Healthy Locker Room

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueBlood

Healthy Locker Room

Post by BigBlueBlood » February 1st, 2021, 11:24 am

With so many transfers, there is a plausible risk that some come in with an attitude of "been there, done that," and "I'm here to save the program," which can alienate the current players who committed to USU originally and/or who have been around and invested in the program. To possibly compound things, we have three former ArkSU players from Anderson's previous team, and two of them played together at QB and WR. I understand that players really like Peasley. Do we risk a Shelley 2.0 situation? I'm not too concerned, but it's a fair question and a legitimate issue to be aware of. Personally, I think the locker room issues, which were quite bad, really contributed to the end of G. Andersen at USU.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Healthy Locker Room

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 1st, 2021, 11:30 am

I think these are good questions.

Personally, I think that it's not an issue if the coaches can be impartial. I believe the offensive staff is mostly new from Anderson's staff at ASU, so I think Peasley will mostly get a fair shake. The QB from ASU split reps last year anyway. From everything I've heard, Peasley is a competitor, so hopefully he's ready to go.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 1st, 2021, 11:34 am

So long as in spring and summer it is open competition and the coaches choose who is performing the best then I don't think it is an issue.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 1st, 2021, 11:35 am

BigBlueBlood wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 11:24 am
With so many transfers, there is a plausible risk that some come in with an attitude of "been there, done that," and "I'm here to save the program," which can alienate the current players who committed to USU originally and/or who have been around and invested in the program. To possibly compound things, we have three former ArkSU players from Anderson's previous team, and two of them played together at QB and WR. I understand that players really like Peasley. Do we risk a Shelley 2.0 situation? I'm not too concerned, but it's a fair question and a legitimate issue to be aware of. Personally, I think the locker room issues, which were quite bad, really contributed to the end of G. Andersen at USU.
The difference between Logan Bonner and Jason Shelley being brought in is Logan Bonner is already in school and every one has been told that it will be an open competition. Jason Shelley was brought in two weeks before fall camp was scheduled to start and months after Henry Colombi was told that we would be the guy.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
GA_AggieUSU78AgSpaceCaseFloridaAggie13JSHarvey

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 1st, 2021, 11:38 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 11:35 am
BigBlueBlood wrote:
The difference between Logan Bonner and Jason Shelley being brought in is Logan Bonner is already in school and every one has been told that it will be an open competition. Jason Shelley was brought in two weeks before fall camp was scheduled to start and months after Henry Colombi was told that we would be the guy.
And especially that Colombi is very clearly a superior QB.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AgSpaceCase

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 1st, 2021, 1:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
BigBlueBlood wrote:
Yeah big difference between Bonner transferring in December and Shelley coming after Spring ball. Also is anyone sold on Peasley? He looked good against New Mexico, but I don't think people are dead set on him being the guy. If he wins the job, great. With Colombi, people were sure of him being the successor to Love and excited to see him be that guy for literally years.

cval

Post by cval » February 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm

I think most will give Anderson the benefit of the doubt to begin with.

Andersen had made a number of blunders that brought his judgement into question and lead to the divided locker room.

I am guessing/hoping that Anderson will be astute enough to recognize the risk, and exercise proper discretion.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
aggies22

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
BigBlueBlood wrote:
Yeah big difference between Bonner transferring in December and Shelley coming after Spring ball. Also is anyone sold on Peasley? He looked good against New Mexico, but I don't think people are dead set on him being the guy. If he wins the job, great. With Colombi, people were sure of him being the successor to Love and excited to see him be that guy for literally years.
I’m not sold on Peasley. Just because the last coaching staff decided to play him over Legas means nothing. Or at least it shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 1st, 2021, 2:51 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
BigBlueBlood wrote:
I’m not sold on Peasley. Just because the last coaching staff decided to play him over Legas means nothing. Or at least it shouldn’t.

Agreed. A completely different deal than what we saw last year.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 1st, 2021, 3:05 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
So far all I have seen is a crazy good vibe coming from this new staff. The new coaches are saying how much they love USU, the new transfers are tweeting how much they love it in Logan, former players are saying how excited they are for USU football, even coaches of other sports are commenting on how much positive energy surrounds this new football staff.

So far it all seems :rock: :utah: :rock: :state: :rock:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
BustaMcNutt

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 1st, 2021, 3:09 pm

My father used to talk about "staying too long at the fair." Coaches reach a point, and this is inevitable, where they just can no longer get through to the kids. It's not that the coach suddenly got dumb or forgot everything he knew. It's something else entirely. Staying on, or trying to, when you've lost them is unfair to the coach and unfair to the kids. It's arguable, for example, that Morrill stayed too long by a couple of years.

It seems pretty clear that GA stayed too long.

The ideal is to leave them wanting more rather than wait till they run you out of town.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
NavyBlueAggieFloridaAggie13mcaggie1

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 1st, 2021, 3:25 pm

Spoke with my son (Stephen Kotsanlee) on Sat night (Aggie time) and he said the vibe amongst the team is rockin'. He hasn't detected any tension with all the new players in the locker room. He's loving the new coaching team. Yeah, I know he's just a punter but ...... 😉
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 21):
slcaggUSU78BustaMcNuttthegreendalegelfusu99utahcountyaggieGeoAgSlumJumBLUERUFiOaggieguy13 and 11 more users

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 1st, 2021, 3:50 pm

Like USU78 said, staying too long can be anathema to ongoing success. Much like the house guest who leaves too soon, the vibe is positive as opposed to one who just keeps hanging around.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » February 1st, 2021, 4:47 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 3:25 pm
Spoke with my son (Stephen Kotsanlee) on Sat night (Aggie time) and he said the vibe amongst the team is rockin'. He hasn't detected any tension with all the new players in the locker room. He's loving the new coaching team. Yeah, I know he's just a punter but ...... 😉
That's what we love to hear!
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
AussieAggieDad

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 1st, 2021, 5:45 pm

USU78 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 3:09 pm
My father used to talk about "staying too long at the fair." Coaches reach a point, and this is inevitable, where they just can no longer get through to the kids. It's not that the coach suddenly got dumb or forgot everything he knew. It's something else entirely. Staying on, or trying to, when you've lost them is unfair to the coach and unfair to the kids. It's arguable, for example, that Morrill stayed too long by a couple of years.

The ideal is to leave them wanting more rather than wait till they run you out of town.
Yes Stew stayed too long at the party. Gary did an even worse thing; leave the party at 11 when the party was rocking and go back to the party at 2am to trash the place.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78AggiePT

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 1st, 2021, 7:07 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
He’s a damn good punter and was arguably the best player on our team last year.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AussieAggieDad

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 7:07 pm
AussieAggieDad wrote:
Bluegrouse, that's very kind of you to say! That the second part of your sentence could be even remotely true says so much about the Aggies last season. :shock: Even to a newbie like me!

The headshaker for me was the game against Air Force - Aggies were 4th & inches and, theoretically, still in the game and decided to punt! Even after AF took a time out we still punted. Was the sign of surrender for me. My younger son & I still can't believe it - a real WTF moment!!
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggiefan33

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 1st, 2021, 7:28 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
AussieAggieDad wrote:
Bluegrouse, that's very kind of you to say! That the second part of your sentence could be even remotely true says so much about the Aggies last season. :shock: Even to a newbie like me!

The headshaker for me was the game against Air Force - Aggies were 4th & inches and, theoretically, still in the game and decided to punt! Even after AF took a time out we still punted. Was the sign of surrender for me. My younger son & I still can't believe it - a real WTF moment!!
It makes perfect sense... With the game on the line you always put the ball in your best players hands and let them do their thing. :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggiefan33AussieAggieDad

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 1st, 2021, 7:31 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 7:28 pm
AussieAggieDad wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
AussieAggieDad wrote:

It makes perfect sense... With the game on the line you always put the ball in your best players hands and let them do their thing. :thumbsup:
LOL - you made me snort my coffee!
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 1st, 2021, 8:27 pm

First- knock on wood but it would be difficult to be worse than last year.

Second- Gary bringing in Shelley was an inherent lack of confidence. He’d been around Colombi for a year and still chose to bring in Shelley. Whereas BA bringing in his guy is an inherent vote OF confidence with the guy he chose to go to war with

I have no idea what the locker room thinks- but i can understand seeing what GA did as betrayal. Whereas BA is more like a new beginning. That’s how I hope people would see the difference.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » February 1st, 2021, 9:39 pm

Full disclosure.
I am on my 2nd 3 finger drink of whiskey. But I clicked on this thread thinking it was about something very different.

These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 1st, 2021, 10:03 pm

I have been saying that there is a big difference between Shelley coming here cause playing quarterback at Utah was NOT an option for him, whereas Bonner did have the option to play quarterback at Arkansas State if he wanted.

There are a few things Kotsanlee can do to match previous punters. He can try to run for a 72 yard touchdown like Jaron Bentrude. And if that happens, hopefully he doesn't celebrate prematurely and get the touchdown wiped away like what happened with the LSU punter from Australia, which I will say was a stupid rule change that should have never been made, and a rule change I will still say I disagreed with even if that ever works in our favor. We would have to hope the celebration is instead late enough for the touchdown to stand and 15 yards assessed on the kickoff or PAT, although we don't want that either if the game is close enough to matter.

And we hopefully won't have any more fires at our athletics facilities, or really anywhere on campus, but if we do, we can hope he is as ready to put it out like Aaron Dalton was!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 1st, 2021, 11:10 pm

USU78 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 3:09 pm

You know, my wife keeps bringing up this analogy with me. Hmmm...
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOUSU78aggies22

USU78

Post by USU78 » February 2nd, 2021, 7:18 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:39 pm
Full disclosure.
I am on my 2nd 3 finger drink of whiskey. But I clicked on this thread thinking it was about something very different.

I had the exact same thought! 🤪

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 7:41 am

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 3rd, 2021, 7:04 am

AussieAggieDad wrote:
I just absolutely love this concept! I am going to try to change my references of time zones to AT+-.
I currently am posting from AT +1

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 3rd, 2021, 3:18 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 7:04 am
AussieAggieDad wrote:
I just absolutely love this concept! I am going to try to change my references of time zones to AT+-.
G'day AGinNEIowa, FYI Melbourne, Australia is +18 hours ahead of Logan. I worked mainly for US coys in the tech industry (am retired now) and managing time zones was always a challenge. Chuck in Europe and daylight saving and it was nuts :bangwall: Always some poor bugger on a conf call in their pyjamas! :shock:
AGinNEIowa

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 3rd, 2021, 3:50 pm

AussieAggieDad wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 3:18 pm
AGinNEIowa wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 7:04 am
AussieAggieDad wrote:
G'day AGinNEIowa, FYI Melbourne, Australia is +18 hours ahead of Logan. I worked mainly for US coys in the tech industry (am retired now) and managing time zones was always a challenge. Chuck in Europe and daylight saving and it was nuts :bangwall: Always some poor bugger on a conf call in their pyjamas! :shock:
+18 hours? What's the future like?
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadaggies22

Aggies All the Way!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » February 3rd, 2021, 4:18 pm

2004AG wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
BigBlueBlood wrote:

I really like what can be done with Peasley's skill set although he needs to work on accuracy and touch and I think his arm is only average. However, his mobility is elite. He doesn't have quite the escapability as Keeton but I think he is close with better top end speed. You can build an offense around the kind of chaos he can create breaking contain if he can make some modest improvements to the rest of his game.

That said, there is not a player on this team that should be shielded from competition and I think Logan Bonner has a huge advantage as a better passer who has run the coaches offense at a decent level at least early on. I could see Peasley pushing him for the job though if he can improve under better coaching.

troutputz
RIP

Re:Welcome AggieAussieDad

Post by troutputz » February 4th, 2021, 12:12 am

G’dday Mate! I spent 12 months in the Brisbane area( Sandgate,Wynum, Lutwyche, Clayfield). 6 months in Rockhampton, and finally 6 months in Calaundra on the Sunshine Coast. Loved Australia, best time of my life!
Hope your son becomes an Aggie Great!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 2):
AussieAggieDadUSU78

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 4th, 2021, 1:31 am

G'day troutputz, many thanks for your welcome and good wishes for my boy. Stephen is loving life as an Aggie and is very excited by the opportunities for 2021 with the new coaches on board and all the new arrivals to the team.

Glad you enjoyed your time in Oz. If you ever come back be sure to visit Melbourne. It would be good to meet.

I do hope to visit Logan and watch Stephen play. Cache Valley looks to be such a beautiful place.

Cheers for now.
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » February 4th, 2021, 9:03 am

AussieAggieDad wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 1:31 am
G'day troutputz, many thanks for your welcome and good wishes for my boy. Stephen is loving life as an Aggie and is very excited by the opportunities for 2021 with the new coaches on board and all the new arrivals to the team.

Glad you enjoyed your time in Oz. If you ever come back be sure to visit Melbourne. It would be good to meet.

I do hope to visit Logan and watch Stephen play. Cache Valley looks to be such a beautiful place.

Cheers for now.
You get to Adelaide much? I have a foster sister lives there. She and her husband own an almond ranch outside of town.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
AussieAggieDad

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 4th, 2021, 12:56 pm

G'day USU78, my sister lives in Adelaide but I don't get there as often as I should.
USU78

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » February 4th, 2021, 1:15 pm

My step-mum is from Melbourne.

She got me hooked on watching Hawthorne when the Aggies aren't on. Go Hawks!
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
AussieAggieDad

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » February 4th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Well played BLM, your step-mum is a very wise lady! My family and I are Hawks supporters too!! Still living on the memories of the 3-peat of 2013-15. What a time. We were fortunate to attend each of those Grand Finals. Wonderful days.

An Aggie 3-peat in MW would be awesome!
These users thanked the author AussieAggieDad for the post (total 3):
USU78thegreendalegelfBearLakeMonster

Locked Previous topicNext topic