Us vs. byu

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: Us vs. byu

Post by 2004AG » May 12th, 2022, 1:28 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 12:42 pm
I honestly don't even care. Seriously. BYU is nothing but trouble. The farther we can stay away from them the better as far as I am concerned. They are fun games, but I won't lose any sleep over it. I wouldn't mind playing them at some point again in the future, but only on H/H terms.
You're really looking forward to New Mexico State or Marshall in 2023 huh
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
aggies22NowhereLandAggie

apo

Post by apo » May 12th, 2022, 1:31 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:02 pm
I think BYU dropped a 2023 home game against Rice. Perhaps we pick that one up.
I am very biased as Rice alum and current Houston resident. This is what I want… although I can’t imagine it’d be very good football lol
These users thanked the author apo for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 12th, 2022, 1:31 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 12:28 pm
just wait for the big 12 to implode....
THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN! :lol:

Uhm but yea it will, it will be the P4 in the SEC-AA and half of the B12 schools will not be invited, including Baylor and TCU. Notre Dame will be the only private school invited becau$e of $ome rea$on.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:27 pm
From what I can glean, these teams may be looking to fill a 2023 road game.

Kansas
Marshall
SMU
Tulane
UCF
MTSU
Liberty
Army
NMSU

GT, Miami, and Virginia could potentially be looking as well but unlikely to agree to a home/home with us.

I’d be all for a home/home with Kansas. Winnable P5 game and a Nice 3.5 hours from me.
I'd call Kansas immediately. I'm sure we'll renew the rivalry with New Mexico State though.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:31 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 12:28 pm
just wait for the big 12 to implode....
THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN! :lol:

Uhm but yea it will, it will be the P4 in the SEC-AA and half of the B12 schools will not be invited, including Baylor and TCU. Notre Dame will be the only private school invited becau$e of $ome rea$on.
My man knows things!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ratofallaggies

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 12th, 2022, 1:43 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 11:58 am
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 11:55 am
I’ll miss playing them, just like the Utes. Hate both schools and their fan bases. No reason to pretend like we don’t enjoy in-state rivalry games. Stupid to see what their athletic directors have done to ruin these rivalries.

There’s a talent discrepancy with us and the Utes, but nothing close to other states P5s vs G5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With regard to scheduling I give BYU more of a pass, as they have to shed a lot of scheduled games in order to fit their Big12 schedule. But they usually schedule USU in basketball and football.

Utah only cancelled playing USU after they lost in football and basketball. They have refused to ever play a game in Logan ever again.
I can understand where BYU is coming from. It just doesn’t make sense for either of our schools to play on the other’s terms. What is strange about Utah is they then turn around and play a home and home with Wyoming.

If you’re going to schedule a G5 while ignoring the better one in your own yard and “big time them” at least don’t find a lesser G5 also in your yard.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggie3rdGenAggieBioAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:19 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I honestly don't even care. Seriously. BYU is nothing but trouble. The farther we can stay away from them the better as far as I am concerned. They are fun games, but I won't lose any sleep over it. I wouldn't mind playing them at some point again in the future, but only on H/H terms.
I predict that at first BYU will be on their best behavior with the Big 12... but then within the first 3-5 years every school in the Big 12 will despise them. It seems to happen with everyone BYU plays.

BYU thinks it's because everyone is jealous of them. The proverbial "they just hate me because they can't date me"

But that doesn't make sense as most of the schools, especially schools outside of Utah have had nothing to be jealous of when they stopped liking BYU.
It won't even take 3 years. Those people won't be able to control themselves that long.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 12th, 2022, 2:01 pm

apo wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I am very biased as Rice alum and current Houston resident. This is what I want… although I can’t imagine it’d be very good football lol
It would be a winnable game in one of the best high school recruiting areas. Be a good opportunity for our Texas players to have friends and family be able to attend.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22apo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 12th, 2022, 2:02 pm

BYU no doubt brought fans into Romney. But what was the cost? In my memory, (what little there is left of it), after USU built competitive FB and BB teams, we immediately signed away the rights to compete with them on an equal basis>>>>> home and home.

Stan Albrecht was a loyal BYU alum.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggie84025ViAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 12th, 2022, 2:03 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:43 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
I’ll miss playing them, just like the Utes. Hate both schools and their fan bases. No reason to pretend like we don’t enjoy in-state rivalry games. Stupid to see what their athletic directors have done to ruin these rivalries.

There’s a talent discrepancy with us and the Utes, but nothing close to other states P5s vs G5s.

With regard to scheduling I give BYU more of a pass, as they have to shed a lot of scheduled games in order to fit their Big12 schedule. But they usually schedule USU in basketball and football.

Utah only cancelled playing USU after they lost in football and basketball. They have refused to ever play a game in Logan ever again.
I can understand where BYU is coming from. It just doesn’t make sense for either of our schools to play on the other’s terms. What is strange about Utah is they then turn around and play a home and home with Wyoming.

If you’re going to schedule a G5 while ignoring the better one in your own yard and “big time them” at least don’t find a lesser G5 also in your yard.
Utah is dead to me. They have done it several times. They have scheduled home and homes with WYO, SDSU, Fresno, SJSU and Northern Illinois while altogether squashing a series that has been played ~100 times.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 12th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
apo wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
It would be a winnable game in one of the best high school recruiting areas. Be a good opportunity for our Texas players to have friends and family be able to attend.
Unfortunately Rice has already replaced their BYU game with UConn so they no longer have an opening. SMU has an opening though, which is only a few hours away. Tulane also has an opening.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 12th, 2022, 2:14 pm

utah is the worst and refuses to play us in anything.

At least at this point byu has said they will work for future opportunities and is still playing us in basketball.

If the Big XII is really going to a 9 game schedule I can see why.

Fine with this for byu.

Utah can lose every game for all I care. They have treated us way worse over the last couple of decades. screw them.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 12th, 2022, 2:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Kansas
Marshall
SMU
Tulane
UCF
MTSU
Liberty
Army
NMSU

GT, Miami, and Virginia could potentially be looking as well but unlikely to agree to a home/home with us.

I’d be all for a home/home with Kansas. Winnable P5 game and a Nice 3.5 hours from me.
I'd call Kansas immediately. I'm sure we'll renew the rivalry with New Mexico State though.
Kansas also has need of a home game in 2024 so it’d work out perfect. Make it happen Hartwell!
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
LarryTheAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 12th, 2022, 2:24 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 2:18 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Kansas
Marshall
SMU
Tulane
UCF
MTSU
Liberty
Army
NMSU

Kansas also has need of a home game in 2024 so it’d work out perfect. Make it happen Hartwell!
My preference of these:
Kansas
Virgina(shame broncos not there with his son on the team here, wr may have had a chance)
Smu
Marshall
Ucf
Army
Tulane
Mtsu
Liberty
A second FCS team
A division 2 school
Jordan High School
NMSU

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » May 12th, 2022, 2:28 pm

I’d be very interested in a SMU matchup. As I recall, their name came up a lot in thinking about MWC expansion teams.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » May 12th, 2022, 2:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:28 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Or better yet... An FCS school..

Full

Post by Full » May 12th, 2022, 2:31 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 1:12 pm
This scheduling cancellation and replacement development will take some time to sort out and work through. I wouldn't expect a stunning game schedule upgrade any time soon, especially with the historically our game day attendance at the Mav.

We've had decades to address the pathetic game day attendance and, as an institution, and done nothing to resolve the situation.

Following the Utah series cancellation we should have been motivated to do something beyond raising game day and season ticket pricing, BUT WE HAVE FAILED.
Have you watched much football? Teams everywhere are playing in front of more empty seats than fans. Tight shots of the field could allow you to forget all the empty seats while watching on TV. I guess you can look at attendance numbers and see Air Force had more fans than USU did vs North Dakota State the week earlier. However if you were there live there would be no doubt which game had more fans. USU has improved a lot in the last decade. Is there more to be done, sure. Failed however? I think growing a fan base while attendance across the nation attendance is dropping is an accomplishment. Blame ticket prices, kickoff times made to fill TV slots, or a generation of disinterested students for empty seats. I doubt game day attendance in Logan has much to do with what team agrees to visit.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 12th, 2022, 2:37 pm

GeoAg wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 2:14 pm
utah is the worst and refuses to play us in anything.

At least at this point byu has said they will work for future opportunities and is still playing us in basketball.

If the Big XII is really going to a 9 game schedule I can see why.

Fine with this for byu.

Utah can lose every game for all I care. They have treated us way worse over the last couple of decades. screw them.
I toats trust ybu to honor that 👌

And since we're doing away with divisions, why not just schedule more MWC teams? We have 11 to chose from. I'd love the idea of playing SDSU every year (for my own personal HOME GAME EVERY OTHER YEAR! WOOT reasons).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

SLB

Post by SLB » May 12th, 2022, 3:21 pm

My guess is that we will look for a P5 replacement team for BYU
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
FromLItoLogan

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 12th, 2022, 3:31 pm

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 12th, 2022, 4:08 pm

I'm glad we've got Scotty G in the SL media. He'll make sure we keep getting mentions during the season.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » May 12th, 2022, 4:20 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 11:45 am
Looks like they are dumping a lot of games so they can fit in their Big12 schedule.
I think there will be future games schedules between USU and BYU. But who knows how often?

USU future football schedules

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/utah-state/

BYU future football schedules

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/
The douches down south don't know what their conference schedule looks like because a lot of those schools will bail. Good ole YBU douches.
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on May 13th, 2022, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 12th, 2022, 6:05 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
I am ambivalent about this.
At least you have a team you can still cheer for against them regularly! Most of us would think it would be funny if they were to go through another multi-year road losing streak before ending it against BYU, while I know you would like to see that certain team start regularly winning road games other that the ones at BYU.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 12th, 2022, 6:36 pm

Full wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 2:31 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
This scheduling cancellation and replacement development will take some time to sort out and work through. I wouldn't expect a stunning game schedule upgrade any time soon, especially with the historically our game day attendance at the Mav.

We've had decades to address the pathetic game day attendance and, as an institution, and done nothing to resolve the situation.

Following the Utah series cancellation we should have been motivated to do something beyond raising game day and season ticket pricing, BUT WE HAVE FAILED.
Have you watched much football? Teams everywhere are playing in front of more empty seats than fans. Tight shots of the field could allow you to forget all the empty seats while watching on TV. I guess you can look at attendance numbers and see Air Force had more fans than USU did vs North Dakota State the week earlier. However if you were there live there would be no doubt which game had more fans. USU has improved a lot in the last decade. Is there more to be done, sure. Failed however? I think growing a fan base while attendance across the nation attendance is dropping is an accomplishment. Blame ticket prices, kickoff times made to fill TV slots, or a generation of disinterested students for empty seats. I doubt game day attendance in Logan has much to do with what team agrees to visit.

Actually Full, you and I have much in common even per our apparent differing view points. Would be good to just get together and have a conversation sometime. Suspect we'd have more in common than differences.

What I am saying, is if you can see a nicer neighborhood to live in, you then work out how to live in that neighborhood, you figure out how to get there. Once you've arrived, you see and associate with folks that may benefit you over time.

Agreed that T V is carving into the ranks of the game day population, no quarrel, valid point. My take away here is that UTAH STATE has not demonstrated measurable capacity to increase game or season ticket sales, and likely won't until and unless the WASATCH FRONT is properly cultivated by more than an occasional drive by effort.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
Full

SLB

Post by SLB » May 12th, 2022, 7:16 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 6:36 pm
Full wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 2:31 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

Actually Full, you and I have much in common even per our apparent differing view points. Would be good to just get together and have a conversation sometime. Suspect we'd have more in common than differences.

What I am saying, is if you can see a nicer neighborhood to live in, you then work out how to live in that neighborhood, you figure out how to get there. Once you've arrived, you see and associate with folks that may benefit you over time.

Agreed that T V is carving into the ranks of the game day population, no quarrel, valid point. My take away here is that UTAH STATE has not demonstrated measurable capacity to increase game or season ticket sales, and likely won't until and unless the WASATCH FRONT is properly cultivated by more than an occasional drive by effort.
Our attendance depends who we play too. We have always solid attendance for BYU and Boise State games, and low attendance for weak and further away opponents. I wished that we got Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and etc. as our opponents in Logan because that would drum up some extra excitement.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » May 12th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Please, no Army. We don't need to play another triple-option offense.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 12th, 2022, 8:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Haha so true.

"I hope we never play byu. I want nothing to do with them!"

"Why is our attendance low? Why don't people on the Wasatch Front come to more Aggie games?"

Same people. The reality is this is a blow. It isn't surprising with their move, but it is much better for USU to play Utah and byu as much as possible. Casual fans don't care about games against Uconn and Idaho State, sorry.

Hopefully the rivalry will continue in basketball. I get football not playing every year even though the games should still be played regularly, but there is no excuse for utah and byu to not play us every year in basketball.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
vegasaggieFloridaAggie13

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 12th, 2022, 9:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 8:43 pm
2004AG wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Haha so true.

"Why is our attendance low? Why don't people on the Wasatch Front come to more Aggie games?"

Same people. The reality is this is a blow. It isn't surprising with their move, but it is much better for USU to play Utah and byu as much as possible. Casual fans don't care about games against Uconn and Idaho State, sorry.

Hopefully the rivalry will continue in basketball. I get football not playing every year even though the games should still be played regularly, but there is no excuse for utah and byu to not play us every year in basketball.
Yup. Reality hurts sometimes.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » May 12th, 2022, 9:03 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

DO NOT give byu a pass!! Those whinny (I can't express myself without swearing) complained more than anyone when Utah did the same thing to them. They claimed day in and day out they wouldn’t do the same thing if the roles were reversed. Now look at them, same (I can't express myself without swearing), different toilet.

They can die a slow death in the Big XII for all I care.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 12th, 2022, 9:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Haha so true.

I hate byu as bad as anyone but the game is a hell of a lot more fun than Marshall.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
travelingagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 12th, 2022, 9:17 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 9:06 pm
2004AG wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Haha so true.

I hate byu as bad as anyone but the game is a hell of a lot more fun than Marshall.

Exactly. I hate byu and utah passionately. My hatred makes me want USU to beat them as much as possible. I was a few years out of school in 2010 and 2012, but I was still on the field with the students storming the field when we beat byu and utah. Those were awesome nights. Never understood the feeling of "I hate them so I don't want to play them" that some on here have.

And it is just better for attendance and getting the casual fans excited for Aggie games. All of us that post on this site are hardcore fans, but many Aggie grads aren't. Anyone on here that knows the experience of trying to convince a friend or a girlfriend to come with them to an Aggie game(especially driving from SLC) knows it is much easier when it is a rivalry game.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 12th, 2022, 9:41 pm

I will say I really can’t stand a lot of their fans. Many of them are saying a 2-1 or nothing because they are now p5.

What they don’t realize low end p5 schools don’t do 2-1 with g5 schos they do a 1-1. Look at Utah and others.

Close to the top programs like oregon might do a 2-1 or just a home payout game.
Last edited by slcagg on May 12th, 2022, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 12th, 2022, 9:46 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 11:56 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 11:48 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 11:45 am
Looks like they are dumping a lot of games so they can fit in their Big12 schedule.
I think there will be future games schedules between USU and BYU. But who knows how often?

USU future football schedules

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/utah-state/

BYU future football schedules

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/
The only concern in the near future is who will Hartwell schedule for a home game in 2023 since that was BYU home year. I hope he is able to get a decent team under contract for a home/home.
Good point. Hopefully we schedule a P5 team
In a perfect world, Utah will pull their head out of their a*s and sign a long-team deal with us and stop scheduling ybu all together. Especially once the Pac 12 goes back to 8 conference games. Over time, our rivalry will build again and ybu will become the weird religious school no one really cares about that we play in basketball once in a while.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 12th, 2022, 10:35 pm

2004AG wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Haha so true.

I agree that it would be good to play BYU and Utah from a business perspective given the right terms.. There is no deal with Utah or BYU so clearly there are no terms agreeable to all sides. (On the other end of the spectrum they’d probably not have cancelled anything if all games were in Provo)

Secondly filling our stadium with their fans every other year isn’t the attendance people truly want.

Lastly, for me personally when I say “I want nothing to do with them” it’s much more personal. So the only healthy thing for me to do is to let it go. I can’t do that if we regularly play BYU because I love the Aggies. I want literally nothing to do with the entire school. Not just nothing to do with their football team. I want nothing to do with anything BYU.

I could go into how much I dislike BYU. I could say why and how for me personally it completely upends the supposed purpose of BYU. But that’s an even longer rant.

So yes, the TL;DR is although it takes away an in-state game that people look forward to that was once home & home; I don’t look personally forward to that game and am glad it’s over.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 12th, 2022, 11:01 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 10:35 pm
2004AG wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Haha so true.

I agree that it would be good to play BYU and Utah from a business perspective given the right terms.. There is no deal with Utah or BYU so clearly there are no terms agreeable to all sides. (On the other end of the spectrum they’d probably not have cancelled anything if all games were in Provo)

Secondly filling our stadium with their fans every other year isn’t the attendance people truly want.

Lastly, for me personally when I say “I want nothing to do with them” it’s much more personal. So the only healthy thing for me to do is to let it go. I can’t do that if we regularly play BYU because I love the Aggies. I want literally nothing to do with the entire school. Not just nothing to do with their football team. I want nothing to do with anything BYU.

I could go into how much I dislike BYU. I could say why and how for me personally it completely upends the supposed purpose of BYU. But that’s an even longer rant.

So yes, the TL;DR is although it takes away an in-state game that people look forward to that was once home & home; I don’t look personally forward to that game and am glad it’s over.
Sure they bring people, but it isn't just their fans. More Aggies than normal go to the games against utah and byu. Sometimes with casuals it is the only game on the schedule they show up for.

I'll never understand not wanting to play and beat your rival, but many on here share your view.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
2004AG

Locked Previous topicNext topic