My experiences with Noelle Cockett (very different from the allegations made)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 13th, 2020, 10:19 pm

If I can share a few personal experiences.

As I have previously stated, I know Noelle Cockett. I worked for USU for about 6 years, five of those she was my boss. As a new employee, I had several individual meetings with her to monitor my progress. I also knew her at other professional events. She was over about 200 employees at the time, the vast majority were members of the pre-dominant faith. She is extremely bright, and I always held her in high regard.

My employment ended under less than ideal circumstances due to some non-university budget issues from an outside party. I was pretty disappointed in how it all happened, but even through all of it, I never lost any respect for her professionalism. She told me that if I ever needed a good reference or anything, she would be willing to help me. She never belittled my religious beliefs, in fact we never discussed them. I called her the morning my parent died, who was also a university employee of over 30 years to let her know the news. She was extremely kind and understanding as I was dealing with other issues as well at the time.

I ran into her at a Bees game a couple of years ago and she recognized me. She was the same kind person there, she even sent me a message later that saying it was good to see me again. She had several hundred employees, but I did feel like she cared about me even when decisions were made by the Provost at the time and former University President.

I could have been very bitter about how things turned out with USU. However, she did assist me with things, and I never had any inclination of prejudice at all. She was recommended for the job by Stan Albrecht, who was also a member of the pre-dominant faith.

I guess what I am stating is the picture painted from one Zoom call does not match the Noelle Cockett I know. I could have stated a lot of things when my job ended a few years ago, but even as a former employee, I still hold her in high regard. I lost a lot of respect for many of the players and coaches over how this was handled. Parting shots really make you look foolish, I did my best to avoid them when the newspaper asked me about my job ending.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 11):
TurtleslcaggBLUERUFiOUSU78MWCFAN12918AGGUSUGrad01FloridaAggie13bluegrouseflying_scotsman2.0 and one more user

jimbo

Re: My experiences with Noelle Cockett (very different from the allegations made)

Post by jimbo » December 13th, 2020, 10:36 pm

I agree, this all seems completely out of character for Cockett, but she is losing the court of public opinion big time on social media which as you know may be enough to force action. Would you and others be willing to publicly echo these sentiments online outside this forum?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: My experiences with Noelle Cockett (very different from the allegations made)

Post by brownjeans » December 13th, 2020, 10:40 pm

I'm certain anything she said wasn't intended in the way it was received. However, that doesn't mean the players don't feel the way they feel.
Care needs to be taken when we speak that we make sure we're understood, and care needs to be taken when we listen, to ensure we understand. When in understanding is in doubt, it's always good for a speaker and listener to get back together and talk it out.
I think that in this case, it would have made all the difference.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 5):
splintorbosuaggieUSUGrad01mcaggie1AGinNEIowa

justhidin
Has thanked: 0

Post by justhidin » December 13th, 2020, 10:48 pm

The players never gave her that chance. The coach in charge (Maile) should have forced them all in a room to talk it out on Friday. Then got everyone on the plane. That’s all I need to know about him. He’s not qualified to be the coach. And his statement is even more proof. A true blood Aggie wouldn’t burn the house down on his way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author justhidin for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyPIGSKINAGGIE

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 13th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Just a quick thought. How does all of this look on Maile's resume?

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 13th, 2020, 10:52 pm

justhidin wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:48 pm
The players never gave her that chance. The coach in charge (Maile) should have forced them all in a room to talk it out on Friday. Then got everyone on the plane. That’s all I need to know about him. He’s not qualified to be the coach. And his statement is even more proof. A true blood Aggie wouldn’t burn the house down on his way out.
If you were a true-blooded Aggie and, rightly or wrongly, thought discrimination existed at USU, would you want things to improve?

justhidin

Post by justhidin » December 13th, 2020, 10:52 pm

918AGG wrote:Just a quick thought. How does all of this look on Maile's resume?

These users thanked the author justhidin for the post:
JSHarvey

justhidin

Post by justhidin » December 13th, 2020, 10:54 pm

brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
If you were a true-blooded Aggie and, rightly or wrongly, thought discrimination existed at USU, would you want things to improve?
Burning the house down could destroy it permanently. If you think that’s what it takes, I guess. But, it’s not. There’s deep problems there. And Maile has been around for most of them. Maybe he’s the problem.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 13th, 2020, 10:57 pm

justhidin wrote:

Unfortunately this may be the end of his coaching career. Hence the reason he went all in on his statement today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » December 13th, 2020, 11:10 pm

jimbo wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:36 pm
I agree, this all seems completely out of character for Cockett, but she is losing the court of public opinion big time on social media which as you know may be enough to force action. Would you and others be willing to publicly echo these sentiments online outside this forum?
Assuming the events this week were all a misunderstanding, for which I think most Aggies hope - it for sure comes on top of real lived experiences of racism and discrimination many of our players likely face on almost a daily basis in our community.
Even if this conversation between the president and players turns into a nothingburger, I hope it illuminates to everyone why this situation may have escalated. Quite frankly, I'm surprised something this high profile hasn't happened before now.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 13th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Donman wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:57 pm
justhidin wrote:

Unfortunately this may be the end of his coaching career. Hence the reason he went all in on his statement today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It won't be the end of his coaching career. Some team will pick him up as a position coach.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2020, 12:11 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:40 pm
I'm certain anything she said wasn't intended in the way it was received. However, that doesn't mean the players don't feel the way they feel.
Care needs to be taken when we speak that we make sure we're understood, and care needs to be taken when we listen, to ensure we understand. When in understanding is in doubt, it's always good for a speaker and listener to get back together and talk it out.
Whose feelings are primary or more important? The players or Cockett's?

This is turning into a public lynching with Cockett deemed a bigot because some players felt offended.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
JSHarvey

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2020, 12:15 am

thrashsoundly wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 11:10 pm
jimbo wrote:
Assuming the events this week were all a misunderstanding, for which I think most Aggies hope - it for sure comes on top of real lived experiences of racism and discrimination many of our players likely face on almost a daily basis in our community.
Even if this conversation between the president and players turns into a nothingburger, I hope it illuminates to everyone why this situation may have escalated. Quite frankly, I'm surprised something this high profile hasn't happened before now.
So Cockett being dragged through the mud as a bigot on social media is appropriate because racism exists?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
JSHarvey

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 14th, 2020, 6:32 am

jimbo wrote:
I have, a former intern of mine (who I also like) posted a link to the story. Several students jumped on it, and I said many of the same things I said here. To his credit, he said both sides need to come out.

I really don't recall any other coach, fired or hired somewhere else, ever going out this way. I have been passed over for jobs etc. at different times. Welcome to the world.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 6:39 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 6:32 am
jimbo wrote:
I have, a former intern of mine (who I also like) posted a link to the story. Several students jumped on it, and I said many of the same things I said here. To his credit, he said both sides need to come out.

I really don't recall any other coach, fired or hired somewhere else, ever going out this way. I have been passed over for jobs etc. at different times. Welcome to the world.
Maile is proving himself to be completely unhirable in the future.

It started with his “if I don’t get this job I’m leaving” garbage and has devolved from there.
Last edited by Sl7vk on December 14th, 2020, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 14th, 2020, 6:57 am

918AGG wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Just a quick thought. How does all of this look on Maile's resume?
You never want to have the perception that you are inclined to throw your bosses under the bus.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 7:04 am

justhidin wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
Burning the house down could destroy it permanently. If you think that’s what it takes, I guess. But, it’s not. There’s deep problems there. And Maile has been around for most of them. Maybe he’s the problem.
How can someone possibly improve things if asking for an investigation to find evidence on whether or not discrimination exists is burning the house down?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 7:06 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:11 am
brownjeans wrote:

This is turning into a public lynching with Cockett deemed a bigot because some players felt offended.
Good question. Do you think the answer is clear?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 7:10 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:04 am
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
How can someone possibly improve things if asking for an investigation to find evidence on whether or not discrimination exists is burning the house down?
It has to do with Frank encouraging his team to not take the field on Saturday.
Where it started who knows.
I suspect Frank became a divisive influence in our locker room the day Andersen got the job and he was retained on staff. Should have been his job and he began the process that has led us to the most embarrassing point in USU football history.
Last edited by Sl7vk on December 14th, 2020, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 7:11 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
jimbo wrote:

I keep seeing statements like this (not just from you) - do you think Frank is driving all this? The only thing I'd say Frank has done is not actively stop the direction others around him are going. And sure, that's a responsibility he had and didn't fulfill - but he isn't the ONLY person with a responsibility to stand up, stand out, and speak with reason.
Couldn't one or more of the players do it? Couldn't one of the other coaches do it (Anderson is here now)? Couldn't the AD do it? Couldn't President Cockett do it?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 7:13 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:10 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:04 am
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
It has to do with Frank encouraging his team to not take the field on Saturday.
Where it started who knows.
I suspect Frank became a decisive influence in our locker room the day Andersen got the job and he was retained on staff. Should have been his job and he began the process that has led us to the most embarrassing point in USU football history.
Do you have evidence that Frank encouraged his team to boycott? All I see is an opportunity to intervene that wasn't taken.

justhidin

Post by justhidin » December 14th, 2020, 7:14 am

brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
Not getting the players in line to go play the game is burning the house down. That’s going to end up costing the university millions of dollars. At some point, between that, and players history with sexual assault, the trustees could very well think football is doing more harm than good.

These users thanked the author justhidin for the post:
USU78

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2020, 7:20 am

justhidin wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:14 am
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
Not getting the players in line to go play the game is burning the house down. That’s going to end up costing the university millions of dollars. At some point, between that, and players history with sexual assault, the trustees could very well think football is doing more harm than good.
So because he effectively said, "if that's how you feel, I support your decision," he burned the house down? It's him. Just him. Not any of the players, not any of the other coaches, not the AD, or President Cockett -- all of whom could have intervened and didn't.
I mean, I fault Frank for not intervening. But I don't know what the players told Frank and it's quite possible he was not himself. I also don't think he's the only one who could have done something - just the one who would have been most effective.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2020, 7:25 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:06 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:11 am
brownjeans wrote:

Good question. Do you think the answer is clear?
Our one one one exchange is meant for a Sandbox discussion :cheers: . The entire paradigm is false, rooted purely on emotion and the zeitgeist of our current social climate.

justhidin

Post by justhidin » December 14th, 2020, 7:36 am

brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
So because he effectively said, "if that's how you feel, I support your decision," he burned the house down? It's him. Just him. Not any of the players, not any of the other coaches, not the AD, or President Cockett -- all of whom could have intervened and didn't.
I mean, I fault Frank for not intervening. But I don't know what the players told Frank and it's quite possible he was not himself. I also don't think he's the only one who could have done something - just the one who would have been most effective.
He’s the only one that could’ve intervened. There’s no way Cockett or Hartwell change the players minds. The players went right to nuclear war. Frank most likely could’ve prevented it and didn’t. He’s complicit. That taints his reputation.

He should have a much better understanding of the effects canceling would have long term than the players do. He’s the only adult in the room at that point. The players are dumb. Everyone is before the age of 22. He should have got them on the plane. He would have looked like a hero. And if the players love him as much as they claim, I’m sure he could have done it if he wanted.

These users thanked the author justhidin for the post (total 4):
2004AGSl7vkJSHarveyPIGSKINAGGIE

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 14th, 2020, 7:39 am

justhidin wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:36 am
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
justhidin wrote:
He’s the only one that could’ve intervened. There’s no way Cockett or Hartwell change the players minds. The players went right to nuclear war. Frank most likely could’ve prevented it and didn’t. He’s complicit. That taints his reputation.

He should have a much better understanding of the effects canceling would have long term than the players do. He’s the only adult in the room at that point. The players are dumb. Everyone is before the age of 22. He should have got them on the plane. He would have looked like a hero. And if the players love him as much as they claim, I’m sure he could have done it if he wanted.

Until he was relieved managing player personnel was a large part of his job.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
JSHarvey

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 14th, 2020, 7:51 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 7:11 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
jimbo wrote:

I keep seeing statements like this (not just from you) - do you think Frank is driving all this? The only thing I'd say Frank has done is not actively stop the direction others around him are going. And sure, that's a responsibility he had and didn't fulfill - but he isn't the ONLY person with a responsibility to stand up, stand out, and speak with reason.
Couldn't one or more of the players do it? Couldn't one of the other coaches do it (Anderson is here now)? Couldn't the AD do it? Couldn't President Cockett do it?
Look just like anyone else that was not on the Zoom call, it is all speculation about what was actually said. This much I do know, he released his own statement and in it he called for a full investigation about whether religious and racial prejudiuce were at play at USU. (Because he didn't get the job.)

There are only 130 of those jobs available, some people go their entire coaching careers never getting a job as the Head Coach. The team did not get any better under his watch, and granted it was a dumpster fire to begin with when it started. Very few interim coaches are ever named head coaches when the other is fired, none of this is outside of any norm.

As I stated, I had my own issues with USU a few years back, some I will not discuss completely on a public forum. (And mine was not dealing with job performance.) But even with everything that occurred, I never lost any regard for her in the entire process. So my experience with her is completely opposite from any claim being circulated in the media right now.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyUSU78

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » December 14th, 2020, 9:06 am

thrashsoundly wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 11:10 pm
jimbo wrote:
If it's exaggerated or a misunderstanding, then the players who led the charge need to face consequences. If you put potentially life ruining accusations out there, you'd better be damned sure that you are right.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post:
NavyBlue

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » December 15th, 2020, 9:05 pm

How long do you expect the independent investigation to take? Days? weeks?

coolag

Post by coolag » December 15th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Did Frank really think he deserved the job? Sorry but I find that as believable as Duryea being "completely blindsided" he was being fired.

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2020, 10:29 pm

My bet is she said something stupid, but had no malicious intent behind it. Players that loved Maile and wanted him to be their coach took it to mean something worse than it was as they got the news Maile was gone.

Hopefully it gets resolved without doing more damage to the program or the university. One good thing about covid is there are so many cancelled games that USU players refusing to play didn't become a bigger deal. Had this been a normal season, this story would have been massive. Of course, players might not refuse to play in a normal season.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
brownjeansBLUERUFiO

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 15th, 2020, 11:35 pm

My experience with Noell Cockett has been similar to that of NowherelandAggie. While I only interacted with her on an executive/business level (and not a personal level) before she became the university president she always struck me as a decent and top-drawer individual. She did not come across as pompous or unapproachable. She has great people skills. When I saw the candidates for the president’s job I concluded that the decision was going to be mighty easy for the BOTs.

Absent someone presenting something concrete from her discussion with the football players I’ve got to lay this off as being a big misunderstanding.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » December 16th, 2020, 7:38 am

utaggies wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:35 pm
My experience with Noell Cockett has been similar to that of NowherelandAggie. While I only interacted with her on an executive/business level (and not a personal level) before she became the university president she always struck me as a decent and top-drawer individual. She did not come across as pompous or unapproachable. She has great people skills. When I saw the candidates for the president’s job I concluded that the decision was going to be mighty easy for the BOTs.

Absent someone presenting something concrete from her discussion with the football players I’ve got to lay this off as being a big misunderstanding.
How dare you impugn all bottom drawers everywhere with your comment.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyToedrAg

Locked Previous topicNext topic