I say cut the MW Tournament to 4 this year

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

I say cut the MW Tournament to 4 this year

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 1st, 2021, 10:40 pm

I think it is in the best interest of the MW to just cut the tournament to 4 teams this year. For one thing, it's safer with there being only 4 teams instead of 8, and only 2 of them there 2 days with the other 2 out of there after one day.

And the reason to even have all 11 teams, fans bringing in money, is out as New Mexico and Wyoming fans aren't booking trips like normal cause of the lack of certainty even the players families, let alone fans beyond them, will be allowed to attend.

And finally, it makes sense cause it would eliminate the possibility of a bad loss for not only us but the other 3 teams, knocking them out of the tournament, like we the last two years nearly had a bad first round loss to New Mexico. And it makes the teams more likely to get one more quality win helping their cause for a bid, eliminating the possibility that 7 upsets 2 or 6 upsets 3, so that the 2's semifinal win over the 6 or the 3's over the 7 is NOT a quality win like the winner of the 2 VS. 3 semi-final game would be. There is also more reason to consider this since this year, everyone had to have their first game be a real game, as opposed to the normal 2 exhibition warm-up games, and almost everyone had the OOC schedule, and shots at quality wins there gashed, so we can justify gashing an opportunity for a bad loss knocking teams off the bubble.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: I say cut the MW Tournament to 4 this year

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 1st, 2021, 11:14 pm

We had this debate last week. Many won't agree with you, but I will. For this one year, 4 teams is fine with me.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2021, 12:41 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 11:14 pm
We had this debate last week. Many won't agree with you, but I will. For this one year, 4 teams is fine with me.
It’s a great idea provided your team is one of the 4 invited teams.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggie3rdGenAggieAggiePT

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 2nd, 2021, 1:39 am

utaggies wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 12:41 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 11:14 pm
It’s a great idea provided your team is one of the 4 invited teams.
Sure, but Nevada is the only team outside of the top 4 that would even have a case right now. The others I don't really feel sorry for.

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 7:24 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 10:40 pm
And the reason to even have all 11 teams, fans bringing in money, is out as New Mexico and Wyoming fans aren't booking trips like normal cause of the lack of certainty even the players families, let alone fans beyond them, will be allowed to attend.
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, at all, but...

I dont think that we should have all 11 teams because of financial reasons (but I will agree that it probably is the real reason). Just like you have to play a complete game to win, you have to play a complete season. I would hate to leave out a team that has struggled but is coming together and can have a big impact in the tournament. To me that is one of the best parts of sports in general.

If the Aggies were not having a good season I would still want to see them come together and compete in the tournament.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 2nd, 2021, 7:26 am

I'm tired if all the stupid changes we've had to endure. I vote let them all play. Once you lose, you go home. It will add two extra days to the tournament.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
SaintAggiesam tingey

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 7:44 am

The best scenario that I can see for a 4-team tournament would be one where Boise staggers to a 5th place finish and The “spokesman” for the reduced tournament is required to watch from his home in Idaho.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieAggiefan33

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » February 2nd, 2021, 7:51 am

its all or nothing for me. All teams play in the tourney or don't have a tournament at all.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
aggies22

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 8:06 am

Good idea. Let's also cut March Madness to 8 teams because that's all the teams who really have any shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 10:01 am

I still think that we should cut it to 8. Losing the bottom 3 eliminates a day from the tournament without really eliminating anyone that really has a chance. I also think that they should move it somewhere that they can have fans (even in a limited capacity). The Maverik Center or Vivint would both work.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 2nd, 2021, 10:14 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 8:06 am
Good idea. Let's also cut March Madness to 8 teams because that's all the teams who really have any shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope they don't, but there has been talk of cutting March madness down this year. Lunardi has even done a 48 and 16 team brackets along with his regular bracket. The whole season has already been a mess. We have had games cancelled, other teams have had conference games cancelled and who knows what teams will not end up playing in the conference tournament because of their own covid issues. It isn't in the end of the world in a season where we already lost the Myrtle Beach Classic along with many other games not to have a full conference tournament. We might not get one even if we plan for one.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 10:20 am

This is a weird idea when you consider the run that Wyoming made last year in the tourney.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 2nd, 2021, 10:28 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 10:20 am
This is a weird idea when you consider the run that Wyoming made last year in the tourney.
Not really in a covid year where you have a chance conference tournaments could be cancelled anyway. Many would have thought it was a weird idea to only play 6 ooc games, but that is the type of season we are dealing with.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am

I've never been accused of being particularly optimistic, and even I think COVID will be in a better place by March than it is today, and generally speaking it's in a lot better place today than it was this time last month. A months worth of vaccinations and being further removed from the height of the winter respiratory season will help with that.

I don't think having the teams there will end up causing a lot of problems.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2021, 10:47 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am
I've never been accused of being particularly optimistic, and even I think COVID will be in a better place by March than it is today, and generally speaking it's in a lot better place today than it was this time last month. A months worth of vaccinations and being further removed from the height of the winter respiratory season will help with that.

Agreed, even if they need to hold the tournament in a bubble. Now is not the time to shuffle the deck and make new rules on who’s invited and who isn’t.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 2nd, 2021, 10:51 am

utaggies wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 10:47 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am

Agreed, even if they need to hold the tournament in a bubble. Now is not the time to shuffle the deck and make new rules on who’s invited and who isn’t.
Yes there is a great chance that it will be a regular tournament and things will be fine. I would just be fine if were 4 this year. We got screwed out of some good resume boosting OOC games this year that have damaged our tourney chances. I would not shed a tear if Wyoming, Fresno State or whoever didn't get to play in the conference tournament for one year based on their poor play. Hard for me to sympathize with teams who didn't get it done on the court.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 2nd, 2021, 11:47 am

SectionBAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 7:44 am
The best scenario that I can see for a 4-team tournament would be one where Boise staggers to a 5th place finish and The “spokesman” for the reduced tournament is required to watch from his home in Idaho.
That's the only way I would be onboard with four teams.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieReal Life Aggie

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » February 2nd, 2021, 12:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 11:47 am
SectionBAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 7:44 am
That's the only way I would be onboard with four teams.
This would be hilarious.

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 2nd, 2021, 12:19 pm

Yeah, I'm against just 4 teams, though I would prefer some feedback from some public health experts about the situation.

Locked Previous topicNext topic