Update on Justin Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Pacobag

Re: Update on Justin Bean

Post by Pacobag » June 1st, 2022, 10:39 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 6:15 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 9:26 am
Elkaggie wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 9:43 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
May 29th, 2022, 10:29 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 9:50 pm
I love that he's hell bent on playing in the NBA. No doubt he'll get there. I wish JC had that same attitude instead of settling for a cushy life in Spain.
Jaycee spent three years in NBA training camps. All three times the team he was with tried making him a point guard, completely negating his true talents and skill set. If he'd come out five years later, he probably would have stuck somewhere as the game today really doesn't have pure position expectations anymore.
He’s a 6’1” shooting guard that’s not very athletic, couldn’t guard nor handle the ball. He was never going to make it or stick in the NBA. I freaking love the dude, one of my all time favorites but there aren’t many dudes that are 6’1” that stick in the nba period, let alone ones that are as limited as him in all other aspects of the game besides shooting.

Going to Europe when he did was absolutely the right thing to do. At least imho
Nonsense, JC was a great athlete with a mean cross-over, non-stop motor and serious handles. Just because he was an all-time great shooter doesn't mean he didn't know how to handle a basketball. In fact, he would break guys down off the dribble and make them pay for closing out on him all the time. My favorite move of his was this high arching floter in the lane. He would dunk on occasion which you can't do if you're "not very athletic."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jc+carr ... UzIQU,st:0
I honestly can’t tell if you are serious or not.
Great Athlete, serious handles and dunking were characteristics that were NEVER associated with him.
Jaycee was awesome. Amazing scorer, shooter, and well conditioned…. one of my favorite Aggie b-ball players. I believe he had 2-3 total dunks during his 4 year USU career. IMO, for a D1 basketball player, his handles, hops, quickness, and defense were ok but definitely not great.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 2nd, 2022, 12:34 pm

I remember watching highlights and even full games of Jaycee's first few years over seas and actually being bummed about how poorly he was utilized at USU. He was asked to run the point quite a bit in those first years over there and he was very good off the dribble and could create for others and get his own shot whenever he wanted. Before going to Real Madrid, he had displayed that he was a more than capable PG. At USU (and Real Madrid) he was never asked to do those type of things because he was so elite at one thing...shooting. If given the opportunity and a year or two to gain experience at USU, I think Jaycee could have been a pretty unstoppable PG on offense. He did lack some lateral quickness on defense but even that was improved quite a bit over his years as a professional. Unfortunately for him, his scoring and shooting prowess always took precedence because it was so relied upon for the team. I think the team dependence on that part of this game hindered his development of other skills during his time in Logan.

I think people forget how great of an athlete he was. Yes he was an energizer bunny that seemed to never stay still for a moment during 40 min. of play but he was also an amazing leaper and rebounder, especially for his size, an amazing finisher at the rim and decisions maker on the drive while still being super skilled from mid-range and from deep. He remains one of the best shooters I have ever seen at any level of ball.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13Real Life Aggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 2nd, 2022, 1:22 pm

These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 5):
3rdGenAggieaggies22brossp24Real Life AggiecdaAg

Aggies All the Way!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 2nd, 2022, 3:28 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 12:34 pm
I remember watching highlights and even full games of Jaycee's first few years over seas and actually being bummed about how poorly he was utilized at USU. He was asked to run the point quite a bit in those first years over there and he was very good off the dribble and could create for others and get his own shot whenever he wanted. Before going to Real Madrid, he had displayed that he was a more than capable PG. At USU (and Real Madrid) he was never asked to do those type of things because he was so elite at one thing...shooting. If given the opportunity and a year or two to gain experience at USU, I think Jaycee could have been a pretty unstoppable PG on offense. He did lack some lateral quickness on defense but even that was improved quite a bit over his years as a professional. Unfortunately for him, his scoring and shooting prowess always took precedence because it was so relied upon for the team. I think the team dependence on that part of this game hindered his development of other skills during his time in Logan.

I think people forget how great of an athlete he was. Yes he was an energizer bunny that seemed to never stay still for a moment during 40 min. of play but he was also an amazing leaper and rebounder, especially for his size, an amazing finisher at the rim and decisions maker on the drive while still being super skilled from mid-range and from deep. He remains one of the best shooters I have ever seen at any level of ball.
Well said. JC had what it took, period.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies22

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » June 2nd, 2022, 3:53 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 3:28 pm
Aglicious wrote:

Well said. JC had what it took, period.
Agreed he had what it took to be a really good European player.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 2nd, 2022, 6:27 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 3:53 pm
Unnecessary, and dismissive, qualifier. Timing was bad for him and the NBA.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
cvalFloridaAggie13Real Life Aggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » June 3rd, 2022, 12:27 pm

I think people underestimate the responsibilities of an NBA point guard, especially when Jaycee was playing. He's the quarterback of the offense which requires not only the physical abilities, but the instinctive qualities only developed after tens of thousands of repetitions over the years. Taking a shooting guard and making him a PG after he finishes his college career was a waste of time and a long shot at best.

