Utah Jazz 2021-22 thread

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Utah Jazz 2021-22 thread

Post by brownjeans » May 9th, 2022, 11:18 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 10:00 am
The trade I would be happy seeing:

I don't know what it would look like in the end, but the big pieces are:

NY Knicks get Donovan Mitchell
Utah Jazz get RJ Barrett

Not sure how you'd make salaries work...likely a third team would have to be involved. Donovan might waive his 15% trade kicker if NY is where he really wants to be.

Barrett is 6'6 and gives Utah a really good perimeter defender. He also scored 20 per game last year and is a decent enough shooter (34% from 3). Saves Utah money next year (he'll get a max after that) and is younger.

I actually think NY is probably the one who says no, although Donovan is heading into his prime so if they think they could sign another star or think he fits well enough with Randle they might go for it. Their defense would be appalling though.

Also, they might not want to with the hopes of keeping Barrett and signing Donovan as a free agent, but he couldn't do so for 3 more years and may be traded somewhere else where he's more likely to re-sign between then and now (like Miami). It'd be a big risk to just hope he signs as a FA.

Do you think there is any reasonable way Utah could get RJ Barrett from NY?
Barrett, Immanuel Quickley, either Randle or Fournier, and a couple first-round picks or I'm not interested. Actually, give BOTH Randle and Fournier and the Jazz give Conley too - that'd be great.

I actually like Quickley more than I like Barrett. I know Donovan has ties to NY, but there aren't a lot of players I like on NY. I don't know that they're the best choice as a trade partner. I want a player in year 2 or 3 with star potential and other assets. A team should be willing to trade an unproven young potential star for a proven star in Mitchell.
My problem with Barrett is that I don't think there's a lot of upside and he's a nice player, but the only starting player on the Jazz I think he'd replace is Royce.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » May 9th, 2022, 11:33 am

Pillaging the Knicks' current roster (or any of their rosters since Ewing left) is not the way to get better.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 3):
brownjeans3rdGenAggieaggies22

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 10th, 2022, 8:30 pm

lol I guess we are the "just do something for the sake of doing something" cycle. Donovan Mitchell isn't going to be traded, but if he was, the Jazz sure as hell better get something much stronger than RJ Barrett.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » May 11th, 2022, 11:17 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... -Offseason

Sounds like smith is more worried about having players participate in the all star game than making the team better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 11th, 2022, 11:21 am

tysteve20 wrote:
May 11th, 2022, 11:17 am

Sounds like smith is more worried about having players participate in the all star game than making the team better.

Well trading mitchell would make the team worse not better. And yeah it helps to have all stars on your roster. Teams without all stars dont win many games.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 11th, 2022, 11:33 am

tysteve20 wrote:
May 11th, 2022, 11:17 am

Generally speaking, I think winning is not a top priority for Smith. He's more into hanging with celebrities and being a political figure. The Jazz give him a platform to do both. Winning helps, but isn't completely necessary for him to accomplish those goals.

I'd love them to trade Conley or Royce, but I can't imagine either have much value. Neither are expiring, Conley is old and stunk it up in teh playoffs. Royce is way overpaid if he's going to play defense like he has been lately.

They could trade Bogey, I guess, but he's far and away our second best offensive player (way more efficient than Clarkson) and not close to the worst defensive player.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 11th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Winning and All Stars. Chicken and egg argument.
Does winning produce all stars, or do all stars produce winning?

Keep in mind, there's a strong element of popularity in the all star equation that doesn't necessarily correlate to how good the player currently is. Take Andrew Wiggins - he's made himself into a good player, but good enough to be a starter on the all star team? No.
3rdGenAggie

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » May 12th, 2022, 2:05 pm

brownjeans wrote:Winning and All Stars. Chicken and egg argument.

Keep in mind, there's a strong element of popularity in the all star equation that doesn't necessarily correlate to how good the player currently is. Take Andrew Wiggins - he's made himself into a good player, but good enough to be a starter on the all star team? No.
Amen.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

BamaAggie

Post by BamaAggie » May 19th, 2022, 8:06 pm

When will we start seeing teams making moves, either trades or through free agency? Word out of Phoenix is Ayton is unhappy and is due for a big pay day. The likelihood of keeping him and CP3 is unlikely. Any chance the Jazz could land him through a multi team deal for Gobert?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 19th, 2022, 10:05 pm

BamaAggie wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 8:06 pm
When will we start seeing teams making moves, either trades or through free agency? Word out of Phoenix is Ayton is unhappy and is due for a big pay day. The likelihood of keeping him and CP3 is unlikely. Any chance the Jazz could land him through a multi team deal for Gobert?
I don't think anything was going to happen until the draft order was set. That's set now. I think it's also unlikely for there to be movement while the playoffs are still going. Trades don't usually start happening until closer to the draft (June 23). And then if a sign-and-trade is part of the picture, I think they have to wait for free agency (June 30). In other words, probably won't see anything for about five weeks.

An Ayton/Gobert trade would be pretty good - but I'm not convinced that any NBA team should invest a lot of money on a center these days.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 19th, 2022, 10:11 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 11th, 2022, 3:20 pm
Winning and All Stars. Chicken and egg argument.

Not a starter, but he was an all star this year and has really helped the Warriors this year. RJ Barrett could be an Andrew Wiggins type on a contending team. If you could add Barrett to the current Jazz team, ok. As the solution to replace Mitchell? No thanks. It is going to take more than that. If people are complaining the Jazz aren't good enough with Mitchell as your main piece, the only option is to tank and hope you get a superstar in the draft. You won't get a better player than Mitchell through trade and none are coming in free agency.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 28th, 2022, 11:33 am

Would you trade Gobert for Keegan Murray or AJ Griffin?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 28th, 2022, 11:57 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 11:33 am
I really like Keegan Murray. The number 4 pick you thinking?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 28th, 2022, 2:19 pm

Possibly. Murray is a good athlete with great size and a really impressive scorer. He would be awesome on the Jazz. He was clearly the best player Utah State played last year. If felt like he didn't miss in that game.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 28th, 2022, 7:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 11:57 am
brownjeans wrote:
I don't know if a team would be interested in trading a top-five pick for either Rudy or Donovan, but I was looking at the draft and wondering who I would like best. Smith, Murray, and Griffin are the guys I like best. Smith is probably going no. 1 and I don't know that Orlando would trade the no. 1 pick.
Trading either Rudy or Donovan for a rookie, even a top pick, would be a risk for the Jazz, and the team the Jazz trade with would probably need to be under the cap, or the Jazz would have to take a bad contract to make the trade work. Not sure if there's a team who would fit the criteria and also be willing. Just thinking out loud a bit.
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 28th, 2022, 7:55 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 7:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
I don't know if a team would be interested in trading a top-five pick for either Rudy or Donovan, but I was looking at the draft and wondering who I would like best. Smith, Murray, and Griffin are the guys I like best. Smith is probably going no. 1 and I don't know that Orlando would trade the no. 1 pick.
Trading either Rudy or Donovan for a rookie, even a top pick, would be a risk for the Jazz, and the team the Jazz trade with would probably need to be under the cap, or the Jazz would have to take a bad contract to make the trade work. Not sure if there's a team who would fit the criteria and also be willing. Just thinking out loud a bit.
Sacramento might be willing to trade I read. And they love centers

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 28th, 2022, 9:34 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 7:55 pm
brownjeans wrote:
May 28th, 2022, 7:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sacramento might be willing to trade I read. And they love centers
I saw a scenario where Sacramento would trade Barnes, one of their centers (Queta please), this year's no. 4 pick, and a combination of future first- and/or second-round picks for Rudy. I think I'd do that.
I read this - https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball ... urth-pick/
Our Mitchell for theirs, plus Barnes, Holiday, the no. 4 pick, and a combination of future firsts or first-round swaps? I think I'd do that too.
I'd also probably do Donovan to the Kicks for Barrett, Quickly, the 11th pick and two or three future 1st-round picks or pick swaps.

Basically, I think if we trade Donovan, we should get the kind of package Oklahoma City got for Paul George.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
slcagg3rdGenAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 1st, 2022, 10:13 am

I'm starting to feel pretty pessimistic about the future of the Jazz as a contending team - and it doesn't have to do with players and coaching that much, it's an ownership thing.
Smith seems to want to be heavily involved in the operation of the team. The best model seems to be owners who hire good team management and back that management but let them do the job they hired them to do. They back management over players. (Players don't know how to manage. The Lakers have let LeBron ruin them - as a Laker hater, I love it).
I don't trust that Smith is going to be a good owner yet.
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 1st, 2022, 10:52 am

brownjeans wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 10:13 am
I'm starting to feel pretty pessimistic about the future of the Jazz as a contending team - and it doesn't have to do with players and coaching that much, it's an ownership thing.
Smith seems to want to be heavily involved in the operation of the team. The best model seems to be owners who hire good team management and back that management but let them do the job they hired them to do. They back management over players. (Players don't know how to manage. The Lakers have let LeBron ruin them - as a Laker hater, I love it).
I also am not convinced winning is the top priority for Smith. I think under his ownership the Jazz might have sort of a "win enough to be relevant, but the first priorities are politics and making Ryan Smith more celebrity friends."

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 10:52 am
brownjeans wrote:
I also am not convinced winning is the top priority for Smith. I think under his ownership the Jazz might have sort of a "win enough to be relevant, but the first priorities are politics and making Ryan Smith more celebrity friends."
You are basing this off what? That Dwade is one of the minority owners? You think he brought Dwade aboard "just to hang out with a celebrity" and not because Dwade being a hall of fame player and one of the most respected players of the last 20 years might be able to help the team win? Or is that he spoke out on a bigoted bill that could hurt Utah from getting future sporting events that the Republican governor also didn't support?
If he didn't care about winning he wouldn't have demoted Dennis Lindsay and brought in Danny Ainge. He wouldn't have the 6th highest payroll in the league. It isn't even really the offseason yet. The Jazz will be making moves including possibly Gobert. If you are going to make the proclamation that he doesn't care about winning, at least wait until after July.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 1st, 2022, 9:48 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
You are basing this off what? That Dwade is one of the minority owners? You think he brought Dwade aboard "just to hang out with a celebrity" and not because Dwade being a hall of fame player and one of the most respected players of the last 20 years might be able to help the team win? Or is that he spoke out on a bigoted bill that could hurt Utah from getting future sporting events that the Republican governor also didn't support?
If he didn't care about winning he wouldn't have demoted Dennis Lindsay and brought in Danny Ainge. He wouldn't have the 6th highest payroll in the league. It isn't even really the offseason yet. The Jazz will be making moves including possibly Gobert. If you are going to make the proclamation that he doesn't care about winning, at least wait until after July.
Just the vibe I get. Winning is A priority, but I'm not convinced it's THE priority. I could be wrong.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 1st, 2022, 9:59 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 9:48 pm
June 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Just the vibe I get. Winning is A priority, but I'm not convinced it's THE priority. I could be wrong.
Ok we'll see. I would take an up and coming entrepreneur who is a life long Jazz fan over Gail Miller's 12 year run. It was time for fresh blood and if nothing else I see Smith as a guy who will spend the money and so far has made some good moves with who he has brought in. You can hate Ainge for his zoobiness, but he was a good executive in Boston who built a title team and now has a team he mostly built in the finals. I don't know of a better hire the Jazz could have made for CEO.

Even if his primary focus were other things, you don't get people to care about those other things if you are a terrible owner. Mark Cuban clearly is focused on other things, but if the Mavs weren't a successful franchise, it would be a joke to have him all over media like he is. Imagine if Donald Sterling was a judge on Shark Tank? Yeah it doesn't work with a guy who had a losing team for 30 years.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 1st, 2022, 11:41 pm

June 1st, 2022, 9:59 pm
Ok we'll see. I would take an up and coming entrepreneur who is a life long Jazz fan over Gail Miller's 12 year run. It was time for fresh blood and if nothing else I see Smith as a guy who will spend the money and so far has made some good moves with who he has brought in. You can hate Ainge for his zoobiness, but he was a good executive in Boston who built a title team and now has a team he mostly built in the finals. I don't know of a better hire the Jazz could have made for CEO.

Even if his primary focus were other things, you don't get people to care about those other things if you are a terrible owner. Mark Cuban clearly is focused on other things, but if the Mavs weren't a successful franchise, it would be a joke to have him all over media like he is. Imagine if Donald Sterling was a judge on Shark Tank? Yeah it doesn't work with a guy who had a losing team for 30 years.
Will Smith let Ainge do his job, or will he interfere? This is where he makes me nervous. Teams with owners who interfere are usually pretty bad.
I don't think we know what kind of owner Smith is yet.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 2nd, 2022, 10:22 pm

brownjeans wrote:
June 1st, 2022, 11:41 pm
June 1st, 2022, 9:59 pm

Will Smith let Ainge do his job, or will he interfere? This is where he makes me nervous. Teams with owners who interfere are usually pretty bad.
I don't think we know what kind of owner Smith is yet.
Will Smith? That must be one of the celebs Ryan Smith is friends with. Good, I've been waiting for an After Earth sequel for a close to a decade and now Ryan Smith can spend a 100 million to fund it.

As for Ryan Smith interfering, we'll see. It depends what interfering means. I agree he shouldn't be involved in player personnel, but he should be active in making sure the Jazz have the best people running things. Funnily enough, look at the Bucks for an example where an owner was involved and it paid off in relation to Jazz Gm Justin Zanik. Supposedly Justin Zanik was lined up to run the Bucks to replace John Hammond who is now with the Magic(Yeah he is running basketball teams after creating Jurassic Park). Zanik was an assistant GM in Milwaukee and ready to move up like he has in Utah, but one of the 3 owners vetoed him being promoted at the last second, saying it felt wrong. Zanik was offended and left the Bucks for the Jazz, and the Bucks named unknown front office man John Horst in the role in his early 30s. He fired Kidd and hired Bud, signed Lopez and other great pieces, and helped make the Bucks one of the best franchises in the league almost overnight when they hadn't won a playoff series in nearly 20 years.

That story will give you a clue about how I feel about Zanik and what I believe Smith should regarding the GM position.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 2nd, 2022, 10:27 pm

A lot of smoke out there about Snyder not coming back.

On his podcast, Tony Jones said that the Jazz offered him an extension with a pretty big raise a while ago. The fact that he hasn't accepted it yet is speaking pretty loudly.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 3rd, 2022, 5:19 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 10:27 pm

On his podcast, Tony Jones said that the Jazz offered him an extension with a pretty big raise a while ago. The fact that he hasn't accepted it yet is speaking pretty loudly.
Why did tony say he might not be happy?

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 3rd, 2022, 8:08 am

slcagg wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 5:19 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:

He guessed the biggest thing is that there was a lot of internal strife in the locker room this year...more than was ever made public.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 3rd, 2022, 9:07 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 8:08 am
slcagg wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 5:19 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:

He guessed the biggest thing is that there was a lot of internal strife in the locker room this year...more than was ever made public.
Pretty obvious with how the team underachieved.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » June 3rd, 2022, 7:46 pm

Some ESPN guy was telling that Snyder has philosophical differences with management. I really hope Smith isn't trying to be a basketball expert and stick his fingers into things. Smith need to stick to technology and let the Jazz staff work.

I think Snyder is one of the best coaches out there. Sure he hasn't made deep playoff runs, but only 4 coaches a year do make a deep run. In the last four years, Snyder has had a top ranked offense and also top ranked defense. He knows his stuff. Deep playoff runs will be in the future with a better gelling group.

These users thanked the author SSaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 4th, 2022, 1:27 am

SSaggie wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 7:46 pm
Some ESPN guy was telling that Snyder has philosophical differences with management. I really hope Smith isn't trying to be a basketball expert and stick his fingers into things. Smith need to stick to technology and let the Jazz staff work.

I think Snyder is one of the best coaches out there. Sure he hasn't made deep playoff runs, but only 4 coaches a year do make a deep run. In the last four years, Snyder has had a top ranked offense and also top ranked defense. He knows his stuff. Deep playoff runs will be in the future with a better gelling group.

Has nothing to do with Smith. He’s upset they tried to trade Ingles last summer. He has had issues with the front office for awhile and it blew up last summer when Lindsey was asked to leave.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » June 4th, 2022, 8:16 am

Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

Has nothing to do with Smith. He’s upset they tried to trade Ingles last summer. He has had issues with the front office for awhile and it blew up last summer when Lindsey was asked to leave.
Good to hear. Was Lindsey part of the front office problem?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 4th, 2022, 8:57 am

SSaggie wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 8:16 am
Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

Yes. Not sure when it started but drafting Azibuke was something no one else in the organization wanted but DL and apparently Snyder was furious. Trying to trade Ingles and our playoff failure is what really did them in.

I shouldn’t say it has nothing to do with Smith but I do know the big issue was DL and the personnel people.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 4th, 2022, 10:17 am

Intermeddler wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 8:57 am
SSaggie wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

Yes. Not sure when it started but drafting Azibuke was something no one else in the organization wanted but DL and apparently Snyder was furious. Trying to trade Ingles and our playoff failure is what really did them in.

I shouldn’t say it has nothing to do with Smith but I do know the big issue was DL and the personnel people.
Taking azubuike over bane will always be stupid and Snyder is right to be angry. Bane would have fit very well on the Jazz and would have helped them take the next step. Snyder was wrong about boycotting the Ingles trade last Summer. Ingles is not what he used to be and they could have actually gotten something productive for him had they pulled the trigger in 2021 compared to this past February.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 4th, 2022, 2:24 pm

June 4th, 2022, 10:17 am
Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

Taking azubuike over bane will always be stupid and Snyder is right to be angry. Bane would have fit very well on the Jazz and would have helped them take the next step. Snyder was wrong about boycotting the Ingles trade last Summer. Ingles is not what he used to be and they could have actually gotten something productive for him had they pulled the trigger in 2021 compared to this past February.
Maybe you're right statistically, but Ingles was the glue holding the Jazz together.

Aggies All the Way!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 4th, 2022, 3:31 pm

June 4th, 2022, 10:17 am
Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
SSaggie wrote:

Agreed on both points. One trade he vetoed apparently was Ingles for Kuzma and a pick swap with the lakers which would have moved us up a few spots. I think there was another potential deal too but I’m not sure what that was.

And the Azibuke pick was objectively awful. Bane was both best available and filled a need and we passed on him for a guy whose ceiling with us is backup C which can be found for the vet minimum. And then we gave Favors the full MLE the same offseason. I don’t blame him for having “philosophical differences” but he was wrong about not moving Ingles.

Locked Previous topicNext topic