Verdict on Cockett to be released Friday

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 13th, 2021, 1:41 pm

It will occur behind closed doors, press conference to follow. No one in the know will divulge anything, so there is no inside information on this.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-stat ... president/

Sl7vk

Re: Verdict on Cockett to be released Friday

Post by Sl7vk » January 13th, 2021, 2:02 pm

This should be super interesting.
Seems like this is ahead of schedule? If that's the case I would lean towards no fault being assessed and we can all just move on.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 13th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Just heard that on the radio.

Alrighty then.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 13th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Unless she has sort of history of this kind of stuff, or had some ongoing and underlying personnel issues that we were not aware of, I'm guessing she keeps her job.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 13th, 2021, 2:58 pm

We have a dozen threads saying this, but I can't imagine with full context, that she said what she was accused of saying.

Maybe she did. I'm glad we'll find out.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 13th, 2021, 4:36 pm

Even if she said what the explanation was, it isn't ok. She blew it. I hate to say it because I don't think there is a discrimination problem, at least I hope not. But if I did a similar thing in a hiring situation at my job and it let to this kind of a black cloud, I would be gone.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 13th, 2021, 4:39 pm

GeoAg wrote:Even if she said what the explanation was, it isn't ok. She blew it. I hate to say it because I don't think there is a discrimination problem, at least I hope not. But if I did a similar thing in a hiring situation at my job and it let to this kind of a black cloud, I would be gone.
Yeah that’s basically how I feel. Whether or not there’s a discrimination issue really doesn’t matter one bit. In a position like that, or really most jobs, you don’t have the luxury of saying idiotic things. Every common friend I have with her only has great things to say about her, so I hope it turns out she’s not guilty of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 13th, 2021, 5:19 pm

Good, glad we could get this over with quickly. Regardless of the outcome it’s the only part of the 2020 season that remains. Time to rip the bandaid off and move on

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 13th, 2021, 5:39 pm

I hope she is cleared and sticks around.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post (total 2):
ViAggiebluegrouse

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 13th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Good news.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 13th, 2021, 6:20 pm

I thought there was supposed to be a statement last Tuesday... I have been wondering what has been going on.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 13th, 2021, 6:33 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 6:20 pm
I thought there was supposed to be a statement last Tuesday... I have been wondering what has been going on.

Same! Last week I heard the exact same thing in the radio.

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 13th, 2021, 7:05 pm

This and Frank's new job get announced on the same day.

Pure coincidence, I'm sure.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 13th, 2021, 7:10 pm

USU78 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 7:05 pm
This and Frank's new job get announced on the same day.

Pure coincidence, I'm sure.
Or is it.......?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » January 13th, 2021, 9:56 pm

My guess? Dr. Crockett said something along the lines of this:

"We appreciate you athletes and how you've represented the school in a uniquely challenging year. We appreciate your sacrifices. We acknowledge the ringing endorsement and character witness you've given Coach Maile. He's been a steadying influence and a bright spot here for 14 years as a player and coach and is a true Aggie. Coach M is a strong candidate for the head coaching position. He's done everything that's been asked of him."

"That said, hiring a head coach with the program in it's current state is a monumental challenge and involves many considerations. The athletic director and I have to objectively look at all the candidates and their body of work. We have to weigh everyone that's ready, willing and able to become the next head football coach at USU. We wouldn't be doing our jobs if we simply hired someone because he's local due to his current affiliation with the program, or factors like his race and religion."

Dr. Crockett has navigated her 30-yr career too well to trip up like the players stated. Just a hunch. She may have been responding to arguments made by players that Coach M's hiring would continue the Poly, LDS, Utah pipeline, so she may have been directly responding in that context. We'll see.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 13th, 2021, 11:02 pm

1TruAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 9:56 pm

"We appreciate you athletes and how you've represented the school in a uniquely challenging year. We appreciate your sacrifices. We acknowledge the ringing endorsement and character witness you've given Coach Maile. He's been a steadying influence and a bright spot here for 14 years as a player and coach and is a true Aggie. Coach M is a strong candidate for the head coaching position. He's done everything that's been asked of him."

"That said, hiring a head coach with the program in it's current state is a monumental challenge and involves many considerations. The athletic director and I have to objectively look at all the candidates and their body of work. We have to weigh everyone that's ready, willing and able to become the next head football coach at USU. We wouldn't be doing our jobs if we simply hired someone because he's local due to his current affiliation with the program, or factors like his race and religion."

Dr. Crockett has navigated her 30-yr career too well to trip up like the players stated. Just a hunch. She may have been responding to arguments made by players that Coach M's hiring would continue the Poly, LDS, Utah pipeline, so she may have been directly responding in that context. We'll see.
My guess too...and like I said, you can't say that. She has to know better.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 13th, 2021, 11:51 pm

GeoAg wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:02 pm
1TruAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 9:56 pm

You're wrong. this statement here is clean and harmless. not even Farrakhan could find fault with this one. unfortunately, it probably wasn't as clean as this. which is why we're in this mess...

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 14th, 2021, 1:07 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 4:39 pm
GeoAg wrote:Even if she said what the explanation was, it isn't ok. She blew it. I hate to say it because I don't think there is a discrimination problem, at least I hope not. But if I did a similar thing in a hiring situation at my job and it let to this kind of a black cloud, I would be gone.
Yeah that’s basically how I feel. Whether or not there’s a discrimination issue really doesn’t matter one bit. In a position like that, or really most jobs, you don’t have the luxury of saying idiotic things. Every common friend I have with her only has great things to say about her, so I hope it turns out she’s not guilty of it.

How do you know she said anything idiotic? Nobody has been told what she actually said.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 14th, 2021, 3:22 am

So, if it comes out as a big nothing. Does Frank look stupid for hiring an attorney?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 14th, 2021, 7:13 am

GeoAg wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 4:36 pm
Even if she said what the explanation was, it isn't ok. She blew it. I hate to say it because I don't think there is a discrimination problem, at least I hope not. But if I did a similar thing in a hiring situation at my job and it let to this kind of a black cloud, I would be gone.
I just don't know how you can say "it isn't ok" and "she blew it", without even knowing what she said.

:headscratch: :headscratch:
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
NowhereLandAggiebluegrouse

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 14th, 2021, 7:22 am

bluegrouse wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 4:39 pm

How do you know she said anything idiotic? Nobody has been told what she actually said.
So are you unable to read the part where GeoAg said if? And then my comment that was agreeing with his? So very very clearly talking about, IF she said what it’s been rumored that she said.

If she did that, it’s idiotic.
If she didn’t, it’s not.

Not sure how you missed that.

These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 14th, 2021, 7:26 am

GUS wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 3:22 am
So, if it comes out as a big nothing. Does Frank look stupid for hiring an attorney?
Probably. And I like Frank.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 14th, 2021, 7:29 am

2004AG wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 7:13 am
GeoAg wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 4:36 pm
I just don't know how you can say "it isn't ok" and "she blew it", without even knowing what she said.

:headscratch: :headscratch:
I am saying if she said what it is rumored she said. And frankly if she mentioned anything religious or racial at all. If she didn't, my comment wouldn't apply

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 14th, 2021, 7:33 am

GUS wrote:
Do we even know if he hired an attorney?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 14th, 2021, 8:37 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 7:33 am
GUS wrote:
Do we even know if he hired an attorney?
One of the articles stated he had retained counsel, yes.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 14th, 2021, 8:46 am

Ah, gotcha. I missed that part. Him getting another, presumably better paying job fast should minimize some of the case value.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 14th, 2021, 8:54 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 8:46 am
Ah, gotcha. I missed that part. Him getting another, presumably better paying job fast should minimize some of the case value.
Or they settled quickly? Who knows. I wish him the best and want to move on from this mess ASAP.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
BLUERUFiO

NIrishAg

Post by NIrishAg » January 14th, 2021, 9:08 am

GeoAg wrote:

What in that statement could she have not said? Recent judicial decisions have come down on the side of saying you can NOT hire someone based solely on a protected class. The USU counsel and HR have made it clear that this is the policy that the University should follow. So Cockett saying, "we can't hire someone solely based off of [insert protected class]" is completely in line with both recent judicial decisions and direction she will have received from USU's legal and HR arms.
These users thanked the author NIrishAg for the post (total 4):
splintorbSlim80Sl7vkNowhereLandAggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 14th, 2021, 10:23 am

NIrishAg wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 9:08 am
GeoAg wrote:

What in that statement could she have not said? Recent judicial decisions have come down on the side of saying you can NOT hire someone based solely on a protected class. The USU counsel and HR have made it clear that this is the policy that the University should follow. So Cockett saying, "we can't hire someone solely based off of [insert protected class]" is completely in line with both recent judicial decisions and direction she will have received from USU's legal and HR arms.
And since no one really knows what was said, all we have had is speculation. But that narrative you state could have been exactly what was said. I guess we will know more Friday.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 14th, 2021, 10:41 am

We'll find out.

Given what we know now, Occam's razor suggests that between the two options (1. A 30 year veteran of the very politically correct university system said something beyond the pale regarding hiring, or 2. Several 20-something football players were emotionally charged over a call regarding a coach they love and heard something they didn't like and took it out of context) the simplest explanation is number 2.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
USU78

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 14th, 2021, 10:44 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 10:23 am
NIrishAg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
And since no one really knows what was said, all we have had is speculation. But that narrative you state could have been exactly what was said. I guess we will know more Friday.
Whatever was said is written on the wind, and yes, every player could easily have heard it wrong.

More importantly, both of the following could be true at the same time: NC dislikes Mormons, Men, and Polynesians and disfavors them in hiring decisions; and NC said nothing that would give rise to a discrimination in employment claim in that Zoom meeting.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 14th, 2021, 11:06 am

USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NIrishAg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Whatever was said is written on the wind, and yes, every player could easily have heard it wrong.

More importantly, both of the following could be true at the same time: NC dislikes Mormons, Men, and Polynesians and disfavors them in hiring decisions; and NC said nothing that would give rise to a discrimination in employment claim in that Zoom meeting.
Can’t speak to all of those, but I at least know she hates Mormons.

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 14th, 2021, 11:07 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 11:06 am
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NIrishAg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

And I can't speak to that. I know both of my brothers think that.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 14th, 2021, 11:13 am

USU78 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NIrishAg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

Yeah that’s the only part I’m certain of- we have the same close friend group. Definitely doubt she hates Polys.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 14th, 2021, 11:16 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 11:13 am
USU78 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
NIrishAg wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

Yeah that’s the only part I’m certain of- we have the same close friend group. Definitely doubt she hates Polys.

What does hate Mormons mean? Just talks poorly of them? Unfortunate if she feels that way since a large percentage is Mormon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic