Coach Anderson Presser

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGNUMPI

Re: Coach Anderson Presser

Post by AGNUMPI » December 14th, 2020, 12:52 pm

The three "Fs" Fast, Fysical, Fun!
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
3rdGenAggie

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » December 14th, 2020, 12:54 pm

kofdog wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:46 am
He said, he'd be at church :)
As long as he will be attending a Utah State Admin sanctioned religion. USU Admin could not have him attending the local predominate religion.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Is there a recording anywhere for us that couldn't watch live?!

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 14th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Building a staff to fill a diversity checklist sounds great from a feel good PC perspective, but doesn't seem like a good idea from a success perspective. Hopefully it all works out.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 14th, 2020, 12:58 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm
Is there a recording anywhere for us that couldn't watch live?!
yeah it's still here, even though it's not live

These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
AggieArmy

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 14th, 2020, 1:00 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Building a staff to fill a diversity checklist sounds great from a feel good PC perspective, but doesn't seem like a good idea from a success perspective. Hopefully it all works out.
not speaking for anyone other than myself:

i don't want to check a minority box, but i want to be certain we don't dismiss minority candidates because of subconscious bias against people who don't look like administration and decision makers. decision makers are by and large white and male. it's just human nature to distrust those outside of your tribe and lizard brain likes to think people who aren't like you are something to be feared.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 2):
AgMac3rdGenAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 14th, 2020, 1:00 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
It is a great idea as long as they are all the best person for their respective jobs. It has got to help with recruiting, especially in light of current events...

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 14th, 2020, 1:03 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
This is one of the dumbest takes I think I've ever seen :shock:

kofdog

Post by kofdog » December 14th, 2020, 1:03 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:54 pm
kofdog wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:46 am
He said, he'd be at church :)
As long as he will be attending a Utah State Admin sanctioned religion. USU Admin could not have him attending the local predominate religion.
Haha, that's the exact reason my ears perked up when he said it

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 14th, 2020, 1:25 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:54 am
Great energy, actually reminds me of Craig Smith. I trust Hartwell.
I was thinking the same thing!! Actually, this whole hire has a lot of Smith-like vibes for me. Kind of an unknown name, not a flashy hire, but had consistent success as a head coach at a smaller school before this. Both great energy guys. Time will tell if this was the right decision in the end..

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 1:34 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
I think we can all agree that one can do both.

Additionally as minorities are often overlooked for these jobs, you can actually get more bang for your buck by going this route.

I love the color and skill of our new staff a whole lot.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm

I have been told that up-tempo offenses are a "gimmick" by many on here. That said, I am very concerned that's the type of offense we will run.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 14th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm
I have been told that up-tempo offenses are a "gimmick" by many on here. That said, I am very concerned that's the type of offense we will run.
the hurry up offense when we know what play we'll run seems like a good idea. rush up the field, then pause and take a look at the sidelines for instructions, tho... meh.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 14th, 2020, 1:54 pm

It is very easy to see why he was hired. He is enthusiastic, energetic, a hard-worker and appears to genuinely care about the over-all development of young men. I'm impressed with him. I hope he has great success.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm

I think it's always good to have a staff that is representative of your team. There can be a number of factors involved but having someone they can talk to who can show empathy is always a great thing.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » December 14th, 2020, 1:58 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:46 pm
^^^^
Equally important, does he know he needs a blue laser?
and a u-state tattoo on his left cheek don't forget.
These users thanked the author crazywookie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 2:02 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:51 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm
the hurry up offense when we know what play we'll run seems like a good idea. rush up the field, then pause and take a look at the sidelines for instructions, tho... meh.
Yeah, pace is the new fashion.

I'm fine with pushing pace, but not as a replacement for fundamentals like execution, game plans, and strategic setups in play calling.

I like fast food, but not if it's gross.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm

As long as our guys tackle correctly, I will be a happy camper. I don't mind tempo on offense

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:34 pm
AGNUMPI wrote:

Additionally as minorities are often overlooked for these jobs, you can actually get more bang for your buck by going this route.

Not to make this too sandboxy, but what minorities are being overlooked for these jobs? It seems like you are just taking a stigma and running with it.

It seems like sports, coaching included, is one of the more color-blind industries. Not to say that it is perfect, nothing is, but I wouldn't say that minorities are "often" overlooked as there are many minorities in coaching jobs, particularly assistants. If there is a diversity problem it is probably with head coaching positions.

Certainly one "can" do both, but logically speaking we should also be able to agree that if one is trying to fill a diversity quota that certain coaches that may be more qualified will need to be turned down in order to fill the quota. Think about what is being discussed here. a specific number of coaching jobs each with specific coaching requirements granted some overlap, but generally speaking offensive coaches and defensive coaches aren't going to translate and even within O and D there may not be all that much leeway. Then you have to find people from each race to fill those positions. Can you really say you are going to get your best option at each coaching position? Are there going to be some sacrifices made in the name of diversity? And then aren't you creating discrimination in the process by turning down a coach because you needed another race in that position? Maybe I just don't get it.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Sounds like his up tempo offense has some different sets than what we used under Yost/Wells, per BA's words. It also sounds like BA is open to running or passing out of the spread based on the personnel.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 14th, 2020, 2:44 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:34 pm
AGNUMPI wrote:

Not to make this too sandboxy, but what minorities are being overlooked for these jobs? It seems like you are just taking a stigma and running with it.

It seems like sports, coaching included, is one of the more color-blind industries. Not to say that it is perfect, nothing is, but I wouldn't say that minorities are "often" overlooked as there are many minorities in coaching jobs, particularly assistants. If there is a diversity problem it is probably with head coaching positions.

Certainly one "can" do both, but logically speaking we should also be able to agree that if one is trying to fill a diversity quota that certain coaches that may be more qualified will need to be turned down in order to fill the quota. Think about what is being discussed here. a specific number of coaching jobs each with specific coaching requirements granted some overlap, but generally speaking offensive coaches and defensive coaches aren't going to translate and even within O and D there may not be all that much leeway. Then you have to find people from each race to fill those positions. Can you really say you are going to get your best option at each coaching position? Are there going to be some sacrifices made in the name of diversity? And then aren't you creating discrimination in the process by turning down a coach because you needed another race in that position? Maybe I just don't get it.
It's not like there's one best option, and you know you're going to get him if you ask. More like there are 20 roughly equal candidates, some of whom you might get if you ask. If you can get a quality coach AND provide opportunities for minority coaches AND provide role models and possible professional pathways for the multiple racial, religious and socioeconomic groups in the locker room -- from among that group of 20, then why wouldn't you?
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

Nobody here knows anything.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 14th, 2020, 3:03 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm

that's a good question and one that's difficult to get a straight answer for. mostly we are left with believing that minorities in america, mostly black folks, are in general believable and dependable when relating their lived experiences. and their lived experience by and large gives them cause to question whether or not they are dealt with fairly and equitably given the history of systemic racism in the united states.

we've moved the front of the fight against racism away from "whites only" signs in restaurants and the KKK burning crosses to a nexus of human preconceived notion and the subconscious roots of opinion. this is where things get murky.

consider how often, in hiring, the perception that a candidate will be a good hire is borne of a gut feeling. this is, of course, when all things are equal between potential candidates. it is believable to many, and certainly to me, that assumptions about potential, ability, seriousness of negative aspects to a candidate, etc... can all be shifted for or against a candidate when we put our gut feel and character judgment to use. furthermore, it is believable that human beings find those who look like them to be more trustworthy than others. do this in the aggregate, and soon you'll have people with experience in a job sector look and walk and talk like the section of the population that evaluated their skills in the first place and the negative reinforcement loop closes.

this is several steps of "if you believe X, then you may believe Y." i recognize that and would be slow to call anyone individually racist. however, in the aggregate, i believe that the lived experience of minorities and women is trustworthy and truthful.

anyone who avoids hiring a highly qualified candidate in favor of a less than qualified candidate on the basis of skin color is doing everyone a disservice. when the pool of candidates is more or less equal, i would like to see us all accept there is a distinct and real risk for playing down weaknesses among the white men and playing up their accomplishments while doing the opposite for folks of color.

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » December 14th, 2020, 3:06 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:27 pm
NCAA Compliance question: If somebody entered the portal, but regrets his decision (regardless of circumstances or reason for entering), is it true that it is up to his prior school to determine whether he will be permitted to re-enroll? Followup: Does his re-sign affect 25=25 in any way?
I believe if the athlete in the portal keeps in school and re-signs he would not count again as an initial and against our 25.
The players that will benefit are walk-ons that have been in the program for two seasons. they can be awarded the scholarship of one of the players leaving without it counting against the 25 limit
An interesting question would be if a player received a scholarship for 2020 and leaves the team could his initial scholarship be awarded to another player. This is not normally the case but with the NCAA saying that players will not use a year of eligibility can there initial scholarship be used to count against this years 25 limit

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 14th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:37 am
I think you need a deep defense to play very fast on offense. The fast offense, whether you score quick like we did in 2018 or you have a lot of short possessions without much time for a defense to rest. You need to have a strong 2-deep rotation on defense to have guys fresh and ready to play a lot of minutes.
Well said. It kills the D and based upon this year we will have to do some amazing recruiting to have that kind of depth.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » December 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm

I don't care what age, color or even sex the assistant coaches are. I say get the best possible candidate to do the job. People like to keep dragging color into everything. If I'm going in for an important surgery, I don't care what sex or color the doctor is. I just want the best, most qualified person doing it. It would be awesome to have a super diverse coaching staff. It would be even more awesome if we didn't have to make a big deal to tell the world how diverse we are.
These users thanked the author YouEssYou for the post (total 2):
MaverickAggiePIGSKINAGGIE

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 14th, 2020, 4:10 pm

It's like he is a players coach like Gary with some hard a$$ed edge of Matt.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
AngusAgGUSOrangeCountyAggiePIGSKINAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 14th, 2020, 4:15 pm

YouEssYou wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm
I don't care what age, color or even sex the assistant coaches are. I say get the best possible candidate to do the job. People like to keep dragging color into everything. If I'm going in for an important surgery, I don't care what sex or color the doctor is. I just want the best, most qualified person doing it. It would be awesome to have a super diverse coaching staff. It would be even more awesome if we didn't have to make a big deal to tell the world how diverse we are.
Yup.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 14th, 2020, 4:48 pm

"We're going to be at games. We're going to be at church. We're going to be at restaurants in the community."

First thought: Good that they'll actually show up to games.

Second thought: "We're going to be at church" seems like the beginning of the commitment pattern. AgMac, can you make it to Logan tonight to get a firm follow-up date on when BA can be at the Logan 4th Ward for the full two hour session?

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Donman wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm
I think it's always good to have a staff that is representative of your team. There can be a number of factors involved but having someone they can talk to who can show empathy is always a great thing.
So if your team is all white you should have all white coaches? The color of one's skin doesn't determine whether someone can speak to someone else with empathy or even relate to them. You can have people of the same color that don't relate to each other. The quicker we get past all of these mental road blocks and realize that people are people the quicker we can all get down to getting along better. Skin color shouldn't matter. By pandering to the idea that it does matter we are strengthening that idea.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 14th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Some would say a more diverse and talented staff is a great first step to fielding a more diverse and talented team.

You need to have guys on staff that a variety of recruits from different backgrounds can relate to. It’s about recruiting and winning.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
PNW_Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 14th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I only care that the coaches are qualified. If they are minority that is great. The coordinators they are bringing in seem like good qualified candidates. Just treat the players with love and respect and play the best player at each position. Get us back to winningg BA.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 14th, 2020, 8:13 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:

Anderson led with how qualified they were. He called them some of the best coaches in the country. He used diversity to highlight that the team will have a diverse staff- but he qualified them by speaking about qualifications.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Sl7vk

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:51 pm

AgSpaceCase wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:35 am
UFC plays incredibly fast as well with a lot of success so the OC shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel to make it work.
True. It was interesting, going back and looking at UCF's play logs this year, they seem to score early and often (particularly in the wins), usually on the first offensive drive. This is key. If we can get points on the board early, then maybe you can slow up the tempo a bit later in the game, give the defense more rest. Also, during the Wells/Yoast era, we were ALWAYS horrible about utilizing our timeouts - often leaving 3 on the board going into halftime for example. Better strategic use of those could (potentially) help the defensive if we're running up-tempo IMO.

On a separate point, why does every single team (both college/pros) in football run the same stupid, conservative up-the-middle-run play on their first offensive play of each game? Such a waste of a down! It'd cool to see us throw out a trick play or maybe go play-action vertical on that first play (once in a while) - see if you can catch the defensive napping!
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AgSpaceCase

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:58 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:51 pm
On a separate point, why does every single team (both college/pros) in football run the same stupid, conservative up the middle run play on their first offensive play of each game? Such a waste of a down! It'd cool to see us throw out a trick play or maybe go play-action vertical on that first play (once in a while) - see if you can catch the defensive napping!
Except for us against BYU a couple times. Once had a good result, once had a poor result. We have as well scored on the first play on a screen against New Mexico State!
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 15th, 2020, 12:07 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 4:10 pm
It's like he is a players coach like Gary with some hard a$$ed edge of Matt.
Minus GA's half-a$$'d enthusiasm.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic