No search firm used when hiring new coach.

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Full

No search firm used when hiring new coach.

Post by Full » April 7th, 2021, 11:45 am

I thought this was interesting, and wonder if this means Mr. Hartwell will only be interested in a select few openings that may come up. I assume (possibly incorrectly) there is an incentive for an AD to use a firm if they are thinking of moving on. Even if it’s just getting a resume in front of decision makers. I could be mistaken, but I believe Scott Barnes used the same search firm for hiring Duryea that was used by Pitt To fill their AD position.

I’m glad he has enough connections that he can conduct a search without involving a firm. I think those connections mean more than quid pro quo of using a search firm, but I do think there is still some incentive to use a search firm when looking for the next opportunity.

Yossarian

Re: No search firm used when hiring new coach.

Post by Yossarian » April 7th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Full wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 11:45 am
I thought this was interesting, and wonder if this means Mr. Hartwell will only be interested in a select few openings that may come up. I assume (possibly incorrectly) there is an incentive for an AD to use a firm if they are thinking of moving on. Even if it’s just getting a resume in front of decision makers. I could be mistaken, but I believe Scott Barnes used the same search firm for hiring Duryea that was used by Pitt To fill their AD position.

I’m glad he has enough connections that he can conduct a search without involving a firm. I think those connections mean more than quid pro quo of using a search firm, but I do think there is still some incentive to use a search firm when looking for the next opportunity.
I get the impression that the list of people reaching out to him for the job was sufficient and impressive enough that he didn't have to hire a firm to go find people.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Eutaw St. Aggie

bpd

Post by bpd » April 7th, 2021, 12:39 pm

I get the impression that search firms move slower and USU doesn't have any money.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttBLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 7th, 2021, 1:15 pm

Interesting. When we first hired Odom, I thought for sure a search firm was used, but it sounds like he has a lot of Utah connections and wanted to be out here. Great hire.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BLUERUFiO

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 7th, 2021, 10:45 pm

You have to wonder if maybe he doesn't want to apply for bigger jobs and have to explain the incident last December we don't want to revisit, and would rather wait to apply for jobs after at least a year removed from that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic