Wake Up Call

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Wake Up Call

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2022, 10:12 pm

If conference play wasn't enough of one, seeing the size and athleticism of a mediocre Oregon team should be lasting nightmare for our coaching staff going into the offseason. We need to counsel out Dorius, Zapala, Norbert, and I hate to say it, but I'm not sure Rylan Jones is even good enough to keep on the roster. We need someone who can get to the hoop and finish when he gets there. A true scorer. We need at least 2 legit rim protectors, better perimeter shooting, and a stretch 4.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13AggieBluesAggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Re: Wake Up Call

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2022, 10:15 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:12 pm
If conference play wasn't enough of one, seeing the size and athleticism of a mediocre Oregon team should be lasting nightmare for our coaching staff going into the offseason. We need to counsel out Dorius, Zapala, Norbert, and I hate to say it, but I'm not sure Rylan Jones is even good enough to keep on the roster. We need someone who can get to the hoop and finish when he gets there. A true scorer. We need at least 2 legit rim protectors, better perimeter shooting, and a stretch 4.
Odom said he doesn’t want anyone to leave on the postgame.

But I agree. I have nothing against Rylan, but he and Ashworth are nigh unplayable together, and Ashworth has far more upside. I don’t think we can keep Rylan and recruit the type of guard we need to make Odom’s offense hum. He’s taking up too many minutes. :noidea:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2022, 10:15 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
You have any suggestions on guys to recruit?

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » March 15th, 2022, 10:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

But I agree. I have nothing against Rylan, but he and Ashworth are nigh unplayable together, and Ashworth has far more upside. I don’t think we can keep Rylan and recruit the type of guard we need to make Odom’s offense hum. He’s taking up too many minutes. :noidea:
Tbh, I’m not sure what Odom is supposed to say. He can’t really tell everyone that the roster needs an overhaul or that some players shouldn’t come back. I think it was a professional answer, or at least that’s what I’m hoping. If you can’t see the glaring issues with the players we have coming back, then it’s gonna be a rough couple season.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2022, 10:23 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:20 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Tbh, I’m not sure what Odom is supposed to say. He can’t really tell everyone that the roster needs an overhaul or that some players shouldn’t come back. I think it was a professional answer, or at least that’s what I’m hoping. If you can’t see the glaring issues with the players we have coming back, then it’s gonna be a rough couple season.
You absolutely can’t throw your players under the bus, but it’s also a little discouraging to hear him take it all the way the other direction. He didn’t need to say “we don’t want anyone to leave.” Maybe he was just being nice, but I wish he had said something else.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 15th, 2022, 10:26 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:23 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

You absolutely can’t throw your players under the bus, but it’s also a little discouraging to hear him take it all the way the other direction. He didn’t need to say “we don’t want anyone to leave.” Maybe he was just being nice, but I wish he had said something else.
Trust me, he was being nice. They won't tell anyone to leave though, nor would most coaches.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2022, 10:28 pm

bpd wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:26 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Trust me, he was being nice. They won't tell anyone to leave though, nor would most coaches.
So what’s he say? “[insert player name], I think you’d really get more minutes and a better opportunity at UVU.” How is this sausage made, cause dudes get counseled out all the time.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 15th, 2022, 10:31 pm

Time to go to the large athlete store and buy a few
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 2):
utaggiesineptimusprime

Not sent from Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2022, 10:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:15 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
This big transfer out of Idaho would be better back up than either Dorius or Zapala. Nigel Johns would be a good post.

I worry that we may lose Ashworth if he's not given the exclusive nod as the starter at PG. I could see BYU calling him up with Barcello graduating.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
slcagg

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2022, 10:33 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:32 pm
slcagg wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
This big transfer out of Idaho would be better back up than either Dorius or Zapala. Nigel Johns would be a good post.

I worry that we may lose Ashworth if he's not given the exclusive nod as the starter at PG. I could see BYU calling him up with Barcello graduating.
That would be a kick in the shorts.
flying_scotsman2.0

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2022, 10:36 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:32 pm
slcagg wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

I agree we need to find two solid 5s. A solid 4. And a good 2 guard. Those are at minimum areas to improve.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 15th, 2022, 10:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Looking at the quality of the returning players if Odom is dead set on not wanting anyone else to leave it will be Odom who will be leaving in the same way that Tim Duryea and Kohn Smith “left”. Odom gets a pass this year and next (I’ve already written next season off). But thereafter he had better show some marked improvement or he’ll be a dead man walking.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » March 15th, 2022, 10:40 pm

He needs to call Nigel John asap and not hang up until he is commited
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
aggies22

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 15th, 2022, 10:44 pm

For me, nothing is more telling than the eye test. I don’t care about SOS, RPI, NET, etc. That Oregon team would be us 95 times out of 100. How the PAC 12 got fewer teams in then us, I’ll never understand (and they have a 1 seed). There is simply a different level of athlete in the pac 12 and boy was it pounded home tonight. The way they were able to shut down Ashworth after his brilliant 7 minute period in the first half showed me all I needed to see. They were bigger, stronger and more athletic 1-10. It felt like I was watching a Utah 6A team play a Utah 3a team. The lefty guard could get to the rim at will whether we were playing man or zone. The center was a beast and was able to score at will when they went to him. This game left me feeling quite depressed and kind of brought me back to reality. Having great guys that get along and work hard is nice, but it is no answer for bigger, stronger and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2022, 10:46 pm

We were bottom half of the MWC this year. It is t like we were o e of the good teams in the conference.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2022, 10:52 pm

aggieborn wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:40 pm
He needs to call Nigel John asap and not hang up until he is commited
I can see why the staff would be hesitant about John though. He's averaged 12.8ppg and 8.1rpg over his two years on only 52%FG (pretty bad for a guy that only lives in the paint) and is a 61% FT shooter. This isn't at a top level JC program.either. I would have my reservations about him being a decent upgrade over what we have.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13AggiesForever

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2022, 11:19 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

That is how I look at it. We all want to hear him say on the radio that the team sucks and the roster needs to be gutted. Odom will never say that he is a professional and will answer it politically. Behind closed doors with his coaching staff they sure as hell better realize the team needs a huge upgrade in talent and have a recruiting plan to address it.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 15th, 2022, 11:21 pm

I’m not trying to pile on or be overly critical, but I don’t understand how someone like Rylan is even looked at to play D1 basketball without being an absolute sniper from outside the arc. I can clearly see the good ball handling and passing ability, but too many other liabilities in my opinion.

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 4):
hipsterdoofus21flying_scotsman2.0Aggie formerly in HawaiiAgMac

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2022, 11:24 pm

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we are who we are. We'll win assume games in conference. Maybe even win the conference once in a while. But we're not competing on the national stage.
Last edited by Yossarian on March 15th, 2022, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2022, 11:24 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 10:44 pm
For me, nothing is more telling than the eye test. I don’t care about SOS, RPI, NET, etc. That Oregon team would be us 95 times out of 100. How the PAC 12 got fewer teams in then us, I’ll never understand (and they have a 1 seed). There is simply a different level of athlete in the pac 12 and boy was it pounded home tonight. The way they were able to shut down Ashworth after his brilliant 7 minute period in the first half showed me all I needed to see. They were bigger, stronger and more athletic 1-10. It felt like I was watching a Utah 6A team play a Utah 3a team. The lefty guard could get to the rim at will whether we were playing man or zone. The center was a beast and was able to score at will when they went to him. This game left me feeling quite depressed and kind of brought me back to reality. Having great guys that get along and work hard is nice, but it is no answer for bigger, stronger and faster.

That was without 2 of their starters as well. Even in the MW this year we did not get exposed like we did tonight. Aside from the SDSU away game we were competitive right to the last minutes. They have talent at every spot and it was impressive how they said enough is enough, we are going to impose our will. I can't even get mad because they are just more talented.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 15th, 2022, 11:27 pm

This has been the same wake up call for the past 3-4 years.. Washington, Texas Tech, and now Oregon. Get to the postseason, get paired with a P5 team with superior athleticism, and we can’t keep up down the stretch.. If we don’t have the athleticism than at the very least we need big time shooters, and we haven’t even been able to recruit that.

I still love the Odom hire. We’ll see what happens this off-season!
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post (total 5):
flying_scotsman2.0hipsterdoofus21smfdaggieAngusAgAggiesForever

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 15th, 2022, 11:35 pm

I said this same thing to my wife as we were walking to the car after the game. Craig Smith really left us in a bind, and Odom needs to learn quickly the level of athleticism we need to be successful at this level. Other teams in the conference are getting better athletes than us. I honestly think we are better coached than Oregon. But all they had to do in the second half was make layups because we couldn't stay in front of them, and we have no semblance of a rim protector. I mean, I have no clue why Dorius didn't get some minutes in the second half. At least he would have put some people on the ground.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2022, 11:44 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:35 pm
I said this same thing to my wife as we were walking to the car after the game. Craig Smith really left us in a bind, and Odom needs to learn quickly the level of athleticism we need to be successful at this level. Other teams in the conference are getting better athletes than us. I honestly think we are better coached than Oregon. But all they had to do in the second half was make layups because we couldn't stay in front of them, and we have no semblance of a rim protector. I mean, I have no clue why Dorius didn't get some minutes in the second half. At least he would have put some people on the ground.
Dorius and Zapala not playing any meaningful minutes for a few weeks now seems to be a tell. Or am I just hoping it’s a tell?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 15th, 2022, 11:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Dorius and Zapala not playing any meaningful minutes for a few weeks now seems to be a tell. Or am I just hoping it’s a tell?
Dorius not even getting in at the end says a lot to me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2022, 11:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:44 pm
I hope it is. Love the guys, same with Jones, but the conference has raised the bar and if we ever want to win in the NCAAs we need to get a lot better.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 15th, 2022, 11:55 pm

So, realistically, we’re never going to be able to recruit at the level of P5 schools (particularly schools like Oregon that recruit at the top end even of P5 talent), and are always going to have less athleticism and be at somewhat of a disadvantage. Just like Big Sky schools ordinarily are at a disadvantage when they play us.

But we’ve beaten multiple P5 schools over the past few seasons. We don’t need to be perfect, we just need to get more athletic and more skilled. This team collectively was not nearly skilled enough to make up for its lack of athleticism.

Sitting down and looking at the roster on paper, it seems like a miracle this team won a preseason tourney with a solid field and became an NIT team. This gives me some hope that with an athleticism upgrade Odom could really do something special here.

Odom’s better teams had far more dynamic and quick guards than we have (KJ Maura and Jairus Lyles). I like Ashworth a lot, and I know the obvious focus is on needs at the 3, 4, and 5, but I’d really like to see us land a dynamic 2 guard or combo guard that can stir the drink better than Jones and allow Ashworth more minutes.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 16th, 2022, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSHarvey

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2022, 11:58 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:55 pm
So, realistically, we’re never going to be able to recruit at the level of P5 schools (particularly schools like Oregon that recruit at the top end even of P5 talent), and are always going to have less athleticism and be at somewhat of a disadvantage. Just like Big Sky schools ordinarily are at a disadvantage when they play us.

But we’ve beaten multiple P5 schools over the past few seasons. We don’t need to be perfect, we just need to get more athletic and more skilled. This team collectively was not nearly skilled enough to make up for its lack of athleticism.

Sitting down and looking at the roster on paper, it seems like a miracle this team won a preseason tourney with a solid field and became an NIT team. This gives me some hope that with an athleticism upgrade Odom could really do something special here.
good point. We have beaten some P5s lately, I think tonight we saw a team that was built to be a contender but has under produced. They have the size and athleticism that money can buy.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 12:02 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:58 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:55 pm

good point. We have beaten some P5s lately, I think tonight we saw a team that was built to be a contender but has under produced. They have the size and athleticism that money can buy.
Imagine if 5-star N’Faly Dante had played. I don’t like that matchup for Horvath as much as I like his game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 16th, 2022, 12:09 am

Oregon certainly has talent and has some good wins, but they are also the team that lost to alot of bad teams this year; cal, asu, stanford, washington, etc. . . A mediocre inconsistent team without 2 starters playing in the spectrum should be a win for us if our program is where it should be.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 12:25 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 12:09 am
Oregon certainly has talent and has some good wins, but they are also the team that lost to alot of bad teams this year; cal, asu, stanford, washington, etc. . . A mediocre inconsistent team without 2 starters playing in the spectrum should be a win for us if our program is where it should be.
They also swept UCLA, beat USC, came within a hair of beating Arizona at Arizona, played Baylor close, and blew the doors off of SMU. Jekyll-Hyde team and we got Jekyll tonight in the second half. They are the classic Uber-talented but underachieving team.

We have a wonderful program with a winning tradition, but we’ve never been one to beat P5 teams with 4 and 5 star recruits. We’re a very good basketball program in the grand scheme of things, and I hope Ryan Odom is the guy to up our recruiting to the next level.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 16th, 2022, 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21vegasaggie

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2022, 12:25 am

Oregon basketball budget 2021-Just under 10 million.

Utah state basketball budget 2021-4.25 million.

Just sayin………..

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 16th, 2022, 12:40 am

Biggest problem with this team is being unathletic and no shooters. Honestly it's amazing we did as well as we did this year with the way we shot the ball

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 16th, 2022, 7:43 am

Honestly, I don't care if we can compete with Oregon when they are doing their thing. Their guards hit some amazing shots that were well defended. Oregon should expect to be much more talented than USU. With a good team, we will win some of these games. This year's team hasn't been very good since the beginning of the year. I would say we are the poor man's version of Oregon. We beat some really good MWC teams but also lost to some very bad teams.

The wake up call is that we aren't even a top level MWC team. Our talent is well behind the top teams in our own conference. I've watched some of these lower level teams the last week and they have better athletes then we do. We are unathletic and can't shoot very well. I am amazed we did as well as we did this year.

It only takes a few good players to change a team. Odom doesn't need 6-7 all conference guys next year. He needs to find a couple of really good pieces. An enforcer down low and a scoring guard would have been huge for this team. Good luck Coach Odom.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 16th, 2022, 8:26 am

In our defense, this years Aggie team isn’t very good.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 16th, 2022, 8:33 am

It was quite apparent last night why Jones is no longer competing in the PAC12.

Locked Previous topicNext topic