Potential recruits from Florida and vegas

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Potential recruits from Florida and vegas

Post by slcagg » April 24th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Talking here. Hopefully they both commit soon. Seriously this staff has been awesome!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Potential recruits from Florida and vegas

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2021, 9:34 pm

I will be SHOCKED if we don't land both kids. They are a couple of our top targets.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiSlim80slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 25th, 2021, 10:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 9:34 pm
I will be SHOCKED if we don't land both kids. They are a couple of our top targets.
Seems like we have some highly rated targets. The Wright kid has a open offer from Louisville as an option.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » April 26th, 2021, 10:11 am

Are they both guys that Banda has been recruiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 26th, 2021, 11:08 am

breadysmith wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 10:11 am
Are they both guys that Banda has been recruiting?

YES!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 26th, 2021, 12:43 pm

Banda is living up to the hype as a great recruiter. Hope he is at USU at least for a few years. He has "Head Coach material" written all over him.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 26th, 2021, 1:08 pm

My gut hunch is that he’ll only be here 2ish years and then leave for a big time DC or smaller HC gig somewhere.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 26th, 2021, 1:40 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 1:08 pm
My gut hunch is that he’ll only be here 2ish years and then leave for a big time DC or smaller HC gig somewhere.
I would love for one of those scenarios to happen. If one those happen we would have been successful on defense and highly likely that we were overall successful in the win/loss column.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 27th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Not trying to poke the bear here or kill the positive vibes, but ranking-wise, how are the guys we are getting to commit any different quality-wise than the ones we’ve signed previously? It’s not as if we are pulling in 4-star guys or 85+ rated 3-star guys. I don’t get it. What are we so excited about?

The way 247sports.com does the conference rankings is really stupid, as the teams with the most scholarships usually end up highest in the rankings, because sheer numbers of commits give you more "points" and push you up the rankings. The only way of really doing rankings that mean anything is taking the average rating of players signed. If you do that, the average rating of the recruits in our last place recruiting class from last year is actually a point higher than this year’s class so far, and the 2020 class is about the same.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... l/Commits/

I like all the positive vibes and the outreach (although I could do without the bible camp vibe that sometimes crops up), I just don't see how the actual recruiting returns are any better than in recent years past so far.

I want to see the coaches win some games and reel in a whale in recruiting before I anoint them anything.

Please tell me how wrong I am about this. :joking: But be gentle. I'm not really trying to be controversial, I am just not getting the somewhat over the top enthusiasm I see around here (though I appreciate it).
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 27th, 2021, 8:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Not trying to poke the bear here or kill the positive vibes, but ranking-wise, how are the guys we are getting to commit any different quality-wise than the ones we’ve signed previously? It’s not as if we are pulling in 4-star guys or 85+ rated 3-star guys. I don’t get it. What are we so excited about?

The way 247sports.com does the conference rankings is really stupid, as the teams with the most scholarships usually end up highest in the rankings, because sheer numbers of commits give you more "points" and push you up the rankings. The only way of really doing rankings that mean anything is taking the average rating of players signed. If you do that, the average rating of the recruits in our last place recruiting class from last year is actually a point higher than this year’s class so far, and the 2020 class is about the same.

I like all the positive vibes and the outreach (although I could do without the bible camp vibe that sometimes crops up), I just don't see how the actual recruiting returns are any better than in recent years past so far.

I want to see the coaches win some games and reel in a whale in recruiting before I anoint them anything.

Please tell me how wrong I am about this. :joking: But be gentle. I'm not really trying to be controversial, I am just not getting the somewhat over the top enthusiasm I see around here (though I appreciate it).
I think for me it is just the direction I feel the team is going. I know the recruiting rankings are not showing the aggies as being contenders, but I think we brought in some great pieces. Brought in a really good G5 transfer (Rice), but also some highly rated high school recruits that did not get the playing time at P5 schools so they left. I think from a speed perspective we are in better shape. In addition I think the vide with the team is 180 degrees from last year. Who knows if it will translate to the field, but I believe we will be improved, but will probably take 2 years to get it turned around completely.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 27th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 8:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I think for me it is just the direction I feel the team is going. I know the recruiting rankings are not showing the aggies as being contenders, but I think we brought in some great pieces. Brought in a really good G5 transfer (Rice), but also some highly rated high school recruits that did not get the playing time at P5 schools so they left. I think from a speed perspective we are in better shape. In addition I think the vide with the team is 180 degrees from last year. Who knows if it will translate to the field, but I believe we will be improved, but will probably take 2 years to get it turned around completely.
Totally agree on the improved vibe. That is unquestionable.

But Banda gets bandied about as some sort of recruiting god, and it’s not like we’ve seen an appreciable difference in the quality of recruit yet, at least on paper. I hope that changes!

Maybe the guys we are recruiting will be better on the field even if ratings are the same.

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » April 27th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Recruiting on the tail of the 2019 season with what had the appearance of a stable team would have been arguably easier than recruiting after 2020 — what may be the worst season in two decades, not counting the coaching staff overhaul, the changes to the portal and transfer rules, and the availably of high school film and recent performance data. All that considered, I’m impressed with the recruits that are coming in.

It would, however, be wonderful to see us rank among the top quarter of the MWC in the future with no need to devalue the shortcomings of the recruiting rankings, etc. As we like to say around here, “JFR,” or is it “JFW?”

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2021, 10:09 am

Coming soon........
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
USU783rdGenAggieBLUERUFiOslcagg

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 28th, 2021, 10:11 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 10:09 am
Coming soon........
Another tease??? Oh, man. This is tough.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 28th, 2021, 10:17 am

I for one am thrilled with what Anderson/Banda/Tucker et al have done with recruiting so far.
Part of the job is getting the athletes, but an equally important part of the job is creating pub/buzz/enthusiasm around the program.
That part of the job felt neglected well beyond the Andersen years. I think Wells stunk at that as well.
It's not rocket science, but it makes a huge difference.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 28th, 2021, 10:18 am

aggies22 wrote:
Coming soon........
Oh man you making people go crazy on both basketball and football boards right now. Heck you even made @SLB dream about point guards last night.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieArmy

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 28th, 2021, 10:31 am

slcagg wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 10:18 am
aggies22 wrote:
Coming soon........
Oh man you making people go crazy on both basketball and football boards right now. Heck you even made @SLB dream about point guards last night.

Probably a good player, but beating out NAU doesn’t get my heart rate up!
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 28th, 2021, 10:38 am

I don't know if he had an offer yet, but he was being recruited by Nevada, Army, Akron and Colorado as well.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2021, 10:40 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 10:31 am
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Coming soon........

Make no mistake, several PAC-12 schools have been on him. He will have a HUGE 2021 season. He is the 88th best safety in the COUNTRY. Anytime we can land a top 100 player at his position is a big time deal!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggiePT

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 28th, 2021, 10:42 am

Seems like a good pick up. It is nice to get in early on these guys. It looks the teams recruiting him were picking up steam.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 28th, 2021, 10:44 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

It’s probably difficult to grade recruits when you see them for the first time at the Blue-White game, but I was encouraged with what I saw. Attitude has been mentioned, and it certainly was palpable. The defense was very excited through the whole game. Rice is totally legitimate. Should be an NFL guy. The O Line started slow, and then got better and better. LB’s were impressive to me. Some of the better recruits were either not in town yet, or nursing minor injuries. There is a fine line sometimes, between a 3* and a 4*. Heck, we have had 2* rated players who have not been good, but great Aggie players (does Wagner ring a bell?)
I guess what I am saying is that the best recruiter’s see potential in a recruit and then develop that 2* athlete into an NFL draft pick. Andersen 1.00 did it. I really think the new Anderson has the staff to give us a lot of Wagner’s, and Vigils, and K. Williams, and all of the other guys that have played in the NFL and CFL in the last dozen years.

I, personally, am pretty excited.
Last edited by mcaggie1 on April 28th, 2021, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 28th, 2021, 11:10 am

Bring in cover guys :cheers: A defense needs to rush the QB and cover the WR's. "It's a rush and cover league" Al Davis.

In both those groups when we struggled, you see the results. GA focused more on LB's :nono: even though we had some great ones, that strategy is not going to get us competitive with Boise.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 28th, 2021, 11:12 am

slcagg wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 4:22 pm
Talking here. Hopefully they both commit soon. Seriously this staff has been awesome!

How do these 2 know each other? Very happy to see 1 of them commit.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 28th, 2021, 11:31 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 11:12 am
slcagg wrote:

I’m guessing here, but would expect the coaches/recruiting staff are trying to link these recruits together.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2021, 11:34 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 11:12 am
slcagg wrote:

Other than both of them being top targets this offseason, they do not know each other. It's exciting to see guys recruiting each other. It is HUGE and will become contagious.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » April 28th, 2021, 12:27 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Coming soon........

I think by now we've all learned it's not always the offers they've received, or the stars next to their name that makes a difference.

Some of these schools have to offer anyone they can, hoping to snag someone.

Just like if a potential recruit had been offered by Utah State and Alabama started looking at them. Would Alabama fans think it's a bust because some other school (lowly USU) had offered?

I'm excited just from the energy and excitement that has been instilled to a program that didn't even show up for their last game of the season.

Coach Anderson and his staff seem to be making the right steps, and I'm looking forward to seeing in person how it shakes out during games!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyaggies22

SlumJum

Post by SlumJum » April 28th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Maybe this is that other recruit?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 28th, 2021, 7:21 pm

SlumJum wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 7:18 pm

That’s what I’m wondering!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 28th, 2021, 7:35 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 7:21 pm
SlumJum wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 7:18 pm

That’s what I’m wondering!
Not going to lie, even as an old dude, when the coaches start posting these on Twitter, I get excited a hell.

Go Aggies!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 28th, 2021, 7:49 pm

SlumJum wrote:

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 28th, 2021, 8:00 pm

DB or WR?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » April 28th, 2021, 8:03 pm

DB according to his Twitter profile.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 28th, 2021, 8:13 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 8:03 pm
DB according to his Twitter profile.

Dank'schoen

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SlumJum

Post by SlumJum » April 28th, 2021, 9:10 pm

I might be reading into the 3 cups of ☕ here... But did we get another?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 28th, 2021, 10:05 pm

SlumJum wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 9:10 pm

I might be reading into the 3 cups of ☕ here... But did we get another?
Maybe it’s a cup of coffee for the 3 guys he is tweeting at? Since none of the other coaches are tweeting I don’t think there is a third. That would have been great though!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
SlumJum

Locked Previous topicNext topic