Was Packers best for Love

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usu99

Was Packers best for Love

Post by usu99 » December 20th, 2020, 4:24 pm

From what I can see Rodgers to every snap the entire season. Doesn't seem like the best place to be a backup if nobody else gets a snap the entire year even in blowouts.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

ViAggie

Re: Was Packers best for Love

Post by ViAggie » December 20th, 2020, 4:25 pm

but he got his money on straight

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » December 20th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Great place. If he would of went to a team needing a qb immediately, more than likely he would not have the supporting cast around him, and would be out of the league in 2-3 years.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 20th, 2020, 4:33 pm

The Colts were rumored to be trading into the 1st round to draft him but the Packers snagged him first. I think the Colts would’ve been a much better situation for him all around and wish he would’ve ended up there.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 20th, 2020, 4:38 pm

As both a Packers fan and Aggie fan, drafting Love was idiotic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 20th, 2020, 4:58 pm

usu99 wrote:From what I can see Rodgers to every snap the entire season. Doesn't seem like the best place to be a backup if nobody else gets a snap the entire year even in blowouts.
He’s only a snap of a finger away from being right in the mix....or leg, or tendon, or ........

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 20th, 2020, 5:07 pm

A redshirt year will good for him. Just like Mahomes.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 5):
AggiePTNowhereLandAggiesockpuppetAggieFBObsessionAggiesForever

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 20th, 2020, 5:25 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
usu99 wrote:From what I can see Rodgers to every snap the entire season. Doesn't seem like the best place to be a backup if nobody else gets a snap the entire year even in blowouts.
He’s only a snap of a finger away from being right in the mix....or leg, or tendon, or ........
Tim Boyle is but Love isn’t. Love isn’t even on the active roster.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 20th, 2020, 5:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 5:07 pm
True, but moving on from Alex Smith is a lot different than moving on from Rodgers. Aaron is still one of the best in the league.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
CastIronAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 20th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Must suck for love getting a $6mm+ sign on bonus. I feel bad for him.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOAggiesForever

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 20th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Not playing is the best thing that could have happened for LOVE. Being thrust into a Jet's type situation like TL will be next year is no-bueno and can destroy a career before it has a chance of taking.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
Slim80El Sapo

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 5:37 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 5:07 pm
True, but moving on from Alex Smith is a lot different than moving on from Rodgers. Aaron is still one of the best in the league.
Couldn’t the same be said about when Rodgers replaced Favre? Rodgers was patient and learned from one of the best. I don’t see why this is any different for Love. He has a chance to sit back and learn without having to perform on the field in the national spot light.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 4):
JSHarveyQuelchsstrasserAggiesForever

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm

I like Love, but I have the feeling that the longer he rides the pine behind a HOF qb, the longer he stays in the league.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » December 20th, 2020, 9:34 pm

Jordan got screwed because of Covid. He had no chance to do OTA's, and no chance to train with the Packers until Fall Camp. Add in no preseason games and boom he's 3rd string. He needed to sit for a year or two anyways, but with Covid it was a no brainer. It's not all bad, Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for three years.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post (total 4):
JSHarveyaggies22AggieFBObsessionsstrasser

Quelch

Post by Quelch » December 27th, 2020, 8:50 am

I am a huge Packer Fan! I think this is perfect for Love! He didn’t have the absolute greatest receivers at USU. They were good but he made them better. Now he’s seeing the same thing out of Rodgers but at a much higher level. Rodgers will be the NFL MVP this year. Watching Rodgers and learning from him will be huge for Love. Packers have a history with the Aggies. Love is a smart guy and will last many years in the NFL (baring injury)! I very much look forward to watching Love QB the Pack. It should still be a couple years away. I just hope he will do for USU what Pro Bowler Bobby Wagner has done for our program.
These users thanked the author Quelch for the post:
AggiesForever

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 27th, 2020, 9:35 am

I still don't think Love can throw the ball in cold weather so no, Packers was not the best place for Love.

It doesn't matter that Rodgers took every snap this season because Love I believe is the 3rd string QB. Still wouldn't have played if Rodgers sat a bit.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 27th, 2020, 10:00 am

Big Love fan, but he wasn't ready to be an NFL starter right away. He probably won't be ready next year. This is the best thing that could happen to him. I do wish he got playing time in blowouts though.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sstrasser

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 27th, 2020, 12:59 pm

didn't aaron rodgers sit on the sidelines for 2 seasons waiting for favre to retire?
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
sstrasser

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 27th, 2020, 1:12 pm

IMHO Love was far from being an NFL starting QB when he was drafted. That might be a harsher opinion than I had with Boroughs, Herbert or other college QB's because I saw every one of Love's mistakes.

What will make or break Love as an NFL QB will be his footwork. His maneuverability in the pocket. I thought he was too slow and wouldn't get taken in the first round because of that. But NFL QB's can learn footwork, quick steps in the pocket to overcome their lack of speed/quickness. Packers are the best place for Love because they have the opportunity to let Love develop his skills.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 27th, 2020, 1:29 pm

El Sapo wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 1:12 pm
IMHO Love was far from being an NFL starting QB when he was drafted. That might be a harsher opinion than I had with Boroughs, Herbert or other college QB's because I saw every one of Love's mistakes.

What will make or break Love as an NFL QB will be his footwork. His maneuverability in the pocket. I thought he was too slow and wouldn't get taken in the first round because of that. But NFL QB's can learn footwork, quick steps in the pocket to overcome their lack of speed/quickness. Packers are the best place for Love because they have the opportunity to let Love develop his skills.
He ran a 4.7 40 at the combine. More than fast enough for an NFL QB. Speed and physical tools are not the issue. Decision making is.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Wait & see. We haven’t even seen love in a preseason game yet.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 27th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Tonight, the Packers had a play where their guy stepped out of bounds but it wasn't called, and they successfully got off the next play before the Titans could challenge! That brought back memories of when we twice had blown out of bounds calls at BYU, and the CSU game with the guy stepping out.

Jordan did get a moment of recognition with the announcers talking about and showing him tonight, and again told the story of the comparison between him and Rodgers sitting behind Favre. The funny thing was they were saying the rate he was going, it would be a long time before Jordan gets to play, then he threw a pick right after that.

Tim Boyle's contract does expire after this year, so maybe he'll go and Jordan will get the #2 job and garbage time reps at the end of blowouts and the week 17 start next year.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 27th, 2020, 9:22 pm

El Sapo wrote:

I don't think you were watching the same QB everyone else was watching. Love had some footwork issues once in a while but his weaknesses had nothing to do with pocket presence or mobility. Rather he misread some defenses, sometimes didn't see dropping LBs, and thought he could make any throw. As far as overall physical skills and arm talent he's elite.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Madmartigan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 28th, 2020, 8:58 am

hickaggie wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 9:22 pm
El Sapo wrote:

I don't think you were watching the same QB everyone else was watching. Love had some footwork issues once in a while but his weaknesses had nothing to do with pocket presence or mobility. Rather he misread some defenses, sometimes didn't see dropping LBs, and thought he could make any throw. As far as overall physical skills and arm talent he's elite.
This, 100% this.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » December 28th, 2020, 4:09 pm

I suspect every NFL team knows the personnel on every other team pretty well. If he doesn't get to play much for the Packers in another year or two and if he really has NFL potential, some team will pick him up. It's not all or none at Green Bay.
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » December 30th, 2020, 2:57 pm

This was a great move for Jordan. Packers draft quarterbacks, park them on the bench for a couple years behind a hall of famer, they win super bowls, become legends, and eventually go the hall of fame themselves. Jordan is young. Be patient and enjoy the best seat in the house.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 1st, 2021, 7:14 am

Blitz79 wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 9:35 am
I still don't think Love can throw the ball in cold weather so no, Packers was not the best place for Love.

It doesn't matter that Rodgers took every snap this season because Love I believe is the 3rd string QB. Still wouldn't have played if Rodgers sat a bit.
I was at the "What the hell just happened" Colorado State game. It was dang cold. Love threw the ball just fine!

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » January 1st, 2021, 10:51 am

i still think love will have the best career out of all of them. Him and herbert will be close. With the right coaching and players, both of them will be superstars. Love is set up for the best career because he is sitting behind a HOF

Locked Previous topicNext topic