Bean & Queta Scoring #'s

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSox

Bean & Queta Scoring #'s

Post by AggieSox » January 28th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Just had this thought for a while now...........................

Bean is a stud rebounder, hustler, etc.....He's now a Junior, he's played a ton and now started for 2 years or so, He is averaging 10 Points per game for the season, not horrible & not bad. But he rarely gets 10 points against quality Opponents if ever, examples Versus BYU he had 6 and Versus SDSU he had 4(1/8 FG) & 4(2'/7 FG) Points , versus CSU 6 & 6.

He used to almost always be a double double guy last year, but the dude rarely shows up against good teams, plays timid and nervous in close games. What's up with this? 3rd year player should be confident and killing it. I get that teams box him out like crazy now, but he only scores over 10 when we play crap teams we blow out. He's not our #1 or #2 Offensive guy, but he always got all the hustle put backs and dunks in the past, this year, something just seems off. IMO he should be scoring 20+ 1 out of 3 games, maybe 1 out of 4, due to the other teams so focused on Neme, Miller, etc......

Similar with Queta, why cant the guy score 25 1/3 or 1/4 games and against good teams his offense is sad. Neme should have 3-5 dunks per game and shoot 10 FT per game to get to 15-20 per game. He averages 12 pts per game & we got to NEME a ton and in tight games he seem like he's all nervous like the last 2 UNLV games. And this is NEME's 3rd year starting, I could see it for a Frosh or Soph, but not a 3 year starter who might play in NBA.

Anyone agree?

newhouse9

Re: Bean & Queta Scoring #'s

Post by newhouse9 » January 28th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Bean just needs to abandon the 3 point shot and do what he does best. Hustle and make plays. His mid-range is vastly improved. But that 3...move on Justin, move on.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 3):
IBleedAggieBluecdaAgAggieSox

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 28th, 2021, 4:20 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 4:14 pm
Bean just needs to abandon the 3 point shot and do what he does best. Hustle and make plays. His mid-range is vastly improved. But that 3...move on Justin, move on.
I have it on good authority that those are all "good misses".
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13AggieSox

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 28th, 2021, 5:01 pm

Queta could score a lot more but he is also being double teamed by most teams on most plays. He could force a lot of shots and watch his percentage go down. Doing that the rest of the team would stand around not be in the flow of the game and likely shoot lower percentages as well. Queta is so good at drawing the double team and passing out of it that the other players are working hard to get open knowing they will get the ball and a good shot.

I was excited to see Queta make a couple of quick moves last night before the double team could come and defender get set. I think he needs to do more of that, mix a quick move with pounding it waiting for the double team to pass, it would put more pressure on other teams defense not knowing what to do every time. I think he needs to do the quick move 5 times a game at least.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
cdaAg

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 28th, 2021, 5:06 pm

His 3 needs to go, but less boards is part of others increased boards. We’re smashing other teams on boards, so why complain about 1 guys stats. He still still is making steals and diving for balls. Seems those around him are all around better this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggieSox

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 28th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 4:20 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 4:14 pm
I have it on good authority that those are all "good misses".
I will rest much easier now. Thanks! :)

bpd

Post by bpd » January 28th, 2021, 5:36 pm

I said this about Bean after the South Dakota tournament. He is a role player. His offensive game is limited. He has no post up moves and is not athletic enough to beat anybody off the dribble. He is good when he can out hustle lesser opponents, but when there is a good team that knows what they are doing then it is tougher. Bean is a good player who deserves lots of minutes, but Fonz has a better offensive game.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 28th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I think expecting 20+ points out of Bean every 3rd or 4th game is crazy talk and doesn't fit this offense at all. We can all agree that Worster had a good game last night yes? Well, he still didn't score 20 and he was everywhere. 20+ points is a lot at the college level, it basically means you are scoring 1/3 to 1/4 of your teams points. With Smith going 8 deep, any single player getting 20 is a tall order. We have a starting five that all average double figures and another 3 players that average 5-7 points - it's a very balanced team from a scoring perspective.

I believe Bean's game is still hustle based put backs and baseline or mid-range jumpers. He doesn't need to score 20 points himself to account for 20+ points being scored by our team with his offensive rebounding ability. We get tons of second chance points because of him and that's where his real value lies.

I do agree that Neemi should be getting far more trips to the FT line but the problem is he is either too weak with the ball and loses it, finds himself fading away from the rim, or is not patient enough to draw or create contact. If he would go to the rim he would find that he would get some calls. Being 7 feet tall and spinning awkwardly while falling away from the basket, even if he gets fouled, the refs aren't likely to call it.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
Aggiefan33treesap32

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » January 28th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Situations where it is acceptable for Bean to shoot a 3 pointer: shot clock is 3 seconds or left and ball is in his hands, or end of half/game situations with less than 5 seconds left if ball ends up in his hands for some random reason. He should not be shooting them early in the offense, regardless of how open he is.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
utaggiesAggieSox

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2021, 6:20 pm

Bean is doing just fine. His mid range shot is really good. He is not the first offensive option but is doing well. His rebounding is awesome. Go watch his offensive rebounds, they are pure want to. Now his 3 point shot needs to stay in warmups or the end of shot clock last resort type shots.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieSox

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 28th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 6:20 pm
Bean is doing just fine. His mid range shot is really good. He is not the first offensive option but is doing well. His rebounding is awesome. Go watch his offensive rebounds, they are pure want to. Now his 3 point shot needs to stay in warmups or the end of shot clock last resort type shots.
I'll take Bean everyday and Sunday. His effort, energy, second chance occasions, defensive want...
His shooting is meh, but not bad. He's been remarkably good in the 12-17 foot range, especially on inbound plays where he gets a screen.
I actually think his 3 ball is closer than further from the mark at this stage. Oh, and lets not forget that he's shooting almost 85% from the line as a big man!
I'm a bit taken aback by the criticism actually.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:12 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
I'll take Bean everyday and Sunday. His effort, energy, second chance occasions, defensive want...
His shooting is meh, but not bad. He's been remarkably good in the 12-17 foot range, especially on inbound plays where he gets a screen.
I actually think his 3 ball is closer than further from the mark at this stage. Oh, and lets not forget that he's shooting almost 85% from the line as a big man!
I am not critical of Bean, I love his game. I agree his 3 point shot is close to going down, but they are not at a consistent level to shoot 2-3 a game. He is for sure one of the glue guys on the team. Your comment about his mid range shot on the out of bounds play is one of my favorite plays they run.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkReal Life Aggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:28 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 7:12 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
I am not critical of Bean, I love his game. I agree his 3 point shot is close to going down, but they are not at a consistent level to shoot 2-3 a game. He is for sure one of the glue guys on the team. Your comment about his mid range shot on the out of bounds play is one of my favorite plays they run.
Agreed and I also think his dribbling has improved.

usu99

Post by usu99 » January 29th, 2021, 8:26 am

Queta got worked vs UNLV he was taking terrible shots half the time and forcing it. They definitely frustrated him even without the double.
These users thanked the author usu99 for the post:
AggieSox

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

Usu0505

Bean & Queta Scoring #'s

Post by Usu0505 » January 29th, 2021, 8:37 am

For him To be a true offensive threat we need him to be able to hit 3s. Not only for him but for our offense as a whole as well. Him not hitting 3s and being left wide open really clogs up down low.

Will that ever happen. Not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 29th, 2021, 9:16 am

Agree, his mid-range jumper is money. Does anyone have stats on just those shots. I have a hard time remembering him missing a 10-foot shot. It's pretty impressive.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » January 29th, 2021, 10:00 am

I like the guys game, but I feel that Fonz forces the most shots out of anyone on the team

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 29th, 2021, 10:16 am

I actually think Bean needs to keep shooting the 3 for a few reasons.

1. I think the shots will start to fall. It doesn't look as bad as the numbers say, it actually looks like a nice shot and many are close misses/rimming out, and if he's being left wide open he can prob hit it 25-30% in a larger sample, equates to a 40-45% mid range anyway

2. Our outside shooting is seriously lacking, esp in some of our lineups. Miller is the only starter who is much of a threat to hit a 3. I think Beans shot looks better than Worsters from 3 at least, Anthony might be slightly better though.

3. We need him to be a 3 ball threat next season, he is capable of developing it and him being able to stretch the floor would help everyone on offense including Queta down low. Also imagine if we face a zone more...having him capable of shooting it will help there too.

Should he be jacking up tons a game? No, but I have no problem with him taking wide open 3s a few times a game because some of these teams are simply keying on Miller and doubling Queta, and our offense starts to stall with 3 guys who can't or don't want to shoot the 3 when teams clog the middle

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 29th, 2021, 10:23 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:16 am

1. I think the shots will start to fall. It doesn't look as bad as the numbers say, it actually looks like a nice shot and many are close misses/rimming out, and if he's being left wide open he can prob hit it 25-30% in a larger sample, equates to a 40-45% mid range anyway

2. Our outside shooting is seriously lacking, esp in some of our lineups. Miller is the only starter who is much of a threat to hit a 3. I think Beans shot looks better than Worsters from 3 at least, Anthony might be slightly better though.

3. We need him to be a 3 ball threat next season, he is capable of developing it and him being able to stretch the floor would help everyone on offense including Queta down low. Also imagine if we face a zone more...having him capable of shooting it will help there too.

Should he be jacking up tons a game? No, but I have no problem with him taking wide open 3s a few times a game because some of these teams are simply keying on Miller and doubling Queta, and our offense starts to stall with 3 guys who can't or don't want to shoot the 3 when teams clog the middle
I have to disagree simply for the fact that Bean probably has the ugliest 3 point shot I've ever seen. The 'chuck from the hip' makes me shudder every time he lets it go.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 29th, 2021, 10:29 am

Bean taking 3’s takes him out of the picture of what he does best — get offensive rebounds. We have a few serviceable 3-point shooters — Miller, Anderson, Ashworth and even Anthony. Although I am perplexed as to why Anthony can hit 40% of his threes het only 63% of his FTs — barely better than Queta.

Bean is hitting 17% of his threes. There is no advantage in working his 3-point shooting into our offense unless the shot clock is expiring.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
treesap32

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 29th, 2021, 10:32 am

utaggies wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:29 am
Bean taking 3’s takes him out of the picture of what he does best — get offensive rebounds. We have a few serviceable 3-point shooters — Miller, Anderson, Ashworth and even Anthony. Although I am perplexed as to why Anthony can hit 40% of his threes het only 63% of his FTs — barely better than Queta.

Bean is hitting 17% of his threes. There is no advantage in working his 3-point shooting into our offense unless the shot clock is expiring.
I have to agree on this one. This season a Bean three-point attempt is basically as good as a turnover. It's going in at a very low rate (16%), and Bean is out of position as our best offensive rebounder. The result? The other team gets the ball, often times heading down the court for a transition attempt on the other end.

Also, don't forget Bairstow on the list of capable 3 point shooters. Even Queta has much better career percentages (albeit on much fewer shots) than Bean.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 29th, 2021, 10:33 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:23 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

I have to disagree simply for the fact that Bean probably has the ugliest 3 point shot I've ever seen. The 'chuck from the hip' makes me shudder every time he lets it go.
The ball rotation is all that matters if he's open...ever watch Shawn Marion play? :lol:
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
treesap32

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 29th, 2021, 10:36 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:33 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:23 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

The ball rotation is all that matters if he's open...ever watch Shawn Marion play? :lol:
Man, that made me smile. Shawn Marion.

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesReal Life Aggie

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 29th, 2021, 10:39 am

Bean hit 28% last season from 3, he's only taken 25 of them this year in 18 games... Don't think you need to even bother telling a guy taking 1.5 3s a game to stop shooting is my point

Yes he's not there to rebound his 1-2 3s a game, but with Queta, Anthony, etc. We still have guys capable of grabbing a board or Bean following his shot anyway
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
AggieSox

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 29th, 2021, 10:41 am

I agree with MJA on this one. He needs to be taking open 3s at about the same clip he currently is.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
MetsJetsAggiesReal Life AggieAggieSox

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 29th, 2021, 10:41 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:39 am
Bean hit 28% last season from 3, he's only taken 25 of them this year in 18 games... Don't think you need to even bother telling a guy taking 1.5 3s a game to stop shooting is my point

Yes he's not there to rebound his 1-2 3s a game, but with Queta, Anthony, etc. We still have guys capable of grabbing a board or Bean following his shot anyway
I'm guessing he's money in practice, thus the green light. He just needs to shake the Nick Hammer syndrome?
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 29th, 2021, 10:47 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:41 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

I'm guessing he's money in practice, thus the green light. He just needs to shake the Nick Hammer syndrome?
Yes or just small sample syndrome! 25 shots is still pretty tiny, 3 more drop and he'd be at 30+% and I swear he's had 4-5 lately that went in and out

Just from the eye test I think he can hit 30+% open 3s given a big enough sample. That's enough for me, esp when your 2 starting ball handlers don't have the best looking outside shots either. Anthony is hitting 40% so far surprisingly, but man that's a rough looking shot too sometimes

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 29th, 2021, 10:52 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:

I agree. My personal opinion watching those shots is he will revert back to at least his average of last year. A couple of wide open 3s from a 25-30% guy with our other rebounders inside isn't going to hurt the Aggies. It also means that a Forward isn't inside to rebound if he's anywhere near Bean. As long as it maintains the flow of the game the Aggies have had with Bean playing to date I don't think it hurts. If he was jacking up a ton of 3s and wasn't hitting at least 33% I would agree that he needs to slow down.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 29th, 2021, 11:49 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:41 am
I agree with MJA on this one. He needs to be taking open 3s at about the same clip he currently is.
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm with these guys. It doesn't look the greatest, and it can be frustrating with his low percentage, but I just really believe in everything that Justin Bean does. It might take him some time to get his shot going in games, but if Justin Bean wants to become a 3-pt shooter, he's going to become a 3-pt shooter.

"Good" misses or otherwise, Justin Bean is a player in whom I have confidence to rise up to such a challenge. Just give him a few shots here and there. Once he hits his rhythm, they'll start falling.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 29th, 2021, 11:52 am

The rule should be that Bean can take open 3’s as long as he follows the shot and rebounds any he misses.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
AggieSox

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 29th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Shooting from the outside only has the benefit of stretching the floor when the other team thinks of you as a threat. For example, even when Miller was shooting 30% from 3 last year most teams were guarding him like he was a 40% shooter and limiting his open looks was at least a part of the defensive game plan, which opened things up for other players. Not one single team is going to scheme to take away Bean's open looks from 3. So even at a best-case scenario of hitting 30% of his shots from 3 (currently sitting at about half of that), a possession that ends with a shot that has a 45% effective field goal percentage (45% would be the lowest eFG% among contributing players), does not open up the floor for other players, that does not give you a chance to draw a foul, and that takes one of your best rebounders out of the play is just not very efficient offense and we should try to do better. That doesn't mean that he will never be able to shoot from 3, but this probably isn't the year.

But at just 25 attempted 3's all season it's not really much of an issue anyway.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 29th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Saw this on Instagram
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AggieSox

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 29th, 2021, 9:38 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:Image
Saw this on Instagram
That’s pretty good company. Doubt he wins it but it’s a big honor to be a finalist.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » January 29th, 2021, 11:51 pm

usu99 wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 8:26 am
Queta got worked vs UNLV he was taking terrible shots half the time and forcing it. They definitely frustrated him even without the double.
Agreed, That's part of my point with Queta, he plays like a freshman a lot. Too often for my liking.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » January 29th, 2021, 11:55 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 11:52 am
The rule should be that Bean can take open 3’s as long as he follows the shot and rebounds any he misses.
OR- He gets 1 Three point shot for every 5 rebounds per game. :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic