Us vs. byu

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Tetonkatest

Re: Us vs. byu

Post by Tetonkatest » May 16th, 2022, 2:45 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 1:24 pm
Tennessee just cancelled the return trip to BYU in 2023 so they are now down to 2 OOC games next year. Could not happen to a better program and fanbase.
I suspect that their AD is frantically trying to call USU right about now

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 16th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 2:45 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 1:24 pm
Tennessee just cancelled the return trip to BYU in 2023 so they are now down to 2 OOC games next year. Could not happen to a better program and fanbase.
I suspect that their AD is frantically trying to call USU right about now
I would be completely shocked if Hartwell answered that call. BYU would want it to be a home game and USU already has 2 OCC away games with UCONN and IOWA next year. That would put USU down to 5 home games which would be a disaster.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 16th, 2022, 2:57 pm

Actually, I suspect the disaster for USU is the head count for our home games.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » May 16th, 2022, 6:05 pm

LKGates wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 1:40 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 6:59 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 5:35 pm
AndroidAggie wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 10:08 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 9:04 am
Don't really care if their fans make excuses or say it is a fluke. In fact that is more of the fun.

As far as people not being real USU fans if that game is their priority, well sorry it is better to get as many casual fans in attendance as possible. Unfortunately not everyone will just automatically be at every Aggie game no matter what. The fans that only show up when the program is at a high point, you could argue aren't real fans. The fans who only show up when the weather is good, you could argue aren't real fans. The fans who come for homecoming or only when it is some other promotion game, you could argue aren't real fans.

And as someone who will be a season ticket holder, I'd rather see USU continue to play rivalry games. I'll go to any Aggie game, but there are definitely teams on the schedule I would prefer to see and teams that mean more when we beat.
great points.

my intention isn't to gatekeep what it means to be a fan or be super fan-y and orthodox and say "rawr, they're not real fans!" or to bellyache and moan. nor is it to say "i will NEVER advocate for playing byu ever again!!" if people only want to show up for utah or byu, or homecoming - ok, great. you didn't make this argument, but it's been made before, that "oh USU *NEEDS* byu in order to build their program, sustain fan interest, etc..." and that assertion is what i categorically reject.

my intention is to say "hey, we played byu every year for 40 years and we didn't build a program. we started to build a program when we got a serious athletic director, athletic dept, and coaching and we began to win. i submit this as evidence that byu is useful to us only insofar as they are an interesting opponent. as a result, i'm not worked up about them dropping off the schedule. i wouldn't fight that hard to bring them back, either, but that's because ... well, screw 'em, that's why. but i wouldn't spit in someone's eye for wanting to play them.
Sure we don't need byu or utah. It isn't like not playing Utah has made us worse as a program. I just like playing and beating teams I hate. When it comes to OOC games, I'd rather load it up with rivals if possible. Even for our FCS team I'd rather beat Weber State than Stony Brook.

Hopefully the athletic department will schedule some good ooc games. I could be wrong, but I believe Washington State was supposed to play in Logan in 2020 before that year went haywire. Hope we get them back in.
That’s 100% how I feel. I believe our only home OOC game set now for 2023 is Idaho State. And I’m willing to bet we’ll land on either NMSU or another FCS school as our second home game. That really sucks.

I get that getting teams to Logan is really tough. I just hope we can at least get something better than a FCS school or borderline FCS school. Doesn’t need to be a low-level P5. AAC maybe?
Only one FCS game can be counted toward bowl eligibility, so it will almost certainly not be a second FCS game. There's usually enough movement in schedules within the last two years before an actual game, almost certainly some school will be available. I wouldn't lose sleep over it at this point.
I actually didn’t know about bowl eligibility with the FCS thing. Thanks for pointing that out!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 16th, 2022, 6:53 pm

no way ybu is going to come to Logan in 2023 as a replacement for a home game with Tennessee, and there's is no reason why we should play in pwovwo two years in a row. NAY I SAY! 2023 is the end of division play in the MWC, we can just back fill with a MWC team (maybe play in Vegas again?).

As a side note, I had almost forgot that Tennessee hired Josh Heupel to be their HC, which would explain a lot on why they wanted to cancel this game. I didn't realize how closely tied Heupel was to the state of Utah, he started out his career at Weber State before transferring to Snow, where he tore it up as QB. He originally accepted an offer to come play for USU but instead ended up at Oklahoma. And of course everyone remembers his one-year stint as OC/QB coach here at USU. He obviously knows about the y.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 16th, 2022, 9:53 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 6:53 pm
no way ybu is going to come to Logan in 2023 as a replacement for a home game with Tennessee, and there's is no reason why we should play in pwovwo two years in a row. NAY I SAY! 2023 is the end of division play in the MWC, we can just back fill with a MWC team (maybe play in Vegas again?).

As a side note, I had almost forgot that Tennessee hired Josh Heupel to be their HC, which would explain a lot on why they wanted to cancel this game. I didn't realize how closely tied Heupel was to the state of Utah, he started out his career at Weber State before transferring to Snow, where he tore it up as QB. He originally accepted an offer to come play for USU but instead ended up at Oklahoma. And of course everyone remembers his one-year stint as OC/QB coach here at USU. He obviously knows about the y.
My favorite part on this whole Tennessee thing and our scheduling stoppage last week is the narrative from byu fans.

Byu fan Last week with the cancellation of the usu game: We are too good for usu and that is why we are stopping the series.

Byu fan this week with the cancellation of the Tennessee game: Tennessee is scared of us. They’d lose in Provo.

It’s rich and so on par for that fan base.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 16th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Do we honestly fill the stadium with more Aggie fans when BYU comes to town? My honest assessment at this year’s game was there was just a bunch of BYU fans filling the stadium with about the same number of Aggies always there for decent opponents.

While it stinks to miss out on the revenue from BYU fans, I am not really convinced there is a large number of casual Aggie fans that come out only for BYU. Does anyone have anything that refutes this?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
ViAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 17th, 2022, 5:30 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Do we honestly fill the stadium with more Aggie fans when BYU comes to town? My honest assessment at this year’s game was there was just a bunch of BYU fans filling the stadium with about the same number of Aggies always there for decent opponents.

While it stinks to miss out on the revenue from BYU fans, I am not really convinced there is a large number of casual Aggie fans that come out only for BYU. Does anyone have anything that refutes this?
1) The average Aggie, in my experience, does pay more attention to games against BYU.

2) That still may not manifest as more Aggies in the stadium when we play them.

3) Who cares because it was one of two guaranteed sellouts we had for home games.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » May 17th, 2022, 6:29 am

ViAggie wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 6:53 pm

Spot on Vi. Heupel was around these parts just long enough to catch a whiff of the stench coming out of Provo and like the body-odor-in-the-car episode of Seinfeld, it just doesn't go away and is quite unforgettable. No reason to relive the horror.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
ViAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 17th, 2022, 9:22 am

We do fine filling early season games when the weather is nice.

Yes BYU sells out but we don’t seem to do that bad for other early season games.

FCS teams bring on fans because it’s usually the first home game. Homecoming usually does ok.

Where we struggle is when it’s wet and colder than a witch’s tit. Conference weekend helps too- but that’s a good weekend weather wise. It’s usually like October 3rd, the April 25th of the Fall.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » May 17th, 2022, 10:03 am

Home and home with liberty please! For selfish reasons of course since it's so close.
These users thanked the author crazywookie for the post:
aggies22

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 17th, 2022, 10:18 am

crazywookie wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 10:03 am
Home and home with liberty please! For selfish reasons of course since it's so close.
I would be good for that. I have never been to Virginia and would like to visit.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

ususports

Post by ususports » May 17th, 2022, 10:25 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 9:22 am
Where we struggle is when it’s wet and colder than a witch’s tit.
Just so I know, is that cold enough for her nipple to cut glass? Just trying to figure out how cold it needs to be before we struggle.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
aggies22Imakeitrain

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 17th, 2022, 10:27 am

crazywookie wrote:
BYU to Liberty. The jokes write themselves.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13USU78

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 17th, 2022, 10:52 am

crazywookie wrote:
I don't think I will ever get my wife back to da Burg. She spent her HS days there and didn't like it at all.

Fly into and stay in Roanoke. Treat Lynchburg like Provo: the place you go to for duty's sake, then get out as quick as you can.

Of course, visits to Appomattox, Jefferson's estate, the local Civil War battlegrounds, and such are worth taking in.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » May 17th, 2022, 4:22 pm

USU78 wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 10:52 am
crazywookie wrote:
I don't think I will ever get my wife back to da Burg. She spent her HS days there and didn't like it at all.

Fly into and stay in Roanoke. Treat Lynchburg like Provo: the place you go to for duty's sake, then get out as quick as you can.

Of course, visits to Appomattox, Jefferson's estate, the local Civil War battlegrounds, and such are worth taking in.
There are several factors that made it an easy move for us but I could get why she says that. I do like growing blueberries far more easily here than I ever could in Utah.

Back to topic. Add as interesting of an opponent as possible.
These users thanked the author crazywookie for the post:
USU78

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 17th, 2022, 5:14 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 5:30 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 10:22 pm

1) The average Aggie, in my experience, does pay more attention to games against BYU.

2) That still may not manifest as more Aggies in the stadium when we play them.

3) Who cares because it was one of two guaranteed sellouts we had for home games.
Yes, losing the guaranteed sellout sucks. My only point was that it isn't as if we are filling the stadium with more Aggies to my perception. It's just Cougies and Broncos, but as you say, we'll take their money.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 17th, 2022, 6:18 pm

It might have already been mentioned in this thread, but did byu cancel their contract with Boise as well?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 17th, 2022, 7:08 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 6:18 pm
It might have already been mentioned in this thread, but did byu cancel their contract with Boise as well?
Yes
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic