 ucla

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Volleyball up 2-0 on #12 ucla

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 26th, 2022, 7:22 pm

Watch on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on August 26th, 2022, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

ootek

Re: Volleyball up 2-0 on #12 ucla

Post by ootek » August 26th, 2022, 8:25 pm

They did it!
These users thanked the author ootek for the post (total 4):
USU78NowhereLandAggieLKGatesaggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 26th, 2022, 9:10 pm

That is awesome. Nice to see them have success.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 26th, 2022, 9:14 pm

Aggie19

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 26th, 2022, 10:01 pm

These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
USU78

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » August 26th, 2022, 10:07 pm

This is a HUGE win. Way to go Aggie volleyball

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » August 26th, 2022, 10:19 pm

Wow! That’s amazing… Does anybody more in the know have an idea of what kind of new players they brought in this year? They of course had a good season last year, but have they brought in new talent that would imply they’ll be better than last? I just have no idea… transfers, freshman, etc.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » August 26th, 2022, 10:35 pm

I love that it happened in front of a good crowd, way to go

Not sent from Tapatalk

usu99

Post by usu99 » August 27th, 2022, 9:23 am

Is that a first ever storming of the court for volleyball?

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 27th, 2022, 1:28 pm

Take that Big10!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 28th, 2022, 4:36 pm

In other volleyball news

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 920561001/

BYU fans doing BYU fans things?

Eutaw St. Aggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 28th, 2022, 5:33 pm

Yossarian wrote:
August 28th, 2022, 4:36 pm
In other volleyball news

Those people p!$$ me off so much 🤬

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 28th, 2022, 10:41 pm

Yossarian wrote:
In other volleyball news

Probably not.

This story is strange. I brought it up during chat. At first I believed it hearing the general story. "Someone said the N-Word". Well ok, there are racist hecklers in the world. But then I read the tweet thread from the godmother

The godmother's story makes no sense and is starting to sound very Smollett like and less like an actual racist attack or even Bubba Wallace like misunderstanding.

She said the crowd chanting it every time it was that girl's turn? Something doesn't smell right. It should also be noted that much like our volleyball games, BYU volleyball games are broadcast. If this were true, I'm sure someone would have been able to find it. She said that BYU just let the racists go. But the BYU statement seemed to suggest they tried to act immediately but that at first Duke could not identify who they believed the person dropping the N-bomb was. And if no one could identify the culprit, what was BYU expected to do at that point?

With that much false story behind the allegation I give them much less benefit of the doubt. I do give the Duke players the benefit of the doubt that someone may have said something. But the grandma is making crazy allegations

I've been to so many BYU/USU games. I've gotten into several arguments with BYU fans where personal insults are exchanged both ways. To the BYU fan I very much matched the Aggie stereotype, when I was in school. I often sat up close near BYU's hecklers. Not once have I heard a racial slur directed at me (I'm not white) or any of our players. In my discussions with how much I hate BYU with my friends on various teams, many of whom are not white either, none of them have expressed to me that BYU called them the n-word. If it's true, just show me the broadcast where this occurred.

Lastly, BYU banned a fan. But the fan was apparently banned because the Duke team believed this may be the same fan who yelled the hard r. Based on the byu press release.

If that is them, Good! Ban them. But that is a far cry from what grammy claimed.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 28th, 2022, 11:38 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
August 28th, 2022, 10:41 pm
Yossarian wrote:
In other volleyball news

Probably not.

This story is strange. I brought it up during chat. At first I believed it hearing the general story. "Someone said the N-Word". Well ok, there are racist hecklers in the world. But then I read the tweet thread from the godmother

The godmother's story makes no sense and is starting to sound very Smollett like and less like an actual racist attack or even Bubba Wallace like misunderstanding.

She said the crowd chanting it every time it was that girl's turn? Something doesn't smell right. It should also be noted that much like our volleyball games, BYU volleyball games are broadcast. If this were true, I'm sure someone would have been able to find it. She said that BYU just let the racists go. But the BYU statement seemed to suggest they tried to act immediately but that at first Duke could not identify who they believed the person dropping the N-bomb was. And if no one could identify the culprit, what was BYU expected to do at that point?

With that much false story behind the allegation I give them much less benefit of the doubt. I do give the Duke players the benefit of the doubt that someone may have said something. But the grandma is making crazy allegations

I've been to so many BYU/USU games. I've gotten into several arguments with BYU fans where personal insults are exchanged both ways. To the BYU fan I very much matched the Aggie stereotype, when I was in school. I often sat up close near BYU's hecklers. Not once have I heard a racial slur directed at me (I'm not white) or any of our players. In my discussions with how much I hate BYU with my friends on various teams, many of whom are not white either, none of them have expressed to me that BYU called them the n-word. If it's true, just show me the broadcast where this occurred.

Lastly, BYU banned a fan. But the fan was apparently banned for approaching the Duke team after the game and the assumption is that the Duke team believed this may be the same fan who yelled the hard r. Good! But that is a far cry from what grammy claimed.
So another Eric Musselman's wife siruation? I found it odd that the girl felt like she needed security sitting behind the bench during the game to protect her. I guess protect her from the lynch mob that was obviously being formed in the stands? This story does have a similar feel to the Musselman story. The problem is - will there be a follow up story in USA Today? They have let the genie out of the bottle - if it was a misunderstanding, will they apologize? If it is true, will BYU take further action? If it is not a BYU student, then what? I could see how the godmother may have had a story in her mind of what racist Utah was but just needed a story to confirm her bias.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 29th, 2022, 12:00 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 28th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
August 28th, 2022, 10:41 pm
Yossarian wrote:
In other volleyball news

Probably not.

Lastly, BYU banned a fan. But the fan was apparently banned for approaching the Duke team after the game and the assumption is that the Duke team believed this may be the same fan who yelled the hard r. Good! But that is a far cry from what grammy claimed.
So another Eric Musselman's wife siruation? I found it odd that the girl felt like she needed security sitting behind the bench during the game to protect her. I guess protect her from the lynch mob that was obviously being formed in the stands? This story does have a similar feel to the Musselman story. The problem is - will there be a follow up story in USA Today? They have let the genie out of the bottle - if it was a misunderstanding, will they apologize? If it is true, will BYU take further action? If it is not a BYU student, then what? I could see how the godmother may have had a story in her mind of what racist Utah was but just needed a story to confirm her bias.
That is what is weird. She needed security but based on the byu press release they couldn’t identify the person.

Also the grandma said they needed security but she also suggested byu did nothing. That is contradictory. Did byu not provide the security that they say sat next to her?

I don’t remember musselmans wife allegations…I remember his team made crazy allegations to deflect from vandalizing usu property.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
USU78

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 29th, 2022, 8:41 am

Yeah, that BYU story has smelled fishy since I first heard it. I don't doubt someone said something, but the rest of it? I don't buy it.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 29th, 2022, 9:58 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:Yeah, that BYU story has smelled fishy since I first heard it. I don't doubt someone said something, but the rest of it? I don't buy it.
BYU said they identified the person doing it and banned them. The AD met with the player and assured her it was only one fan.

3rdGenAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 29th, 2022, 10:17 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
August 29th, 2022, 9:58 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:Yeah, that BYU story has smelled fishy since I first heard it. I don't doubt someone said something, but the rest of it? I don't buy it.
BYU said they identified the person doing it and banned them. The AD met with the player and assured her it was only one fan.

Not quite.
When last night’s behavior was initially reported by Duke, there was no individual pointed out and despite BYU security and event management’s efforts, they were not able to identify a perpetrator of racial slurs. It wasn’t until after the game that an individual was identified by Duke who they believed were uttering the slurs and exhibiting problematic behaviors
Basically Duke didn’t know who did it and then for whatever reason they believed they identified the person. Which even if they did identify the correct person, it is a is a far cry from what the older lady who is using this to promote her political campaign claimed.

The use of “they believed” seems like very hedged language to me. This person wasn’t a student so it’s pretty easy to ban the student off of a mere allegation of general belief.

BYU probably should have taken a more measured approach until they knew what happened.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 29th, 2022, 12:25 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
August 29th, 2022, 10:17 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
August 29th, 2022, 9:58 am

Not quite.
When last night’s behavior was initially reported by Duke, there was no individual pointed out and despite BYU security and event management’s efforts, they were not able to identify a perpetrator of racial slurs. It wasn’t until after the game that an individual was identified by Duke who they believed were uttering the slurs and exhibiting problematic behaviors
Basically Duke didn’t know who did it and then for whatever reason they believed they identified the person. Which even if they did identify the correct person, it is a is a far cry from what the older lady who is using this to promote her political campaign claimed.

The use of “they believed” seems like very hedged language to me. This person wasn’t a student so it’s pretty easy to ban the student off of a mere allegation of general belief.

BYU probably should have taken a more measured approach until they knew what happened.
Whatever happened, BYU is losing the PR battle. This story has been picked up by The New York Times and ABC News that I have seen this morning. It is getting away from BYU. How difficult would it have been for anyone that was in the area to identify the people making the comments? Especially if they were yelled every time the girl came to serve in the rotation? I would think there would be no shortage of people to rat the culprit(s) out in no time.

Anyway - congrats to the Lady Aggies on a huge win. Sometimes when the teams from power conferences leave home, they lose.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Old Fart Young @ Heart
Has thanked: 0

Post by Old Fart Young @ Heart » August 29th, 2022, 4:26 pm

My daughter and I came up for the weekend to watch the football game against UConn and the volleyball game against UCLA. I know I am a volleyball jeek but the volleyball game was fantastic!! The fans that were there great, especially the students.

The ticket prices were excellent. $6.00 for adults and $3.00 for youths and I got free parking. The action was nonstop and the women who play volleyball are great athletes.

For the price, it is great way to support aggie athletics and it's a cheap date. I hope everyone will support all USU athletes.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 29th, 2022, 4:34 pm

I'm thinking about taking my kids to support the volleyball team in enemy territory on Thursday. Never been to a volleyball match but it looks like it could be a good time.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Aggie19

LKGates

Post by LKGates » August 29th, 2022, 7:15 pm

Some of you may remember that OregonAggie1 and I did a road trip to Logan a few years ago. In less than 36 hours, we attended a soccer game, a hockey game, the football game, and a volleyball game. We had a blast. All four games were great. The volleyball game was, frankly, way more fun and exciting than I was anticipating.

I'm retired now, and I'm hoping I can convince the very fetching Mrs. LKGates to move to Logan. I envy those of you that live in the valley. If I lived there, I'd be at every single varsity sporting event, plus the concerts, plays, etc. Anyone who complains that "there's nothing to do in Logan" is just plain lazy.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 4):
USU78Aggie19LarryTheAggienewtonianblue

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » August 29th, 2022, 10:04 pm

Do we really need to thread jack the biggest win in a loooooong time at home for our volleyball team who have had maybe a more impressive turn around than the football team into a story about BYU. Go volleyball what they’re doing is incredible keep it up.
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
Aggie19

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » August 30th, 2022, 7:14 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 29th, 2022, 4:34 pm
I'm thinking about taking my kids to support the volleyball team in enemy territory on Thursday. Never been to a volleyball match but it looks like it could be a good time.
Volleyball is fun to watch. Men are usually more entertaining because of the greater the speed and power. The women are usually better skilled players overall. The Spectrum wasn't a great environment for volleyball because of the size but the Estes Center looks about perfect.

yBu generally has good teams and decent crowds. I doubt you get the same overall level of pricks at volleyball games there as you do for their football and basketball games, so it should be a good time.

My only experience at a yBu volleyball game was too long ago to be relevant but a fun story. We had a volleyball tournament at UVSC and after we got done playing late on Saturday we went to watch yBU play in the Marriott Center. They were playing someone like Cal State Long Beach or Northridge. Whoever it was, both were highly ranked and it was a good time with a large crowd. Those of us from the USU team that went were about the only ones cheering for whoever yBu was playing. yBu ended up losing in spectacular fashion and we went wild. Fortunately, the yBu fans behaved themselves.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 30th, 2022, 8:34 am

I wish I could have gone to the game. I rolled into town late on Friday and missed it. I know my wife would have loved to go.

coolag

Post by coolag » September 1st, 2022, 9:01 pm

Didn't put up much of a fight against Byu. Sad.

Regulator of Class

Locked Previous topicNext topic