Scouting CSU

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Scouting CSU

Post by Aggie84025 » January 16th, 2021, 9:51 pm

CSU will be a really tough match up this coming week. They are playing at an extremely high level right now. Couple of things that worry me. Their 3 point shooting is best in the league. Stevens their point guard is really really good. He is almost 50% from 3 and is also dishing out 6-7 assists a game. He will be the key to stop. Roddy is a flat out animal. He is only 6'6', but has the body of a full back in football. He can also shoot the ball really well including the 3 point shot. He will be a load to handle. We expended a lot energy the last 2 games and I hope the team is focused because CSU is dang good team.

To me the keys to the game is our 3 pt. defense against them. You cannot let them get going from the 3. On offense we need to not turn the ball over. In the 2nd half today we only turned the ball over 4 times and scored 42 points in the half which is really good against SDSU. In addition we need to get Queta going down low early, i think he can have a big game offensively. Excited to be going to the game on Tuesday.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

scotlandog

Re: Scouting CSU

Post by scotlandog » January 16th, 2021, 10:17 pm

I think the keys for defense are very similar to what we just saw in SDSU, like you said, defending the 3. SDSU is also a high volume, high % 3 shooting team and we really performed pretty well. Gomez getting the green light after the injury to Mitchell and the early fouls to Schakel surprised us but we responded well and adjusted.

They don’t have the height we have and I think that will make a difference in this game. Their guards are shorter and very good 3pt shooters but this should also allow us to have Ashworth on the court with no defensive liability and he is also a great 3pt shooter. They should be able to offset for no net loss/gain.

Queta though should again be the difference maker on offense and our overall approach on defense. Just like we did against SDSU we shadow Thistlewood and Stevens, forcing the game inside and into Queta. Push out onto the 3pt line. Roddy is really strong but he gives up so much inside to Queta that that strength will not allow him to just take over. Bean should be primarily on Roddy leaving Queta free to come block the shot. Moors is not a offensive threat so Queta should have a monster day on both ends of the court.

If we can keep Miller and Ashworth hot from deep, our offense will really open up and allow Queta less double teams with his good passing.

I’m excited that we still have the ability to add to this team. If Shulga and Vedischez can continue to improve enough in the scheme, their shooting abilities could really add more firepower to an already dangerous team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » January 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm

The key thing with Colorado State is really the trio of guards (Roddy, Moore, and Stevens). St. Mary's held them to 33 points because they shut down the trio.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 16th, 2021, 10:41 pm

SLB wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm
The key thing with Colorado State is really the trio of guards (Roddy, Moore, and Stevens). St. Mary's held them to 33 points because they shut down the trio.
It was also their first or second game and st Mary’s had been playing about 3 weeks. Game might be different now.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 16th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 9:51 pm
CSU will be a really tough match up this coming week. They are playing at an extremely high level right now. Couple of things that worry me. Their 3 point shooting is best in the league. Stevens their point guard is really really good. He is almost 50% from 3 and is also dishing out 6-7 assists a game. He will be the key to stop. Roddy is a flat out animal. He is only 6'6', but has the body of a full back in football. He can also shoot the ball really well including the 3 point shot. He will be a load to handle. We expended a lot energy the last 2 games and I hope the team is focused because CSU is dang good team.

To me the keys to the game is our 3 pt. defense against them. You cannot let them get going from the 3. On offense we need to not turn the ball over. In the 2nd half today we only turned the ball over 4 times and scored 42 points in the half which is really good against SDSU. In addition we need to get Queta going down low early, i think he can have a big game offensively. Excited to be going to the game on Tuesday.
You mention roddy and football. If I remember correctly he is from Minnesota and he had several big 10 schools after him as a TE.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 16th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Csu is very good. I am interested in how they try to negate queta. Queta should have a hay day on this team with offense. I wonder if on offense csu will try to have 5 shooters and play small to keep queta away from the rim.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 16th, 2021, 11:15 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 10:41 pm
SLB wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 10:37 pm
It was also their first or second game and st Mary’s had been playing about 3 weeks. Game might be different now.
My point was about the fact that if you shut down the trio that you shut down the CSU offense. Look at the stats with Roddy, Moore, and Stevens then look at the rest of the Colorado State team, you would see what I see.
The trio combine Per game stats
42.5 points per game
11.1 assists per game
16.4 rebounds per game
4 steals per game
.9 blocks per game
All 3 shoot the ball around 50% from the field while being good from 3 and at the charity stripe.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
slcagg

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 16th, 2021, 11:39 pm

The keys:
- Queta being Queta
- Bean and Anthony getting off the schneid
- Miller continuing with his 40% 3-point shooting
- Ashcroft continuing to do what we’ve seen him do
- Worster not turning the ball over a bunch

All that = Aggie 10 point win

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 17th, 2021, 8:44 am

utaggies wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 11:39 pm
The keys:
- Queta being Queta

Ashcroft? Is this an inside joke, an auto spell thing, or a memory thing? Just wondering because I’ve seen the incorrect name a few times lately.
Last edited by Pacobag on January 17th, 2021, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 17th, 2021, 10:05 am

The fact that they beat SDSU on their court worries me on this one. I felt like we have a similar team to SDSU in stye of play, which means CSU probably has a winning lineup or style of play that could beat us at home too.

I think the difference will be if CSU’s 3pt guys shoot better than SDSU’s.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 17th, 2021, 10:37 am

slcagg wrote:Csu is very good. I am interested in how they try to negate queta. Queta should have a hay day on this team with offense. I wonder if on offense csu will try to have 5 shooters and play small to keep queta away from the rim.
It’s a double edged sword. If they do go small, Queta will eat them alive on offense. If they go with a traditional center, Queta will eat them alive on defense. Either way, Queta will eat them alive. I like our chances of another sweep.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 17th, 2021, 11:13 am

Yes CSU has smaller guards, however they are lighting quick and lighting fast, it will be hard to contain them. CSU plays much different then SDSU, more uptempo to take advantage of their athletic ability. Their defense will not be as good, but their offense will be much better. We should be concerned.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 17th, 2021, 11:18 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:05 am
The fact that they beat SDSU on their court worries me on this one. I felt like we have a similar team to SDSU in stye of play, which means CSU probably has a winning lineup or style of play that could beat us at home too.

Probably right. My opinion is that SDSU is a better team though. SDSU is one of the few teams in the league that doesn’t really have size disadvantage to us as well. With that said csu is very good and could very well beat us.

One thing interesting thing about csu is their main contributors are soph and freshman. If they keep those guys in Fort Collins they are going to be very good the next few years.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 17th, 2021, 11:21 am

Pacobag wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:44 am
utaggies wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 11:39 pm
The keys:
- Queta being Queta

Ashcroft? Is this an inside joke, an auto spell thing, or a memory thing? Just wondering because I’ve seen the incorrect name a few times lately.
Brain fart on my part.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
Pacobag

logansdad2

Post by logansdad2 » January 17th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Comparing the two lineups:
Isaiah Stevens slightly better then Wooster
Marco Anthony = to Moore
Miller’s > Slightly better then Thistlewood
Bean = to Roddy
Quetta much > than Moors
Our bench is much much better than theirs. I think our coaching is slightly better than theirs. They should be very good fairly close games with our experience and slight advantages giving us the edge
These users thanked the author logansdad2 for the post:
cdaAg

Chod

Post by Chod » January 17th, 2021, 2:09 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 10:42 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 9:51 pm

You mention roddy and football. If I remember correctly he is from Minnesota and he had several big 10 schools after him as a TE.
I think I remember hearing that Rollie Worster was once a QB in High School and had like 3 million yards or something like that his senior season. We should let Coach A know that we have a QB.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 17th, 2021, 4:36 pm

logansdad2 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:11 pm
Marco Anthony = to Moore
Bean = to Roddy
Quetta much > than Moors
Our bench is much much better than theirs. I think our coaching is slightly better than theirs. They should be very good fairly close games with our experience and slight advantages giving us the edge
I quite like this review and I'm quite similar to you in perspective. My one disagreement is Bean and Roddy. Bean is second-to-none in hustle. Aside from that, I think Roddy has him beat in every other category. I love Bean, but think he gets a lot of leeway in criticisms compared to some of our other players. Against SDSU, he was 3-16 shooting for the series. Obviously, he's been a more consistent scorer on the season as a whole, but against more athletic teams, his offensive production drops. On the season, he's 3-17 from 3. He should quit taking them. Roddy is a consistent scorer who's good in the paint. He's probably around 30% from 3 (not great by any stretch but probably twice as good as Bean this year). Roddy has a slight edge as a rebounder. Bean is slightly quicker, Roddy is significantly stronger. I'd like to see Bean not get pushed around by him again this year. We'll see what happens. Should be an excellent couple of games.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 17th, 2021, 4:43 pm

cdaAg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:36 pm
logansdad2 wrote:
Marco Anthony = to Moore
Bean = to Roddy
Quetta much > than Moors
I quite like this review and I'm quite similar to you in perspective. My one disagreement is Bean and Roddy. Bean is second-to-none in hustle. Aside from that, I think Roddy has him beat in every other category. I love Bean, but think he gets a lot of leeway in criticisms compared to some of our other players. Against SDSU, he was 3-16 shooting for the series. Obviously, he's been a more consistent scorer on the season as a whole, but against more athletic teams, his offensive production drops. On the season, he's 3-17 from 3. He should quit taking them. Roddy is a consistent scorer who's good in the paint. He's probably around 30% from 3 (not great by any stretch but probably twice as good as Bean this year). Roddy has a slight edge as a rebounder. Bean is slightly quicker, Roddy is significantly stronger. I'd like to see Bean not get pushed around by him again this year. We'll see what happens. Should be an excellent couple of games.
Both stevens and roddy are playing like first team all league guys this year.

With that said nobody in this game is as dominant as queta can be.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 4:44 pm

cdaAg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:36 pm
logansdad2 wrote:
Marco Anthony = to Moore
Bean = to Roddy
Quetta much > than Moors
I agree with your assessment. I wish bean would stop taking 3's or at least take them when the game is close. He has a good mid range jumper, but his 3 is not there yet. Roddy is a beast and will be fun matchup.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » January 17th, 2021, 4:52 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:

The difference might be a Coach Smith variable. Never bet agains that man!!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 4:54 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 4:52 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

The difference might be a Coach Smith variable. Never bet agains that man!!
I second that. I just look back at last year and the way we started conference play with a bunch of losses. Fast forward to the end of the year and he had that team playing awesome.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 17th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Medved is a good coach. He did a very good job at Drake and Furman and has CSU on the right track. Ironically, he and Craig were on Mile's staff at CSU and both applied for the job when Eustachy left (or was asked to leave). To our good fortune they hired Medved and the USU job opened. I think it was a good turn of events for both Smith and USU.

I like our matchups as I think Marco can limit Stevens, Queta should own the paint, our bench is deeper and there isn't a better coach in the MWC than our guy.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Medved is a good coach. He did a very good job at Drake and Furman and has CSU on the right track. Ironically, he and Craig were on Mile's staff at CSU and both applied for the job when Eustachy left (or was asked to leave). To our good fortune they hired Medved and the USU job opened. I think it was a good turn of events for both Smith and USU.

I like our matchups as I think Marco can limit Stevens, Queta should own the paint, our bench is deeper and there isn't a better coach in the MWC than our guy.
Medved is a really good coach. Both teams made excellent hires. CSU is good this year, but has the potential to be really good next year with their whole team returning. I think the Aggies got the edge in who is the better coach.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 17th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I think CSU will try to foul Quetta out. Look for them to go right at him. That being said I have not watched a single CSU game this year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 7:00 pm

nswaggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 6:37 pm
I think CSU will try to foul Quetta out. Look for them to go right at him. That being said I have not watched a single CSU game this year.
I watched the last 5 minutes of both games against UNLV. They made clutch plays in both games. They have won a few close games.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
nswaggie

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 17th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 7:00 pm
nswaggie wrote:
I watched the last 5 minutes of both games against UNLV. They made clutch plays in both games. They have won a few close games.
For some reason I thought this game was at CSU. Glad we get them at home. I was hoping for a split before I realized it was a home game, now I’m wanting a sweep. I think the home court advantage is pretty good for us simply because most games in the conference don’t have any fans and the visitors have to adjust even though it is only 1600 +/-. It has to be a mental adjustment for visiting teams I would think based on playing mostly in mostly quiet arenas.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 7:20 pm

nswaggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 7:00 pm
nswaggie wrote:
For some reason I thought this game was at CSU. Glad we get them at home. I was hoping for a split before I realized it was a home game, now I’m wanting a sweep. I think the home court advantage is pretty good for us simply because most games in the conference don’t have any fans and the visitors have to adjust even though it is only 1600 +/-. It has to be a mental adjustment for visiting teams I would think based on playing mostly in mostly quiet arenas.
You're absolutely correct the home-court can definitely make an advantage in these two games. If for sure helps against San Diego State as well. It's only 15% or so but it can definitely help and give the team some motivation especially when a run is coming on.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 17th, 2021, 7:35 pm

Broadcasters for both SDSU games made multiple mentions of the crowd noise given the number of empty seats. Not sure how big it is, but there is a home court advantage in the Spectrum - even this year.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
USU78

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 17th, 2021, 10:33 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 7:35 pm
Broadcasters for both SDSU games made multiple mentions of the crowd noise given the number of empty seats. Not sure how big it is, but there is a home court advantage in the Spectrum - even this year.
Not sure it affects the players but I think for sure it affects the refs.

Locked Previous topicNext topic