Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 29th, 2021, 8:36 pm

Jordan Love could see the field next year. Rodgers has a short memory when it comes to him and Brett Farve.

I hope Love gets one more year as a backup there. He needed a little more time develop IMO.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/29/22410 ... -love-time

FL350Aggie

Re: Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay

Post by FL350Aggie » April 29th, 2021, 9:05 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:36 pm
Jordan Love could see the field next year. Rodgers has a short memory when it comes to him and Brett Farve.

I hope Love gets one more year as a backup there. He needed a little more time develop IMO.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/4/29/22410 ... -love-time
Yeah I honestly feel like Rodgers is being a whiny pansy. Jordan is just caught in the crossfire. I think Rodgers is thinking with the wrong head, everything started happening after he got engaged.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 29th, 2021, 10:00 pm

I thought Rodgers would be gone after next year. I’m not super worried that Love wouldn’t be ready. With weapons like Adams and Jones with a good offensive line, you couldn’t ask for a better situation for Love

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 29th, 2021, 10:10 pm

I’m tellin y’all Rodgers is very manipulative. He just sends out hitmen like McAffee to do his dirty work.

He’s very good at putting on an “Everyman” face when he is “spontaneously” seen on a beer run I n the back of a truck.

It’s not an accident it was released when the packers were most vulnerable. It’s not an accident that a likely fake potential Jordan Love trade was released.

(In my opinion)

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » April 30th, 2021, 7:21 am

I like Rodgers. Great player obviously with too many NFL awards to mention on here. Highly intelligent. He's proven himself on the field, has done a great job for Green Bay. And, he helped me win my fantasy league championship this past season.

Green Bay management isn't showing up too well in this particular situation. He isn't their slave. He has every right to do what he has to do to get out of Green Bay if he so chooses. GB management certainly does what it feels like doing. He isn't their slave and it's time for Jordan Love to stand up and prove himself, or not. To prove that he's not a 1st round bust. I hope Rodgers gets out of Green Bay, either to SF or Denver, and comes back to put the beat down on Green Bay more than once.

I think he'll be out of there within the month and on to better things, and good for him.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
FloridaAggie13

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 30th, 2021, 8:17 am

The problems Rogers complains about are of his own making. He wants to win, but wants to get paid $40 mil. Those two things can't coexist. If he really wanted to win, Rogers could have followed Brady's example and taken less money. He didn't. So he had to try to win in his own because there's not enough money left to get him good help. That was the choice he made when he took all that money.
Now Rogers can't win and he's blaming Green Bay management. It's not their fault Rogers isn't good enough to win in his own.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
JSHarvey

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 30th, 2021, 8:40 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 8:17 am
The problems Rogers complains about are of his own making. He wants to win, but wants to get paid $40 mil. Those two things can't coexist. If he really wanted to win, Rogers could have followed Brady's example and taken less money. He didn't. So he had to try to win in his own because there's not enough money left to get him good help. That was the choice he made when he took all that money.
Now Rogers can't win and he's blaming Green Bay management. It's not their fault Rogers isn't good enough to win in his own.
It’s easier to take less money when you’re married to the richest supermodel in the world.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 30th, 2021, 8:43 am

brownjeans wrote:
I'm a huge Packers fan, however I share your sentiments 100%. Every year there's drama in Green Bay and every year that drama surrounds Aaron Rodgers. All this drama (year in/year out) just further shows his me first mentality that you point out, rather than team first. Time for him to move on
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 30th, 2021, 9:11 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
I'm a huge Packers fan, however I share your sentiments 100%. Every year there's drama in Green Bay and every year that drama surrounds Aaron Rodgers. All this drama (year in/year out) just further shows his me first mentality that you point out, rather than team first. Time for him to move on
Nice. A Packer fan in Chicago?? I like that. Huge Packer fan too (sorry. I know you don’t like me)

You and Brownjeans are correct. It’s hard to win a super bowl paying when one player makes so much money. Your guy either needs to be on a rookie contract like Russell Wilson or take less money like Brady. Rodgers is turning a little into Favre……drama every off season.

I do wish this was happening next year at this time so Love had one more season of seasoning. Rodgers is such a dead cap hit, I don’t know how they can get rid of him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
JSHarvey

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » April 30th, 2021, 10:13 am

As a Packer fan who is closely tied into what is going on in Green Bay, let me tell you that this was a tempest in the teapot coooked up by ESPN to try and get viewership and “clicks” for the NFL Draft coverage. IT NEVER WAS A STORY, and Packer ESPN reporter Rob Demovsky pretty much admitted that his “sources” were quite a bit less than unimpeachable.

Jordan Love will play this year as the backup QB, and he will play because after an MVP season, Rodgers is now due to have an injury season. But Rodgers is going nowhere until his contract ends (unless he retires), and it has at least two more years to run.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 30th, 2021, 10:32 am

2004AG wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:11 am
ChicagoAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Nice. A Packer fan in Chicago?? I like that. Huge Packer fan too (sorry. I know you don’t like me)

You and Brownjeans are correct. It’s hard to win a super bowl paying when one player makes so much money. Your guy either needs to be on a rookie contract like Russell Wilson or take less money like Brady. Rodgers is turning a little into Favre……drama every off season.

I do wish this was happening next year at this time so Love had one more season of seasoning. Rodgers is such a dead cap hit, I don’t know how they can get rid of him though.

If the Packers trade Rodgers now they will take a nearly 32 million dollar cap hit. Rodgers doesn’t want anyone to know that.

If you listen to Aaron Rodgers the packers never had any talent around him. He’s had Cobb, Nelson, Adams, and Driver. He’s also had some very good offensive lines.

Even if they wait until June to make a trade it’s still a substantial amount of a dead cap hit- the offering to the Pack should be significant.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 30th, 2021, 10:33 am

AggiesForever wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 10:13 am
As a Packer fan who is closely tied into what is going on in Green Bay, let me tell you that this was a tempest in the teapot coooked up by ESPN to try and get viewership and “clicks” for the NFL Draft coverage. IT NEVER WAS A STORY, and Packer ESPN reporter Rob Demovsky pretty much admitted that his “sources” were quite a bit less than unimpeachable.

Jordan Love will play this year as the backup QB, and he will play because after an MVP season, Rodgers is now due to have an injury season. But Rodgers is going nowhere until his contract ends (unless he retires), and it has at least two more years to run.
Then Rodgers should speak up.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
AngusAg

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 30th, 2021, 11:07 am

Packers have all the power right now because Rodgers is under contract. It's a negotiation. Rogers and his agent just made the negotiations public which is their leverage.

Pack wants to convert Rogers contract $ in a way that makes it more cap friendly, and they probably want to extend it at a lower amount. Rodgers want's a long term contract. It should be fun to watch, but it's going to get worked out. Love isn't going anywhere, neither is Rodgers.

But, Montana left SF, Peyton left Indy, and Brady left NE ........ :noidea:
Last edited by El Sapo on April 30th, 2021, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 30th, 2021, 11:08 am

AggiesForever wrote:As a Packer fan who is closely tied into what is going on in Green Bay, let me tell you that this was a tempest in the teapot coooked up by ESPN to try and get viewership and “clicks” for the NFL Draft coverage. IT NEVER WAS A STORY, and Packer ESPN reporter Rob Demovsky pretty much admitted that his “sources” were quite a bit less than unimpeachable.

You think everybody is just making this up? That’s a lot people in collusion to lie.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 30th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Lots of unnamed sources here, but supposedly retirement is on the table.

I doubt it happens, I don't think Jeopardy will pay him the $16 million he will owe the Packers if he gets the job instet of Ken Jennings.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/aaron-ro ... sider-says

Truthfully, Rodgers doesn't have much leverage in forcing a trade. He can't pull a Barry Sanders and just retire, and the Packers don't have to deal him this season.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 30th, 2021, 4:47 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 10:13 am

Rogers and Demovsky are not exactly pals, either. Not a lot of love lost there.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 30th, 2021, 5:15 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 4:40 pm
Lots of unnamed sources here, but supposedly retirement is on the table.

I doubt it happens, I don't think Jeopardy will pay him the $16 million he will owe the Packers if he gets the job instet of Ken Jennings.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/aaron-ro ... sider-says

Truthfully, Rodgers doesn't have much leverage in forcing a trade. He can't pull a Barry Sanders and just retire, and the Packers don't have to deal him this season.
There are quite a few people that still haven't even guest hosted Jeopardy yet but are scheduled to (including LaVar Burton who I hope gets the job). I doubt Rodgers is at the top of the list to replace Trebeck. I could be wrong though.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Turtle

Post by Turtle » April 30th, 2021, 6:17 pm

If I had three wishes.. My first wish would be for a drum set. My second wish would be for a signed picture of famous-actor LeVar Burton. My third wish.. Would be for a million wishes! ...But I'd just use them for a million signed pictures of famous-actor LeVar Burton.
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 5):
Sl7vkImakeitrainBustaMcNuttthegreendalegelfcrazywookie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 30th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Turtle wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 6:17 pm
If I had three wishes.. My first wish would be for a drum set. My second wish would be for a signed picture of famous-actor LeVar Burton. My third wish.. Would be for a million wishes! ...But I'd just use them for a million signed pictures of famous-actor LeVar Burton.
I love my drum set.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 30th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Turtle wrote:
You win best poster here.
Not just because of this post though.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Turtle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 30th, 2021, 11:10 pm

Turtle wrote:
Of course. Aaron Rodgers might throw a nice spiral, but he was never Chief Engineer of the Enterprise.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 30th, 2021, 11:46 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 11:10 pm
Turtle wrote:
Of course. Aaron Rodgers might throw a nice spiral, but he was never Chief Engineer of the Enterprise.
Or the host of the Reading Rainbow
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Turtle

Post by Turtle » May 1st, 2021, 9:12 am

Sl7vk wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:49 pm
Turtle wrote:
In the immortal words of hipsterdoofus:

"you were absolutely right to place me ahead of Aggies22 in your list of best posters"

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 1st, 2021, 7:54 pm

Turtle wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:12 am
Sl7vk wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 9:49 pm
Turtle wrote:
In the immortal words of hipsterdoofus:

"you were absolutely right to place me ahead of Aggies22 in your list of best posters"
You really do crack me up mate. I think it starts with the turtle and ends with everything else.
I owe you a high gravity IPA that I sneak into the MAV one time in 2021.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Turtle

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 1st, 2021, 8:44 pm

And the grift continues. Dude is clutching is pearls that it was leaked- when the leaks timing only hurts the packers and only helps Rodgers. McCarthy has been 100% vindicated. What a freakin drama queen.

https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin ... oRyKqpoCvA

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 1st, 2021, 10:45 pm

I bet him and Russell Wilson are back with their current teams next year. Probably Deshaun Watson too, although he has bigger issues to worry about.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggiesForever

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 3rd, 2021, 4:05 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-packers ... 55813.html

What am I missing here? The final straw for Rodgers was cutting a guy who has since played in 6 games with 1 reception for 22 yards... and has bounced from practice squad to practice squad to reserve contract.

I have never even heard of the guy- but it seems like either Rodgers is a giant diva, or the media is just making things up.

AggiesForever

Post by AggiesForever » May 5th, 2021, 12:04 pm

I think there is a lot of people reading into things that have not been said out loud, but have only been "surmised." In the only actual conversation between a media person (Mike Tirico) and Rodgers, Tirico said:
"He didn't want to talk on camera. I can tell ya, I characterize Aaron as disappointed that news has come out of this rift with the Packers. He expressed a couple of times how much he loves Green Bay, loves the fans, loves the franchise. There is a chasm between the management and the reigning NFL MVP. We're just not sure how this is going to play out. Watch closely over the next couple of weeks to see what we hear from the Packers side and when Aaron does speak."
So, in my view, this is being fed more by a bunch of talking heads and less in by Aaron Rodgers. He has said NOTHING. And until he does, its nothing but conjecture, "we heard he said and they said," that kind of stuff.

Meanwhile, Jordan Love has been told to ignore that chatter and continue his preparations to backup Rodgers this fall. I would suggest that he will probably start some, and play extended minutes in every pre-season game this fall.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 5th, 2021, 12:22 pm

AggiesForever wrote:I think there is a lot of people reading into things that have not been said out loud, but have only been "surmised." In the only actual conversation between a media person (Mike Tirico) and Rodgers, Tirico said:
"He didn't want to talk on camera. I can tell ya, I characterize Aaron as disappointed that news has come out of this rift with the Packers. He expressed a couple of times how much he loves Green Bay, loves the fans, loves the franchise. There is a chasm between the management and the reigning NFL MVP. We're just not sure how this is going to play out. Watch closely over the next couple of weeks to see what we hear from the Packers side and when Aaron does speak."
So, in my view, this is being fed more by a bunch of talking heads and less in by Aaron Rodgers. He has said NOTHING. And until he does, its nothing but conjecture, "we heard he said and they said," that kind of stuff.

Meanwhile, Jordan Love has been told to ignore that chatter and continue his preparations to backup Rodgers this fall. I would suggest that he will probably start some, and play extended minutes in every pre-season game this fall.
Plugging your ears and closing your eyes and wishing something be true/false doesn’t make it reality. Even in the interview with Tirico, he didn’t deny it he just wished it hadn’t gone public. This isn’t about talking heads either. Read quotes from Murphy, Gutenkunst and La Fleur, nobody denies it.

I mean, I love Rodgers and this sucks as a Packer fan, but we have to live in reality not fantasy land. He’s pissed and wants out. Let’s hope they can convince him to stay.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 5th, 2021, 12:58 pm

The reason this era of player's pushing teams around bothers me so much is because I'm not a fan of players. I'm a fan of teams. To use a close to home example: I was a big Rollie Worster fan last year, but now I really don't care how he does. (Obviously he didn't push anybody around...this is just an example of how I'm a fan of teams not players unless they're on my team.)

I hate these situations when a star player thinks and acts like they're bigger than the team.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
AggiePT

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 5th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Just to add to all the baseless speculation:

https://kslsports.com/458830/brett-favr ... green-bay/

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » May 6th, 2021, 7:24 am

This is really simple. You give Rodgers a contract extension with guaranteed money past 2021 or you don’t. If you give him the contact he stays, and if you don’t then he doesn’t want to come back. Now has Jordan Love showed enough promise that makes the Packers stall at giving Rodgers an extension? Maybe they want to see Love’s progression this year before guaranteeing anything with Rodgers. Why doesn’t Rodgers just go win another MVP and play with the Packers? He’s got as good a shot at a Super Bowl with Green Bay that he would anywhere else. The roster is really good.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
JSHarvey

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 6th, 2021, 9:43 am

UStateTim wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:24 am
This is really simple. You give Rodgers a contract extension with guaranteed money past 2021 or you don’t. If you give him the contact he stays, and if you don’t then he doesn’t want to come back. Now has Jordan Love showed enough promise that makes the Packers stall at giving Rodgers an extension? Maybe they want to see Love’s progression this year before guaranteeing anything with Rodgers. Why doesn’t Rodgers just go win another MVP and play with the Packers? He’s got as good a shot at a Super Bowl with Green Bay that he would anywhere else. The roster is really good.
It's hard to tell a star QB to stuff it. Try explaining that you let your star QB go somewhere else because of the economics of the cap and how paying too much for your QB means you can't win the super bowl. It's much easier to pay too much for your QB and then hope against the odds that you might be one of the very, very few teams to win a super bowl while overpaying your QB.
But the reality is that as long as Rodgers' contract is hitting the cap more than 20 mil in value, Green Bay (or any other team Rodgers plays for) has little chance of winning the super bowl.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 6th, 2021, 12:23 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:43 am
UStateTim wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:24 am
It's hard to tell a star QB to stuff it. Try explaining that you let your star QB go somewhere else because of the economics of the cap and how paying too much for your QB means you can't win the super bowl. It's much easier to pay too much for your QB and then hope against the odds that you might be one of the very, very few teams to win a super bowl while overpaying your QB.
But the reality is that as long as Rodgers' contract is hitting the cap more than 20 mil in value, Green Bay (or any other team Rodgers plays for) has little chance of winning the super bowl.
It's great entertainment. The mediots are saying this isn't about money. I really think it is. But people reportedly close to Rodgers say he's serious about not playing for the Pack anymore. Silver and King on NFL network both agreed that Rodgers isn't just negotiating. They also pointed out why this is a bigger problem for the Pack than it would be for other teams. Every team but the Pack has an owner who can step in and over rule the coach or the GM and fix problems like this. The guy making the decision for the Pack isn't the owner and he isn't likely to be replaced to soothe Rodgers feelings. Which leads to the current standoff.

AggiesForever

Post by AggiesForever » May 6th, 2021, 1:29 pm

I think in the end the Packers and Rodgers will reach a contractual "impasse" that will give Rodgers a little more of what he wants. Additionally, golfing buddy and former Packers fullback John Kuhn has piped up and said he has spoken with Rodgers and this is what is happening:
"If I used my gut and I used everything that I hear from the Packers organization, it makes me feel really, really good," Kuhn said. "If I used the football business acumen and see the tough spot that the Packers are in right now with that first-round pick that they used last year on Jordan Love, that's what makes me pull back a little bit. I still think it's somewhere around 70, 75% that Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Packers this year."

Kuhn said he does not believe the report that said Rodgers would not return if Brian Gutekunst remained as general manager.

"I really don't think Aaron is that cynical of a person, no matter what differences they have," Kuhn said. "He's proven to the Packers brass that just because he has differences with the head coach or a general manager, it doesn't necessarily affect his play and his professionalism. I can't see that being a direct quote from Aaron Rodgers.

"I still believe there's an opportunity at a resolution here. I just think it's going to take two men that are dug in right now and try to meet in the middle somewhere they're both happy."
This is more likely than any other scenario.

As for Jordan Love, just because the typical NFL team plays their high priced 1st Round draft pick right out of the chute, doesn't mean Green Bay has to play Jordan Love right away. The pandemic messed him up this year, not providing any of the normal off-season on-site training that Love could've gotten in a normal year, along with essentially no usual pre-season. So the Packers went with the hand they had on hand (Rodgers and the back-up, Tim Boyle). This year, Love is the back-up, and the Packers are looking for a veteran QB, like Matt Moore, to come and be there as a fall back if Love isn't ready. But Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for three years before he got to play, and then the Packers went 6-10 in his first year. So its not like Love has to go win the Super Bowl if Rodgers sits out.

And believe me, Rodgers sitting out would be a more likely option than the Packers trading him. Green Bay is a community owned team, in a community populated with a lot of people of German, Danish, Swedish, and other northern European peoples, they are just hard-headed enough to say, "screw you-- you don't want to play for us? Then sit." But I don't think it will come to that. Calmer heads will prevail, Brian Gutekunst, the Packers GM, will fall on his sword, say it was all his fault for not communicating, and they will work out some kind of financial incentive that will fix Rodgers feel goods.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
El SapoNavyBlueAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic