Boise to the AAC?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Boise to the AAC?

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 21st, 2020, 11:56 pm

This just posted:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ll-member/

A couple of thoughts:

1. BSU can go pound sand, no matter how many times they make it into a BCS game (which isn't all that often) they're never getting into a better conference (P5 or otherwise). Their school is too poor academically, and their location too undesirable. Moving to the AAC is like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. They'd be better off going indy or trying to form a new conference (the latter scenario would be the most interesting/unnerving from a USU standpoint).

2. The MWC needs to be more proactive in building its own brand. Do whatever you can to add Gonzaga and St. Marrys in basketball. It would bolster the MWC while killing the WCC as an option for non-football sports for YBU and Bosie. Or maybe you invite some of the better AAC teams to join the MWC and create an Eastern Division (or something, just spitballing).

3. We need a new commissioner in the worst possible way! Hair Thompson is just coasting at this point and has done very little to advance the conference (and its flagship programs) in any meaningful way. Time for a new vision.

ineptimusprime

Re: Bosie to the AAC?

Post by ineptimusprime » December 22nd, 2020, 12:10 am

If Boise could actually, you know, go undefeated or win a conference championship game, they’d get the NY6 bowl more often.

So let me get this right.... they want to sell all of their other sports down the river to the Big West to make a mostly lateral move football-wise to join a conference in which they are not a geographic fit at all to play teams they have zero history with.

It honestly makes no sense to me, but okay, Boise.

Boise has really underachieved in the MW lately based on their recruiting and financial advantages. It’s going to get better for them in a conference that won’t grant them special favors?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Fullaggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 22nd, 2020, 12:26 am

It would hurt, but quite frankly i am sick of all of their demands. The AAC will be even harder to get to a new years 6 game for them. Good riddance to them.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
GA_Aggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 22nd, 2020, 8:07 am

Is there anyway we can get rid of Air Force as part of the deal?

It would logically make sense to bring BYU back, but I don't think they are interested. NMSU still stuck in independent hell. Not sure if there are any other geographically aligned schools with the MW that make sense.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 22nd, 2020, 8:26 am

The best thing from a Money perspective for this conference and national relevancy is to add BYU in all sports, drop hawaii, maybe add two Texas schools, and then add st Mary’s and Gonzaga for non football sports.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggiemcaggie1

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 22nd, 2020, 8:29 am

Sl7vk wrote:Is there anyway we can get rid of Air Force as part of the deal?

It would logically make sense to bring BYU back, but I don't think they are interested. NMSU still stuck in independent hell. Not sure if there are any other geographically aligned schools with the MW that make sense.
BYU wouldn’t join although they probably would have won the MW this year and had a real pathway to a NY6. UTEP would make sense. Too bad they are awful. There are a few other Texas schools in CUSA that could be looking to step up such as Rice, UTSA, or North Texas. Rice was once a proud program with rich history until SMU and TCU left them on the vine.

Would NDSU be looking to make the jump to FBS? Maybe Cal-Davis or Sac State or Montana. We could replace the blue turf with red turf (EWU).

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » December 22nd, 2020, 8:33 am

"Visions of grandeur." These other conferences take a look at Boise State academically and thing, "Ewe."

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » December 22nd, 2020, 8:39 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 12:10 am
So let me get this right.... they want to sell all of their other sports down the river to the Big West to make a mostly lateral move football-wise to join a conference in which they are not a geographic fit at all to play teams they have zero history with.

Boise doesn't work in the Big West, i.e. for the same reason they didn't want any of us any more. We play football, and they didn't want to travel here. Plus Boise doesn't work in the WCC because they aren't a religious-based university, like most of the WCC universities are.

And does Boise really want to travel to the east coast for all their road games but one or two? I don't think so. This is just posturing by them. They're not going anywhere.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
JSHarvey

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » December 22nd, 2020, 9:09 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 8:29 am

BYU wouldn’t join although they probably would have won the MW this year and had a real pathway to a NY6. UTEP would make sense. Too bad they are awful. There are a few other Texas schools in CUSA that could be looking to step up such as Rice, UTSA, or North Texas. Rice was once a proud program with rich history until SMU and TCU left them on the vine.

Would NDSU be looking to make the jump to FBS? Maybe Cal-Davis or Sac State or Montana. We could replace the blue turf with red turf (EWU).
Except that BYU, if in the MWC, would not have played any out of conference games and probably would have had like 6-7 games max. No way they would have had the resume to get a NY6 that way. Even if undefeated.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 22nd, 2020, 9:11 am

So when BSU leaves, can we get the new Space Force Academy into the conference?
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 5):
NVAggieflying_scotsman2.0JSHarveyaggies22Quelch

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
If Boise could actually, you know, go undefeated or win a conference championship game, they’d get the NY6 bowl more often.

Boise has really underachieved in the MW lately based on their recruiting and financial advantages. It’s going to get better for them in a conference that won’t grant them special favors?
Very lateral indeed. The AAC is just another conference you can go undefeated in and not even sniff the CFP.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 22nd, 2020, 9:15 am

AggiePT wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Except that BYU, if in the MWC, would not have played any out of conference games and probably would have had like 6-7 games max. No way they would have had the resume to get a NY6 that way. Even if undefeated.
Yeah that’s true for this year. They wouldn’t have passed Cincy. Although if BYU were in the MW it would raise the boat a bit and may be considered equal to AAC for future years.

One other thing Boise may want to consider is the potential of the Big12 poaching a couple top AAC teams in the future. I don’t think Boise would be one of them and would then leave Boise in a conference no better than the MW.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
AggiePT

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am

Just leave already. Over it.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
aggies22treesap32

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 9:58 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 9:15 am
AggiePT wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Yeah that’s true for this year. They wouldn’t have passed Cincy. Although if BYU were in the MW it would raise the boat a bit and may be considered equal to AAC for future years.

One other thing Boise may want to consider is the potential of the Big12 poaching a couple top AAC teams in the future. I don’t think Boise would be one of them and would then leave Boise in a conference no better than the MW.
I would love this so much. Boise and byu go to the aac and the next year the big 12 comes in and takes Cincinnati, houston, memphis, and UCF.

It would be even better if that opened the door for the MW to hose byu and boise more by raiding the rest of the aac, taking SMU and Tulsa.

It wont ever happen but one can dream right.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieJSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 10:16 am

The conference must be in negotiations with Boise State for revenue purposes. They do this every time we negotiate something with them.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOJSHarvey

Full

Post by Full » December 22nd, 2020, 10:24 am

Let them go. Having 11 schools that play football would be the only issue. Hopefully either Hawaii would go independent at the same time, or BYU is added. If they wanted to take BYU and Air Force with them to the AAC, that would be fine by me as well. Playing Air Force every year hobbles the line for the next few games.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 10:30 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 10:16 am
The conference must be in negotiations with Boise State for revenue purposes. They do this every time we negotiate something with them.
And the conference will give them every last thing they ask for.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am

Full wrote:Let them go. Having 11 schools that play football would be the only issue. Hopefully either Hawaii would go independent at the same time, or BYU is added. If they wanted to take BYU and Air Force with them to the AAC, that would be fine by me as well. Playing Air Force every year hobbles the line for the next few games.
Byu isn’t coming without Boise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am

Good riddance, it will be us and SJSU as the perennial MWC Teams every year now.

Also, please never speak of adding ybu to our conference, they are never coming back, you know what they say about pride, read Proverbs, 16:18
Last edited by ViAggie on December 22nd, 2020, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 22nd, 2020, 12:31 pm

The AAC is better than most are giving credit. The MW has struggled lately. It's football is down and isn't getting better. The AAC is in a better position geographically and is getting a lot more pub. The PAC 12 and the MW suffer from the same problems. If BYU and BSU join the AAC, watch out. I'm not saying that they'd be better off or that their chances of getting into a NY6 would increase, but the conference would be knocking on the door of making it a sixth addition to the P5's, which would give it more money. Football in the west has just really struggled and it's not getting better.
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post:
oleblu111

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 12:34 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am
Good riddance, it will be us and SJSU as the perineal MWC Teams every year now.

Also, please never speak of adding ybu to our conference, they are never coming back, you know what they say about pride, read Proverbs, 16:18
Better than the taintal MWC Teams.

(My deepest apologies for that.)
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 4):
Yossariansam tingeyShowMeAggieAGinNEIowa

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 22nd, 2020, 12:48 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am
Good riddance, it will be us and SJSU as the perennial MWC Teams every year now.

Haha I love it Vi. Let us hope that applies to BYU football 😁.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ViAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 22nd, 2020, 12:50 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 12:31 pm
The AAC is better than most are giving credit. The MW has struggled lately. It's football is down and isn't getting better. The AAC is in a better position geographically and is getting a lot more pub. The PAC 12 and the MW suffer from the same problems. If BYU and BSU join the AAC, watch out. I'm not saying that they'd be better off or that their chances of getting into a NY6 would increase, but the conference would be knocking on the door of making it a sixth addition to the P5's, which would give it more money. Football in the west has just really struggled and it's not getting better.
Every p5 conference has legitimate great The Who who of college football. Sec has Alabama, georgia etc. big 12 has Texas, Oklahoma. Big 10 has Michigan, Ohio state, pac 12 has usc, Oregon. Acc has Florida state, Clemson. The aac does not have a program even close to those names. They have a bunch of Syracuse level schools. They aren’t getting in regardless and nor should they.

I’d also argue the aac is overrated (East coast bias). It’s only one game but Nevada is playing Tulane today and is running up and down the field with them. Look at Tulanes results this year. Very competitive. Their last game was an overtime loss to Tulsa. The same Tulsa that went down to the last second with cincy last week.

Btw cincy wouldn’t stay close the top programs in college football.
Last edited by slcagg on December 22nd, 2020, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 22nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

A very good G5 school preys on sweeping the awful teams in their conference and then hope to beat a beaten down 2nd or 3rd best team from a p5 in a power conference in a NY6 game.

I think by trying to construct a "power conference" it's a big mistake.

No matter what combination of G5 schools you put together, taking the 12 best, it would still be far short of a P5.

Not just on talent but on give-a-damn too.

The PAC-12 may not be the "best" conference every year but UCLA is the most applied to school in the US. The vast majority of G5s are not the flagship schools and they aren't as large. That means $$$$$

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » December 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm

the question is would we let them back into the MW when their move fails? Most of the extra money they might make will go to travel, there brand will decline when they don't play in the west, not to many people in the East or Midwest care about Boise (lived in both places), BYU on the other hand is different. Let them go, and never let them back in. I know it is all about the money so we would probably let them back, but at least make them pay!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm

pcaggie wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm
the question is would we let them back into the MW when their move fails? Most of the extra money they might make will go to travel, there brand will decline when they don't play in the west, not to many people in the East or Midwest care about Boise (lived in both places), BYU on the other hand is different. Let them go, and never let them back in. I know it is all about the money so we would probably let them back, but at least make them pay!
We def shouldn’t make concessions to them if that were to be the case.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm

Some of you wrong though. Boise will fit in great in the aac. Have you seen them when they come to our games in Logan?

They are cut from the same cloth as those Florida Man AAC fans.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
JSHarvey

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » December 22nd, 2020, 3:21 pm

[*][*]
BigBlueBlood wrote:
I actually don't agree with this other than east coast bias/attention. The AAC has marketed themselves as the 6th p5 and its semi worked because they are getting the NY6 bowl every year.

Last year the MWC had by far the best win pct against p5 schools out of g5 conferences. MWC was 5-5 against pac12 and 3-2 vs vaunted sec. I believe the MWC is better than its getting credit for. We only compete with pac12 for eyeballs geographically and footprint is the fastest growing area of the country. We need new leadership.

These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOFull

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 22nd, 2020, 3:30 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 3:21 pm
[*][*]
BigBlueBlood wrote:
I actually don't agree with this other than east coast bias/attention. The AAC has marketed themselves as the 6th p5 and its semi worked because they are getting the NY6 bowl every year.

Last year the MWC had by far the best win pct against p5 schools out of g5 conferences. MWC was 5-5 against pac12 and 3-2 vs vaunted sec. I believe the MWC is better than its getting credit for. We only compete with pac12 for eyeballs geographically and footprint is the fastest growing area of the country. We need new leadership.

Agree with this 100%

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 22nd, 2020, 5:30 pm

My argument was not that the AAC is better, rather it's better positioned. The overall package, including current teams ranked really bode well for AAC. Also, wins against P5 teams is not a great metric. It's not meaningless, but until you work out which teams from which conferences, it really doesn't help much.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 22nd, 2020, 9:36 pm

UCf was pounded tonight by BYU. Last time out for
BYU they and SDSU had a relatively competitive game. BYU playing against about the 3-4 best team in both conferences in those games.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 22nd, 2020, 10:10 pm

Who cares? Just go already and don't let the door hit you. High maintenance (I can't express myself without swearing) are fun for an occasional roll in the hay, but don't make very good life partners.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » December 22nd, 2020, 11:17 pm

pcaggie wrote:
I'd certainly have my demands if I were to let them back in. Some are petty, such as making them tear out that hideous Smurf turd and replace it with a normal turf field, some are reasonable such as no sweetheart deal.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 23rd, 2020, 12:35 am

USUMAE wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 11:17 pm
pcaggie wrote:
I'd certainly have my demands if I were to let them back in. Some are petty, such as making them tear out that hideous Smurf turd and replace it with a normal turf field, some are reasonable such as no sweetheart deal.
I’m diggin what you did there 💩
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USUMAE

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 23rd, 2020, 8:43 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

All they had to do was beat a 7-6 byu team last year, they couldn't do it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic