WR Group excitement... well founded or pipe dream?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
El Sapo

Re: WR Group excitement... well founded or pipe dream?

Post by El Sapo » August 7th, 2022, 7:50 am

What I saw last season with McGriff is a guy who just needs to get better position vs his defender. He's not going to get the separation like other WR's. He needs to pin his guy behind him or to one side or the other. Should be doable. He should be a red zone nightmare for teams this season

SLB

Post by SLB » August 7th, 2022, 7:51 am

slcagg wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 7:42 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 10:56 am
SLCAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 10:26 am
Any word on Xavier Williams? I've heard Cobbs and Vaughn look great but haven't heard anything about Williams...
We'll see. He spent most of spring ball at 3rd team.
Sounds like he is still there. So surprising to me considering he actually played a little and had some stats at alabama when they had all that depth at receiver.
X is lower in the depth chart than he was at Alabama which is pretty telling that our WR is really good.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 7th, 2022, 8:42 am

slcagg wrote:
August 6th, 2022, 11:45 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 6th, 2022, 11:44 pm
Bonner mentioned in an interview shortly after camp started that there were a couple new receivers that arrived for fall camp that will be hard to keep off the field. Any thoughts on who he was referring to? New receivers that arrived after spring ball (I could be wrong): Malachi Keels, Jalen Royal, Austin Okerwa, Josh Davis, Quentin Riley, Kyrese Rowan.

My early guess is Malachi Keels. Seems to have the body and talent to make an impact right away.

Interested to get the opinions of you all, especially those that watched the scrimmage or have more access.
Jalen royal. 4.3 speed
Kyrese Rowan.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 7th, 2022, 8:45 am

El Sapo wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 7:50 am
What I saw last season with McGriff is a guy who just needs to get better position vs his defender. He's not going to get the separation like other WR's. He needs to pin his guy behind him or to one side or the other. Should be doable. He should be a red zone nightmare for teams this season
Justin McGriff has really bought into the teachings of Kyle Cefalo. He's gone from a kid that we were told was going to transfer at the end of last season to a kid that is ready to take a HUGE step forward.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
slcaggLarryTheAggieFloridaAggie13El Sapo

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » August 7th, 2022, 9:33 am

SLB wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 7:51 am
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLCAggie wrote:
Any word on Xavier Williams? I've heard Cobbs and Vaughn look great but haven't heard anything about Williams...
Sounds like he is still there. So surprising to me considering he actually played a little and had some stats at alabama when they had all that depth at receiver.
X is lower in the depth chart than he was at Alabama which is pretty telling that our WR is really good.
USU wide receivers > Alabama wide receivers

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 7th, 2022, 11:13 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 8:45 am
El Sapo wrote:
Justin McGriff has really bought into the teachings of Kyle Cefalo. He's gone from a kid that we were told was going to transfer at the end of last season to a kid that is ready to take a HUGE step forward.
A little OT here, but my bet is that we look back at this staff and say "Wow we struck gold" so many of these coaches are future DCs/OCs and HCs at big programs.

Our run from 2011-2018 was just absurd at helping develop a lot of assistants that coached here into big money jobs.

Cefalo is very much a rising star and will be a HC some day. Ditto for many of the assistants currently on staff.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
brownjeansFloridaAggie13

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 7th, 2022, 12:20 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 11:13 am
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
A little OT here, but my bet is that we look back at this staff and say "Wow we struck gold" so many of these coaches are future DCs/OCs and HCs at big programs.

Our run from 2011-2018 was just absurd at helping develop a lot of assistants that coached here into big money jobs.

Cefalo is very much a rising star and will be a HC some day. Ditto for many of the assistants currently on staff.
Cefalo seems like a dude that would be successful at anything he does. Great developer and seems his positivity spreads.

I sometimes forget we have chuckie but feel similar.

I also think Banda is ready for a head coaching job right now. He’d be at the top of my list as next head coach if Blake moves on after we win another MW championship this year.

SLB

Post by SLB » August 7th, 2022, 12:52 pm

slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
SLCAggie wrote:
I believe that Williams was the #4 WR at Alabama at one point. The fact that X is on the 3rd team is a real surprise and should not be taken lightly.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 7th, 2022, 1:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 12:20 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Cefalo seems like a dude that would be successful at anything he does. Great developer and seems his positivity spreads.

I also think Banda is ready for a head coaching job right now. He’d be at the top of my list as next head coach if Blake moves on after we win another MW championship this year.
Tucker and Banda will both get looks from bigger programs

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 7th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 1:12 pm
slcagg wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Tucker and Banda ALREADY GOT looks from bigger programs and turned them down.

SLB

Post by SLB » August 7th, 2022, 1:42 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 1:39 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 1:12 pm
slcagg wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Tucker and Banda ALREADY GOT looks from bigger programs and turned them down.
If we went to a P5 conference, we could keep them for a number of years.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » August 7th, 2022, 9:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 8:42 am
slcagg wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Bonner mentioned in an interview shortly after camp started that there were a couple new receivers that arrived for fall camp that will be hard to keep off the field. Any thoughts on who he was referring to? New receivers that arrived after spring ball (I could be wrong): Malachi Keels, Jalen Royal, Austin Okerwa, Josh Davis, Quentin Riley, Kyrese Rowan.

My early guess is Malachi Keels. Seems to have the body and talent to make an impact right away.

Interested to get the opinions of you all, especially those that watched the scrimmage or have more access.
Jalen royal. 4.3 speed
Kyrese Rowan.
Great news! Isn't this Emmit's son? If so I talked to him this summer. He had been disappointed to be at Utah rather than Utah State. He said he didn't even get a sniff from the last coaching staff. So, it's great he is finally getting his shot!

#hornsup!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 7th, 2022, 10:34 pm

It’s crazy that we’re talking about having somewhere like 10 legit WR’s on the roster, if one is to believe the hype.

We aren’t that far removed from the days when someone like Eric Moats (sorry to use a specific name) was actually starting.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 8th, 2022, 5:09 am

Blue Sage wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 9:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 8:42 am
slcagg wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Jalen royal. 4.3 speed

Kyrese Rowan.
Great news! Isn't this Emmit's son? If so I talked to him this summer. He had been disappointed to be at Utah rather than Utah State. He said he didn't even get a sniff from the last coaching staff. So, it's great he is finally getting his shot!
Correct. Kyrese is indeed the son of Emmett.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 8th, 2022, 7:12 am

Madmartigan wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Nah, I have to strongly disagree. This is one of the weakest coaching staffs we've had and is comparable to the Arslanian and Brent Guy programs. Last year was purely a fluke - got lucky with some hungry receivers and Bonner playing out of his head. The team was obviously disorganized due to an overwhelming lack of internal controls put in place by an out of touch coaching staff that often times didn't even seem to care what was going on.

P5 schools would be flat out idiots to come sniffing around. Hiring anyone from this staff would be a career killer for a P5 Athletic Director. ;)
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
USU78brownjeans

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 8th, 2022, 7:21 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 10:34 pm
It’s crazy that we’re talking about having somewhere like 10 legit WR’s on the roster, if one is to believe the hype.

We aren’t that far removed from the days when someone like Eric Moats (sorry to use a specific name) was actually starting.
We actually were pretty sparse in the WR room for a few years, especially 2016, after Hunter Sharpe graduated. It will be nice if we can get a room full of receivers (well, all positions really) where we are talent rich going forward 3-5 years. GA 1.0 was able to set this up but Wells wasn't able to keep it going, hence the 2015-2017 seasons.

We can do that through aggressive recruiting, skillful coaching, and the continual emphasis on competition at each position.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 8th, 2022, 11:30 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 7:21 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 10:34 pm

We actually were pretty sparse in the WR room for a few years, especially 2016, after Hunter Sharpe graduated. It will be nice if we can get a room full of receivers (well, all positions really) where we are talent rich going forward 3-5 years. GA 1.0 was able to set this up but Wells wasn't able to keep it going, hence the 2015-2017 seasons.

We can do that through aggressive recruiting, skillful coaching, and the continual emphasis on competition at each position.
GA 1.0 had some nice starters but never the depth we have now.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic