Coach Smith owns the MWC

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

Coach Smith owns the MWC

Post by Aggie702 » January 20th, 2021, 11:23 am

Only current MWC coach with a winning record vs all MWC teams (note this was posted Jan 16 after the second SDSU win, so his record against CSU is now 5-0):

These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 3):
aggies22USU78cdaAg

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Coach Smith owns the MWC

Post by BigBlueDart » January 20th, 2021, 11:28 am

I saw this before, but digesting it a little more now. The Aztecs are the only team that has managed to get more than 1 win against Smith. That is just crazy good.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 20th, 2021, 11:35 am

He's so good. I just hope Hartwell is still here when it's time to pick Smith's replacement. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Smith win at the highest levels.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 20th, 2021, 11:43 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 11:35 am
He's so good. I just hope Hartwell is still here when it's time to pick Smith's replacement. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Smith win at the highest levels.
Yeah as much as I love Smith, he gives me serious Urban Meyer and Nate Oats vibes where he is going to win national championships. I'm just enjoying all the moments we got with him.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 20th, 2021, 11:47 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
I don't see a bigger job for Hartwell anytime soon. I think AD's get poached when they have great football seasons not basketball seasons. Barnes was poached to a bigger program because he turned around Utah State football. Considering that we had a 1-6 record in football this year, and the fiasco that happened with Maile. I just don't see Hartwell getting a bigger job, if anything maybe a lateral job. Now Craig Smith is a different story but we'll see.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieaggies22Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 20th, 2021, 11:55 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 11:47 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I don't see a bigger job for Hartwell anytime soon. I think AD's get poached when they have great football seasons not basketball seasons. Barnes was poached to a bigger program because he turned around Utah State football. Considering that we had a 1-6 record in football this year, and the fiasco that happened with Maile. I just don't see Hartwell getting a bigger job, if anything maybe a lateral job. Now Craig Smith is a different story but we'll see.
I could see that. I doubt he would be a hot commodity at an SEC school right now. The first question would immediately go to football. If Anderson turns the program around, he might leave then.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 20th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I don't think too many higher schools would take Hartwell right now. Especially after this Maile/Cockett fiasco. Not that it was Hartwell's fault, but I think he could have done a better job at informing Cockett what the meeting was going to be about.

I love coach Smith, i hope he stays for a while. I can listen to him all day. He also puts a really cohesive, fun and exciting team on the floor.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 20th, 2021, 12:19 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
One name. Eric Peterson. That is all.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
Real Life Aggie3rdGenAggieAggie in BoisebluegrousecdaAg

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 20th, 2021, 12:31 pm

If a a head coaching position opens up at a place like Iowa State or Iowa I would say he's gone right away. He is definitely more of a small town type of guy.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » January 20th, 2021, 1:53 pm

I will be devastated if/when Smith leaves us. But to be honest, he is probably meant for bigger better things. I can definitely see him climbing the ladder to a big time blue blood program some day.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 11:55 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I could see that. I doubt he would be a hot commodity at an SEC school right now. The first question would immediately go to football. If Anderson turns the program around, he might leave then.
Yes. Bigger schools want to see how your hires went before they start considering you. If Blake Anderson and his so-called Air Raid type offense really takes off, and we have a 2018 type season again especially back-to-back 2018 type seasons, then I could see Hartwell being gone to a P5 program.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 20th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 2:21 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 11:55 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Yes. Bigger schools want to see how your hires went before they start considering you. If Blake Anderson and his so-called Air Raid type offense really takes off, and we have a 2018 type season again especially back-to-back 2018 type seasons, then I could see Hartwell being gone to a P5 program.
Yep. Many of us (including me) love Hartwell for bringing in Craig Smith while we don't fully blame him for Gary 2.0 and all the chaos that caused. That wouldn't be how others nationally saw it. They would just see a football program in the dumpster. We don't have to worry about Hartwell going anywhere until our football program gets going again.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 20th, 2021, 3:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 12:19 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
If this happens, what are the chances of Spencer Nelson coming back as an assistant?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 20th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
If this happens, what are the chances of Spencer Nelson coming back as an assistant?
I have zero idea? Typically coaches want to work with someone they have worked with in the past.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 20th, 2021, 4:14 pm

I think the athletic department needs to find some way to pay him. I get that we can't stave off the highest of the blue bloods, but we might be able to stave off the also-rans of the P5. We need to find a way to make it less of a no-brainer for him. Utah State is a good job. We should never be afraid of losing a coach to a non-power conference school, and we shouldn't lose a coach to a perennial bottom-dwelling power conference school. It obviously isn't Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, etc., but we should be able to keep coaches from bolting for the likes of Washington St., DePaul, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, etc. Pay him enough to make him think twice before bolting.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiOReal Life Aggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:14 pm
I think the athletic department needs to find some way to pay him. I get that we can't stave off the highest of the blue bloods, but we might be able to stave off the also-rans of the P5. We need to find a way to make it less of a no-brainer for him. Utah State is a good job. We should never be afraid of losing a coach to a non-power conference school, and we shouldn't lose a coach to a perennial bottom-dwelling power conference school. It obviously isn't Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, etc., but we should be able to keep coaches from bolting for the likes of Washington St., DePaul, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, etc. Pay him enough to make him think twice before bolting.
You can be sure a contract extension will be or has been offered if you do not hear anything about that by late spring, that of course means he is making himself more attractive to others, one major problem not addressed is where is the money going to come from to pay him. Given the limited money generated with the Spectrum with 6,000 seats for sale as well as no real suite revenue. A sizeable increase is not likely. I wish USU could offer him a $1 million dollar contract with a 5 year guarantee, and a 5million buyout. I know that the desire is there but I doubt the money is. I don't not think the University should subsidize the budget more than they already do,.It is time for fans to step up.

cval

Post by cval » January 20th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Good Grief. Are we really speculating on who our assistants might be if our coach leaves when we have seen nothing to suggest he is even considering leaving?

Who are we?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 20th, 2021, 4:57 pm

cval wrote:Good Grief. Are we really speculating on who our assistants might be if our coach leaves when we have seen nothing to suggest he is even considering leaving?

Who are we?
We are a paranoid bunch, that’s for sure.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 4:36 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
You can be sure a contract extension will be or has been offered if you do not hear anything about that by late spring, that of course means he is making himself more attractive to others, one major problem not addressed is where is the money going to come from to pay him. Given the limited money generated with the Spectrum with 6,000 seats for sale as well as no real suite revenue. A sizeable increase is not likely. I wish USU could offer him a $1 million dollar contract with a 5 year guarantee, and a 5million buyout. I know that the desire is there but I doubt the money is. I don't not think the University should subsidize the budget more than they already do,.It is time for fans to step up.
Obviously, that is the rub. I don't know where the money comes from, but I hope we can find a way.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
oleblu111

Formerly TulsAGGIE

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 20th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Obviously, that is the rub. I don't know where the money comes from, but I hope we can find a way.
The way for me is to donate to the Wayne Estes fund.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » January 20th, 2021, 6:30 pm

How does Gonzaga do it? I’ve spent a lot of time in their campus and work with some of their faculty, but can’t figure out how they are so good at keeping Few. IMO, Logan is a far nicer city than Spokane. further, we have a nicer campus.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 20th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I heard Dell Loy Hansen just got a few hundred million dollars. Maybe he is willing to put that money to another sports team...

sneed

Post by sneed » January 20th, 2021, 6:56 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:How does Gonzaga do it? I’ve spent a lot of time in their campus and work with some of their faculty, but can’t figure out how they are so good at keeping Few. IMO, Logan is a far nicer city than Spokane. further, we have a nicer campus.
They don’t have football.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 20th, 2021, 6:58 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 6:30 pm
How does Gonzaga do it? I’ve spent a lot of time in their campus and work with some of their faculty, but can’t figure out how they are so good at keeping Few. IMO, Logan is a far nicer city than Spokane. further, we have a nicer campus.
First off, it's the only game in town. The nearest pro franchise is on the other side of the state. No real competition from Eastern Washington, Wazoo, or Idaho. Local international airport. No football to divvy up salaries. And year to year competing on an elite level, which just keeps more money hopping on the bandwagon. And really why would Few ever leave? He's got the whole town, most of the state, and the conference eating out of his hand.

Get rid of Utah, BYU, the Jazz and football and USU could have the same thing. Oh...and build an international airport.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
ChowderAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 20th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Yeah I obviously hope we can keep him as long as possible, but I am also just a realist and going to enjoy the time he is here.

The one place I would be mad at him for going is if he took the Utah job. I doubt it happens, but they will have an opening after this year and if they were smart he would be on their list. If he is smart, he will tell them what Stew Morrill told them.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 20th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Probably more likely to get his portfolio in order than coach with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 21st, 2021, 11:49 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 9:04 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Well there are $3 million reasons that Few remains at Gonzaga if we could pay $1 million plus I believe we could hold on to Smith for a long time.

Dell Loy Hansen wants to invest in sports that give him a chance of a money return.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » January 21st, 2021, 12:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 11:49 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Well there are $3 million reasons that Few remains at Gonzaga if we could pay $1 million plus I believe we could hold on to Smith for a long time.

Dell Loy Hansen wants to invest in sports that give him a chance of a money return.
Or that won't hold him to basic ethical standards, apparently.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Hail the Utah Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 21st, 2021, 10:36 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Huh? Spencer has been doing finance/consulting the past three years. I would hope our program has elevated enough to people in the coaching profession.

Hail Aggies!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 25th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Kill this thread... it should die

These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
GA_Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 25th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Craig Smith, 0-2 since the “Craig Smith owns the MWC” thread was posted.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic