We still might have to cheer for Utah sometimes

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

We still might have to cheer for Utah sometimes

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2021, 9:02 am

There are some scenarios where we would have to cheer for Utah. Like if they do poorly enough that they would be a bad loss for another PAC 12 school we are in competition with on the bubble. Or if they do good enough that they are safely in the tournament where another PAC 12 school is in competition with us on the bubble, and we don't want someone like Cal to get one more quality win moving ahead of us on the bubble. Or if Utah gets to the PAC 12 Tournament Championship game, having a good enough regular season to be in the dance win or lose, while their opponent's ONLY way to get a bid is winning the championship game. The second scenario actually happened during one of the BYU Jimmer years forcing us to cheer for BYU over New Mexico in their conference tournament.

The easiest ways for us to not have to worry about cheering for Utah is having a down enough year that we are well out of the bubble talk, or MUCH MUCH BETTER, having enough quality wins and few enough bad losses that we are safely in and don't have to worry about the bubble. But being on the bubble could very well force us to cheer for Utah! Of course, if Utah does good enough to be on the bubble, but NOT good enough to be in and off the bubble, We then can cheer against them.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
gomretat

Stewie Griffin

Re: We still might have to cheer for Utah sometimes

Post by Stewie Griffin » April 18th, 2021, 9:16 am

Never! Never! Never!
Never Have and never will.
These users thanked the author Stewie Griffin for the post (total 3):
USU78mcaggie1AggieFBObsession

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 18th, 2021, 10:45 am

Rule 0. Always root for USU. Never root for their opponents.
Rule 1. Never root for the Stench. Always root for their opponents.
Rule 2. Never root for the Pukes. See, however, Rule 1.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 6):
hipsterdoofus21Aggie formerly in HawaiiMadmartiganReal Life AggieBLUERUFiOJSHarvey

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2021, 10:50 am

USU78 you may as well chisel those into stone tablets
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 5):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiUSU78Real Life Aggiemcaggie1AggieFBObsession

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2021, 10:53 am

USU78 wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 10:45 am
But the higher priority is we want what is best for USU. In the scenario that, say, Cal finished 9th in the PAC 12 regular season, and Utah wins the PAC 12 regular season and safely in position for an at-large bid, and then Cal pulls off a few upsets in the PAC 12 Tournament to set up a championship game against Utah, AND we are a bubble team as well, Utah winning is in our best interest for the sake of one less bid getting stolen, so we would have to cheer for Utah. Likewise, if say Stanford finishes 3rd in the PAC 12, and their resume is as such that they are in competition with us on the bubble, while Utah is 6th with enough OOC losses that they are NOT going to the NCAAs, We cheer for Utah if it's in our best interest Stanford suffers a bad loss knocking them out.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 18th, 2021, 10:56 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 10:53 am
USU78 wrote:
But the higher priority is we want what is best for USU. In the scenario that, say, Cal finished 9th in the PAC 12 regular season, and Utah wins the PAC 12 regular season and safely in position for an at-large bid, and then Cal pulls off a few upsets in the PAC 12 Tournament to set up a championship game against Utah, AND we are a bubble team as well, Utah winning is in our best interest for the sake of one less bid getting stolen, so we would have to cheer for Utah. Likewise, if say Stanford finishes 3rd in the PAC 12, and their resume is as such that they are in competition with us on the bubble, while Utah is 6th with enough OOC losses that they are NOT going to the NCAAs, We cheer for Utah if it's in our best interest Stanford suffers a bad loss knocking them out.
Can't do it. Wouldn't be prudent ... at this juncture ... or any other.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 10:57 am

Nope, you never cheer or wish any success for the enemy. I'd say I want them to lose every game by 50, but 50 isn't big enough.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionhipsterdoofus21

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 18th, 2021, 10:58 am

USU78 wrote:
It's a big brain move to cheer against both teams when they play each other and to pray for a 0-0 quadruple overtime draw that ends in forfeit because the game extends to early Sunday morning and thus causes church leadership to finally pull the plug on zoobie athletics. And then for some reason the other having such serious allegations that they get the death penalty for athletics. With the influx of fans to Weber State, they get promoted to the MW and a new rivalry is born. Both teams are invited to the PAC24 in the next round of realignment. Jim Laub put millions into Dogecoin years ago, sells out, and donates even more money to the athletics department. We build a 110,000 person stadium and fill it every game because we're a big deal now. We don't have room for 3 star recruits anymore because we only have 4-5 stars on our roster. We win 7 national championships in the next 10 years.

:utah: :state:
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
USU78crazywookie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2021, 11:01 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 10:57 am
Nope, you never cheer or wish any success for the enemy. I'd say I want them to lose every game by 50, but 50 isn't big enough.
In years that we are a bubble team, the other bubble teams are the enemy moreso than Utah or BYU, unless Utah or BYU are also bubble teams.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
gomretat

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2021, 11:07 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 11:01 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 10:57 am
In years that we are a bubble team, the other bubble teams are the enemy moreso than Utah or BYU, unless Utah or BYU are also bubble teams.
This reminds me of a guy I met who was trying to argue there are certain situations it is ok to hit a woman. "What if she is charging you with a knife?" "What if she is smacking you and won't stop?"

Sorry, I just don't worry about stuff like that and have decided I'm never going to hit a woman. Just as I have decided I will never root or wish any success on the enemies in slc or provo.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 5):
USU78aggiesdotcomAggie19aggieguy13hipsterdoofus21

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 18th, 2021, 12:38 pm

USU78 wrote:
Your wisdom is impressive. These are three great
Commandments of Aggie fandom.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 5):
USU78AggieFBObsessionAggie formerly in Hawaiiaggieguy13hipsterdoofus21

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » April 18th, 2021, 2:00 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Who in the heck cares about a hypothetical scenario? I will never root for them or BYU, it’s as easy as that.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2021, 2:02 pm

The REAL rules — root for USU and hope for whatever outcome in other matchups benefits USU.

If USU is in the hunt for an at-large, has a win over BYU, and a BYU win over Gonzaga would help USU’s NET ranking, you better believe I hope they win.

I don’t like BYU or Utah, but I don’t ever let that get in the way of wanting what’s best for USU.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 19th, 2021, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOgomretat

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 18th, 2021, 2:11 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Never. Never. Never.
Never have never will. ( I quote a great Aggie)
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » April 18th, 2021, 3:16 pm

I will root for Utah if it helps...I am a giver..

Chatman

Post by Chatman » April 18th, 2021, 3:23 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
I just don’t watch their games. Then I don’t have to worry about who to cheer for.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » April 18th, 2021, 3:54 pm

once again GFA wins the most random odd post of the day

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Chatman wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 3:23 pm
I just don’t watch their games. Then I don’t have to worry about who to cheer for.
But part of being on the bubble means watching the bubble.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 18th, 2021, 5:15 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 9:02 am
There are some scenarios where we would have to cheer for Utah. Like if they do poorly enough that they would be a bad loss for another PAC 12 school we are in competition with on the bubble. Or if they do good enough that they are safely in the tournament where another PAC 12 school is in competition with us on the bubble, and we don't want someone like Cal to get one more quality win moving ahead of us on the bubble. Or if Utah gets to the PAC 12 Tournament Championship game, having a good enough regular season to be in the dance win or lose, while their opponent's ONLY way to get a bid is winning the championship game. The second scenario actually happened during one of the BYU Jimmer years forcing us to cheer for BYU over New Mexico in their conference tournament.

The easiest ways for us to not have to worry about cheering for Utah is having a down enough year that we are well out of the bubble talk, or MUCH MUCH BETTER, having enough quality wins and few enough bad losses that we are safely in and don't have to worry about the bubble. But being on the bubble could very well force us to cheer for Utah! Of course, if Utah does good enough to be on the bubble, but NOT good enough to be in and off the bubble, We then can cheer against them.
You know you're my guy but NO. Never.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm

This goes way far back. In 1907, only 9 years after UAC (Utah Agriculture College) was formed, the University of Utah feared that the UAC would do harm to their growth, and hurt their growth and standing in the state. They had SLC based legislators of the state of Utah close down every college at UAC except Agriculture, Domestic arts, and mechanical arts. Education, Arts, music, sciences, etc, were all closed....thanks to the U of U, who have spent their time and energy since 1907; in putting us down, and impede our progress in any way they can, especially in athletics.

It’s a long and disgusting history, what they have done to us. I wouldn’t cheer for them in any way shape or form, or for any reason. They are just plain evil.

AttackPunt

Post by AttackPunt » April 18th, 2021, 10:23 pm

How dirty the u has been with us the past 10 years, I will NEVER root for the u. I can’t stand the y, but the u has surpassed my hatred for the u.

Formerly known as AggieMcFly

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 18th, 2021, 10:31 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:02 pm
The REAL rules — root for USU and whatever outcome in other matchups benefits USU.

If USU is in the hunt for an at-large, has a win over BYU, and a BYU win over Gonzaga would help USU’s NET ranking, you better believe I hope they win.

I don’t like BYU or Utah, but I don’t ever let that get in the way of advocating what’s best for USU.
Yeah, I’m with you on this one. It feels dirty, but, it’s the only way.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 18th, 2021, 10:37 pm

Well, alot of you hate the idea of the scenario we have to cheer for Utah, but the easy ways we can avoid are to either win enough to be safely in the tournament off the bubble, or lose enough to not even be on the bubble. And, it's easier choice if Utah is a bubble team themselves, then cheer against them!

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » April 18th, 2021, 11:55 pm

These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieUSU78crazywookie

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » April 19th, 2021, 12:09 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:

After Utah stopped playing USU my favorite team of course is USU and my second favorite team is whoever is playing the pukes. Go Aggies and Utes opponent!
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
USU78

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 19th, 2021, 8:51 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:

This wont help your cause GFA but I am with you on this one. You always cheer for what is best for the Aggies. Makes no sense to me to let my dislike for another team want something that makes it worse for my own team. The higher law is always what is better for USU. Go Aggies.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 20th, 2021, 11:58 am

Nope. The rules are applied in this order:

1. Root for the Aggies.
2. Root against BYU no matter the opponent
3. Root against Utah, unless it would result in a violation of Rule 2.
4. Root against Boise State, unless it would result in a violation of rules 2 or 3.
5. Root for whatever outcome helps USU, unless it would result in a violation of rules 2, 3, or 4.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Postiez

Post by Postiez » April 20th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Uh, hey guys. Just stopping by hoping you are doing okay...

:shock:
These users thanked the author Postiez for the post (total 2):
Agliciouscrazywookie

Utes Fan
USU Supporter

Lurkin'

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 20th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 11:58 am
Nope. The rules are applied in this order:

1. Root for the Aggies.
2. Root against BYU no matter the opponent
3. Root against Utah, unless it would result in a violation of Rule 2.
4. Root against Boise State, unless it would result in a violation of rules 2 or 3.
5. Root for whatever outcome helps USU, unless it would result in a violation of rules 2, 3, or 4.
Now we're ready for the tablets.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 20th, 2021, 3:09 pm

Postiez wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 3:04 pm

We aren't in the darkest timeline yet... We still have Justin Bean.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 20th, 2021, 3:36 pm

Postiez wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 3:04 pm

:lol: The shock is wearing off. We're past the mourning. Some still in anger stage. Most just mesmerized by the pretty flames that Mr. Smith left in his wake. :bananafire:

Locked Previous topicNext topic