The irony of next season

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

The irony of next season

Post by SLB » March 19th, 2021, 11:01 pm

The strength of the team will be guard play.

FL350Aggie

Re: The irony of next season

Post by FL350Aggie » March 20th, 2021, 10:34 am

With a full year of workouts for Rollie, Shulga, and Ashworth Im cautiously optimistic.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 20th, 2021, 11:16 am

Should be interesting. Worster, Ashworth, Shulga should all have big improvements.

Maybe we finally see McChesney and see what we have with him. If he is close to what’s been reported he could be a real weapon at 6’10”. How’s his defense though being so skinny? Can he get some weight on him?

What about Zapala? I know some didn’t think much about what they saw from him but I saw coordination and some decent post moves. He didn’t know the system and looked lost but that had nothing to do with skill level. He’ll learn the system.

We’ll also have Dorious playing minutes in the post but I don’t see a lot of production coming from that but maybe defense if he gets more comfortable in the system and know his assignments better.

We’ll still have Worster, Anthony, Bean and Miller as the veterans anchoring the team. Assuming Queta, Anderson, Bairstow, Kuba, zahar are all gone, we have:

Worster, Ashworth, Anthony
Anthony, Worster, Shulga
Miller, Anthony, Shulga, McChesney
Bean, McChesney
Dorious, Zapala

So do we have 5-6 scholarships available? I would like to see:
- a good athletic PG come in that can create his own shot and hit from 3
- a good PF 6’7”-6’8” that can post up and defend
- a center that could start right away - Queta sequel would be great haha
- a SF 6’6”-6’7” that can shoot and drive, slasher type.

What else do we need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » March 20th, 2021, 11:40 am

scotlandog wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 11:16 am
Should be interesting. Worster, Ashworth, Shulga should all have big improvements.

Maybe we finally see McChesney and see what we have with him. If he is close to what’s been reported he could be a real weapon at 6’10”. How’s his defense though being so skinny? Can he get some weight on him?

What about Zapala? I know some didn’t think much about what they saw from him but I saw coordination and some decent post moves. He didn’t know the system and looked lost but that had nothing to do with skill level. He’ll learn the system.

We’ll also have Dorious playing minutes in the post but I don’t see a lot of production coming from that but maybe defense if he gets more comfortable in the system and know his assignments better.

We’ll still have Worster, Anthony, Bean and Miller as the veterans anchoring the team. Assuming Queta, Anderson, Bairstow, Kuba, zahar are all gone, we have:

Anthony, Worster, Shulga
Bean, McChesney
Dorious, Zapala

What else do we need?

Don't forget about Potter

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm

I did forget about Potter. They say he can play the 2-5 positions but mostly 3-4 and that he can shoot from the outside. If he can transition quickly that would be great but I haven’t seen many guys come back from missions ready to play at top speed. We’ll see.

afausu

Post by afausu » March 20th, 2021, 12:27 pm

All the new guys can shoot until they get on campus, then by some cosmic force none of them can. Such a strange thing the way that happens.
These users thanked the author afausu for the post (total 2):
utaggiessam tingey

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 20th, 2021, 12:29 pm

I’m hopeful for McChesney/Zapala/Shulga, but during the games they could have gotten minutes, apparently they didn’t earn much. I believe they will take a step forward, but will it be enough to compensate for those we lose..... I have my doubts. I hope we can sign some immediate contributors (transfers or JC), otherwise I expect a notable drop off, assuming Queta is gone. It seems unlikely that we could lose the best big man we’ve ever had, conference DPOY, conference POY (media), described as a game changer by opposing coaches, an NBA prospect, school record holder, the player we ran our offense through, the player that commanded double/triple teams to open things up for others, etc. and expect that our existing roster will compensate enough in other ways to hold par or improve. I hope the returning players are super hungry and work their tails off during the off-season. I hope Smith and staff can land 1-2 recruits that are significant difference makers. Bean/Anthony/Worster are nice pieces, but we need a lot more if we want to get in “The Tourney” and win.
Last edited by Pacobag on March 20th, 2021, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 20th, 2021, 1:04 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm
I did forget about Potter. They say he can play the 2-5 positions but mostly 3-4 and that he can shoot from the outside. If he can transition quickly that would be great but I haven’t seen many guys come back from missions ready to play at top speed. We’ll see.

I believe that Potter would play the Fonzo position, but Potter would play more 5 and less 3. Potter was listed 6'8" 230 in high school, and Potter should be bigger now.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 20th, 2021, 1:27 pm

I am excited to see the improvement of bean next year. Would you consider him one of the top returners in the league? Assuming the seniors and queta are gone.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AggiesForever

SLB

Post by SLB » March 20th, 2021, 1:31 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 1:27 pm
I am excited to see the improvement of bean next year. Would you consider him one of the top returners in the league? Assuming the seniors and queta are gone.
Brock Miller is another player that we should be excited because he improved so much. How much better will Miller be next season?

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 20th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Bean's numbers will go up just with the absence of Queta. More rebounds and putbacks I would think. I know mid range jumpers are not in vogue, but I would like to see a few sets to free him on 12-15 foot shots. It's been a higher % shot than our guards going to the hoop. Skill wise perhaps he's peaked, but I'd wouldn't mind seeing them put to use more.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
AggiesForever

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm

SLB wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 1:31 pm
slcagg wrote:
Brock Miller is another player that we should be excited because he improved so much. How much better will Miller be next season?
:lol:
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AggiesForever

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Miller should be coming off the bench. I’d play Shulga or Bairstow over him just because I think they are more well rounded players.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 20th, 2021, 2:26 pm

brian5562 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm
Miller should be coming off the bench. I’d play Shulga or Bairstow over him just because I think they are more well rounded players.
I like this a lot. It would give a strong lift off the bench.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 20th, 2021, 2:29 pm

I said this over and over on Twitter yesterday, but what the Aggies need they don't have, at least from the players currently playing. If we want to win this league and actually win a game in the tournament, we need a 2-3 who can handle the ball, and create and HIT his own unguarded shot. Everybody we have right now is dependent on a pass, or a screen or something else to get their shot off. We need a guy who can handle the ball well enough to create a shot and, if he's open, hit it at least half of the time. We have nobody on this team that fits that description.

The other things we need are inside men who can finish at the basket. In every game we leave 8-10 points at the hoop because we couldn't finish the shot. If we made all of the effort to get there, why not just a little more and finish it off? I know, easier said than done, but just the same how many shots from less than 5 feet out did we miss this year?

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:09 pm
SLB wrote:
slcagg wrote:
:lol:
Seriously, Miller is good at making open 3 pointers. Not much else. We need ball players.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm

I'm sorry but the Brock Miller you see is the Brock Miller you have. I can't see him getting any better. He's a 35% 3 point shooter who doesn't rebound, plays average defense, and cannot create his own shot off of the dribble. I wish I could say, "Yes, Brock is going to shoot 40+ percent from 3 all year long, play lock down defense, and score 15 points a game night in and out." Its just not going to happen. Sorry if that offends anybody, but I've been watching him for 3 years. He is what he is. A few games he's red hot, but most of the time he's not.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieAggieFBObsession

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 20th, 2021, 3:38 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm sorry but the Brock Miller you see is the Brock Miller you have. I can't see him getting any better. He's a 35% 3 point shooter who doesn't rebound, plays average defense, and cannot create his own shot off of the dribble. I wish I could say, "Yes, Brock is going to shoot 40+ percent from 3 all year long, play lock down defense, and score 15 points a game night in and out." Its just not going to happen. Sorry if that offends anybody, but I've been watching him for 3 years. He is what he is. A few games he's red hot, but most of the time he's not.
100% agree, he's a career 34% three-point shooter who makes few here and there mostly when it doesn't matter. I give coach Smith a ton of credit in that he's been able somehow to convince many dumber coaches into believing they should worry about him. In those games, Qutea feasted!

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 20th, 2021, 3:45 pm

scotlandog wrote:

Anthony, Worster, Shulga
Bean, McChesney
Dorious, Zapala

What else do we need?

This may be considered more of a “want” than a need, but a stretch big would be really nice. Really anybody who can shoot the three ball would be nice lol.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 20th, 2021, 4:08 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:45 pm
scotlandog wrote:

Anthony, Worster, Shulga
Bean, McChesney
Dorious, Zapala

What else do we need?

This may be considered more of a “want” than a need, but a stretch big would be really nice. Really anybody who can shoot the three ball would be nice lol.
Like the bearded dude from Eastern Washington that just put up 35 on Kansas?

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 20th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Yossarian wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:45 pm
scotlandog wrote:

Anthony, Worster, Shulga
Bean, McChesney
Dorious, Zapala

What else do we need?

Like the bearded dude from Eastern Washington that just put up 35 on Kansas?
I think Liam could develop into that guy assuming he can ever get past the injury bug.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 20th, 2021, 8:44 pm

34% on 3’s is just over 50% on 2’s

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » March 21st, 2021, 9:35 pm

SLB wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I hope Miller comes off the bench....if you think he is a starter on a team that wants to be "great" , then we have issues my friend. His inconsistency proves he is not a good player, he is a streaky player, and that is not talent.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 22nd, 2021, 6:51 am

If we had even just had Brian Green for the Tech game we win. Can you imagine Brian having as many wide open threes as Brock had?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 22nd, 2021, 7:54 am

sammyhagar wrote:
SLB wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I hope Miller comes off the bench....if you think he is a starter on a team that wants to be "great" , then we have issues my friend. His inconsistency proves he is not a good player, he is a streaky player, and that is not talent.
I think this is spot on. As a role player coming off the bench, Miller would b e extremely valuable.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 22nd, 2021, 10:09 am

scotlandog wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm

JC Carroll is the only one that I remember that came back from his mission, and was at full speed.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2021, 10:15 am

sammyhagar wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 9:35 pm
SLB wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Brock Miller has been a touchy subject on this board because he has gotten an overdose of hate by some, so sometimes I want to avoid piling on, but this is true. He would be great coming off the bench in spurts, but for us to be great, his role should be reduced. He has the green light of a star who is an elite shooter and that just isn't what he is.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » March 22nd, 2021, 11:00 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 1:40 pm
Bean's numbers will go up just with the absence of Queta. More rebounds and putbacks I would think. I know mid range jumpers are not in vogue, but I would like to see a few sets to free him on 12-15 foot shots. It's been a higher % shot than our guards going to the hoop. Skill wise perhaps he's peaked, but I'd wouldn't mind seeing them put to use more.
We're going to go counter to the shift in analytics-driven basketball... everyone else is going to 3's or dunks to maximize efficiency. Our sneaky Aggies are going straight 70s with a bunch of guys who can't shoot outside and lack athleticism to finish inside but man will they be able to shoot a mid-range jumper at a 45% clip! :sarcasm:

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 22nd, 2021, 11:15 am

Where did I say that we needed to go straight 70's? A FEW sets is not basing our whole offense around it. At times during one of our patented scoring droughts, I would welcome 2 pts anyway we can get them.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 22nd, 2021, 12:15 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 6:51 am
If we had even just had Brian Green for the Tech game we win. Can you imagine Brian having as many wide open threes as Brock had?
I was thinking about this yesterday. Can you imagine BG coming in and dropping 3s off of the screen? Great times.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 22nd, 2021, 12:35 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:38 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm
100% agree, he's a career 34% three-point shooter who makes few here and there mostly when it doesn't matter. I give coach Smith a ton of credit in that he's been able somehow to convince many dumber coaches into believing they should worry about him. In those games, Qutea feasted!
This is pretty insane. Brock has currently taken the 6th most 3-point attempts in USU history! If he returns for even one more season he will pass Reid Newey and Jay Goodman and be in 4th place behind only Carroll, Merrill, and T. Brown. It may not seem that big of a deal until you realize that he's not even close to being a top 25 all-time 3-point shooter by %.

He's fortunate that he has been able to play in this era under the coaches he has. He's one of those guys that would have lived in Stew's doghouse with that many attempts and poor efficiency.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggiePacobag

Locked Previous topicNext topic