Recruiting Thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
UStateTim

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by UStateTim » June 27th, 2021, 8:10 pm

The wide net approach makes too much sense given how volatile the transfer portal is. Now if we can land these kids right away I would be blown away.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
BLUERUFiO

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » June 27th, 2021, 10:48 pm

These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post:
AggieArmy

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 28th, 2021, 11:46 am

We need to offer Jack Payne. He played for Boise High School and this year will be a senior at a brand new High School (Owyhee) in Meridian. This last weekend Owyhee played in a tournament in Phoenix and Jack picked up an offer from University of Colorado. He already holds offers from University of Montana, University of Idaho, and Southern Utah University. He is a great Quarterback too.

@aggies22 Do you know if he is on USU's radar?
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
aggies22

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 28th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 11:46 am
We need to offer Jack Payne. He played for Boise High School and this year will be a senior at a brand new High School (Owyhee) in Meridian. This last weekend Owyhee played in a tournament in Phoenix and Jack picked up an offer from University of Colorado. He already holds offers from University of Montana, University of Idaho, and Southern Utah University. He is a great Quarterback too.

Is it just me, or is the self-lob and douchey move?

Eutaw St. Aggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 28th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 12:05 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:

I think it is if it's just for show, but he actually used it to get around a defender, so it was functional even if unconventional.

Aggies All the Way!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 28th, 2021, 12:14 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 12:11 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

I think it is if it's just for show, but he actually used it to get around a defender, so it was functional even if unconventional.
Should it have been called traveling? He bounces the ball off the floor (essentially a dribble), and then runs about 5 steps to catch the ball. How is that not traveling?

Eutaw St. Aggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 28th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 12:14 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Should it have been called traveling? He bounces the ball off the floor (essentially a dribble), and then runs about 5 steps to catch the ball. How is that not traveling?
Interesting, hadn't thought of that. Looked up the NBA rules, and it says that a player can't catch his own pass unless it hits the hoop or another player. Didn't see any provision for NCAA or FIBA like that, though. Without that provision, you could argue it's a loose ball.

Aggies All the Way!

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » June 28th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Yossarian wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Yes, it’s a travel. You can’t pass to yourself, unless it’s off the backboard. The ref was probably just amazed as everybody else, and allowed it. Ha ha

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 28th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Hardly looks like a real game though. There's a notable lack of hustle, they've got cheap jerseys on. Just a bunch of guys playing around. Right?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 28th, 2021, 2:28 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 1:41 pm
Yossarian wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Yes, it’s a travel. You can’t pass to yourself, unless it’s off the backboard. The ref was probably just amazed as everybody else, and allowed it. Ha ha
Nope! High School refs are well trained and rarely, if ever, miss traveling calls. :joking: I wonder what an NBA official would have called?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 28th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Hardly looks like a real game though. There's a notable lack of hustle, they've got cheap jerseys on. Just a bunch of guys playing around. Right?
It couldn't have been churchball or the defender would have run up and taken his legs out from under him when he jumped.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
brownjeansaggies22Real Life Aggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Not just you. Had I been the on the opposing team, I'd have put him on his butt - if not on the attempt, then on the next play.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 28th, 2021, 3:07 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:

Jack is currently not on our radar.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 28th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 2:28 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 1:41 pm
Yossarian wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:

Nope! High School refs are well trained and rarely, if ever, miss traveling calls. :joking: I wonder what an NBA official would have called?

It is a single dribble into a shot. He bounces the ball with one had, albeit very high and far and then grabs the ball with two hands into the shot. The same as he would with a jumpshot from that spot with a more conventional dribble. I can agree on it being douchey.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 28th, 2021, 5:21 pm

He also runs 5 steps between the bounce and where he catches to ball to shoot and he doesn't keep his hand on top of the ball during the bounce. You can't run five steps from the time you take a dribble to the time you pick up the dribble to shoot.

Eutaw St. Aggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 28th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:He also runs 5 steps between the bounce and where he catches to ball to shoot and he doesn't keep his hand on top of the ball during the bounce. You can't run five steps from the time you take a dribble to the time you pick up the dribble to shoot.
There's no limit to steps between dribbles. There is no traveling unless you carry the ball. Players will sometimes throw the ball way ahead of them to get into a fast break and take 5+ steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

aggietime

Post by aggietime » June 28th, 2021, 5:42 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 5:24 pm
Yossarian wrote:He also runs 5 steps between the bounce and where he catches to ball to shoot and he doesn't keep his hand on top of the ball during the bounce. You can't run five steps from the time you take a dribble to the time you pick up the dribble to shoot.
There's no limit to steps between dribbles. There is no traveling unless you carry the ball. Players will sometimes throw the ball way ahead of them to get into a fast break and take 5+ steps.

Thank you. You can't travel if you're not holding the ball. Definitely not a travel.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 28th, 2021, 6:07 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Similar discussion I found here:

https://forum.officiating.com/basketbal ... ble-2.html

Some agree with you - you can't travel while you're dribbling and/or don't have the ball in your hand.

I say there is a difference between throwing the ball out in front of you and running up to catch in on a fast break (Case A) and doing what this kid did (Case B). In Case A, a player hasn't started the dribble until he catches up to the ball. He must then maintain control of the ball with his hand on top of it as he continues down the floor. Yes, he may take more than two steps between dribbles, but he is in control of the ball. In Case B, the player has made his first dribble from a standing position and he does not have control of the ball. I guess he never came down with the ball though - he just jumped up and grabbed it and shot. I could be wrong on the travel call - it just doesn't "look" like a legal play to me. And it's douchey.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » June 28th, 2021, 7:19 pm

I don’t claim to know the official rule but for me the question is whether that big bounce is considered a pass or a dribble. If a pass, it would be a travel, if a dribble, then I would say it was legal since he wasn’t palming/carrying the ball. I’m assuming there is no rule on how many steps a player can take between dribbles or how high the ball can bounce on a dribble. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 28th, 2021, 8:51 pm

No restrictions on how high the ball bounces or how many steps you can take dribbling as long as the ball doesn't come to rest in your hand.

No difference between a long dribble thrown ahead and this play... except for the douchiness. Nothing illegal about it matter how it looks. Would I want this guy? No
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
aggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aggietime

Post by aggietime » June 28th, 2021, 10:00 pm

I can't imagine judging a 16ish year old kid as a douche for one play in a rec league type game...yikes. Take a deep breath y'all.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 28th, 2021, 11:04 pm

aggietime wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 10:00 pm
I can't imagine judging a 16ish year old kid as a douche for one play in a rec league type game...yikes. Take a deep breath y'all.
Lots of us were probably douches on occasion at 16. I know I was. And if I could do that when I was 16, I would have.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieaggietimeAggieFBObsession

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 29th, 2021, 7:57 am

I am still pretty douchey and I am 66..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 4):
USU78Real Life AggieAggieFBObsessioncrazywookie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 29th, 2021, 8:13 am

nvspuds wrote:
June 29th, 2021, 7:57 am
I mean, I didn't want to be the one to say it, spuds. :joking:

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 29th, 2021, 9:15 am

nvspuds wrote:
June 29th, 2021, 7:57 am
If you're pulling this move at the local rec center when you're 66 years old, that makes you a legend, not a douche.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
aggies223rdGenAggie

Aggies All the Way!

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 29th, 2021, 10:16 am

I am a legend in my own room and a rumor in my own time..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » June 30th, 2021, 6:17 am

These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyReal Life Aggie

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » June 30th, 2021, 11:04 pm

These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
AggieArmy

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » July 14th, 2021, 11:10 am

2023 pg from Dallas

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » July 21st, 2021, 7:37 am

These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggieArmy

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » August 8th, 2021, 11:27 am

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 9th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Who wants another basketball recruit that is also a great quarterback?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 9th, 2021, 7:21 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 7:37 am
It always surprises me to see schools like Kansas be one of just a few offers. You'd think they would just keep the 3* type kids on the hook just enough without offering and go full bore at nothing but 4* and 5* until closer to signing day. Then just move in and sweep up most any 3* they want at the finish line.

I mean, it's always possible this kid is a 4 or 5* recruit and they're just early on him, but typically one of the primary aspects of a 4 of 5* kid is that it's apparent to everyone they are one.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
aggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Locked Previous topicNext topic