Today's game at AF is on KJZZ14

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
signalwar

Today's game at AF is on KJZZ14

Post by signalwar » January 2nd, 2021, 11:52 am

Their schedule shows it on at 4

logansdad2

Re: Today's game at AF is on KJZZ14

Post by logansdad2 » January 2nd, 2021, 12:37 pm

I saw that too. Everything else says it’s an Internet only broadcast. So I’m not sure which to believe

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » January 2nd, 2021, 5:21 pm

Sure wish KJZZ would’ve sprung for Scotty G instead of using this Stadium crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 2nd, 2021, 5:28 pm

tetonaggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 5:21 pm

Or Al Lewis who is better than Scotty G and truly lived and breathed Aggie sports all day everyday instead of having a SLC radio show where 95% is dedicated to utah and byu.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
Jjoey52Real Life Aggie

ususports

Post by ususports » January 2nd, 2021, 6:13 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 5:28 pm
tetonaggie wrote:

Or Al Lewis who is better than Scotty G and truly lived and breathed Aggie sports all day everyday instead of having a SLC radio show where 95% is dedicated to utah and byu.
Love for the team doesn’t make someone more qualified (i.e. Frank Maile), plus Scotty G is better.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttoleblu111mcaggie1

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 2nd, 2021, 6:17 pm

Replay anywhere?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 2nd, 2021, 6:25 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 6:17 pm
Replay anywhere?
It should be up on the USU website later.
https://utahstateaggies.com/watch/

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 2nd, 2021, 6:35 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 6:25 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 6:17 pm
Replay anywhere?
It should be up on the USU website later.
https://utahstateaggies.com/watch/
Thanks

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 2nd, 2021, 7:06 pm

ususports wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 6:13 pm
tetonaggie wrote:

Love for the team doesn’t make someone more qualified (i.e. Frank Maile), plus Scotty G is better.
Look, I love Al Lewis. But him calling the game was more telling anecdotes and stories about the players rather than giving a play-by-play of what was happening. I'm not complaining about Al, but if you're looking for a description of the game itself, he's not the best around.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
oleblu111

ususports

Post by ususports » January 2nd, 2021, 7:14 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 7:06 pm
ususports wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

Look, I love Al Lewis. But him calling the game was more telling anecdotes and stories about the players rather than giving a play-by-play of what was happening. I'm not complaining about Al, but if you're looking for a description of the game itself, he's not the best around.
I agree. I like Al, but you could tune into the middle of a game, and it would take 20 minutes to find out who was winning and what the score was. You sure knew if Al felt like the refs blew a call though. He did a good job overall, but I enjoy Scotty much more.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 2nd, 2021, 10:49 pm

ususports wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

How is Scotty G better? He has no passion and comes across like he barely follows the team which is probably true considering his radio show barely talks about the Aggies.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 2nd, 2021, 11:06 pm

January 2nd, 2021, 10:49 pm
ususports wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

How is Scotty G better? He has no passion and comes across like he barely follows the team which is probably true considering his radio show barely talks about the Aggies.
Personally, I like Scotty G more than Al. The is no doubt Al loved the Aggies, because anytime a play of consequence happened, he'd start screaming at the refs like he was a fan (I can't believe it! That was a travel! These refs aren't going to call that? Why wouldn't they call that?). If listening on the radio, it would take up to a full minute to hear what actually happened. I doubt Scotty dictates 100% of the comment on his show. But his announcing is more coherent, so that's why I like him.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Aggies All the Way!

ususports

Post by ususports » January 3rd, 2021, 12:18 am

ususports wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

Combine the other post of mine that you must not have read with what dirtnsnow just commented for your answer. Because Al was so passionate, it was almost impossible to know what actually happened. He would be screaming into the microphone, and you couldn't tell if it was a good play for the Aggies, or if we (in his opinion) just got screwed by the refs. After he calmed down, then he would finally summarize the play that just happened, but when I am listening to a radio broadcast, I want to know what happened when it happened. I shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes for Al's emotions to calm down to finally hear what is going on. As I said above, I do like Al and thought he did a good job (despite my sarcastic summary of my frustrations with him), but I would much rather listen to Scotty G who does what a radio announcer should do for his listeners. I agree that 1280 the zone doesn't focus enough on the Aggies, but that has nothing to do with Scotty G's ability to professionally call an Aggie game. Scotty is better at that than Al.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
oleblu111

aggietime

Post by aggietime » January 3rd, 2021, 1:27 am

ususports wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:18 am
ususports wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

Combine the other post of mine that you must not have read with what dirtnsnow just commented for your answer. Because Al was so passionate, it was almost impossible to know what actually happened. He would be screaming into the microphone, and you couldn't tell if it was a good play for the Aggies, or if we (in his opinion) just got screwed by the refs. After he calmed down, then he would finally summarize the play that just happened, but when I am listening to a radio broadcast, I want to know what happened when it happened. I shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes for Al's emotions to calm down to finally hear what is going on. As I said above, I do like Al and thought he did a good job (despite my sarcastic summary of my frustrations with him), but I would much rather listen to Scotty G who does what a radio announcer should do for his listeners. I agree that 1280 the zone doesn't focus enough on the Aggies, but that has nothing to do with Scotty G's ability to professionally call an Aggie game. Scotty is better at that than Al.
Al was definitely more fan than play by play guy which made his broadcasts really hard to follow. You can't question the man's love for USU, but love for USU does not make someone good at their job.

I think Scotty is good at play by play for football, but he drives me almost as crazy as Al did on basketball broadcasts by consistently missing what the refs call is and which player is affected. I realize there are a lot of new players this year and basketball can be hard to articulate in real time but it doesn't seem like he's improving. The biggest problem IMO is the guy doing color with Scotty on bball - he needs to tone the USU homerism down several notches. He's worse than listening to the byu guys.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » January 3rd, 2021, 8:15 am

I did not mean to turn this thread into a Scotty G vs Al Lewis debate and really regret my post now that it has. For the record, Al Lewis will always be the voice of the Aggies to me and I’m sad things didn’t work out when the athletic department decided to make the switch to The Zone, my understanding is they tried to make it work but the terms were not favorable for Al. Having said that, Scotty G does a very good job and any accusation against him as “not knowledgeable” or “not doing his homework” is completely baseless and not represented by the facts if you listen to his broadcast. He does work for a station in the SLC market that does not give USU the attention that we as fans think we deserve but he is a great Aggie and brings us up as much as he can and our coverage would be much less without him there.

These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleBustaMcNuttGreenAg

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 3rd, 2021, 8:57 am

Al Lewis loves the Aggies but Scotty G is a great upgrade.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post (total 2):
oleblu111GreenAg

BeNo

Post by BeNo » January 3rd, 2021, 10:29 am

Scott Garrard is an Aggie. Does a great job at calling games.

Scott Garrard took an opportunity that was presented to him.

The only reason the opportunity was there is because the individual that Al works for would not allow Al to work for the entity that won the bid.
These users thanked the author BeNo for the post:
oleblu111

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am

Scotty G is a full-blooded Aggie, however his job requires him to talk about BYU and Utah more than USU. If my job required that, I would do it as well. He does a great job calling the games and asking good questions during interviews.

There is no bigger Aggie anywhere on earth than Al Lewis, but he was a bit hard to follow during games and wasn't the best interviewer...he'd give the answer as part of the question. Haha.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 3rd, 2021, 11:15 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 10:35 am
Scotty G is a full-blooded Aggie, however his job requires him to talk about BYU and Utah more than USU. If my job required that, I would do it as well. He does a great job calling the games and asking good questions during interviews.

There is no bigger Aggie anywhere on earth than Al Lewis, but he was a bit hard to follow during games and wasn't the best interviewer...he'd give the answer as part of the question. Haha.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think he is a good announcer and his job is to talk about Utah sports that are relevant to the Utah sports fan. I gave him plenty of chances when I lived in Utah and outside of Utah. I'd try listening to his show online out of state during our best moments. USU was the best football team in the state during 2018 who blasted byu in their building and he barely talked about them on air. That is on him. There was a ton to talk about. Basketball the last 2 years was also the best team in the state (over the two year period combined) and he barely talked about them. Again, that is not being good at your job. Not only would it have been productive and fair to promote USU on his show during that time, it would have been very relevant. So no I am not impressed with him whether it be his subpar announcing with zero passion or his show where he not only doesn't promote USU, but almost ignores USU altogether even when USU is the most relevant sports news to the state.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
USU78

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 3rd, 2021, 11:41 am

No comparison Scottie, and the zone are far better than good old Al, and cheap KVNU. As a side note, why does not KVNU carry the games as a feed from the zone, on any of their stations ?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm

January 3rd, 2021, 11:15 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think he is a good announcer and his job is to talk about Utah sports that are relevant to the Utah sports fan. I gave him plenty of chances when I lived in Utah and outside of Utah. I'd try listening to his show online out of state during our best moments. USU was the best football team in the state during 2018 who blasted byu in their building and he barely talked about them on air. That is on him. There was a ton to talk about. Basketball the last 2 years was also the best team in the state (over the two year period combined) and he barely talked about them. Again, that is not being good at your job. Not only would it have been productive and fair to promote USU on his show during that time, it would have been very relevant. So no I am not impressed with him whether it be his subpar announcing with zero passion or his show where he not only doesn't promote USU, but almost ignores USU altogether even when USU is the most relevant sports news to the state.
I'm happy to disagree, but the reality is there are at least 10 sets of ears that want to hear about Utah and 10 more that want to hear about BYU for every set of ears that wants to hear about USU.

Scotty's job is to get people to tune in, end of story. They get more listeners by taking about BYU's 5th loss in a row than they would talking about a USU undefeated season.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 3rd, 2021, 2:01 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 1:20 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I'm happy to disagree, but the reality is there are at least 10 sets of ears that want to hear about Utah and 10 more that want to hear about BYU for every set of ears that wants to hear about USU.

Scotty's job is to get people to tune in, end of story. They get more listeners by taking about BYU's 5th loss in a row than they would talking about a USU undefeated season.
Well if he isn't going to promote USU when we are the best team in the state, maybe we can find a better announcer to do our games. If he is so paranoid that talking about USU's great program who just dominated byu might hurt his bottomline, he shouldn't be the voice of that great program. (Granted, I know the program isn't great now, so maybe the fit is fine for the moment)

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 3rd, 2021, 2:57 pm

January 3rd, 2021, 2:01 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Well if he isn't going to promote USU when we are the best team in the state, maybe we can find a better announcer to do our games. If he is so paranoid that talking about USU's great program who just dominated byu might hurt his bottomline, he shouldn't be the voice of that great program. (Granted, I know the program isn't great now, so maybe the fit is fine for the moment)
I don't know if we are listening to the same Scotty G. He gives the Aggies more of a presence in Salt Lake than anyone else that I can ever remember. Most BYU fans I know can't stand him because of his support of the Aggies. I also really enjoy him doing games. I liked Al Lewis too but when we had his radio broadcasts matched up with video I realized just how differently the game was going than what he was describing. I feel like Scotty does a better job of keeping his broadcast level but deep down he is as big of an Aggie fan of most of us on here.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 3rd, 2021, 4:44 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

When did USU have the best team in the state ? lets see Utah has beaten YBU 10 straight in football, we may have had a better team than them once in the last 10 years. In basketball USU never beat YBU while Sam was playing, and coach Smith has yet to win one.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 3rd, 2021, 4:47 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 2:57 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I don't know if we are listening to the same Scotty G. He gives the Aggies more of a presence in Salt Lake than anyone else that I can ever remember. Most BYU fans I know can't stand him because of his support of the Aggies. I also really enjoy him doing games. I liked Al Lewis too but when we had his radio broadcasts matched up with video I realized just how differently the game was going than what he was describing. I feel like Scotty does a better job of keeping his broadcast level but deep down he is as big of an Aggie fan of most of us on here.
I've listened to his radio show countless times over the years even when I haven't lived in Utah and he promotes byu and utah stories far more than Aggie stories.

I'm not the biggest fan of his announcing, but with that aside I wonder if we are the only school in the nation that has an announcer that spends his week promoting our rivals more than his team? I mean does the Alabama announcer spend his week promoting Auburn? Does the Ohio State announcer spend his week promoting Michigan? Yeah as an Aggie fan, not a fan of his. It makes us appear as the little brother. Al Lewis was all Aggie and hated byu and utah as much as we did.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on January 3rd, 2021, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 3rd, 2021, 5:00 pm

January 3rd, 2021, 4:47 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 2:57 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I've listened to his radio show countless times over the years even when I haven't listened to Utah and he promotes byu and utah stories far more than Aggie stories.

I'm not the biggest fan of his announcing, but with that aside I wonder if we are the only school in the nation that has an announcer that spends his week promoting our rivals more than his team? I mean does the Alabama announcer spend his week promoting Auburn? Does the Ohio State announcer spend his week promoting Michigan? Yeah as an Aggie fan, not a fan of his. It makes us appear as the little brother. Al Lewis was all Aggie and hated byu and utah as much as we did.
Perhaps Alabama has a home town radio that won the bid, Alabama is the number one team in that state, as far as fan interest goes, where does USU fit in those areas ?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 3rd, 2021, 5:09 pm

Oleblu,

Alabama was just an example. You could use any school. It is disappointing we have a guy who spends his week talking and promoting our rivals. That is crazy to me and reeks of little brother syndrome. USU sports has grown so much in the last 15 years. We shouldn't be little brothers to anybody. Not to mention we have beaten byu 2 of the last 3 times in football and are a better basketball program than Utah.

If you guys like him, great. I'll be happy when we have another announcer that is 100% Aggie.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 3rd, 2021, 8:16 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:

I don’t listen to sports talk radio anymore so I don’t have a dog in the fight. But the topic of discussion will tend towards which fan base has the most people tuned to the radio station, not which team is the “best” that given season.

I loved Al’s enthusiasm but he didn’t always paint the best picture of what was happening on the court. There is not a living person whose glasses are tinted more blue than Al’s.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » January 3rd, 2021, 10:48 pm

This threads has brought up several points that keep getting brought up that I just don't understand. 1) The thought that the radio guy has to be a fan of the team. 2) That the host of a radio talk show has to push his alma mater in a market that only a small percentage of the audience cares about. DJ - UCSB, PK - Arizona State, Jake Scott is a Va Tech fan, should the fans of those teams be upset they don't talk more about those teams? 3) That people thought of Al Lewis as anything other than a high school announcer that lucked into a job for several decades that he just wasn't very good at. 4) The thought that Scotty G isn't good at what he does, and 5) How anyone doubts that Scotty G is an Aggie.

I do wish that someone could be found to be on road games as well, Beckert is fine and is previous stint on Stew's staff is nice, but maybe a former player would be a nice addition.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieGordoAggieReal Life Aggie

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 3rd, 2021, 11:16 pm

Stucki wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 10:48 pm
This threads has brought up several points that keep getting brought up that I just don't understand. 1) The thought that the radio guy has to be a fan of the team. 2) That the host of a radio talk show has to push his alma mater in a market that only a small percentage of the audience cares about. DJ - UCSB, PK - Arizona State, Jake Scott is a Va Tech fan, should the fans of those teams be upset they don't talk more about those teams? 3) That people thought of Al Lewis as anything other than a high school announcer that lucked into a job for several decades that he just wasn't very good at. 4) The thought that Scotty G isn't good at what he does, and 5) How anyone doubts that Scotty G is an Aggie.

I do wish that someone could be found to be on road games as well, Beckert is fine and is previous stint on Stew's staff is nice, but maybe a former player would be a nice addition.
1. Radio guy does not have to be a fan of the team, but I would prefer he didn't spend his week promoting the rivals of that team. It should be his number 1 priority. Again, is there another broadcaster in the country of any team that spends his week talking more about the rivals of the school he works for than that school? I'm guessing the Florida State announcer doesn't promote Florida all week before calling Florida State games, but I admit I don't know.

2. The examples you brought up are all out of state teams that unless they are playing a Utah team aren't relevant to Utah sports. Those 3 hosts also aren't the announcers for those 3 schools. It isn't a stretch for a radio host in the state of Utah to spend more time talking Aggie sports when USU has had great teams. There are a lot of Aggies on the Wasatch Front.

3-4. Scotty G being better at the job than Al Lewis is an opinion that some will agree with, others won't. Was Scotty G anything but a high school announcer before he got the USU job? What was the highest level he had done? Did he not luck into the job? God help us, if he was hired over more experienced and qualified candidates.

5. See 1 and 2.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 4th, 2021, 8:15 am

January 3rd, 2021, 11:16 pm
Stucki wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 10:48 pm

1. Radio guy does not have to be a fan of the team, but I would prefer he didn't spend his week promoting the rivals of that team. It should be his number 1 priority. Again, is there another broadcaster in the country of any team that spends his week talking more about the rivals of the school he works for than that school? I'm guessing the Florida State announcer doesn't promote Florida all week before calling Florida State games, but I admit I don't know.

2. The examples you brought up are all out of state teams that unless they are playing a Utah team aren't relevant to Utah sports. Those 3 hosts also aren't the announcers for those 3 schools. It isn't a stretch for a radio host in the state of Utah to spend more time talking Aggie sports when USU has had great teams. There are a lot of Aggies on the Wasatch Front.

3-4. Scotty G being better at the job than Al Lewis is an opinion that some will agree with, others won't. Was Scotty G anything but a high school announcer before he got the USU job? What was the highest level he had done? Did he not luck into the job? God help us, if he was hired over more experienced and qualified candidates.

5. See 1 and 2.
So you're basically unhappy that an USU grad/employee of a Salt Lake radio station charging Salt Lake advertising rates for an audience that consists probably of about 10% USU fans at best doesn't spend all his time talking about USU, instead of the teams that 90% of his listeners who the advertisers are targeting care most about. And you think Scotty's the problem? Not sure I get your point. Would you be happier if he had a different day job?

I live out of the market, so don't listen to the Zone much -- most of my information is from friends who do. And there's no question that if Scotty G wasn't on the Zone, you'd be getting much less USU than you do. Having our PBP guy also have a radio gig in SLC gets us something where most of our fans live. Having Al Lewis got us nothing.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Nobody here knows anything.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 4th, 2021, 8:40 am

I think we're just reiterating the same points back and forth and this thread has gone off track. There's a disagreement, and that's okay.

Go Aggies!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 4th, 2021, 9:28 am

ususports wrote:
tetonaggie wrote:

He has to talk more about the ewets and the why. If he talked way more about the Ags, he would lose his job. As for the play by play, he does a really good job. The ewe’s play by play guy is good too. Al Lewis and the guy who does the play by play for the why, seem to be in a competition to see who can scream the loudest, AND who can keep their listeners in the dark as to what is going on.
My wife and I served a mission with Scotty’s parents. There can never be a more loyal and dedicated Aggie family than Scotty’s.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 4th, 2021, 10:19 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 8:40 am
I think we're just reiterating the same points back and forth and this thread has gone off track. There's a disagreement, and that's okay.

Go Aggies!
Yep, pretty much. I'm not a Scottie G fan and don't like that we have an announcer that promotes our rivals during the week. Others like him and don't mind that he does. I've made my point, others have made theirs. We'll leave it there. Everyone have a good week and let's beat New Mexico!
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
mcaggie1

Locked Previous topicNext topic