Thompkins

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Coloraggie

Thompkins

Post by Coloraggie » August 10th, 2022, 3:44 pm

Great website for the Buccaneers called JoeBucsFan details every play in each practice. Yesterday Tampa Bay was doing drills with Miami. This is the last play practice #12 against Miami yesterday:

* Brady finds Deven Thompkins medium down the left side and Thompkins turns on the jets and is gone. Seems like these smurf receivers of the Bucs are able to burn the Dolphins defense with YAC.

Unfortunately on the 11th practice Thompkins dropped a pass.

From Practice 8: * Gabbert to Deven Thompkins who makes a nice catch while keeping both feet inbounds as he falls over the left sideline. AND * Thompkins gets a rep with the first team and Brady finds him over the middle. A good quarterback makes lesser players look better some say.

Joe thinks Thompkins is in competition to make the roster or at least to be on the practice squad.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 6):
AussieAggieDadAggie84025AggieArmyIdaAg93ViAggieFloridaAggie13

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Thompkins

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 11th, 2022, 4:19 am

Coloraggie wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 3:44 pm
Great website for the Buccaneers called JoeBucsFan details every play in each practice. Yesterday Tampa Bay was doing drills with Miami. This is the last play practice #12 against Miami yesterday:

* Brady finds Deven Thompkins medium down the left side and Thompkins turns on the jets and is gone. Seems like these smurf receivers of the Bucs are able to burn the Dolphins defense with YAC.

Unfortunately on the 11th practice Thompkins dropped a pass.

From Practice 8: * Gabbert to Deven Thompkins who makes a nice catch while keeping both feet inbounds as he falls over the left sideline. AND * Thompkins gets a rep with the first team and Brady finds him over the middle. A good quarterback makes lesser players look better some say.

Joe thinks Thompkins is in competition to make the roster or at least to be on the practice squad.
Some may say that a good qb makes lesser players look better, but some are idiots. Those who think on higher planes realize that DT is making grandpa Tom look better.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 11th, 2022, 7:24 am

DT is getting good press here and is spoken highly of by the coaching staff.

Last year the Bucs had a ton of injuries to their receivers late in the season, leaving them depleted going into the playoffs and they are trying to guard against that this year. They've brought in a lot of receivers and just signed Julio Jones as their fourth WR.

Unfortunately, this means DT is competing with about four other receivers - some who are draft picks from 2019-2021, for two spots.

He's in a tough position.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 11th, 2022, 9:05 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 7:24 am

Last year the Bucs had a ton of injuries to their receivers late in the season, leaving them depleted going into the playoffs and they are trying to guard against that this year. They've brought in a lot of receivers and just signed Julio Jones as their fourth WR.

Unfortunately, this means DT is competing with about four other receivers - some who are draft picks from 2019-2021, for two spots.

But he being talked about more than the other three?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 11th, 2022, 9:16 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:

90% of making an NFL roster as an UDFA is where you land. TB was probably the worst possible place for him to land in terms of the WR depth he's competing against.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 11th, 2022, 10:50 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 9:05 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

But he being talked about more than the other three?
If I had some AI or ML capabilities, I could probably program an algorithm to determine this with certainty. Lacking those skills, I can only speculate anecdotally; it does seem he gets more mentions both in the press and by the coaches.

Plus, an argument could be made that he may be in favor as the rookie with untapped potential vs a three-year veteran who is still battling for a roster spot. They already know what the latter can or can't do.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » August 11th, 2022, 12:11 pm

"
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
aggies22

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » August 11th, 2022, 12:45 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 12:11 pm
"
He made that look easy 👀👀
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 11th, 2022, 1:19 pm

Another thing that might be working against DT here is special teams. 5th or 6th receivers usually have to play on both coverage and return units. We know DT can be a capable returner of kicks and punts, but I don't know how well he could tackle on kickoffs or punts.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 11th, 2022, 1:23 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 1:19 pm
Another thing that might be working against DT here is special teams. 5th or 6th receivers usually have to play on both coverage and return units. We know DT can be a capable returner of kicks and punts, but I don't know how well he could tackle on kickoffs or punts.
He was pretty aggressive playing defense on offense.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 11th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 12:45 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 12:11 pm
"
He made that look easy 👀👀
Seriously. After he got by he was basically jogging while the other guy was running as hard as he could. Thompkins is fast - even for the NFL.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
aggies22

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » August 11th, 2022, 1:45 pm

Man I’m gonna miss me some DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
FloridaAggie13

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » August 11th, 2022, 3:46 pm

These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 11th, 2022, 4:49 pm

They wouldn’t post stuff like this if they thought he was getting cut, right?

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22FloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 11th, 2022, 5:26 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:46 pm

Dude facemasks him, Deven fixes his helmet in mid-route and hauls in the touchdown. Crazy. I wish he would have hung around one more year just because I selfishly want to still see him kick some a$$ in Aggie blue and white.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
USU78frankiesaysrelaxFloridaAggie13PIGSKINAGGIE

CanofShiz

Post by CanofShiz » August 11th, 2022, 6:11 pm

If DT gets cut he will be on another roster by the end of the day.
These users thanked the author CanofShiz for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 11th, 2022, 7:47 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 4:49 pm
They wouldn’t post stuff like this if they thought he was getting cut, right?

Who knows? Hopefully, the marketing team asked the coaches which play(s) impressed them the most that day and that's why DT ended up with his video.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » August 11th, 2022, 7:54 pm

They could be doing it in an effort to showcase DT as they like the kids but have no room for him. They have to know other teams have him on their radar already and if he wasn’t on the teams radar, videos like this would put him there. I doubt this is the case. I also doubt it means he’s making the team. Probably boils sheen to DT making a great play, thus the video.

FloridaAggie13

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 11th, 2022, 9:34 pm

CanofShiz wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 6:11 pm
If DT gets cut he will be on another roster by the end of the day.
I hope you’re right. The man deserves a real shot.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on Belichick’s radar. He has a nose for speedy undersized receivers with great hands.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 12th, 2022, 11:11 am

FeartheFro wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 7:54 pm
They could be doing it in an effort to showcase DT as they like the kids but have no room for him. They have to know other teams have him on their radar already and if he wasn’t on the teams radar, videos like this would put him there. I doubt this is the case. I also doubt it means he’s making the team. Probably boils sheen to DT making a great play, thus the video.

If they think he is good enough, but there just isn't room for him right now, they definitely don't want video of him getting out. They'd rather him stay under the radar so they can sign him to the practice squad.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » August 12th, 2022, 11:26 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

If they think he is good enough, but there just isn't room for him right now, they definitely don't want video of him getting out. They'd rather him stay under the radar so they can sign him to the practice squad.
That makes much more sense than the explanation I made up. I just want to see him playing on Sunday so bad that it hurts. I would have a hard time NOT cheering for him if he suited up for the Dallas Cowboys. He is such a special player.

FloridaAggie13

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 13th, 2022, 12:14 am

FeartheFro wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 11:26 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

That makes much more sense than the explanation I made up. I just want to see him playing on Sunday so bad that it hurts. I would have a hard time NOT cheering for him if he suited up for the Dallas Cowboys. He is such a special player.

That's a tough one, I hate the Cowboys THAT much. I have a hard time rooting for Fred Warner on my 49ers but it would probably be more difficult rooting for anyone on the Cowpoops.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » August 13th, 2022, 9:24 am

FeartheFro wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 11:26 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:

If the cowboys are wearing the throwback blues I could make this exception.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Locked Previous topicNext topic