Rick pitino I mean coach Pope at BYU

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Rick pitino I mean coach Pope at BYU

Post by slcagg » December 17th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Word in the inner circles of BYU athletics is that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree and pope learned some recruiting tricks from his head coach in college (pitino). He has been using Doterra funds to recruit and pay illegally and sanctions are likely. Oh things are going to get bad down in Provo. Bigger than sock gate. It seems that they have been floating things with their prospects way too long down there that it is about to blow up to the real thing.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

JonnyCienPesos

Re: Rick pitino I mean coach Pope at BYU

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 17th, 2020, 11:37 pm

slcagg wrote:Word in the inner circles of BYU athletics is that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree and pope learned some recruiting tricks from his head coach in college (pitino). He has been using Doterra funds to recruit and pay illegally and sanctions are likely. Oh things are going to get bad down in Provo. Bigger than sock gate. It seems that they have been floating things with their prospects way too long down there that it is about to blow up to the real thing.
I think you mean Qualtrics funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
slcagg

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 18th, 2020, 6:09 am

Hey who moved this to the basketball forum. This belongs in the football forum. Trust me. 😁

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » December 18th, 2020, 6:21 am

I highly doubt that anything happens to them. These things just seem to go away when byu is involved. I hope they get nailed big time but they'll just do the usual "internal audit" and you'll never hear about it again (until the next one).

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 18th, 2020, 6:40 am

It wasn't that long ago that someone was going to Harry Potter Land with some boosters. Isolated incident? I think not.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » December 18th, 2020, 8:57 am

YouEssYou wrote:I highly doubt that anything happens to them. These things just seem to go away when byu is involved. I hope they get nailed big time but they'll just do the usual "internal audit" and you'll never hear about it again (until the next one).
Exactly the way these things play out. After their own investigation they'll self report their misdeeds to the NCAA. Nothing will happen.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 18th, 2020, 9:19 am

usufan1 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:57 am
YouEssYou wrote:I highly doubt that anything happens to them. These things just seem to go away when byu is involved. I hope they get nailed big time but they'll just do the usual "internal audit" and you'll never hear about it again (until the next one).
Exactly the way these things play out. After their own investigation they'll self report their misdeeds to the NCAA. Nothing will happen.

Ha kinda like what's going to happen with the USU investigation ;) Have someone come in, figure out what happened, and then do nothing.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 18th, 2020, 9:25 am

slcagg wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 11:20 pm
Word in the inner circles of BYU athletics is that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree and pope learned some recruiting tricks from his head coach in college (pitino). He has been using Doterra funds to recruit and pay illegally and sanctions are likely. Oh things are going to get bad down in Provo. Bigger than sock gate. It seems that they have been floating things with their prospects way too long down there that it is about to blow up to the real thing.
I see what you did there. :golfclap:
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
slcagg

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » December 18th, 2020, 9:29 am

Hey Doug Robinson, are you listening? I would bet serious money there will be no word of this in the press or anywhere.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 18th, 2020, 11:04 am

I've got to be honest. I don't buy it, nor do I think there will be any sort of sanctions coming.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
tjensen_25gomretat

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » December 18th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Are there strippers in Provo as well?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 18th, 2020, 5:14 pm

UStateTim wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Are there strippers in Provo as well?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 18th, 2020, 6:18 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 11:37 pm
slcagg wrote:Word in the inner circles of BYU athletics is that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree and pope learned some recruiting tricks from his head coach in college (pitino). He has been using Doterra funds to recruit and pay illegally and sanctions are likely. Oh things are going to get bad down in Provo. Bigger than sock gate. It seems that they have been floating things with their prospects way too long down there that it is about to blow up to the real thing.
I think you mean Qualtrics funds.

I think he means Nuskin Enterprise funds or perhaps Fun for Less Tours Inc. :headscratch:
Last edited by Aggie in Boise on December 18th, 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 18th, 2020, 6:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
I found out last year from a highly respectable, honest, ethical, clA$Sy, Volkswagen Jetta driving, booster loving, traveling, amusement park enthusiast how shady Pope really is.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » December 18th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:32 pm
slcagg wrote:
I found out last year from a highly respectable, honest, ethical, clA$Sy, Volkswagen Jetta driving, booster loving, traveling, amusement park enthusiast how shady Pope really is.

I would absolutely love this too true...but the other side of me says “who have they recruited good enough to pay!”. Serious question though...maybe Barcello?

GUS

Post by GUS » December 18th, 2020, 7:53 pm

They got Lohner to switch from Utah and also signed another Wasatch academy kid this fall.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
aggies22

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 18th, 2020, 8:44 pm

GUS wrote:They got Lohner to switch from Utah and also signed another Wasatch academy kid this fall.
They also were able to convince a certain player to return last year instead of heading into the draft. They provided him with some extra incentive to return.

aggies22

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 18th, 2020, 9:06 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:44 pm
GUS wrote:They got Lohner to switch from Utah and also signed another Wasatch academy kid this fall.
They also were able to convince a certain player to return last year instead of heading into the draft. They provided him with some extra incentive to return.

Is this public at all yet?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 18th, 2020, 9:11 pm

GUS wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 7:53 pm
They got Lohner to switch from Utah and also signed another Wasatch academy kid this fall.
Remember how condie was the head coach at WA and he was replaced by a BYU guy. Total coincidence?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 18th, 2020, 9:16 pm

slcagg wrote:
GUS wrote:
Remember how condie was the head coach at WA and he was replaced by a BYU guy. Total coincidence?
You should hear the story about how Pope got hired. Let’s just say he wasn’t the first choice, but a little $$$$ got him the gig.

aggies22

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 18th, 2020, 11:26 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 9:16 pm
slcagg wrote:
GUS wrote:
You should hear the story about how Pope got hired. Let’s just say he wasn’t the first choice, but a little $$$$ got him the gig.

Please share.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » December 19th, 2020, 8:06 am

slcagg wrote:
Even if something like this did happen, with the most recent news with NCAA player compensation and name, image, and likeness going to the Supreme Court, and legislation from congress already underway to help athletes in this front. Nothing will happen to BYU because we're in the midst of a major change in college sports. If doterra is helping student athletes then that's endorsements that would be okay with what's coming down the pipeline. I hope the Aggie administration is seeing this coming. Just sayin...

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 19th, 2020, 9:12 am

I have never cheered for BYU in a game and never will but this is piling on with a number of made up fabrications - some of which I know are false. My son played for Pope along with two of his current assistants. They are not only great coaches, they are good men who do a lot to build the young men they coach. I am hoping they move on from BYU again soon so I can cheer for them again.

GUS

Post by GUS » December 19th, 2020, 11:50 am

Slcagg, what exactly are you hearing? Is it just generalized things or are there specifics?

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 21st, 2020, 10:06 am

byu can eat a hairy turd but call me skeptical
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

kfbob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kfbob » January 7th, 2021, 3:12 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 9:06 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Dude you are funny. There are no NBA players at BYU. Even Yoeli didn't make it. I'll have to say it's at least entertaining.
Must be a slow winter for you.

JMH
Has thanked: 0

Post by JMH » January 7th, 2021, 3:36 pm

I have to stop myself from laughing so hard. Someone posts something on an Internet board and suddenly everyone jumps to believe it. I guess in the year of COVID people have a lot of free time on their hands. Just yesterday I heard from a trusted source that USU was paying players and would be banished from the MWC by the end of the year. See how stupid all this sounds. Unless someone give you names of sources and real details it exists only in their minds.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » January 7th, 2021, 3:36 pm

@SLB - it's been a few weeks and no news of anything... Can you give more info of the rumors you heard?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 7th, 2021, 3:46 pm

JMH wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 3:36 pm
I have to stop myself from laughing so hard. Someone posts something on an Internet board and suddenly everyone jumps to believe it. I guess in the year of COVID people have a lot of free time on their hands. Just yesterday I heard from a trusted source that USU was paying players and would be banished from the MWC by the end of the year. See how stupid all this sounds. Unless someone give you names of sources and real details it exists only in their minds.
BYU fan's got it right on this one. I mean, we know BYU's done some stuff they shouldn't have in the past and self-imposed some stuff iirc, but I'm calling this one as absolutely incorrect.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 8th, 2021, 3:13 pm

JMH wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 3:36 pm
If we were paying our football players we should ask for our money back.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieNaked Bull Rider

Locked Previous topicNext topic