Recruiting big board

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Recruiting big board

Post by slcagg » March 16th, 2022, 8:49 am

Here is who I’m interested with a very limited view of players available:

Center: We need two legit centers, none of this small forward at center play.

Nigel John (reportedly still interested, top jc guy)

Tanner christensen (young and has interest as well)

Keba keita (are we too late, lots of buzz starting to generate with him and haven’t heard a peep about the Aggies

Power forward: we can’t rely on the thinking that a redshirt player or rarely used player in thelissen should be the guy here.

Doctor Bradley (stretch 4 at slcc, generating some strong interest)

Wyatt Lowell (byu bounce back, had a good year at snow)

Small forward: love bairstow but wr should be looking to upgrade our roster at every spot.

Shooting guard: again shulga did pretty well but would love competition.

Quincy mcgriff (great shooter and great size)

Pg: perhaps ashworth is our guy but refer to my comments about small forward

Brian Moore (at neo would be an electric player)
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22Halestorm21

slcagg

Re: Recruiting big board

Post by slcagg » March 16th, 2022, 8:49 am

I’d love to hear the thoughts of others on the board.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 8:56 am

Without devoting a metric crap ton of time to Twitter accounts that follow the portal, it's overwhelming to even know what's out there. There has been and will continue to be a huge influx of dudes into the portal as seasons end and decisions get made.

What I'd like is the guys on the staff that are paid to do this to reach out to some dudes, see it reported somewhere, and then give my thoughts on my favorites. That seems to be too much to ask for as we are seemingly never connected to anyone in the portal. As far as I know, the only guys on your list we've actually contacted are McGriff and John (maybe Tanner Christensen's dad can let us know if he's been contacted by our staff)?

On your list -- I love Keba Keita and like Brian Moore and Quincy McGriff. Tanner Christensen's size and feel intrigue me as a backup Center option for next year with the potential to grow into something more. Nigel John's athleticism is intriguing, but his JC numbers aren't suggestive that he's really anything more than a backup at the D1 level. I think both of those guys are improvements on Dorius and Zapala, but I'd like to shoot higher for a "next year" starter.

Really, I'd just like to see signs that the coaches are shooting anywhere at this point.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 16th, 2022, 9:00 am

Great post, slcagg. Thanks for the summary.

The silence to me indicates the coaches are waiting for what hits the portal and that's their plan. I mean, it has to be, right?

Also, I am worried about this staff's ability to be able to land african-american players when they come here and realize there's not a single african american player on the team currently combined with the Logan dynamic. I hope the staff brings in multiple guys together on a visit to help alleviate that.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
ineptimusprimeslcaggaggies22Jjoey52

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » March 16th, 2022, 9:18 am

IMO Wyatt Lowell is a bench player in the MWC.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 2):
GUSaggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 9:20 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:00 am
Great post, slcagg. Thanks for the summary.

The silence to me indicates the coaches are waiting for what hits the portal and that's their plan. I mean, it has to be, right?

Also, I am worried about this staff's ability to be able to land african-american players when they come here and realize there's not a single african american player on the team currently combined with the Logan dynamic. I hope the staff brings in multiple guys together on a visit to help alleviate that.
I wish the stuff in bold weren't a thing, but it totally is. I like your plan to mitigate this.

And yes, the silence must mean we are taking a wait and see approach with the portal. There also remains some level of uncertainty about numbers of available scholarships. Bean has said he's going to be having "conversations over the next weeks and months." I'm not crazy about him dragging things out, but he's earned that right (especially if he's seriously considering a return). Coaches also need to have their end of season conversations with guys. I could see guys leaving voluntarily to pursue other opportunities, after being counseled out, or for reasons entirely unrelated to basketball (Shulga). A lot of chips still need to fall. Odom did say he was hoping to get through things quickly, for whatever that's worth.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 16th, 2022, 9:24 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:18 am
I think you are right. Maybe quite of few of these jc guys are…

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 9:32 am

slcagg wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:24 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Doc Bradley was pretty "meh" at CS-Fullerton. Not saying he couldn't be a bench player at the MW level.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... or-bradley

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2022, 10:11 am

You mentioned Tanner Christensen in another thread. In looking at his stats, he struggles at Idaho. Turns the ball over a ton and commits a lot of fouls.

I don't see how would be any different than Dorius.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 16th, 2022, 10:40 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:32 am
slcagg wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:24 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Doc Bradley was pretty "meh" at CS-Fullerton. Not saying he couldn't be a bench player at the MW level.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... or-bradley
Watching him in person twice against CSI Doc Bradley is still pretty "meh". I don't remember his stats for those games but he seemed timid and got pushed around. Brinson is a 6'2" guard for SLCC that is a really good penetrating guard with a 37% 3pt FGA.

I was so impressed by the touch the Oregon guards had around the rim. It felt like any shot that touched rim eventually found it's way in, whereas the Aggies had more rim outs this year that I can remember for a team.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
aggies22slcaggFloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 16th, 2022, 12:10 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 8:56 am
Without devoting a metric crap ton of time to Twitter accounts that follow the portal, it's overwhelming to even know what's out there. There has been and will continue to be a huge influx of dudes into the portal as seasons end and decisions get made.

What I'd like is the guys on the staff that are paid to do this to reach out to some dudes, see it reported somewhere, and then give my thoughts on my favorites. That seems to be too much to ask for as we are seemingly never connected to anyone in the portal. As far as I know, the only guys on your list we've actually contacted are McGriff and John (maybe Tanner Christensen's dad can let us know if he's been contacted by our staff)?

On your list -- I love Keba Keita and like Brian Moore and Quincy McGriff. Tanner Christensen's size and feel intrigue me as a backup Center option for next year with the potential to grow into something more. Nigel John's athleticism is intriguing, but his JC numbers aren't suggestive that he's really anything more than a backup at the D1 level. I think both of those guys are improvements on Dorius and Zapala, but I'd like to shoot higher for a "next year" starter.

Really, I'd just like to see signs that the coaches are shooting anywhere at this point.
Keba Keita has been to campus on an unofficial visit.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyslcaggtreesap32

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 16th, 2022, 12:40 pm

I wonder if Odom and the rest of the former UMBC coaches ever crossed paths with this guy. Former 3*/4* guy, didn't get on the court much for Maryland. Even if this guy isn't a good fit I wonder if the staff goes after Maryland guys looking to leave after the coaching change.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 16th, 2022, 12:42 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 12:40 pm
I wonder if Odom and the rest of the former UMBC coaches ever crossed paths with this guy. Former 3*/4* guy, didn't get on the court much for Maryland. Even if this guy isn't a good fit I wonder if the staff goes after Maryland guys looking to leave after the coaching change.
I hope so for selfish reasons.

My understanding is that part of the reason they did the Richmond game was to let Horvath play in front of family.

If we can get some more games in the DC area I would be happy.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 4):
hipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13aggies22treesap32

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2022, 12:54 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 12:42 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:

My understanding is that part of the reason they did the Richmond game was to let Horvath play in front of family.

With the transfer portal in play, it will help to play pre-season games in other areas of the country, just to get our name in front of potential prospects.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 16th, 2022, 1:36 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Great post, slcagg. Thanks for the summary.

I don’t understand why there would be a need for secrecy in recruiting a kid… I could see it for international prospects potentially, but it is crazy to me how little we have heard about any kind of recruiting going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 16th, 2022, 1:53 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Georgetown sucks these days.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieFloridaAggie13

truzzy

Post by truzzy » March 16th, 2022, 2:02 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 8:49 am
Here is who I’m interested with a very limited view of players available:

Center: We need two legit centers, none of this small forward at center play.

Nigel John (reportedly still interested, top jc guy)

Tanner christensen (young and has interest as well)

Keba keita (are we too late, lots of buzz starting to generate with him and haven’t heard a peep about the Aggies

Power forward: we can’t rely on the thinking that a redshirt player or rarely used player in thelissen should be the guy here.

Doctor Bradley (stretch 4 at slcc, generating some strong interest)

Wyatt Lowell (byu bounce back, had a good year at snow)

Small forward: love bairstow but wr should be looking to upgrade our roster at every spot.

Shooting guard: again shulga did pretty well but would love competition.

Quincy mcgriff (great shooter and great size)

Pg: perhaps ashworth is our guy but refer to my comments about small forward

Brian Moore (at neo would be an electric player)
I desperately want to see Brian Moore in an Aggie uniform next year. We need a guard that can do what the guards for Oregon did to us in the second half.
These users thanked the author truzzy for the post (total 2):
aggies22slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 16th, 2022, 2:06 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:53 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

I’m glad tony jones doesn’t read this board.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 16th, 2022, 2:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 2:06 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:53 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

I’m glad tony jones doesn’t read this board.
He might? But am I wrong??

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 16th, 2022, 3:00 pm

Brian Moore is an interesting case. He's got like 25 offers from low-majors and the mid-majors, but no P5 offers.

Why is that?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

bpd

Post by bpd » March 16th, 2022, 3:12 pm

We have our first after the season news. According to Jeff Borzello, we have contacted Bryce Lindsay who decommitted from South Carolina this morning. Others who have contacted him our Virginia, WV, BC, South Florida, and Montana State. I'm sure there will be others. I believe he is a high schooler from the DC area.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0slcaggaggies22

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 16th, 2022, 3:24 pm

It's always nice to get a high schooler with a big ol' chest tattoo already. :joking:

In all seriousness, Lindsay would be awesome.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 16th, 2022, 3:29 pm

bpd wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 3:12 pm
We have our first after the season news. According to Jeff Borzello, we have contacted Bryce Lindsay who decommitted from South Carolina this morning. Others who have contacted him our Virginia, WV, BC, South Florida, and Montana State. I'm sure there will be others. I believe he is a high schooler from the DC area.
I can confirm this.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 16th, 2022, 3:31 pm

I only want Doctor Bradley if he wears a head band with a gray felt disc sewn on it to look like a head mirror.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 16th, 2022, 3:38 pm

I am glad there are those whose interest is identifying who the best players worldwide who may be available are. Who we are targeting. Who has received an offer. Who is visiting. Which other schools they may have offers from. Etc., etc., etc. I ask that you be sure to wake me when this is all over. I simply don’t have the bandwidth to understand all of the variations on those themes let alone track them. So kudos to Aggie22 and slcagg for their efforts in this regard and be sure to let me know what our final roster looks like next September.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 16th, 2022, 3:44 pm

bpd wrote:
I’m stoked we have some news! That’s a step.

I do wonder how competitive we will be for a kid from the east coast with p5 offers. But I’m glad to hear something.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 16th, 2022, 5:28 pm

slcagg wrote:
bpd wrote:

I do wonder how competitive we will be for a kid from the east coast with p5 offers. But I’m glad to hear something.
As the old adage goes, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. So in a sense I like to hear we are going after high caliber players with major offers. At the same time, if we spend all of our time only looking at high players and miss on all of them, we are in trouble. Time is critical and limited. Such is the life of mid majors.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 16th, 2022, 5:35 pm

slcagg wrote:
bpd wrote:

He’s from Baltimore so he may be a kid that Odom is really familiar with and recruited previously.

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
kirtchristensen

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2022, 5:35 pm

I'm wondering if they just forgot to recruit? :shock:

"...hey, give me an update on how your visits have been going and who you like..."

"...visits? What visits....?

"Recruiting. You know, getting players for next year..."

"...crap, I knew there was something I was supposed to be doing..."
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
kirtchristensenUSU783rdGenAggie

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 16th, 2022, 9:35 pm

April 13 is signing day isn't?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2022, 9:39 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:36 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:Great post, slcagg. Thanks for the summary.

I don’t understand why there would be a need for secrecy in recruiting a kid… I could see it for international prospects potentially, but it is crazy to me how little we have heard about any kind of recruiting going on.

Nothing to do with secrecy. It's the fact that kids that are going to hit the portal aren't even in there yet, so they don't even know who they're going to recruit or what'll be available.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
Bank Shotaggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 17th, 2022, 1:10 pm

A name to keep an eye on for obvious reasons.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 4):
Roy McAvoyBank Shotaggieguy13aggies22

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2022, 1:12 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 1:10 pm

This is sad but I think he'd be a big help to us. Averaged 15 points on 42% 3-pt shooting. Is a 6'6" wing but played pretty weak competition on a mediocre team.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » March 17th, 2022, 1:16 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:35 pm
April 13 is signing day isn't?
April 13th to May 18th..Primarily the LOI signing period for incoming fresh persons and JC players. Transfers can be added right up to the first day of school.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
aggies22kirtchristensen

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 17th, 2022, 1:19 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 1:10 pm

All-conference 1st team player at a position of need (good basketball players). If he wants to come here, you take him no questions asked.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic