Recruiting big board

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Re: Recruiting big board

Post by Aggie19 » March 19th, 2022, 7:02 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 6:16 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 6:00 pm
This coaching staff knows who is out there and who they are recruiting, long ago. Coach Henry told me over a month ago that they have been watching the transfer portal and the JC's and they have their eyes on many players. They are just NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT to everybody who wants to know.

Coach Odom grew up watching his Dad's teams at South Carolina and Wake Forest play. He knows what kind of players it takes to compete at the highest levels. I am not concerned at all about his ability to recruit anybody to USU. As he told me, "Players just want to play, and they will go anywhere to do that, ultimately."

So don't take the lack of "blab" as a lack of recruiting knowledge. This staff knows what they need and where they can find what they need. They'll announce it in April when everybody else does-- not before. Not saying that the recruited players won't say anything, though.
Again, no one is expecting the coaches to blab. Recruiting is a topic heavily covered by different sources on Twitter and we are not frequently listed by prospects as a school that has contacted (HS, JUCO, or the portal).

I am choosing to think this is because the coaching staff is very selective in who they recruit. I still have all the confidence in the world in Odom, but the silence is a little weird. Maybe they are prioritizing meeting with current players and figuring out who is coming back next year.
I think you should be concerned, I mean how long could it take to counsel out everybody but Ashworth and Bairstow? :)

Go Aggies!

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » March 19th, 2022, 7:04 pm

I am certain your coach is right on top of this. Maybe some reasons are just logistics..High school basketball is over and the AAU games haven't started yet. No real chance to see the kids play.

He could have identified who he is going after already and probably has a pretty good idea who he can and will get. No real need to have that info out in the open. Kids will start speaking up closer to 4/18..

As for transfers..There will be 100's of them. Some may still be playing in the various tourneys. The top transfers will go quickly but there will be a lot of talent available. It is hard to get 4 or 5 studs at once but even 1 guy can be a difference maker..

Patience is tough nut to endure but I do think you will be alright..

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2022, 7:24 pm

I understand coaches being quiet. I don't understand recruits saying nothing though.
We had a coach recently who was this quiet on the recruiting front, and the recruiting turned out to be pretty bad.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 19th, 2022, 7:34 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 6:09 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 6:00 pm
This coaching staff knows who is out there and who they are recruiting, long ago. Coach Henry told me over a month ago that they have been watching the transfer portal and the JC's and they have their eyes on many players. They are just NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT to everybody who wants to know.

Coach Odom grew up watching his Dad's teams at South Carolina and Wake Forest play. He knows what kind of players it takes to compete at the highest levels. I am not concerned at all about his ability to recruit anybody to USU. As he told me, "Players just want to play, and they will go anywhere to do that, ultimately."

So don't take the lack of "blab" as a lack of recruiting knowledge. This staff knows what they need and where they can find what they need. They'll announce it in April when everybody else does-- not before. Not saying that the recruited players won't say anything, though.
In todays day and age most kids announce or say something. It literally has been crickets. Maybe the staff has made it a point to only recruit kids without social media accounts
Exactly this. Everyone is creating a straw man and missing the point. In the year of our Lord 2022, outlets covering recruiting are basically frothing at the mouth to tell us that “Quinnipiac and SLU have contacted Joe Basketball” on Twitter. There are virtually no outlets telling us what players USU is contacting.

This is a little weird. This isn’t a personal attack on the coaching staff, just a comment. And there are certainly reasonable explanations about why this is the case. No one is attacking the staff, just commenting on how strange it is.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
brownjeans2004AG

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 19th, 2022, 8:50 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 7:34 pm
No one is attacking the staff, just commenting on how strange it is.
Commenting, and worrying.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » March 19th, 2022, 9:27 pm

Nevada has 2 freshmen coming next season and 1 who has the Pack in his final 4 from a month or so ago..I haven't heard or seen a single thing about anybody else. And I check all the time. One little thing..Theoretically every player is eligible to return and with the two freshmen we are at 13..As we know 13 means 13.

At any rate, until Alford knows how many are staying or going it is better to keep it on the down low.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21aggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 19th, 2022, 10:33 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 19th, 2022, 7:24 pm
I understand coaches being quiet. I don't understand recruits saying nothing though.
We had a coach recently who was this quiet on the recruiting front, and the recruiting turned out to be pretty bad.
Agreed. I am constantly seeing football players tweeting stuff about our coaches reaching out, making offers, invites to camps, etc. I don’t see anything from our coaches but dozens of players. Follow Aggies22 and see how many of these things he retweets.

Basketball, crickets. Again, I don’t expect Odom to tweet his big board or offer list etc. and I’m sure he has a list of targets but it is pretty stunning to know that we are filling at least 4 spots and likely more and no one is mentioning us as being interested at all. Perhaps recruiting is getting pushed back due to the importance of the portal and that not being settled until after the tourney so maybe we shouldn’t be alarmed but, as you said, it seemed odd how little recruiting activity we heard about under Smith and his recruiting was pretty underwhelming other than Queta (unless you love mediocre foreign players or 7 footers who can’t play).

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2022, 6:18 am

Another theory is overseas players. Those guys we usually find out at the last second. Perhaps that and waiting on the portal is the focus.

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 20th, 2022, 7:47 am

aggieborn wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 7:16 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 18th, 2022, 6:37 pm
If he drops a 20 ball and they win the national championship I fear he’ll have bigger programs calling. If he’s not good enough to play here idk who we can get that is.
No worries. McGriff got shut down. He scored 4 on 2 of 8 shooting, and SLCC was handled by NW Florida State in the finals, losing by 15. Rigsby from NW Fl went for 24. He played at Wasatch Academy and had very little recruiting interest. He's on his way to U of Oregon after 1 year of JC ball.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 20th, 2022, 3:04 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Agreed. I am constantly seeing football players tweeting stuff about our coaches reaching out, making offers, invites to camps, etc. I don’t see anything from our coaches but dozens of players. Follow Aggies22 and see how many of these things he retweets.

Basketball, crickets. Again, I don’t expect Odom to tweet his big board or offer list etc. and I’m sure he has a list of targets but it is pretty stunning to know that we are filling at least 4 spots and likely more and no one is mentioning us as being interested at all. Perhaps recruiting is getting pushed back due to the importance of the portal and that not being settled until after the tourney so maybe we shouldn’t be alarmed but, as you said, it seemed odd how little recruiting activity we heard about under Smith and his recruiting was pretty underwhelming other than Queta (unless you love mediocre foreign players or 7 footers who can’t play).
Could be that BAnderson loves BP A22, but Odom seems less open to the community and discussing the program.

Aggies22 is great at what he does, keeping us informed with a very real take on the pulse of the teams and recruits.
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
aggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 20th, 2022, 5:15 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Could be that BAnderson loves BP A22, but Odom seems less open to the community and discussing the program.

Aggies22 is great at what he does, keeping us informed with a very real take on the pulse of the teams and recruits.
Could be, but again, it’s not stuff I see from coaches it’s stuff I see from the recruits themselves so their openness or love for BP shouldn’t make a difference
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 20th, 2022, 6:59 pm

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 7:47 am
aggieborn wrote:
slcagg wrote:
If he drops a 20 ball and they win the national championship I fear he’ll have bigger programs calling. If he’s not good enough to play here idk who we can get that is.
No worries. McGriff got shut down. He scored 4 on 2 of 8 shooting, and SLCC was handled by NW Florida State in the finals, losing by 15. Rigsby from NW Fl went for 24. He played at Wasatch Academy and had very little recruiting interest. He's on his way to U of Oregon after 1 year of JC ball.
Could it be that there is a lack of quality recruiting being done within the state by the big three schools? Or, did Rigsby simply find his groove in JC ball?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 20th, 2022, 8:47 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 6:59 pm
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Could it be that there is a lack of quality recruiting being done within the state by the big three schools? Or, did Rigsby simply find his groove in JC ball?
I'm willing to bet SSS knows.

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » March 20th, 2022, 9:42 pm

Not sure how accurate this is but it’s something and something is better than silence.
These users thanked the author VegasBornAggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggAggieArmy

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 20th, 2022, 9:51 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 9:42 pm

Not sure how accurate this is but it’s something and something is better than silence.
Interesting that the two guys we’ve been tied to are HS guys.

NOTE: this is not a complaint.

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 21st, 2022, 8:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 8:47 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Rigsby didn't get much serious interest while he was at Wasatch other than from an assistant at East Tennessee State, Greg Heiar. I'm pretty sure he had no other offers. Rigsby was planning on signing with ETSU, but there was a change in head coach/staff. Heiar ended up as head coach at NW Florida State JC, so Rigsby went there. Heiar has a history of being an exceptional JC coach, and obviously has an eye for talent. In the early season, during jamborees, coaches started to notice Rigsby and his recruiting took off.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 3):
slcaggaggies22FloridaAggie13

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 21st, 2022, 10:05 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 8:39 am
aggies22 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Rigsby didn't get much serious interest while he was at Wasatch other than from an assistant at East Tennessee State, Greg Heiar. I'm pretty sure he had no other offers. Rigsby was planning on signing with ETSU, but there was a change in head coach/staff. Heiar ended up as head coach at NW Florida State JC, so Rigsby went there. Heiar has a history of being an exceptional JC coach, and obviously has an eye for talent. In the early season, during jamborees, coaches started to notice Rigsby and his recruiting took off.
I knew you'd come through with the info my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 21st, 2022, 10:40 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 10:05 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 8:39 am
aggies22 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I knew you'd come through with the info my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Roy McAvoy

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » March 21st, 2022, 12:19 pm

SSS living up to his name!

Always good to see him back in these parts.
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13hipsterdoofus21

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 12:36 pm

Mikey Saunders is in the portal. Former wasatch academy guy.

Be curious what the recruiting experts on this board know about Mikey @aggies22 , @SeldomSeenSmith , @hipsterd00fus21 @hipsterdoofus21

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 21st, 2022, 1:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 12:36 pm
Mikey Saunders is in the portal. Former wasatch academy guy.

Be curious what the recruiting experts on this board know about Mikey @aggies22 , @SeldomSeenSmith , @hipsterd00fus21 @hipsterdoofus21

NOPE!!!!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 1:25 pm

I made the mistake of getting notifications from the verbalcommits Twitter account. It’s been an absolute deluge of portal entries today.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 21st, 2022, 2:36 pm

What player qualities are the highest recruiting emphasis for Odom? As an example, would he take a raw high ceiling guy with length and athleticism over a polished and proven, but physically limited player? Would he prefer someone who is above average at a lot of areas (dribble, pass, shoot) or a player that is exceptional at one or two things (i.e. defensive stopper and relentless rebounder). There are, and will be, a lot of players roll through the portal or who are on JC rosters at the moment. Besides narrowing/filtering down the list by position of need, what other criteria does Odom use as a filter?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 3:10 pm

Utah has three dudes in the portal so far. Would we have any interest in any of them?

Also, appears we’ve not contacted Kennedy.

EDIT: make that four Utes. David Jenkins just entered

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 21st, 2022, 3:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 3:10 pm
Utah has three dudes in the portal so far. Would we have any interest in any of them?

Battin, Mahorcic and now Jenkins, who is the fourth?

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 3:29 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

He is not good enough to play here. We will let him go to asu.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieFloridaAggie13

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 21st, 2022, 3:30 pm

Lahat Thioune has entered the portal, as per the Des News: https://www.deseret.com/2022/3/21/22989 ... ley-battin

also transferring from the U (walk-on) Jack Jamele (per the same article)

So, does that mean 6 or 7? I can't keep up...
Last edited by ShowMeAggie on March 21st, 2022, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 21st, 2022, 3:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

One of those four is a walk-on.

Thioune would be fine as a flyer if both Dorius and Zapala leave, if not then no.

No to Battin.

Jenkins might be intriguing, though not sure he'd be a fit in Odom's system. The ball tends to stick in his hands more than what Odom seems to like. He can shoot it though.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 3:31 pm

So Utah has a bunch of non impact guys on a team that won about 1/3 of their games. No thanks.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2022, 3:37 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 3:31 pm
So Utah has a bunch of non impact guys on a team that won about 1/3 of their games. No thanks.
So is this Utah doing the purge we were hoping for?

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 21st, 2022, 3:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
I wonder if any of these guys end up with peterson at south dakota
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
aggies22

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 21st, 2022, 3:42 pm

Utah has a self-purge function built into its program. This happens every year whether they want it to or not.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 21st, 2022, 3:50 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
March 21st, 2022, 3:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
I wonder if any of these guys end up with peterson at south dakota
Perhaps David Jenkins. He was a beast in that league. Was good in the mw and ok in the pac12.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 21st, 2022, 4:33 pm

Hard pass on Jenkins.This will be his 4th school. His last two coaches have limited minutes because he has no desire to play defense.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » March 21st, 2022, 5:31 pm

Could this be a potential recruit? 6’10 not a lot of aau stuff cuz he’s LDS and it looks like he doesn’t play on Sundays. Missed 2 highschool seasons cuz of California Covid rules. Could be flying under the radar like Bean did after his torn ACL. I’m no recruiting expert just a thought he looks much better than some of the Centers we have right now.
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic