Rivalry Survey

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thegreendalegelf

Rivalry Survey

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 28th, 2021, 9:48 am

UMass is doing research into rivalries since 2014. Some have probably already done this survey but I wanted to share it here too.

https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/ ... 1&mbsrc=mb

Essentially assign 100 total points to who your rivals are.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 2):
AggieArmySl7vk

Sl7vk

Re: Rivalry Survey

Post by Sl7vk » January 28th, 2021, 11:31 am

Kind of an interesting exercise. Thought it was interesting how other rivals view us..... and the importance they place on us as a rival.
We've got a ways to go! :lol:
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelf3rdGenAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 28th, 2021, 2:18 pm

when you click on the rival of button after the survey, it shows the University of Utah in the #2 position. I'm sure their fans don't feel that way.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 28th, 2021, 2:34 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 2:18 pm
when you click on the rival of button after the survey, it shows the University of Utah in the #2 position. I'm sure their fans don't feel that way.
we're actually #3 on their list...just edged out by Colorado. Our perception of the rivalry with the U is clearly stronger than theirs is, but we're at least still on their minds. The difference in rivalry perception between us and the U is actually lower than it is for us vs BYU.
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 28th, 2021, 3:15 pm

I was surprised that more of our fans didn't feel that Wyoming was a rivalry. I had Wyoming 3rd behind BYU and Utah but ahead of Boise.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
sstrasser

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 28th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 3:15 pm
I was surprised that more of our fans didn't feel that Wyoming was a rivalry. I had Wyoming 3rd behind BYU and Utah but ahead of Boise.
Thats exactly how I had it. BYU with most, Utah with a good chunk and then a bit to Wyoming and a lesser bit to Boise. Didn't even think about most of those other teams. I would have put SDSU or Nevada if we were talking basketball too.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 28th, 2021, 3:27 pm

I had Utah on my list, but waay at the bottom. The sentiment is there (for me at least), but without any games to feed the rivalry, it is a rivalry that is dying on the vine. I definitely had WY on my list, but I did put them (barely) behind Boise. Mostly because of my disgust for their arrogance. The WYO games mean as much to me, but their fans are more reasonable, so the apparent intensity of the rivalry is just a shade lower IMO.
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
sstrasser

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
I don't know. I've been around Aggie fans after we beat Utah, byu, Boise State and Wyoming and Wyoming doesn't really compare to those 3. Granted, we don't beat boise state very often; as in we have only beat them once in the last 25 years in football, so that matters.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 28th, 2021, 3:33 pm

I put the U of U at zero. Mostly BYU with Boise State in second place. Until we play the U again, I couldn't care less what happens to them.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
sstrasser

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 28th, 2021, 4:24 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
I don't know. I've been around Aggie fans after we beat Utah, byu, Boise State and Wyoming and Wyoming doesn't really compare to those 3. Granted, we don't beat boise state very often; as in we have only beat them once in the last 25 years in football, so that matters.
Well I can tell you that every year I see our team hoist the Jim Bridger trophy in the air, I'm a happy camper.
Way, way, way longer and more interesting rivalry than the Donkies.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
ShowMeAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 28th, 2021, 5:01 pm

I forgot about utah completely. I had byu, Boise, wyoming then colorado state. I put colorado state because we are both ag school, long history, jake doughty hitting the kicker, "what the hell just happened", we didnt play this year. And probably because they beat us in basketball.

In basketball I would have 1. Nevada 2. Sdsu 3. Byu 4a. Wyoming 4b colorado state 4c new mexico state

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 28th, 2021, 5:26 pm

I put BYU, Wyoming, Colorado St in that order. I figure there isn't really a rivalry right now with Boise even though I wish there was. Utah is off the map at this point and wouldn't expect them to care about us at all.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 28th, 2021, 5:52 pm

To me Boise is just the best team in the conference.
If in a decade they are the bottom of the conference I really don't see them any differently than I see our "rivalry" with New Mexico. Being good doesn't make you a rival. It just makes you annoying.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » January 28th, 2021, 7:37 pm

For me personally, I look at Air Force as more of a rival than WYO. the Bridger Rifle is cool and all, but I find that I get far more upset when we lose to the academy than when we drop a game to the pokes.

Maybe it’s because we were so spoiled with an amazing LB Corps those first years in the conference and I just expected we’d keep that edge every year.

Come to think of it, I hate losing to CSU more than WYO too.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 28th, 2021, 9:50 pm

For me Byu was at the top, but CSU is climbing fast for me. If you look at the high level history and recent results, it's pretty even and competitive. Add in basketball and it gets even better.

https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/foot ... versity/54

Go Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 28th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 5:52 pm
To me Boise is just the best team in the conference.
If in a decade they are the bottom of the conference I really don't see them any differently than I see our "rivalry" with New Mexico. Being good doesn't make you a rival. It just makes you annoying.
And that is true. If we beat Boise regularly and they weren't the big dawg on the hill, they wouldn't get the emotional reaction whereas beating byu is always a great thing even a 4-9 byu team in 2017.

It is like the SEC and Alabama. Missouri fans might claim to hate Alabama the most, but only because a win would be so meaningful.

SLCAggie

Post by SLCAggie » January 30th, 2021, 6:58 pm

My points:
BYU-P 60, Boise 15, Col St 5, Wyo 5, Utah 5, SDSU 5, AFA 3, Fresno 2.

The results definitely appear to be dated. My guess is Utah has elevated their rivalries with PAC-12 schools; ASU, Wash, etc. Can’t imagine USU is receiving many points these days.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 30th, 2021, 8:27 pm

I dont care about Wyoming or CSU. I care that they are in our conference but there isn't much of a reason for me to dislike them other than being in our conference. Same thing with UNM. I just dont care about them that much.

Air Force, Boise, BYU, NMSU, UNR, SDSU, SUU, UoU, and Weber all have reasons for me to dislike them. (And I didn't include all of those on my list- only AFA, BYU, BSU and SDSU)

If I cant actually dislike their stupid faces- I cant really consider it anything more than just a generalized conference rival.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 30th, 2021, 8:42 pm

Yeah a win over Air Force means more to me than a win over Wyoming. Because of basketball, Nevada would also be much higher. There are just so many other teams that bring out more passion in me than Wyoming.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 30th, 2021, 10:17 pm

The UofU gets zero points from me. It can’t be a rivalry if they refuse to play.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 30th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Slim80 wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:17 pm
The UofU gets zero points from me. It can’t be a rivalry if they refuse to play.
That makes me hate them more. I used to hate byu more than utah, but that is much harder now with how much utah has disrespected USU over the last decade. There is zero excuse for not playing every year in basketball.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on January 31st, 2021, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Slim80

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 31st, 2021, 7:32 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 8:27 pm
I dont care about Wyoming or CSU. I care that they are in our conference but there isn't much of a reason for me to dislike them other than being in our conference. Same thing with UNM. I just dont care about them that much.

Air Force, Boise, BYU, NMSU, UNR, SDSU, SUU, UoU, and Weber all have reasons for me to dislike them. (And I didn't include all of those on my list- only AFA, BYU, BSU and SDSU)

If I cant actually dislike their stupid faces- I cant really consider it anything more than just a generalized conference rival.
Is it a requirement to dislike a school for it to be a rivalry? I would consider my brothers my biggest rivals and I like them. I even root for them when they are not playing against me. Despite me liking them, I love to beat them.

I respect wyoming and csu, I root for them against nearly anybody. But wins against them are more sweet to me than wins against most of the rest of the conference.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 31st, 2021, 8:09 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 7:32 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

Is it a requirement to dislike a school for it to be a rivalry? I would consider my brothers my biggest rivals and I like them. I even root for them when they are not playing against me. Despite me liking them, I love to beat them.

I respect wyoming and csu, I root for them against nearly anybody. But wins against them are more sweet to me than wins against most of the rest of the conference.

I can see if someone saw those schools as brotherly for them there might be enough passion to stir a rivalry (even a pretty big one). I just personally dont have that affinity for those schools.

Whereas AFA runs that stupid triple option and has a d-bag coach. Or, SDSU who used our chants (which I'm okay with) but then tried to claim that it was stolen from them. They also along with Boise continually try to undercut and big-time the conference. I dont just enjoy winning against those schools. I enjoy seeing them lose to us. I enjoyed seeing their fans go dead silent and all the joy of victory ripped from their little Aztec hearts when Sam Merrill drains a game winner.

Personal differences.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 31st, 2021, 8:23 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 8:09 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 7:32 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

I can see if someone saw those schools as brotherly for them there might be enough passion to stir a rivalry (even a pretty big one). I just personally dont have that affinity for those schools.

Whereas AFA runs that stupid triple option and has a d-bag coach. Or, SDSU who used our chants (which I'm okay with) but then tried to claim that it was stolen from them. They also along with Boise continually try to undercut and big-time the conference. I dont just enjoy winning against those schools. I enjoy seeing them lose to us. I enjoyed seeing their fans go dead silent and all the joy of victory ripped from their little Aztec hearts when Sam Merrill drains a game winner.

Personal differences.
Thats fair.

As for SDSU, I would consider them and nevada pretty big basketball rivalries, maybe even our biggest basketball rivalries. I dont view them as football rivalries.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 31st, 2021, 8:58 am

I would have expected more points from CSU after the cancel incident and the winning on the guy stepping out.

And for me, it asked me about Michigan State. What school did it ask you guys about?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 31st, 2021, 10:32 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 8:58 am
I would have expected more points from CSU after the cancel incident and the winning on the guy stepping out.

And for me, it asked me about Michigan State. What school did it ask you guys about?
Wyoming for me. I'm guessing it digs into any rival deeper that it doesn't perceive as a rival.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » January 31st, 2021, 10:49 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 10:32 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Wyoming for me. I'm guessing it digs into any rival deeper that it doesn't perceive as a rival.
For me it was Utah. It think it looks at the one that is the largest variation from the average.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 31st, 2021, 11:09 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 10:49 am
Sl7vk wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

For me it was Utah. It think it looks at the one that is the largest variation from the average.
It asked me about Louisville lol. Have we ever even played them?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 31st, 2021, 11:42 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 11:09 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Since its for academic research they probably are splitting some people into a control group to get peoples feelings about schools that are not rivals too.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 31st, 2021, 12:02 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 11:09 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

I believe we have never played them.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 31st, 2021, 12:47 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:

It asked me about Boise St. I had them ranked 2nd behind BYU on my points.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 31st, 2021, 1:26 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 5:01 pm
jake doughty hitting the kicker, "what the hell just happened", we didnt play this year.
Those are reasons for them to hate us, not so much reasons for us to hate them.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 31st, 2021, 1:32 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:38 pm
Slim80 wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:17 pm
That makes me hate them more. I used to hate byu more than utah, but that is much harder now with how much utah has disrespected USU over the last decade. There is zero excuse for not playing every year in basketball.
BYU doesn't willingly play us cause they are more gracious than Utah, they willingly play us cause they need to fill out their schedule. The day they get into the Big 12 is the day they quit playing us. They would at least refuse to come to Logan for football, wanting to play us only in Provo which we wouldn't agree to.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 31st, 2021, 4:27 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 1:26 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
jake doughty hitting the kicker, "what the hell just happened", we didnt play this year.
Right but two of those are in my top ten favorite aggie plays, and the other is my number 1 worst memory.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 31st, 2021, 6:07 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 4:27 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 1:26 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Right but two of those are in my top ten favorite aggie plays, and the other is my number 1 worst memory.
Punt fielding?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Full

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic