Roddy

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Roddy

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 19th, 2021, 2:01 pm

Who do we put on Roddy? Marco, Justin, or someone else? The dude is a beast.

He is listed on the roster as a 6'5", 255 pound (not Matt Mitchell kind of weight) guard/forward but also plays center sometimes. He's averaging 15.8 points and 9.3 rebounds per game.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports ... 557606002/

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

treesap32

Re: Roddy

Post by treesap32 » January 19th, 2021, 3:07 pm

At first glance I thought this thread was about Roddy Anderson... But I guess he spelled it Roddie...

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 19th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Who do we put on Roddy? Marco, Justin, or someone else? The dude is a beast.

He is listed on the roster as a 6'5", 255 pound (not Matt Mitchell kind of weight) guard/forward but also plays center sometimes. He's averaging 15.8 points and 9.3 rebounds per game.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports ... 557606002/
Probably bean and Anderson. I do think they might play him at center sometimes but I’m not certain. I’ve been wondering how they might use him considering we have queta. Could they try At center to pull queta away from the basket?

But both he and stevens are playing like first team guys.

AGGIEinIOWA

Roddy

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 19th, 2021, 3:13 pm

I think I’d start Bean on him and see how it goes. Bean has a good combination of strength and size and athleticism. Bean also has the grit and determination to be physical with him. Maybe Fonz guards him some too. If he hurts us by pulling them out to the perimeter and then driving past them, I’d switch and have Marco cover him.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Yes - Queta is the great equalizer under the basket. Roddy isn't going to be able to simply back Bean or Anderson down and shoot layups. Queta will be lurking on the weak side to help at the rim. Not having Carvacho to worry about makes Queta's job of doubling the post much easier.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
slcaggAggie in Boise

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 19th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm
Yes - Queta is the great equalizer under the basket. Roddy isn't going to be able to simply back Bean or Anderson down and shoot layups. Queta will be lurking on the weak side to help at the rim. Not having Carvacho to worry about makes Queta's job of doubling the post much easier.
Also add to the fact that their starting center is a fresh averaging 5 pts per game.

Roddy can shoot the three though.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 19th, 2021, 3:22 pm

If he plays center, we better insure Queta gets the ball in his hands EVERY offensive possession
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseslcaggReal Life Aggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 19th, 2021, 3:32 pm

This is going to be a fun game to watch with some of the mismatches. It will be interesting to see how Ashworth does on Moore.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 3:32 pm
This is going to be a fun game to watch with some of the mismatches. It will be interesting to see how Ashworth does on Moore.
Agreed - Stevens and Moore are both elite three-point shooters (47.9% and 48.8%, respectively, and Roddy can hit from outside (35%) as well. Roddy also brings a power game in the post that we will have to deal with. I don't see a lot of zone being played tonight by USU - it will be almost exclusive man-on-man defense. Queta will be allowed to sag and protect the rim, but the perimeter players will have their work cut out for them switching off screens and defending the three-pointers. CSU shoots 39.2% from three as a team - one of the best in the country. Big game for Worsester, Ashworth, Anthony, and Miller coming up tonight.

I almost forgot Thistlewood - his percentage is down this year, but he can hit from downtown as well. He gave us fits last year.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 19th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 3:40 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 3:32 pm
Agreed - Stevens and Moore are both elite three-point shooters (47.9% and 48.8%, respectively, and Roddy can hit from outside (35%) as well. Roddy also brings a power game in the post that we will have to deal with. I don't see a lot of zone being played tonight by USU - it will be almost exclusive man-on-man defense. Queta will be allowed to sag and protect the rim, but the perimeter players will have their work cut out for them switching off screens and defending the three-pointers. CSU shoots 39.2% from three as a team - one of the best in the country. Big game for Worsester, Ashworth, Anthony, and Miller coming up tonight.

I almost forgot Thistlewood - his percentage is down this year, but he can hit from downtown as well. He gave us fits last year.
Bruh, that's every night, haha.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 19th, 2021, 5:46 pm

If they play small ball with Roddy at center and he is outside and hitting 3’s, Queta will have to move out to guard him and I fear this will start racking up fouls on Queta as Roddy then drives on him. I don’t think Roddy can post Queta up effectively, maybe once or twice being successful but Queta will get the best of that. But if he gets into foul trouble and has to sit, then Roddy will move inside and start posting up. Then we will have troubles.

On the flip side, if they do that then Queta will have a huge height advantage on offense. They will certainly double team when he gets the ball. So Queta will need to make a fast move when he gets the ball before the double gets there or he will need to pass and our guards need to hit the open 3 to make them pay. We are not a great 3pt shooting team though so we might not be able to make them stop doubling.

Likes been said, this game will be interesting on the matchups they present. Getting close to game time!

GO AGGIES!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic