Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 23rd, 2021, 6:58 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 4:56 pm
slcagg wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 3:55 pm
Tony Jones has a good article today on Conley wanting to stay in Utah for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s cool. Even after he retires or just more around his playing days? Great to see him playing so well this year.
For his career. Hoping to find a way to stay even though he can prob demand more money somewhere else.

I'd be surprised if the Jazz end up keeping him. Next year you already have Rudy for 35 million, Donovan for 28 million and Bojan/Clarkson/Ingles for 44 million. All of those guys other than Ingles will be making even more the following year. They won't be able to pay 20 million a year to Conley which is what he'll be able to get. He would have to take a sizeable paycut to stay in Utah and I doubt he does.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 24th, 2021, 9:25 pm

63-47 on the Lakers at the half. The best 3 point shooting team in history is currently 14-23 at the half. This team is going to have the best record in the NBA by a considerable margin.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 24th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 9:25 pm
63-47 on the Lakers at the half. The best 3 point shooting team in history is currently 14-23 at the half. This team is going to have the best record in the NBA by a considerable margin.
Are the lakers a lottery team? My goodness their effort is awful. Jazz could have won this game by 40 + if they wanted to.

stang

Post by stang » February 24th, 2021, 10:05 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 9:58 pm
February 24th, 2021, 9:25 pm
Are the lakers a lottery team? My goodness their effort is awful. Jazz could have won this game by 40 + if they wanted to.
The Lakers minus AD and Schroeder are absolutely a lottery team. They lost to the Wizards a couple days back.

This is a great win regardless, I'm not trying to take away from that. But man the Lakers depth is horrendous.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 24th, 2021, 10:31 pm

Ho hum, another 20+ point victory with 20+ 3 pointers made. Ridiculous how good and deep this team is.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 24th, 2021, 10:33 pm

The Lakers have lost 5 of 6 with their one win being against the worst team in basketball. They aren't a good team without the brow and Schroeder, but it is still a great win as the Jazz continue to dominate every team they play. I mean the Jazz aren't just winning they are destroying teams 2018 USU football style. People are comparing them to the 2015 Hawks, but the Jazz are much better offensively than that team and have a legit star rim protector that the Hawks didn't have.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm

February 24th, 2021, 10:33 pm
The Lakers have lost 5 of 6 with their one win being against the worst team in basketball. They aren't a good team without the brow and Schroeder, but it is still a great win as the Jazz continue to dominate every team they play. I mean the Jazz aren't just winning they are destroying teams 2018 USU football style. People are comparing them to the 2015 Hawks, but the Jazz are much better offensively than that team and have a legit star rim protector that the Hawks didn't have.
What about the 2014 Spurs?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 24th, 2021, 10:40 pm

One other thing to keep in mind: the Jazz have THE EASIEST REMAINING SCHEDULE in the entire Association.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 24th, 2021, 10:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm
February 24th, 2021, 10:33 pm
What about the 2014 Spurs?
People are comparing them to the Hawks saying they will be a great regular season team, but show to be paper tigers in the playoffs. That 2014 Spurs team was great like the Jazz in how they blew out a lot of teams during the year. Both teams were great defensively. The Jazz are a lot better than that team offensively, although everyone scores more now than even just a few years ago.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 24th, 2021, 10:50 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 10:40 pm
One other thing to keep in mind: the Jazz have THE EASIEST REMAINING SCHEDULE in the entire Association.
Yeah they are a lock to be the number 1 seed if they stay healthy. Nobody is catching this team. They show up every game and dominate whoever is put in front of them. They make 3's at ease and are blowing teams out even when Mitchell has an off game like tonight. They won't go undefeated obviously, but their losses are going to come when another team just plays out of their mind like when the Nuggets went 15 of 17 from 3 in the first half or against really good teams like the Clippers last week.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 25th, 2021, 9:07 am

Do the Jazz hit 60 wins? That would be incredible given a 72 game season.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 25th, 2021, 10:16 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 9:07 am
Do the Jazz hit 60 wins? That would be incredible given a 72 game season.
It will be tough, but possible. They are 26-6 with 40 games left. They would have to go 34-6 the rest of the way which sounds difficult on the surface, but with the way they have been playing and with their schedule being one of the easier ones in the league, they could do it. Also as good as their 26-6 record is, they started 3-4 and are 23-2 since. If they continue at the pace of the last 25 games, they will do it. However it is possible they start resting players near the end of the season as their lead in the standings increases. They are currently 3.5 games up on the Clippers and that lead likely keeps getting bigger over the next month with the Clippers having a much tougher schedule and the Clippers load managing.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 25th, 2021, 10:20 am

Can they win 60 games? It will be tough, but not out of the realm of possibility. A few advanced metrics tell a story of just how good the Jazz are and why they are not only winning, but blowing nearly everyone out.

First, the Jazz are absolutely elite both offensively and defensively. They are in the top 3 of both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency. They are currently 3rd in the league (Nets, Clips) in Offensive Efficiency, and 2nd in Defensive Efficiency (Lakers). For those who may not know, offensive and defensive efficiency stats are basically points per 100 possessions, so it adjusts for pace of play, which allows for accurate comparisons between two teams that play a different style or pace.

That by itself is a recipe for winning a lot of games, and in the past has been a key metric of championship teams. The only other team that is even in the top 10 of both is Phoenix (10 defense, 7 offense), who, if you haven't noticed is also winning a lot of games.

They also lead the league in Rebounding Rate, which is the total percentage of missed shots on which they get the rebound, pulling in 58% of all missed shots. So not only are they one of the most offensively efficient teams when they have the ball, they get more opportunities to score than their opponents do. And in those extra possessions, they absolutely make their opponents pay. They are 3rd in the league in True Shooting Percentage (adjusted to account for 3s, 2s, and FT).

Put all of this together, and it is a recipe for an absolutely dominant team, which is what we see. And after 32 games, it is absolutely not a fluke.

Plus, as I stated above, they have played the 5th most difficult schedule to date (not higher mostly because they don't have to play themselves), and have the easiest schedule remaining (again, don't have to play themselves), with a combined opponent win percentage going forward of .477 They have 40 games left, but only have 13(!) remaining games against teams that are currently over .500:

2 vs Lakers
2 vs Suns
2 vs Blazers
2 vs Spurs
1 vs Nuggets
2 vs Warriors
1 vs 76ers
1 vs Nets

So where are the remaining losses coming from? Surely they will lose a handful of these games, along with a couple of games against the under .500 crowd, but assuming everyone stays healthy, there aren't a lot of potential losses left on the schedule. So could they win 60 (of 72)? That would be insane and unthinkable at the start of the season, but now it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. I would say that 55 wins is more realistic, and still crazy good.

And as for resting guys, even if they do, there aren't many games this season in which I feel like sitting one guy would have made much of a difference. This team is really balanced and deep.
Last edited by Mr. Sneelock on February 25th, 2021, 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 25th, 2021, 10:22 am

If you push for that 60 do you ware yourself out for the playoffs? I’m not sure but that is one reason I could see them possibly resting some guys etc.

Even with that and the remaining schedule I still think they win a lot of games.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 25th, 2021, 11:49 am

I'd rather see them rest guys as needed towards the end of the season than push for 60, if that's the choice. Especially once the 1 seed is locked up.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

stang

Post by stang » February 25th, 2021, 12:09 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:I'd rather see them rest guys as needed towards the end of the season than push for 60, if that's the choice. Especially once the 1 seed is locked up.
Agreed, I’m very against chasing a target number of wins. If they get to a point where it feels like the one seed is locked in, I really hope they play it smart and get ready for the playoffs.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 25th, 2021, 12:39 pm

stang wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 12:09 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:I'd rather see them rest guys as needed towards the end of the season than push for 60, if that's the choice. Especially once the 1 seed is locked up.
Agreed, I’m very against chasing a target number of wins. If they get to a point where it feels like the one seed is locked in, I really hope they play it smart and get ready for the playoffs.
I am sure they will. There is nothing magical about a certain number of wins, especially where they don't have the full 82 games. It isn't like they are gunning for the Warriors record or anything. 60 doesn't matter. The 1 seed does.

Also, come May and June, is there a possibility the Jazz will allow even more fans to attend? The Jazz homecourt advantage is massive, and could be great to have all the way through the playoffs.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 25th, 2021, 12:53 pm

If they keep blowing people out like this, is there really a need to sit players for an entire game? I mean, when your key guys are only playing ~25 minutes because they're on the bench in the fourth quarter... seems like they're getting rest and staying sharp at the same time.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Holy Utah Jazz

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 25th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Jazz are pretty big favorites go win it all going by 538's ELO ratings. They're tied first at 20% with the clippers using their player based ratings which are more thorough and take injuries and clutch performance into account. Image

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 25th, 2021, 1:28 pm

stang wrote:
I dunno, I hope they win exactly 16 after the regular season.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 25th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 12:39 pm
stang wrote:
I am sure they will. There is nothing magical about a certain number of wins, especially where they don't have the full 82 games. It isn't like they are gunning for the Warriors record or anything. 60 doesn't matter. The 1 seed does.

Also, come May and June, is there a possibility the Jazz will allow even more fans to attend? The Jazz homecourt advantage is massive, and could be great to have all the way through the playoffs.
Yeah, getting to 60 wins would be kind of cool, but it isn't worth exhausting your team over. Even the 73 win Warriors didn't end up winning the Championship and Draymond put some of the blame on how they wore themselves out that season chasing the win total.

The Jazz just need to make sure they are the 1 seed, rested, healthy and ready to go. The Lakers are looking like they might fall in the 4/5 spot which means the Jazz likely will have to beat Golden State, the Lakers, the Clippers and the Nets to win a title. A very tough road. Fans are slowly coming back. It is up to 4,000 fans are allowed in now. I imagine by the playoffs that will have doubled if not increased by more with so many people vaccinated and cases dropping in Utah.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm

whatever happens with the wins, they are very fun to watch!! generally when you kick and shoot threes, it's generally one player dominating the ball and then dishing at the end, but these jazz have soo many people handle the ball. that makes this fun to watch!!
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 26th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Tough loss tonight. I thought the Heat were more physical and out-hustled the Jazz. They played really agressive perimeter defense. Nobody could make a big shot down the stretch.

Oh well, on to the next.
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 26th, 2021, 8:46 pm

Poor defense. Out rebounded. Didn't have it tonight.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 27th, 2021, 6:25 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 8:39 pm
Tough loss tonight. I thought the Heat were more physical and out-hustled the Jazz. They played really agressive perimeter defense. Nobody could make a big shot down the stretch.

Oh well, on to the next.
First team to really exploit Bogey on D and we didn't shoot particularly well. Miami is a good team with Dragic and it took their best performance of the year to beat us in a close game in which we played poorly.

I think the one thing we lack is a long wing defender that can bother guys like Butler. Royce is good but only about 6'4". Ingles is solid but is overmatched against the elite wings. Oni shows flashes of being able to do it but don't see where he is getting minutes.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Back to winning tonight with a 15 pt win in Orlando. Not the best overall 3 point shooting night, but Mitchell still goes 5-8 from deep and gets 31 pts. The Jazz offense is just incredible. 10 straight games of scoring at least 112 points.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 1st, 2021, 8:07 pm

I turned on the second half of the Jazz at New Orleans game. The Pelicans look way better in this one than the Jazz. Utah has no answer for them.
Last edited by Yossarian on March 1st, 2021, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 1st, 2021, 8:14 pm

16-3 run by the Jazz. Within a point with a minute left. This team fights and doesn't quit.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on March 1st, 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 1st, 2021, 8:22 pm

Now they cut it to one

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 1st, 2021, 8:28 pm

Then they have two horrible possessions in a row. The drive by Mitchell then the three attempt by Conley

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 1st, 2021, 8:30 pm

Love the fight in this team, but it was a tough loss with how bad the defense was in the second half. The D has been bad this whole road trip. If they don't get this cleaned up, Philly will run them out of the gym on Wednesday.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 1st, 2021, 10:09 pm

New Orleans seems to give us trouble. Ingram is the long wing scorer we have a hard time guarding and Zion is a problem for everyone.

That team is too talented to be 15-19.

Jazz defense on the perimeter is bad. Predictable lull hopefully the can grab the Philly game and go into the break with a win

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 1st, 2021, 10:17 pm

Yeah Zion is going to run the league in a few years. I do love watching him play except for when he is playing the Jazz. He got his points, but I thought the Jazz forced him into tough spots and stole the ball from him several times. He had 6 turnovers tonight.

The Jazz d on the Pelican's role players was pathetic. You can't let guys like Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart beat you.

stang

Post by stang » March 1st, 2021, 10:28 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 10:09 pm
New Orleans seems to give us trouble. Ingram is the long wing scorer we have a hard time guarding and Zion is a problem for everyone.

That team is too talented to be 15-19.

Jazz defense on the perimeter is bad. Predictable lull hopefully the can grab the Philly game and go into the break with a win
Agreed on all fronts. That was probably the best New Orleans has played this year, but they should have a much better record than they do. It just goes to show that it's near impossible to have a legit competitor in today's NBA without having several elite shooters, that's where New Orleans falls short.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Intermeddler

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 3rd, 2021, 4:34 pm

I didn't see the NOLA game, so I can't really comment on it, but tonight against the 76ers is a bit of a statement game.

At least the Lakers and Clippers keep losing and keeping the Jazz comfortably in first place. I am more worried about the Suns now.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic