Jaycee Article

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Jaycee Article

Post by Aggie84025 » May 4th, 2021, 7:45 pm

For those that don't look on the front of website for articles, below is an awesome article about Jaycee. It goes into his recruiting to USU, his ranch and his playing days in Europe. Brought back a lot of good memories. He was one of my favorites to watch play. I loved how he never stood still, he was always moving on offense.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50159497/ba ... l-likes-it
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
slcaggAggieArmyBank Shot

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: Jaycee Article

Post by bigblue » May 4th, 2021, 7:55 pm

Us tapatalk users these posts!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 4th, 2021, 9:53 pm

It still kills me he never played in the NBA. Damit Stew! Couldn't you have let him play some point guard his senior year?
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

stang

Post by stang » May 5th, 2021, 12:58 am

That was a very well-written article, definitely worth a read.

Imagine being the Wyoming coach who couldn't even be bothered to make the time to go watch a kid who is averaging nearly 40 points per game when he's playing in your own town, then watching him go on to become the top scorer in USU history.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
ViAggieReal Life Aggie

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » May 5th, 2021, 8:37 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 9:53 pm
It still kills me he never played in the NBA. Damit Stew! Couldn't you have let him play some point guard his senior year?
I'm not saying JC couldn't have improved his point guard skills but he really wasn't a point guard. I don't think Stew playing him there would have changed that. It's what he did off the ball that made him so special.
These users thanked the author jwaggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttstewusu98

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 5th, 2021, 9:05 am

stang wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:58 am
That was a very well-written article, definitely worth a read.

Imagine being the Wyoming coach who couldn't even be bothered to make the time to go watch a kid who is averaging nearly 40 points per game when he's playing in your own town, then watching him go on to become the top scorer in USU history.
The WYO coach could not even make it to games in Cheyenne to watch him when the Evanston team had to travel 300 miles to get there. Jaycee want to be a cowboy as well and they did not give him the time of day.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 5th, 2021, 9:24 am

Anyone have any recollection of how JC did in games vs. Wyoming?

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » May 5th, 2021, 9:30 am

Bank Shot wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 9:24 am
I’m not sure we played Wyoming when he was here at all. Could be wrong

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 5th, 2021, 12:04 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 9:30 am
Bank Shot wrote:
Yea I don't think so considering we were in the WAC at the time and Wyoming was in the MWC and was too snooty to play us (until they had no choice).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » May 5th, 2021, 12:11 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:04 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 9:30 am
Bank Shot wrote:
Yea I don't think so considering we were in the WAC at the time and Wyoming was in the MWC and was too snooty to play us (until they had no choice).
We played them on New Year's Eve in 2008, so they just missed him.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 5th, 2021, 12:30 pm

jwaggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 8:37 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
I'm not saying JC couldn't have improved his point guard skills but he really wasn't a point guard. I don't think Stew playing him there would have changed that. It's what he did off the ball that made him so special.
I disagree. JC was an incredible 2 guard but had the athleticism (he's dunked on multiple occasions), ball-handling ability, work ethic, and overall talent to ALSO be elite as a point guard (al-a Steph Curry); IF he had focused on it. I specifically remember Stew being asked about it pre-season and he responded by saying that JC could easily do it but "our team needs him to play off the ball."

So instead of helping the greatest athlete he's ever coached reach his dream of playing in the NBA, Stew did what he thought was best for Stew and his team (which ended up being a disappointing season anyway because he failed to put any talent around JC).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 5th, 2021, 1:37 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:30 pm
jwaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
I disagree. JC was an incredible 2 guard but had the athleticism (he's dunked on multiple occasions), ball-handling ability, work ethic, and overall talent to ALSO be elite as a point guard (al-a Steph Curry); IF he had focused on it. I specifically remember Stew being asked about it pre-season and he responded by saying that JC could easily do it but "our team needs him to play off the ball."

So instead of helping the greatest athlete he's ever coached reach his dream of playing in the NBA, Stew did what he thought was best for Stew and his team (which ended up being a disappointing season anyway because he failed to put any talent around JC).
Yeah to me the 2007-2008 Aggies were the most disappointing team of my life. Don't get me wrong, they were good. They went undefeated at home and shared the regular season Wac title. However, that team should have been so much better. You had 3 conference player of the year's on the team at once and several good role players. Love Stew, but he should have got more wins out of that group. That team should have been special.

I do strongly disagree about Stew failing to put talent around Jaycee. That 2007-2008 team was loaded. There is a reason they went 30-5 the year after he graduated and got the highest seed a Stew coached team ever got in the dance.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on May 5th, 2021, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » May 5th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 1:37 pm
Yeah to me the 2007-2008 Aggies were the most disappointing team of my life. Don't get me wrong, they were good. They went undefeated at home and shared the regular season Wac title. However, that team should have been so much better. You had 3 conference player of the year's on the team at once and several good role players. Love Stew, but he should have got more wins out of that group. That team should have been special.
Don’t forget, P5 transfer Brayden Bell was also on that team, at least part of the season.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Pacobag wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 2:37 pm
Don’t forget, P5 transfer Brayden Bell was also on that team, at least part of the season.
True, how could I not mention Buckeye legend Brayden Bell.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 5th, 2021, 2:59 pm

May 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Pacobag wrote:
You mean Lurch? :joking:

Ok okay I need to stop being so mean to him like that :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 5th, 2021, 3:05 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 2:59 pm
May 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Pacobag wrote:
You mean Lurch? :joking:

Ok okay I need to stop being so mean to him like that :lol:
Haha it is funny looking back how excited my Aggie fan friends were for him coming here, but I'd be lying if I didn't think he would be better.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 5th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Loved Jaycee. I'll never forget the beating he took in a game at Santa Clara I went to. We still won the game but man, I've seen some rough play, but that one stands out. It was ugly. They put him on the deck almost every shot he took. Those WCC teams usually have a 7' 300lb stiff who looks like anything but a BB player. Santa Clara had one of those guys and he even came out and hammered Jaycee down. There were no flagrant fouls at that time.

Makes me mad all over again just remembering it.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » May 5th, 2021, 5:50 pm

stang wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:58 am
The coach apparently fell into the trap of "he didn't play against the level of competition required for one to to be good." You sometimes see the same attitude expressed on message boards.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » May 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Two plays really stand out for me that went otherwise quietly by during his time.

1. I was there for his first 3 in the Spectrum. Out trots this freshman no one really knows. And very early in the game he came off a screen into the corner where the students all sit. Got a pass from inside where everyone expected some sort of keep layup. That release was instantaneous the crowd groaned like "who does this guy think he is." Half way through the disappointment the ball splashes the net and everything changed to cheers. They must have ran that play 5 more times no one was ready for it.

2. Byu in the Spectrum probably mad at this point from answering the question why they didn't offer a scholarship to clearly the best player in utah at the time. Ball right around mid court some sack on byu comes up with the ball and clears out throwing an elbow above his head clocked Jaycee hard in the jaw. Refs reviewed it called it clean and the game went on. Damn refs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 5th, 2021, 8:30 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:30 pm
jwaggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

In other words, exactly what he was paid to do.

GUS

Post by GUS » May 5th, 2021, 8:56 pm

I remember telling my brother about 5 or 6 games into Jaycee's first season playing that he looked to be a special player.

Locked Previous topicNext topic