Blake Anderson??

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by hickaggie » December 11th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Astate4life wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:01 am
Astate4life wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:01 am
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:43 pm
arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
Something we need very badly. Thanks for your insights!
Plus he is a recruiting machine and has contacts everywhere. We are/were in the hunt for a 4* db in Alabama. Just pray Blake leaves most of his D staff behind unless you want the opponents to score in the 40s, 50s and roll up 500/600 yds offense
What recruit are you referring to?
Fegans kid from Oxford, Ala. Rated 4* db, every SEC and Arkansas State are in the running Arkansas-state the only G5 being considered, until now probably.
Well you can safely bet that USU is not one of those G5s that will be considered.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Astate4life wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:01 am
Astate4life wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:01 am
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:43 pm
arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
Something we need very badly. Thanks for your insights!
Plus he is a recruiting machine and has contacts everywhere. We are/were in the hunt for a 4* db in Alabama. Just pray Blake leaves most of his D staff behind unless you want the opponents to score in the 40s, 50s and roll up 500/600 yds offense
What recruit are you referring to?
Fegans kid from Oxford, Ala. Rated 4* db, every SEC and Arkansas State are in the running Arkansas-state the only G5 being considered, until now probably.
Oh. A 2022 kid right? I would be surprised if he goes anywhere but bama.

Redwolf
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Redwolf » December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Us stAte fans thank you for taking Anderson off our hands. We were afraid that we would be stuck with him for another couple of years. Our program has been on the decline for the last 3-4 years and we are hoping Butch Jones can come in and straighten out Anderson’s mess quickly. Anderson is a great guy, but just an average coach. If he was good, he would have been off to a better job years ago. He was just good enough not to get fired but not good enough to land a bigger gig. Hopefully he leaves your program in better shape than he found it. He sure didn’t here.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 14th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Redwolf wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm
Us stAte fans thank you for taking Anderson off our hands. We were afraid that we would be stuck with him for another couple of years. Our program has been on the decline for the last 3-4 years and we are hoping Butch Jones can come in and straighten out Anderson’s mess quickly. Anderson is a great guy, but just an average coach. If he was good, he would have been off to a better job years ago. He was just good enough not to get fired but not good enough to land a bigger gig. Hopefully he leaves your program in better shape than he found it. He sure didn’t here.
Average would be a significant step forward from where we currently find ourselves. I'll take it!!!
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
brownjeansBLUERUFiO

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Redwolf wrote:
I take it you're not part of the Central Baptist family.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOIdaAg93

Nobody here knows anything.

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf » December 14th, 2020, 2:07 pm

OKAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Redwolf wrote:
Lol- no sir. They are about the only folks that wanted to keep him in Jonesboro.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 14th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Redwolf wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:07 pm
OKAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Redwolf wrote:
Lol- no sir. They are about the only folks that wanted to keep him in Jonesboro.
It seems like most folks understand Blake needed to get out of town because of his major loss and the emotions tied to the area, etc.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

cval

Post by cval » December 14th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Hmmm. Shall we believe you, or the other AKState fans who have been telling us how much we will love him?

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf » December 14th, 2020, 2:35 pm

cval wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Hmmm. Shall we believe you, or the other AKState fans who have been telling us how much we will love him?
Go check out our boards. We are estatic!

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf » December 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 14th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Redwolf wrote:
Seemed like he ran a good program - lots of bowl games, no scandals or issues. If you like those you’ll love Butch whose only concerned with himself.
- allegations of hitting players
- playing kids in games with concussions
- calling a player a “traitor” for helping a rape victim

He may win for you but he seems like a class A jerk and he will have no problem leaving you.

Seems like you came to talk a little smack I hope for good things for both programs.

I like winning but not at the cost of student athletes or to cheer for terrible human beings

Good luck to both USU and Ark State.

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf » December 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:51 pm
Redwolf wrote:
Seemed like he ran a good program - lots of bowl games, no scandals or issues. If you like those you’ll love Butch whose only concerned with himself.
- allegations of hitting players
- playing kids in games with concussions
- calling a player a “traitor” for helping a rape victim

He may win for you but he seems like a class A jerk and he will have no problem leaving you.

Seems like you came to talk a little smack I hope for good things for both programs.

I like winning but not at the cost of student athletes or to cheer for terrible human beings

Good luck to both USU and Ark State.
I’m not a huge fan of the Butch Jones hire. Hopefully he does what he’s supposed to do and moves on to bigger and better things quickly. Our programs are both relatively the same- we shouldn’t want a coach longer than about 3 years. If they’re here longer than that, it mostly means that they didn’t do a good enough job to land a bigger gig.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 14th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Butch Jones also once had one of his assistant coaches try to trip an opposing player after he made an interception.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 3:32 pm

From his record it seems the only down year was 2020. You throw that out he averaged 8 wins per year and was consistently 8, 7, or 9 wins. Even with 2020 he averaged about 7.25 wins per year.
Do Arkansas State fans think they should do better than that?

UTfan

Post by UTfan » December 14th, 2020, 5:10 pm

I checked out your board. It’s the same few people constantly complaining. Even still today, despite the fact that he is now (thankfully) our coach. I read several personal attacks (many regarding him dating and trying to move on with his life) which speak volumes to the credibility of your site. Wish you the best but take that nonsense somewhere else. Glad to take him off your hands!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 5:19 pm

The majority of the AState fans that have come by are great.
When you look at these awful 247 message boards, it really makes you feel lucky that we have a place like this to post.

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf » December 14th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Y’all will enjoy him. You’ll enjoy him even more when he’s gone! Like I said, great guy, but not much of a coach. Good luck.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 14th, 2020, 7:43 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 3:32 pm
From his record it seems the only down year was 2020. You throw that out he averaged 8 wins per year and was consistently 8, 7, or 9 wins. Even with 2020 he averaged about 7.25 wins per year.
Do Arkansas State fans think they should do better than that?
I will take that any day of the week. Do i want 10 wins every year, yes but i know it is not feasible. Seems like a good guy that runs a clean program. I look forward to being relevant again in the conference.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiObrownjeans

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 14th, 2020, 10:32 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:42 pm
Redwolf wrote:
Average would be a significant step forward from where we currently find ourselves. I'll take it!!!
Yep. Blake Anderson had four 8 win seasons at Arkansas State and two conference titles. We have had four 8 win seasons in the last 40 years and one outright conference title. I'll be happy to see us consistently winning 8 games.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Blake Anderson is the Matt Wells of Arkansas State in the sense that he is irrationally disliked for providing sustained success.

Most on this board were excited when Texas Tech hired Wells and were excited about the P5 retread we hired to replace him. Boy were we wrong — the grass was not greener on the other side.

Hope it works out better for you guys, but the parallels are there.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
IdaAg93

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 14th, 2020, 11:17 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm
Blake Anderson is the Matt Wells of Arkansas State in the sense that he is irrationally disliked for providing sustained success.

Most on this board were excited when Texas Tech hired Wells and were excited about the P5 retread we hired to replace him. Boy were we wrong — the grass was not greener on the other side.

I dont see that at all. Matt Wells has a losing record 5 of the last 6. Blake Anderson has a winning record in 6 of the last 7.

Very different.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 14th, 2020, 11:33 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:17 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I dont see that at all. Matt Wells has a losing record 5 of the last 6. Blake Anderson has a winning record in 6 of the last 7.

Very different.
Well, you don’t get to count the last two years at Texas Tech in evaluating the existence of a parallel based on facts as they existed when Wells left.

Seems to me like both had a bunch of bowl seasons at G5 schools and had one outlier losing season. Overall the MW is a tougher conference than the Sun Belt, so I value Matt’s 6-7 seasons as much as Blake’s 7 win seasons. Blake’s highs were also not as high as the highs we had under Wells (two 10 win seasons, rankings in the CFP for multiple weeks in 2018). On the other hand, Blake did lock down a few conference titles.

Seems pretty comparable to me. I am happy Blake is our coach now, and the Wells was our coach when he was.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 15th, 2020, 9:04 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:33 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.
Well, you don’t get to count the last two years at Texas Tech in evaluating the existence of a parallel based on facts as they existed when Wells left.

Seems to me like both had a bunch of bowl seasons at G5 schools and had one outlier losing season. Overall the MW is a tougher conference than the Sun Belt, so I value Matt’s 6-7 seasons as much as Blake’s 7 win seasons. Blake’s highs were also not as high as the highs we had under Wells (two 10 win seasons, rankings in the CFP for multiple weeks in 2018). On the other hand, Blake did lock down a few conference titles.

Seems pretty comparable to me. I am happy Blake is our coach now, and the Wells was our coach when he was.
Not to me. Blake's lows weren't as low either. Matt was very very close to being fired here. Matt grossly under preformed with the talent he was left. Nearly got fired here. Hit the lottery with Jordan. Went all in on 1 season recruiting wise and hit the jackpot. Got a new Job .

I for 1 dont miss Matt. I wish him luck. But there was nothing great or special there. Very average.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 15th, 2020, 9:51 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 9:04 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.

Not to me. Blake's lows weren't as low either. Matt was very very close to being fired here. Matt grossly under preformed with the talent he was left. Nearly got fired here. Hit the lottery with Jordan. Went all in on 1 season recruiting wise and hit the jackpot. Got a new Job .

I for 1 dont miss Matt. I wish him luck. But there was nothing great or special there. Very average.
Gary did the same thing. Hit the lottery with Chuckie and went all in with a ton of JuCo transfers in the 2011 (especially) and 2012 recruiting classes.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 15th, 2020, 10:02 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 9:51 am
Gary did the same thing. Hit the lottery with Chuckie and went all in with a ton of JuCo transfers in the 2011 (especially) and 2012 recruiting classes.
I think we're letting more recent events cloud Aggie football history. Gary 2.0 was an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions. But Gary 1.0 changed the entire culture of USU football. He left a stacked team that had double digit wins for years (despite relying on 3rd and 4th string QBs).

Rip Gary apart all you want for his second stint here, but Gary changed Aggie football.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOIdaAg93USU78

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 15th, 2020, 10:18 am

aggies22 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.

I think the team Gary left MATT may be our most talented team in the last 40 years... The team Matt left Gary was not very talented.

And was comparing Matt vs Blake there. I think Gary's 1.0 here was a very different job from either Matt or Blakes 1st HC job.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
AgMac

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 15th, 2020, 11:18 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 10:18 am
aggies22 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.

I think the team Gary left MATT may be our most talented team in the last 40 years... The team Matt left Gary was not very talented.

And was comparing Matt vs Blake there. I think Gary's 1.0 here was a very different job from either Matt or Blakes 1st HC job.
I'd have to compare rosters, you may be right.

I agree with you on the second point. Gary had NO winning to tradition to build on. However, Gary did have a much weaker conference to compete in.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 15th, 2020, 11:19 am

AgMac wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 10:02 am
aggies22 wrote:
I think we're letting more recent events cloud Aggie football history. Gary 2.0 was an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions. But Gary 1.0 changed the entire culture of USU football. He left a stacked team that had double digit wins for years (despite relying on 3rd and 4th string QBs).

Rip Gary apart all you want for his second stint here, but Gary changed Aggie football.
Are you saying Gary had multiple double digit win seasons?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2020, 12:03 pm

AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

From the disaster that was Brent Guy to Andy 1.0's 2012 season was a journey of galactic proportions. No question. Credit where credit's due.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 15th, 2020, 12:56 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.

And Woodward -- was he a Wells recruit?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:18 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.

I agree with you on the second point. Gary had NO winning to tradition to build on. However, Gary did have a much weaker conference to compete in.
The most important thing that Gary 1.0 had that his predecessors did not have was a vision of what USU football could be. He saw the gem within the rocks. Then, he had the ability to sell the program to the university, the donors, the fans, assistant coaches, and recruits. What he did in his first stop here was Herculean in scope. He took an under-funded outcast that was perennially in the Bottom 10 in the country with a shoestring budget and horrible facilities (although they were on the way to getting better) and created a winning program.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Eutaw St. Aggie

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 15th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:18 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very different.

The most important thing that Gary 1.0 had that his predecessors did not have was a vision of what USU football could be. He saw the gem within the rocks. Then, he had the ability to sell the program to the university, the donors, the fans, assistant coaches, and recruits. What he did in his first stop here was Herculean in scope. He took an under-funded outcast that was perennially in the Bottom 10 in the country with a shoestring budget and horrible facilities (although they were on the way to getting better) and created a winning program.
I agree with this, but I think Brent Guy deserves some credit. I know I am in the minority on this but I think he did some very good things for the program but we were so far behind and so bad it was hard to see the progress.

We were 1 Fresno State 57? yard field goal away from Brent Guy staying on and GA staying at Utah. IMHO

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 15th, 2020, 2:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:19 am
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Are you saying Gary had multiple double digit win seasons?
Admittedly, my statement was not entirely clear and lends itself to the following multiple interpretations: (i) Gary left a team that, while Gary was here, had multiple double digit wins, (ii) Gary left a team that, for a period commencing some time while Gary was here and ending some time after Gary left, had multiple double digit wins, or (iii) Gary left a team that, after Gary left, had double digit wins for multiple years.

Fortunately, and despite my vagueness, we can look at actual historical records and verify that Gary's team, while he was here, did not have double digit wins in multiple years. Neither did Gary's team have double digit wins after Gary left (by 2018, it was not Gary's team). By default, the correct interpretation is No. 2. Hope that helps.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 16th, 2020, 1:05 am

Redwolf wrote:
Burr, I just got Déjà vu chills.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 16th, 2020, 1:13 am

Matt seemed "this" close to being a goner. He owes Hartwell millions for forcing him to hire Yoast and start playing Love over Myers.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on December 16th, 2020, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked Previous topicNext topic