Teams should have seen him for what he was, a shooter and a scorer who could also handle the ball, though not as well as a PG. I thought he could have been a Jeff Hornacek type of player if put in the right situation.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 3rd, 2022, 10:12 pm

brownjeans wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 6:27 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 3:53 pm
Unnecessary, and dismissive, qualifier. Timing was bad for him and the NBA.
The timing was bad, Stew didn't care to help him prepare for the NBA, Europe was overly illuring, and he probably didn't pursue it hard/long enough. All were factors. But he was an NBA-caliber player. One of his old teammates, Luka Dončić even made comments to that effect.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
pilotaggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » June 4th, 2022, 11:47 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 10:12 pm
The timing was bad, Stew didn't care to help him prepare for the NBA, Europe was overly illuring, and he probably didn't pursue it hard/long enough. All were factors. But he was an NBA-caliber player. One of his old teammates, Luka Dončić even made comments to that effect.
Did Stew state that? I just figured it was more about giving the team the best chance to succeed rather than Stew not caring about Jaycee’s individual development and success.

All 30 NBA teams and their staffs didn’t sign Jaycee. He was clearly on the fringe.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
dirtnsnow

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 5th, 2022, 12:52 pm

Aglicious wrote:

I agree with this. Jaycee was way more athletic than what he gets credit for.

Question:

Which was the better athlete; Jaycee Carroll or Jared Quayle?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » June 5th, 2022, 5:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 12:52 pm
Aglicious wrote:

I agree with this. Jaycee was way more athletic than what he gets credit for.

Question:

Which was the better athlete; Jaycee Carroll or Jared Quayle?
I would say Jared Quayle. They have different body types but I say Jared just because of how strong he is.
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » June 23rd, 2022, 10:29 am

Any guessed where our guy Bean ends up after today???

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 23rd, 2022, 11:02 am

Probably a Summer League chance in OKC, Utah, or Chicago.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTFromLItoLogan

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » June 23rd, 2022, 4:43 pm

NVAggie wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 11:02 am
Probably a Summer League chance in OKC, Utah, or Chicago.
If the jazz pick him up for summer league I will buy one of those ugly highlighter yellow jerseys
These users thanked the author FromLItoLogan for the post:
AggiePT

signalwar

Post by signalwar » June 23rd, 2022, 11:43 pm

I hear Bean made the all tourney team at Portsmith? Any info anywhere?
These users thanked the author signalwar for the post:
aggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » June 23rd, 2022, 11:54 pm

signalwar wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 11:43 pm
I hear Bean made the all tourney team at Portsmith? Any info anywhere?
According to this site, Bean was one of 12 who made the all tourney team.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft ... vitational
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
aggies22

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » June 23rd, 2022, 11:58 pm

Bean signed with the Clippers tonight, hope he gets a chance to prove himself!

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 4):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0USU78Real Life Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 24th, 2022, 12:00 am

usufan1 wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 11:58 pm
Bean signed with the Clippers tonight, hope he gets a chance to prove himself!

Was it a 2-way deal?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 24th, 2022, 12:03 am

I JUST talked to Justin. Here's the deal, they called his agent right after the draft and said they want him and 2 other players to come in for summer league and training camp and compete for a two-way! An E10 with them is the floor if the two-way doesn’t happen.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
cdaAgPacobagUSU78MrBiggleReal Life Aggie

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » June 24th, 2022, 12:08 am

aggies22 wrote:I JUST talked to Justin. Here's the deal, they called his agent right after the draft and said they want him and 2 other players to come in for summer league and training camp and compete for a two-way! An E10 with them is the floor if the two-way doesn’t happen.
That's awesome! I just saw it posted on the usu basketball Facebook account and couldn't find any details.

Thanks for the update 22!

Good luck Justin!

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 24th, 2022, 7:10 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:03 am
I JUST talked to Justin. Here's the deal, they called his agent right after the draft and said they want him and 2 other players to come in for summer league and training camp and compete for a two-way! An E10 with them is the floor if the two-way doesn’t happen.
What is an E10?
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 24th, 2022, 7:11 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 7:10 am
aggies22 wrote:
What is an E10?
Summer league contract
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025aggies22Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 24th, 2022, 8:04 am

slcagg wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 7:11 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
What is an E10?
Summer league contract
I believe it also guarantees no worse than a spot on the Clippers G-League team.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » June 24th, 2022, 8:14 am

Wait, I though he was getting drafted?

In all seriousness good for him. Hopefully he gets a shot and can stick but I think Europe is still his best chance.

IditarodAGGIE

Post by IditarodAGGIE » June 24th, 2022, 8:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 8:04 am
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
What is an E10?
Summer league contract
I believe it also guarantees no worse than a spot on the Clippers G-League team.
“ An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary NBA contract. The deal has a particular Exhibit 10 attached to it and no bonuses come along with it. This attachment is included in the contract after both the sides (team and the player) have agreed to it.

An Exhibit 10 contract gives a franchise the flexibility to convert it into a two-way deal, but the team has to ensure that it happens before the commencement of the regular season. Exhibit 10 deals are usually non-guaranteed, which means the team can waive the player and get the cap hit off their payroll.”
These users thanked the author IditarodAGGIE for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggie84025

“In every single day, in every walk of life, ordinary people do extraordinary things. Ordinary People accomplish Extraordinary things.” -Jim Valvano

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 24th, 2022, 8:37 am

Elkaggie wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 8:14 am
Wait, I though he was getting drafted?

In all seriousness good for him. Hopefully he gets a shot and can stick but I think Europe is still his best chance.
No, no, you're mistaken. He didn't come back for his final year of eligibility because he was a walk on. Naturally, all walk ons end up being recruited over. He just couldn't cut it. :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, reading some of those threads from 2019 made me chuckle sensibly.

Aggies All the Way!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 24th, 2022, 8:51 am

IditarodAGGIE wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 8:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
What is an E10?
Summer league contract
“ An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary NBA contract. The deal has a particular Exhibit 10 attached to it and no bonuses come along with it. This attachment is included in the contract after both the sides (team and the player) have agreed to it.

An Exhibit 10 contract gives a franchise the flexibility to convert it into a two-way deal, but the team has to ensure that it happens before the commencement of the regular season. Exhibit 10 deals are usually non-guaranteed, which means the team can waive the player and get the cap hit off their payroll.”
he does get a $50,000 bonus if he sticks with the G league affiliate for 60 days.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 24th, 2022, 9:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
What is an E10?
Summer league contract
The Clippers control his G League rights but he isn’t guaranteed a spot on that team.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 24th, 2022, 10:55 am

I am happy for Justin to get an opportunity to prove himself. One thing is for sure is Justin is a fighter from being a walk on to all conference player. I would love to see him make the team.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 24th, 2022, 12:02 pm

Meanwhile the guy that Queta regularly b*tch slapped around from CSU gets drafted in the first round. Go figure.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
aggies22

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » June 24th, 2022, 12:17 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:02 pm
Meanwhile the guy that Queta regularly b*tch slapped around from CSU gets drafted in the first round. Go figure.
Roddy is a bust. Reading his draft report and watching him in person you find a couple of things. He is too short to guard a center and too slow to guard a wing. Offensively, he doesn't have a lot of moves, he is a decent shoot but doesn't have a quick shot and is bothered by length of a defender. As a non-star he won't get the calls that he did in college and, IMO, his getting favorable calls was half of his worth in the MWC. So Roddy excelled when he got to go against slower and shorter players that he could push around and not get called for fouls. None of those things are true in the NBA. He may get a few minutes since he was drafted but I doubt he gets any minutes after the first year.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22CodingAggieBlue

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 24th, 2022, 12:39 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
Roddy is a bust. Reading his draft report and watching him in person you find a couple of things. He is too short to guard a center and too slow to guard a wing. Offensively, he doesn't have a lot of moves, he is a decent shoot but doesn't have a quick shot and is bothered by length of a defender. As a non-star he won't get the calls that he did in college and, IMO, his getting favorable calls was half of his worth in the MWC. So Roddy excelled when he got to go against slower and shorter players that he could push around and not get called for fouls. None of those things are true in the NBA. He may get a few minutes since he was drafted but I doubt he gets any minutes after the first year.
I was surprised he was picked in the 1st for sure. To me Roddy = Matt Mitchell. Both too small in the pros to play their college position and too slow to be a good enough guard. Both great college players, should have great pro careers overseas. Guess we'll see if it's us or the scouts who are in the wrong line of work 🙂
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » June 24th, 2022, 1:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 10:55 am
I am happy for Justin to get an opportunity to prove himself. One thing is for sure is Justin is a fighter from being a walk on to all conference player. I would love to see him make the team.
Basically what Bean got is a walk on opportunity in the NBA. Let’s see if he can go from walk on to all star 😂
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
USU78

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » June 24th, 2022, 1:19 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:39 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
I was surprised he was picked in the 1st for sure. To me Roddy = Matt Mitchell. Both too small in the pros to play their college position and too slow to be a good enough guard. Both great college players, should have great pro careers overseas. Guess we'll see if it's us or the scouts who are in the wrong line of work 🙂
I also was really surprised to see Roddy drafted, and at that, in the first round. A year ago if you had told me Roddy would be a first rounder I would have also thought Bean would have been as well. Team success seems to really makes a difference when it comes to the draft. Had we won the MW been ranked and won our close games would Bean have been the first rounder?
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 24th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 12:39 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
I was super surprised he went in the first round and will get a guaranteed contract. To me he was a mid to late 2nd round guy you draft and take a chance on, but not one you give a guaranteed contract to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic