Interesting GA article.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
kofdog

Interesting GA article.

Post by kofdog » January 25th, 2021, 3:55 pm

If this is already a topic sorry, you can add it to it.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/1/2 ... f-contract

cval

Re: Interesting GA article.

Post by cval » January 25th, 2021, 4:01 pm

I am fine with them not digging too deep in the weeds on this. There is likely more to the story, but it doesn’t need to be out there.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionaggies22

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 25th, 2021, 4:05 pm

cval wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:01 pm
I am fine with them not digging too deep in the weeds on this. There is likely more to the story, but it doesn’t need to be out there.
I second this. Gary is no hero.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 25th, 2021, 4:05 pm

Interesting. I'd heard rumors and such, but glad to know the university didn't have to pay him out. Whether or not he was fired for cause, walked away, or was fired for a poor record and just turned down the rest of his contract is immaterial at this point.

I'm grateful for what he did for USU. I think only a few people could have dragged this program from the depths it was in. I wish Gary 2.0 hadn't happened, but I expect he does too.

I hope he is happy and able to succeed at whatever he does next.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyPIGSKINAGGIEcdaAg

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 25th, 2021, 4:10 pm

The shots Doug Robinson keeps taking over & over at Hartwell are ridiculous. I wish something could be done about it. He has a big time agenda towards hating on Hartwell and keeps writing hit pieces over & over about him because he fired his friend Greg Gensel or something like that.

He has a massive personal bias against him and his trying to toe that line he thinks he has as a "journalist". He wrote this whole thing to try to make Gary look good & Hartwell to look bad.

If you read this Doug-- you're a petty coward.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on January 25th, 2021, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 16):
ViAggieIntermeddleraggies22JSHarveyaggieguy13stewusu98GA_AggiePIGSKINAGGIEAggiefan33AggieArmy and 6 more users

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 25th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Yep, yet another Doug Rob anti-Aggie hit piece
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22JSHarveyGA_Aggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 25th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Haha....good ol' Doug Robinson at it again. He's like a one man Aggie hating machine! What I learned from this article?

1. Robinson still really hates Hartwell. Calling him imperious....LOL. Way to use your Thesaurus Doug. meaning: assuming power or authority without justification; arrogant and domineering.

That is all.

I believe GA is a good man at heart and really does want the best for the kids. His actions have shown that over and over. The problem(s) he faces are his own and personal and I think he deserves to go out however he would like. I am glad that it has been with some level of dignity and privacy afforded him by both Barnes while at OSU and Hartwell at USU. Both AD's have valued Gary the person and protected an otherwise public official from scrutiny and judgement that would come his way at a similar position at another institution.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 5):
BLUERUFiOJSHarvey3rdGenAggieViAggieAggieArmy

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 25th, 2021, 4:19 pm

cval wrote:
I am also fine if no one goes digging on GA, but this isn't just not deep in the weeds, it isn't even in view of the weeds.

If Gary commissioned a PR firm to write an article about him, it wouldn't be this laudatory.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 25th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:18 pm
Haha....good ol' Doug Robinson at it again. He's like a one man Aggie hating machine! What I learned from this article?

1. Robinson still really hates Hartwell. Calling him imperious....LOL. Way to use your Thesaurus Doug. meaning: assuming power or authority without justification; arrogant and domineering.

That is all.

I believe GA is a good man at heart and really does want the best for the kids. His actions have shown that over and over. The problem(s) he faces are his own and personal and I think he deserves to go out however he would like. I am glad that it has been with some level of dignity and privacy afforded him by both Barnes while at OSU and Hartwell at USU. Both AD's have valued Gary the person and protected an otherwise public official from scrutiny and judgement that would come his way at a similar position at another institution.
Has his actions shown that over and over? After how he left Oregon State his head clearly wasn't in the right place for being a Head Coach. In the best interest of the University he should have not taken the job at USU. It was a predictable failure that Hartwell wasn't really on board with.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 25th, 2021, 4:36 pm

I wish whichever one of you old dudes that hurt Doug's feel bads when he was at school up here would apologize. 🙂

His obsession with bashing the Aggies is weird.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 4):
JSHarveyGA_AggieViAggieAggieFBObsession

Go Aggies!

Stewie Griffin

Post by Stewie Griffin » January 25th, 2021, 4:38 pm

This article has more holes in it than a slice of swiss cheese.
Robinson is a mediocre journalist at best. It's obvious that no research was done. This entire article is nothing but his biased opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Stewie Griffin for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyViAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 25th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:28 pm
Aglicious wrote:

That is all.

Has his actions shown that over and over? After how he left Oregon State his head clearly wasn't in the right place for being a Head Coach. In the best interest of the University he should have not taken the job at USU. It was a predictable failure that Hartwell wasn't really on board with.
Not good for University or program's success but my statement was relative to the what was best for the kids. This includes being there for them off the field as well as on. Whether it was personally calling every player to talk to them when he left the first time or immediately donating the money to build the kids a locker room when he came back, he always wanted the best for the kids. Obviously he has his own demons to deal with but some part of walking away from both the OSU and USU job was that he knew he (and the staff he assembled) were failing the kids.

Clearly he shouldn't have taken the job and I wasn't on board with it but I also think his desire to help young men grow was part of the draw and his desire to want to coach again.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » January 25th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Sure, he takes some cheap shots at Hartwell, but to his credit - he is breaking this story over HJ and the Trib. Not that HJ's journalism is that great or the trib cares that much about USU, but both should be embarrassed to get trumped on this story by a paper that cares even less about USU than either of them.
Last edited by Aggie702 on January 25th, 2021, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 25th, 2021, 5:09 pm

Stewie Griffin wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:38 pm
Robinson is a mediocre journalist at best. It's obvious that no research was done. This entire article is nothing but his biased opinion.

He will look for any thing to try and put Utah State in a bad light. And then he runs these up type of Articles basically just praising Gary. I'm not bashing Gary. Gary has done a lot of good things but there is a reason that Oregon state was a debacle and we were a debacle this second time around it all has to do with who is at the head coach. I'm waiting for an article from hin to somehow say that this second time around was all of the University's fault and that is why Gary struggled.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
ViAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 25th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:51 pm
Sure, he takes some cheap shots at Hartwell, but to his credit - he is breaking this story over HJ and the Trib. Not that HJ's journalism is that great or the trib cares that much about USU, but both should be embarrassed to get trumped on this story by a paper that cares even less about USU than either of them.
This is a puff piece. Wisely, the HJ or Trib were not interested in writing something this soft.

Just let the issue die in peace.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
ViAggieapo

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 25th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:45 pm
January 25th, 2021, 4:28 pm
Aglicious wrote:

That is all.

Not good for University or program's success but my statement was relative to the what was best for the kids. This includes being there for them off the field as well as on. Whether it was personally calling every player to talk to them when he left the first time or immediately donating the money to build the kids a locker room when he came back, he always wanted the best for the kids. Obviously he has his own demons to deal with but some part of walking away from both the OSU and USU job was that he knew he (and the staff he assembled) were failing the kids.

Clearly he shouldn't have taken the job and I wasn't on board with it but I also think his desire to help young men grow was part of the draw and his desire to want to coach again.
No doubt he has done good things, but him taking the USU job the second time around wasn't in the best interest of the players at USU nor was the 16 game stint itself. If his priority was helping USU football players grow as people, he could have taken a different role within the athletic department and that probably is what he should have done.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 25th, 2021, 6:19 pm

It is hard for me to get after someone that left major bucks on the table at USU.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 25th, 2021, 11:07 pm

Waaaaah John Heartwel is a jerk.... 😭

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

stang

Post by stang » January 25th, 2021, 11:32 pm

I’ve said this before, but I really believe that Robinson fully turned on USU with the Gensel thing. Gensel is a close personal friend of his, and he was very angry (perhaps rightfully so, I still haven’t heard all the details) and has since done everything he can to paint Hartwell in a negative light. He’s looking out for his friend, and in doing so he’s thrown any speck of journalistic credibility he ever had out the window.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 3):
aggies22AggieArmycdaAg

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 26th, 2021, 12:32 am

Stewie Griffin wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Well, he did text Anderson to ask him about his vacation plans. Does that count as quality research?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 26th, 2021, 12:37 am

cval wrote:
I'm not; spill the beans already! He's a public figure making millions of dollars. If he did something egregious, why should people protect him from scrutiny?

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » January 26th, 2021, 10:01 am

stang wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 11:32 pm
I’ve said this before, but I really believe that Robinson fully turned on USU with the Gensel thing. Gensel is a close personal friend of his, and he was very angry (perhaps rightfully so, I still haven’t heard all the details) and has since done everything he can to paint Hartwell in a negative light. He’s looking out for his friend, and in doing so he’s thrown any speck of journalistic credibility he ever had out the window.
This thing with Robinson goes back at least 20-25 years, I'm guessing the Gensel thing fueled his hatred of USU even more.

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » January 26th, 2021, 10:09 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:37 am
cval wrote:
I'm not; spill the beans already! He's a public figure making millions of dollars. If he did something egregious, why should people protect him from scrutiny?
I think it depends on what he did and since I am not in the know, I will defer to those who do have the information and hope they are making good decisions. If he was drinking too much and has his own personal demons that he is dealing with (one of the rumors) I don't need to be in the loop and wish him the best. If he was doing inappropriate things with students, cheerleaders, wives of other employees (another rumor), it should be brought to light just like any other predator. Once again, I don't have any inside info so I hope if nothing comes out, it is because it was purely a personal thing and not because the dirt was swept under the rug.

As far as the article, I don't like how it makes his decision seem like a selfless act and that he is leaving the money behind out of the goodness of his heart.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 26th, 2021, 10:10 am

I'm glad you guys read the article and let me know what it was so I didn't have to provide more traffic to this idiot.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
Slim80AggieArmy

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 26th, 2021, 11:23 am

oleblu111 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:19 pm
It is hard for me to get after someone that left major bucks on the table at USU.
That is if you believe that narrative. I highly doubt that Gary just takes head coaching jobs and then shortly after taking them quits out of the goodness of his heart in the best interest of where he is working.

Honestly if that is true though, it makes him taking the USU coaching job even more bizarre and something he shouldn't have done. To be a successful D1 coach you have to be all in. I don't want a coach that is just going to quit at the first sign of trouble. If right now you tell me Blake Anderson will quit in 16 games if things aren't going well, I wouldn't want him. No matter what the truth is or what you believe about Gary Andersen 2.0, there is nothing noble or honorable about it.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 26th, 2021, 11:29 am

January 26th, 2021, 11:23 am
oleblu111 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:19 pm
That is if you believe that narrative. I highly doubt that Gary just takes head coaching jobs and then shortly after taking them quits out of the goodness of his heart in the best interest of where he is working.

Honestly if that is true though, it makes him taking the USU coaching job even more bizarre and something he shouldn't have done. To be a successful D1 coach you have to be all in. I don't want a coach that is just going to quit at the first sign of trouble. If right now you tell me Blake Anderson will quit in 16 games if things aren't going well, I wouldn't want him. No matter what the truth is or what you believe about Gary Andersen 2.0, there is nothing noble or honorable about it.
This^. If, for example, donor funds go directly to a fired individual, everybody can honestly say he left Uni funds on the table. If, for example, something like that happened. If.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 26th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 10:01 am
stang wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 11:32 pm
This thing with Robinson goes back at least 20-25 years, I'm guessing the Gensel thing fueled his hatred of USU even more.
It’s more like 30-35 years of hatred. Maybe even longer than that. It depends on how long Doug (Dug) has written for the D News. My wife has heard me cussing Robinson...and Lee Benson for as long as I can remember.
I just looked it up. He has been with the D News since 1978.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » January 26th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Maybe this has been asked already, but is it possible GA did something that would warrant termination for cause that would disqualify him from contract $, and after discussing with employer, decision was made for GA to walk away and "forfeit" the $ as an amicable and reasonable compromise?

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » January 26th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Here's a Yahoo article that looks like it was provoked by the DesNews article.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/for-sec ... 13481.html

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Just as a clarification, Doug Robinson is a columnist, not a journalist. He is paid to write opinions, not report news.

Other than that feel free to write opinions about him.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
USU78

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 26th, 2021, 6:00 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 5:57 pm
Just as a clarification, Doug Robinson is a columnist, not a journalist. He is paid to write opinions, not report news.

Is there still a difference anymore? I thought it was all pretty much TMZ B.S. no matter anymore.

Go Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 26th, 2021, 6:46 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 4:17 pm
Maybe this has been asked already, but is it possible GA did something that would warrant termination for cause that would disqualify him from contract $, and after discussing with employer, decision was made for GA to walk away and "forfeit" the $ as an amicable and reasonable compromise?
Possible.........

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 26th, 2021, 7:12 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:

That is a fair point. His stuff is just so blatantly one sided it’s borderline ridiculous.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 26th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Bougar apologist.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 26th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Slim80 wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 7:12 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

That is a fair point. His stuff is just so blatantly one sided it’s borderline ridiculous.
As I say, if he makes his opinions known, so can anyone else about his work.

Locked Previous topicNext topic