Zahar Vedishev

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: Zahar Vedishev

Post by 2004AG » January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm

Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:36 am
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:10 pm
coolag wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:08 pm
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
That includes Smith then cause in his own words Zapala “is going to be a star”.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

Who else has he “recognized” and then “maximized” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.
I love Craig Smith, so I don’t need nor am I asking for your help.

I think he’s had a few misses in recruiting though and isn’t perfect.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 21st, 2021, 1:46 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
IMO those hoping or counting on Zapala to be any kind of consistent contributor are going to be very disappointed.
Smith has made a living off of recognizing potential and then maximizing it. I'm going to side with Coach on this one.
Queta?

We have won the Mountain West Conference two straight years. We are in first place this year after losing one of the best players in school history. If you don't think these are examples of recognizing and maximizing talent, then I can't help you.

When we start having teams mostly filled with misses, I will start to worry. Like in the later Stew days.

Also, if your hit is Queta, I’ll be more lenient with the misses. Craig has so much goodwill built up with the past two seasons.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » January 21st, 2021, 2:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
Queta?

Name one mid major coach that hasn't missed in recruiting. Even Mark Few has missed on evaluating players like Jesse Wade.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm

All coaches miss in recruiting. If not all coaches would most be successful and never fired. I hate the point that, oh Smith is good, but that is because of Queta. While Queta has been a huge impact, that fact of the matter is Smith brought him in. Look at the other pieces. Bean was a walk on and he has progressed to 2nd team conference player. Porter was a walk on and turned him into a serviceable point guard. Brito was not very good his first 2 years and he turned into a very solid back up. He brought in Anderson who is solid. Anthony is turning out to be a very good addition. Rollie while young is playing really well. Ashworth was not his recruit, but Smith did honor his scholarship and he is turning out to be a really good player. Bairstow is turning into a really serviceable player. Dorius has transformed into a solid back up center.

coolag

Post by coolag » January 21st, 2021, 4:59 pm

This is a thread about Zahar so I don't mean to go off track with the zapala talk. But I stand by my opinion that he will not be a consistent contributor at usu. Will eat crow if he does.

Regulator of Class

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 21st, 2021, 5:03 pm

For those that are saying that Coach Smith missed in recruiting, will you give me some of that that you're smoking? I need it right now. I could really use an upper! :crazy: :bs: :nono:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 5:39 pm

coolag wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 4:59 pm
This is a thread about Zahar so I don't mean to go off track with the zapala talk. But I stand by my opinion that he will not be a consistent contributor at usu. Will eat crow if he does.
There are scouts very familiar with the landscape of the foreign play who think Zapala could be an NBA player.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 5:40 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm
All coaches miss in recruiting. If not all coaches would most be successful and never fired. I hate the point that, oh Smith is good, but that is because of Queta. While Queta has been a huge impact, that fact of the matter is Smith brought him in. Look at the other pieces. Bean was a walk on and he has progressed to 2nd team conference player. Porter was a walk on and turned him into a serviceable point guard. Brito was not very good his first 2 years and he turned into a very solid back up. He brought in Anderson who is solid. Anthony is turning out to be a very good addition. Rollie while young is playing really well. Ashworth was not his recruit, but Smith did honor his scholarship and he is turning out to be a really good player. Bairstow is turning into a really serviceable player. Dorius has transformed into a solid back up center.
I'm sure it doesn't matter but Dorius was Duryeas guy.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm

In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
Queta?

Sure he's had misses. Coach Smith's first recruiting class consisted of Ben Fakira, John Knight, Tauriawn Knight and Neemias Queta.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:49 pm
In the few moments I saw Zahar Vedishev on the floor, he seemed to have some potential. It'd be tough to come to USU from Russia. Even tougher during COVID. He had no chance to really make friends. He probably felt really lonely.

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

To say that Coach Smith missed on him is just ignorant, to say the least.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
MrBiggle

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:

Good luck to him.
Of all the programs in the USA, he had the following players that would speak fluent Russian in the USA with him, Kuba, Max and Szymon. No reason to feel sorry for him. He had his chances.

Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleReal Life Aggie

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm

I don't understand why we're in the midst of a double digit winning streak, on top of the league, and have a team that is super enjoyable to watch, why a freshman leaving that is opening up a scholarship somehow dregs up negatives about recruiting? I'm enjoying everything about this team and this program. I'm sure most feel the same way except...but, but, but we missed on a recruit or two. Seems to me Coach K and Cal might have missed on a few also...or they've forgotten how to coach.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm
I don't understand why we're in the midst of a double digit winning streak, on top of the league, and have a team that is super enjoyable to watch, why a freshman leaving that is opening up a scholarship somehow dregs up negatives about recruiting? I'm enjoying everything about this team and this program. I'm sure most feel the same way except...but, but, but we missed on a recruit or two. Seems to me Coach K and Cal might have missed on a few also...or they've forgotten how to coach.
Great post, lets love where we are at. How we got here and with what players does not matter. The only thing that matters is they were aggies.

AGGIEinIOWA

Zahar Vedishev

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 21st, 2021, 6:53 pm

A coaches job is to recruit the best 13-15 players he can and then let them compete for playing time. Someone has to lose that battle and will not get minutes and eventually either ride the pine or transfer out. That doesn’t mean they were a miss necessarily. It’s just a dynamic that every single team has.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:11 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Good luck to him.

Great point on what should be a lack of language barrier bro! Plus Brock Miller went on his mission to Russia.
I thought it was Abel who served in Russia? Did both of them?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 21st, 2021, 7:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
coolag wrote:
Queta?

Sure he's had misses. Coach Smith's first recruiting class consisted of Ben Fakira, John Knight, Tauriawn Knight and Neemias Queta.
I'm still disappointed that JK3 didn't want to/chose not to keep up with his academics. I loved what be brought to the team.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

coolag

Post by coolag » January 21st, 2021, 8:31 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm
It's sports talk on a sports message board. That's why.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
sam tingey

Regulator of Class

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Good luck to him.

I thought Brock did as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 21st, 2021, 8:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Good luck to him.

I thought Brock did as well? Perhaps I'm mistaken?
Argentina I believe
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 21st, 2021, 10:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Good luck to him.

If you'll notice, I didn't mention language. Having people that speak the same language isn't a cure for loneliness. Being empathetic isn't the same as feeling sorry for someone.
COVID conditions have increased loneliness across the board. It's a credit to our coaches and team that we haven't had more of our new players crack.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
AggieFBObsession

dogie

Post by dogie » February 3rd, 2021, 10:41 pm

dogie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 10:17 am
I’ll start by saying that I think Zahar has some talent and I enjoyed seeing him play in a few games.

He finished his Aggie career at 3-for-11 from three and 4-for-13 overall in 21 total minutes. That is some volume shooting. It’s also a lot of effort to come halfway around the world to play half a game.

To put these numbers in perspective, this is an average number (21) of three point shots per 40 minutes that’s over 2.3 times more than Brock Miller’s.
I have to reply to my own post because I’m still in awe at the volume of three-point shots that Vedishev put up in garbage minutes.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, he finished his brief career at USU taking an average of 21 three-point attempts per 40 minutes. To further put this in context, it is my understanding that Brock Miller holds the school record for most attempts (18) in a single game, although Miller wouldn’t have played a full 40 minutes. But still, no Aggie in any single game has exceeded Zahar’s career average.

This might be an unbreakable career record. It is surpassed only by Bilal Begic’s number of technical fouls per 40 minutes. That number is so large, mathematics can’t express it, given the fact that he earned one technical foul while never appearing in a USU game.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0Real Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic