Early Commits

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
browntown

Early Commits

Post by browntown » April 28th, 2021, 1:42 pm

I was trying to think back to past recruiting cycles, and to me it seems like it has been uncommon that we’ve had recruits commit to us this early in the process. Are we just ahead in the recruiting with this new coaching staff or have we always had guys commit in March and April a year before they will join the program?

Also on this topic, the quality of the recruits is discussed, and I wanted to see if these early commits tend to be the most highly regarded of the class / will be the most impactful on our program? I would assume so, but wondered what others think.
These users thanked the author browntown for the post:
SlumJum

Roy McAvoy

Re: Early Commits

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 28th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Two reasons I think for this are that

#1 - We just have a very dynamic recruiting staff.
#2 - We have offered a lot of kids. Like A LOT. And they have an offer but if they snooze & someone else commits, they no longer hold an offer. So the kids are feeling the pressure to commit sooner because if someone else at their position commits first, they'll probably lose their offer. I think that's causing kids to commit sooner because they don't want to lose out on their offer.

I'll be interested if we lose any kids late in the process that end up getting an offer they want more and get flipped.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 28th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 2:05 pm

#2 - We have offered a lot of kids. Like A LOT. And they have an offer but if they snooze & someone else commits, they no longer hold an offer. So the kids are feeling the pressure to commit sooner because if someone else at their position commits first, they'll probably lose their offer. I think that's causing kids to commit sooner because they don't want to lose out on their offer.

I'll be interested if we lose any kids late in the process that end up getting an offer they want more and get flipped.
I expect we will probably lose some kids, but we'll probably flip some kids too. Although the December signing period helps with that.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
aggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2021, 4:11 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 2:24 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I expect we will probably lose some kids, but we'll probably flip some kids too. Although the December signing period helps with that.
I wish we had a week long signing period the last week of July just prior to fall camps opening.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

I think you're on point my Aggie brother.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 29th, 2021, 9:43 am

Possibly these players understand there are limited scholarships for the next year with the SUPER SENIOR event. This could be a reason why we are seeing so many early commits. Bird in the hand vs 2 birds in the bush.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 29th, 2021, 9:50 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:43 am
Possibly these players understand there are limited scholarships for the next year with the SUPER SENIOR event. This could be a reason why we are seeing so many early commits. Bird in the hand vs 2 birds in the bush.
Good point. However Looking at other mwc schools though we have by far the highest number of commits at this point. I just think this is a heck of a recruiting staff.

One thing i think of some of these guys we are recruiting. If they had held out longer and received more offers their ranking would be higher. I think in a lot of cases if usu gets a commit and they haven’t ranked him he will end up around a 80 pt 3 star. Where as if he had committed to Boise he’d end up a 85 pt 3 star. At least on these early commits.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
BustaMcNutt

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 29th, 2021, 3:28 pm

We are sure reeling a lot of dudes in. I still worry about the on-paper quality of this class. The reality is, not a lot of dudes with other D1 offers are committed.

We have had some really good teams in the past built on guys just like this, but we seem to be by far the best offer of anyone we have committed so far, with the exception of Cahlede Jackson (who seems to have had a P5 offer). I mean, of course we are beating out NAU and Morgan State.

I’m not mad or disappointed, but by the same token, not really that excited about loading up on guys with no other real comparable options (until I see them play).

:noidea:

I will stop being a wet blanket now, because I really don’t care THAT much about football.

And I will add — reeling in Cornelius Wright would impress me.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » May 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Any word on Cornelius Wright and if he’s going to commit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 4th, 2021, 5:18 pm

The amount of offers we are making that I see on Twitter is absolutely staggering haha.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
BLUERUFiO

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 4th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 5:18 pm
The amount of offers we are making that I see on Twitter is absolutely staggering haha.
I know. It’s crazy.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm

You catch more fish when you have more lines in the water 🎣
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78AggieFBObsession

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 4th, 2021, 6:55 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Any word on Cornelius Wright and if he’s going to commit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be SHOCKED if we did not earn a verbal commitment from Cornelius Wright. I think this will happen much sooner than later.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
USU78AgMan21

cbingham

Post by cbingham » May 5th, 2021, 9:45 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

I love recruiting almost as much as I love watching the play on the field and along with the Aggies also follow University of Texas and Texas high school recruiting.

There are a lot of variables that gait a kid committing. Each program looks at things very differently, a couple to chew on:
1) A lot of programs keep commitments silent to keep them under the radar - this normally happens if they think there is risk to a kid flipping or if they think the commitment potentially affects another recruiting target at the same position
2) Teams have very different timelines for recruiting... some smaller teams like to prioritize all OVs late in the process to try and catch scraps that are recruited over in bigger programs. Others, seeming this staff are anxious to build relationships throughout the cycle in hopes of reeling in bigger fish
3) Some programs are happy to publicize commitments early on in order to create buzz even if they have expectation that they won't land a recruit due to competitive flip or grades.

In talking to Matt Wells he said that he liked to keep cards a bit closer to the vest and hold openings for late in the cycle. I think this was equal parts fear based and also realistic given the Ags place in the national recruiting landscape. I'm enjoying the different and bold approach that we're seeing from the new staff. I'm anxious to watch how it continues to shape up and also see if it hangs together as bigger schools potentially opportunistically dip into our pool of cultivated talen.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post (total 3):
aggies22AggieArmyAussieAggieDad

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 5th, 2021, 10:24 am

cbingham wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 9:45 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I love recruiting almost as much as I love watching the play on the field and along with the Aggies also follow University of Texas and Texas high school recruiting.

There are a lot of variables that gait a kid committing. Each program looks at things very differently, a couple to chew on:
1) A lot of programs keep commitments silent to keep them under the radar - this normally happens if they think there is risk to a kid flipping or if they think the commitment potentially affects another recruiting target at the same position
2) Teams have very different timelines for recruiting... some smaller teams like to prioritize all OVs late in the process to try and catch scraps that are recruited over in bigger programs. Others, seeming this staff are anxious to build relationships throughout the cycle in hopes of reeling in bigger fish
3) Some programs are happy to publicize commitments early on in order to create buzz even if they have expectation that they won't land a recruit due to competitive flip or grades.

In talking to Matt Wells he said that he liked to keep cards a bit closer to the vest and hold openings for late in the cycle. I think this was equal parts fear based and also realistic given the Ags place in the national recruiting landscape. I'm enjoying the different and bold approach that we're seeing from the new staff. I'm anxious to watch how it continues to shape up and also see if it hangs together as bigger schools potentially opportunistically dip into our pool of cultivated talen.
I'm not sure how you would keep commitments silent in today's world where everyone has a Twitter account (except me) and they announce to the world that they have been offered and/or have committed to a school.

Signing Day is a lot different around USU than it used to be. We, the fans, had very little clue as to who was going to sign. And even the ones that we knew of, it seemed was always a question whether they would sign or not. Signing Day on the old Aggie Boards was the busiest day. As facsimiles with signatures came in and were announced, the board was abuzz with activity and comments. It was like Christmas Day around here. Now - we pretty much know who is in several months before signing day. It's not as exciting and it's also not as ....... nerve-wracking.

Eutaw St. Aggie

bullshot

Post by bullshot » May 5th, 2021, 10:29 am

cbingham wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

So with #1. Can the school keep the student athlete from going on social media to broadcast their commitments?
It would seem that the cat is out of the perverbial bag at that point.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » May 5th, 2021, 10:42 am

Yes, if you have enough juice you ask the commit to remain quiet while you "create a commitment video" (which can take couple of months or explain the reason to stay quiet (i.e. to damage another school, etc / not effect another recruitment. Lots of examples doing this across lots of schools. @Yossarian, if you've generally only followed USU recruiting you are correct... this would be a new concept for you.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » May 5th, 2021, 10:44 am

Also, silent commits don't go all the way to NSD1 or NSD2, they just don't drop immediately upon the verbal being made... more a push to later in the cycle or past OVs.

I'll be more confident in all these OOS recruits when we actually get them on campus for their OVs. Until then the verbals are more just for fun.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » May 5th, 2021, 10:55 am

OVs, OOS, NSD1, NSD2..... Holy acronyms Batman... uh I mean bingman!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 5th, 2021, 11:43 am

cbingham wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 10:44 am
Also, silent commits don't go all the way to NSD1 or NSD2, they just don't drop immediately upon the verbal being made... more a push to later in the cycle or past OVs.

I'll be more confident in all these OOS recruits when we actually get them on campus for their OVs. Until then the verbals are more just for fun.
Most of the current commits are coming on their official visits in June.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 5th, 2021, 11:45 am

USUaggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 10:55 am
OVs = official visits
NSD1 = national signing day 1 (the one in December)
NSD2 = national signing day 2 (the one in February)

I'm not sure what he means by OOS.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
USU78USUaggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 5th, 2021, 11:48 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 11:45 am
USUaggie wrote:
OVs = official visits

Out of state 🙂

These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78USUaggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

cbingham

Post by cbingham » May 5th, 2021, 11:57 am

GeoAg wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 11:48 am
aggies22 wrote:
USUaggie wrote:
OVs = official visits

Out of state 🙂

Ding, ding, ding. Winner! Will try to slow my roll with the recruiting vernacular.

@22, I'll feel more comfortable after June then!
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post:
aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 5th, 2021, 12:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
USUaggie wrote:
OVs = official visits

Out of socks?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
LarryTheAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » May 5th, 2021, 12:41 pm

cbingham wrote:

Hope springs eternal. Regarding more fishing lines, you first need to have a good hook and the right bait. I think our staff has as good of bait as is possible at Utah State.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 5th, 2021, 1:21 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 12:41 pm
Hope springs eternal. Regarding more fishing lines, you first need to have a good hook and the right bait. I think our staff has as good of bait as is possible at Utah State.
They've been impressive. A fine set of master baiters we have here!

wait...

These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiO

SlumJum

Post by SlumJum » May 12th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Seems like we got another one? They didn't use hurdemup22 though, so maybe not.
Last edited by SlumJum on May 12th, 2021, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 12th, 2021, 2:14 pm

SlumJum wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Seems like we got another one? Probably O-Line
Yeah somewhere along the front? Defense or offense. 22?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 12th, 2021, 2:29 pm

Dline.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2021, 2:34 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 2:14 pm
SlumJum wrote:

Defensive line. This should excite Aggie Nation.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
slcaggflying_scotsman2.0BLUERUFiO3rdGenAggie

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

That GIF Banda tweeted is wild. Love it and I’m sure the young men do too.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 12th, 2021, 3:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 2:34 pm
slcagg wrote:
SlumJum wrote:

So I am assuming this is not the walk-on from BYU?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 3:34 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 2:34 pm
slcagg wrote:
SlumJum wrote:

So I am assuming this is not the walk-on from BYU?
Definitely not!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 12th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Is this a 2021 or 2022 commit?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SlumJum

Post by SlumJum » May 12th, 2021, 4:07 pm

This is my guess as to who the commit is. Would be a great pickup. From what someone else said, him and Saco will be teammates this year at Lone Peak.
These users thanked the author SlumJum for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic