Frank's Statement

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JSHarvey

Re: Frank's Statement

Post by JSHarvey » December 13th, 2020, 2:26 pm

That statement was pure idiocy. In spite of the fourth paragraph, the first three paragraphs burned any hope of: "protect[ing] both the institution and players that I love."

Frank likely just ended his career as a coach for quite a while. Had he thought about this a bit more he would have realized:
1. The school made a significant effort to keep him on during the last transition, that means they value his role - and had he not agitated for the top job in a way that polarized the players he likely could have had many more years at USU.
2. Given he had already been looked over once before for the job that it was unlikely he would be the top candidate this time around.
3. Given the performance of the team this year his credibility for being able to "turn things around" wasn't great.

After that statement I would guess he likely won't have any role at USU (or anywhere else) for quite a while - even if what the players allege happened (which I don't think it did).
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
USU78aggiesdotcom

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm

I for one, given what I know of Frank and very surprised by this statement. I hold him in high esteem and find the conspiracy theory some are espousing with this hard to imagine. Frank wouldn't normally act this way. Also, the players wouldn't normally give up a chance to play. Also, Noelle wouldn't act this way, but given her statement, however she meant it, she at least said something that allowed for this type of a reaction. I am reserving judgement on all of this.

You guys realize that Frank would realize the same issues you are bringing up and yet we have this statement. It would be easy for him to walk away, but he is risking a lot by speaking up and I don't think it would be done lightly, with evil intent, or without some pretty serious concerns behind it.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
TransplantedSpud

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:26 pm
That statement was pure idiocy. In spite of the fourth paragraph, the first three paragraphs burned any hope of: "protect[ing] both the institution and players that I love."

Frank likely just ended his career as a coach for quite a while. Had he thought about this a bit more he would have realized:
1. The school made a significant effort to keep him on during the last transition, that means they value his role - and had he not agitated for the top job in a way that polarized the players he likely could have had many more years at USU.
2. Given he had already been looked over once before for the job that it was unlikely he would be the top candidate this time around.
3. Given the performance of the team this year his credibility for being able to "turn things around" wasn't great.

After that statement I would guess he likely won't have any role at USU (or anywhere else) for quite a while - even if what the players allege happened (which I don't think it did).
I guarantee you that your concerns are not the concerns of the attorney who drafted it.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm

The more I've watched things play out the last 5 weeks the more it's my opinion that FM was the divisive influence on the locker room. By creating factions you can effectively advance your position, and it appears this was FM's strategy from the start.

The further he gets from our players, our program and our University the better it will be for everyone.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
2004AGGreenAg

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 13th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm
The more I've watched things play out the last 5 weeks the more it's my opinion that FM was the divisive influence on the locker room. By creating factions you can effectively advance your position, and it appears this was FM's strategy from the start.

The further he gets from our players, our program and our University the better it will be for everyone.
I don't buy that.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 13th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Based on our defensive performance, one could argue FM has his position because of his ethnicity.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:21 pm
The Polynesian pipeline isn’t going anywhere. Stop overreacting.

None of the alleged comments have even been confirmed. Morgan Scalley admitted to using the N word and the Utes are still bringing in talented black athletes.

At the end of the day, memories are short and 18 year old kids just want to play football. If you think a kid with one FBS offer is going to turn down Utah State, you’re up in the night.
Most likely you are right as long as we put together the right staff. I do worry this story gets even bigger with lawsuits coming. This could look really bad for the school if it extends outside of sports media.
Hoping that the independent investigation proves that any comments made about religion or culture were misinterpreted by the players. If that happens (and I expect it will) then I’m not too worried that there will be a lawsuit. Frank and his attorneys won’t have the same resources and $$$ to keep up with the university. Without any real teeth, this would be a frivolous lawsuit to pursue.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm

GeoAg wrote:
I for one, given what I know of Frank and very surprised by this statement. I hold him in high esteem and find the conspiracy theory some are espousing with this hard to imagine. Frank wouldn't normally act this way. Also, the players wouldn't normally give up a chance to play. Also, Noelle wouldn't act this way, but given her statement, however she meant it, she at least said something that allowed for this type of a reaction. I am reserving judgement on all of this.

You guys realize that Frank would realize the same issues you are bringing up and yet we have this statement. It would be easy for him to walk away, but he is risking a lot by speaking up and I don't think it would be done lightly, with evil intent, or without some pretty serious concerns behind it.
Risking a lot? That's laughable. The risk is minimal compared to reward$$$$$$$$.

This is, 100%, about Frank getting a payday. Think about it, he was part of the leadership of a program he is now claiming discriminates. Perhaps you would have said something during the past 15 years if you noticed any discrimination.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 3):
2004AG3rdGenAggie918AGG

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

None of the alleged comments have even been confirmed. Morgan Scalley admitted to using the N word and the Utes are still bringing in talented black athletes.

At the end of the day, memories are short and 18 year old kids just want to play football. If you think a kid with one FBS offer is going to turn down Utah State, you’re up in the night.
Most likely you are right as long as we put together the right staff. I do worry this story gets even bigger with lawsuits coming. This could look really bad for the school if it extends outside of sports media.
Hoping that the independent investigation proves that any comments made about religion or culture were misinterpreted by the players. If that happens (and I expect it will) then I’m not too worried that there will be a lawsuit. Frank and his attorneys won’t have the same resources and $$$ to keep up with the university. Without any real teeth, this would be a frivolous lawsuit to pursue.
Oh I'm sure he'll have all the resources he needs. This isn't that intensive of a case. It will probably settle pretty quickly given that its the flagship football program affected.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
ineptimusprime

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

Yeah if there is nothing there than there is nothing there. We'll see what comes out. I do hope it is nothing and we can all move on.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Naked Bull Rider

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 13th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

Oh, the way this statement reads, it’s probably a safe bet there’ll be a lawsuit unless the players are completely discredited. Frank will then get some quick insurance money and USU be left trying to pick up the pieces.

I’d tell the carrier to pony up the money too unless we had something really solid to defend on. The hit to the university’s reputation from an ongoing lawsuit based on alleged discrimination is much worse than any insurance money being paid out.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on December 13th, 2020, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » December 13th, 2020, 2:37 pm

GeoAg wrote:

Then Frank needs to F#a@ing say what the alleged quote is and he needs to do it now. Vague accusations can't be fought. The reputational damage has already been done and we have no idea what was supposedly said. Every second that goes by without clarification makes me less likely to believe it.
Last edited by CastIronAggie on December 13th, 2020, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 13th, 2020, 2:38 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

Oh I'm sure he'll have all the resources he needs. This isn't that intensive of a case. It will probably settle pretty quickly given that its the flagship football program affected.
Unless there is some huge smoking gun, I really hope the university doesn't settle and Franks football coaching career is over.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » December 13th, 2020, 2:38 pm

This is exactly what Frank had to say. He didn't accuse the school directly. He said based off of what the players told him. Then he calls for an investigation that is already underway. He is supporting the players who supported him while not wanting any immediate direct action. Too much over reaction to his statement
These users thanked the author hvaggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm

hvaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:38 pm
This is exactly what Frank had to say. He didn't accuse the school directly. He said based off of what the players told him. Then he calls for an investigation that is already underway. He is supporting the players who supported him while not wanting any immediate direct action. Too much over reaction to his statement
Understanding his statement is key. I am not being critical of Frank at all here. Given the information his counsel is running the show and doing his job. Anyone would do the same at this stage. Protect your interests and your potential legal claims.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 13th, 2020, 2:43 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm
hvaggie wrote:
Understanding his statement is key. I am not being critical of Frank at all here. Given the information his counsel is running the show and doing his job. Anyone would do the same at this stage. Protect your interests and your potential legal claims.
I think the attorney who drafted this could have done a better job balancing Frank’s future employability. There’s not really a need to go all in at this point.

cval

Post by cval » December 13th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Prior to this statement, I could see hope for an amicable resolution. Now, I don't see that happening.

I think his counsel didn't do a very good job of keeping that option in play.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:43 pm
hickaggie wrote:
hvaggie wrote:
I think the attorney who drafted this could have done a better job balancing Frank’s future employability. There’s not really a need to go all in at this point.
Yeah, it pretty much throws the hammer down. I'd want to be real sure of my evidence. That is the odd thing there. I think one attorney or firm is involved with the players and Frank and is trying to keep the players actual statements out of the public until he or she is comfortable with the exact allegations and can give a joint statement to that effect.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 13th, 2020, 2:50 pm

This part of his statement leads me to believe that Frank did absolutely nothing to get our players on the field on Saturday, and to the contrary encouraged their actions.

“As disheartened as I am to learn that this kind of religious and cultural bias exists (because I am Polynesian) at Utah State University, I am equally heart-broken for my players – many of whom are seniors who were preparing for the last game of their collegiate experience. I want to express my upmost respect and admiration for their decision to stand up for what they believe in — and I’m truly honored that they would stand up for me.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:43 pm
hickaggie wrote:
hvaggie wrote:
Yeah, it pretty much throws the hammer down. I'd want to be real sure of my evidence. That is the odd thing there. I think one attorney or firm is involved with the players and Frank and is trying to keep the players actual statements out of the public until he or she is comfortable with the exact allegations and can give a joint statement to that effect.
Yup. Gotta massage Cockett's "statement" behind closed doors until you get them just right at the players' depositions. 🙄

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 2:50 pm
This part of his statement leads me to believe that Frank did absolutely nothing to get our players on the field on Saturday, and to the contrary encouraged their actions.

“As disheartened as I am to learn that this kind of religious and cultural bias exists (because I am Polynesian) at Utah State University, I am equally heart-broken for my players – many of whom are seniors who were preparing for the last game of their collegiate experience. I want to express my upmost respect and admiration for their decision to stand up for what they believe in — and I’m truly honored that they would stand up for me.
It helps his case $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that they didn't play on Saturday.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 13th, 2020, 2:52 pm

And yet still no actual quote or evidence produced of claimed discrimination. And at what point do we all just accuse people of discrimination to get what we want? The world doesn't work that way.......or maybe it does. Sad.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieAgMac

Regulator of Class

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 13th, 2020, 2:57 pm

December 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

Yeah if there is nothing there than there is nothing there. We'll see what comes out. I do hope it is nothing and we can all move on.
Couldn’t agree more! Fingers crossed the whole thing shakes out quickly. I’d hate for this to continue to be a headline going into spring ball. The team needs to stay focused.

As for Frank, wherever he ends up I wish him success.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
vegasaggie

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Board Lawyers...

So, let's say that the hearsay of hearsay is correct (or at least can be somewhat substantiated.) Cockett said that she was concerned about him being from Utah and being Polynesian.

What does a settlement look like?

Anderson just signed a $5M contract. Are those the damages that Maile is looking for, a $5M settlement? More/less?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » December 13th, 2020, 3:05 pm

I spoke to a former long time employee of USU who rubbed shoulders with USU adminstration over the years. This person indicated that there was definitely religious discrimination practiced with hiring decisions, among other things. This person is not following closely this football issue but what the players are saying happened is consistent with what this person has seen.

Personally I'm not sure what to think.
These users thanked the author WannabeAgAlum for the post:
TransplantedSpud

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 13th, 2020, 3:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 1:49 pm
:anonymous:

Wow. Just wow. Hope someone was recording that Zoom call.

Also, to whatever lawyer wrote this, the word is “utmost,” not “upmost.”
:lol: :thanks:

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 13th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Looks like Maile is going to play the victim card and double down on it.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » December 13th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Erase the names on top of the resumes, ask 1 million people who know anything about football to choose the best coach.
1 million people do not choose Frank, I hope his legal team takes this into consideration.
what a tool

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » December 13th, 2020, 3:13 pm

I’m not going to fry Frank over this yet. It appears he’s getting his information on what was said from the players, and if he was discriminated against on the basis of religion and race, as the players seemed to be convinced of, he has every right to feel slighted and also every right to want to rectify the situation, whatever that results in. Any of you would/should do the same if your employer discriminates against you for the same reasons. I’m withholding judgment for now and I want to express my gratitude to Frank for the many years of fantastic recruiting and dedication that he devoted to his alma-mater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post:
TransplantedSpud

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 13th, 2020, 3:14 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:05 pm
I spoke to a former long time employee of USU who rubbed shoulders with USU adminstration over the years. This person indicated that there was definitely religious discrimination practiced with hiring decisions, among other things. This person is not following closely this football issue but what the players are saying happened is consistent with what this person has seen.

With Cockett directly or just in instances over years? Huge difference.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
CastIronAggie

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 13th, 2020, 3:14 pm

There are some hearsay exemptions that may be at play here. Namely, the party admission exemption: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_admission

I’d think Frank would ask for damages like the deal offered to Blake.

I’m a lowly personal injury lawyer in the valley and am not an employment lawyer so take this with a grain of salt.
Last edited by BLUERUFiO on December 13th, 2020, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » December 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:05 pm

My mother in law works at the university, she also says there is a pretty large group of teachers and admin that are quite publicly outspoken about disliking the church. She didn’t say that she had any reason to believe that Cockett is part of that group, just simply that it exists. What she told me doesn’t change how I feel, if the allegations are true, good for the players, If they are false it’s very disappointing the amount of damage that has been caused. All I can say is wait and see what facts are able to come to light.
These users thanked the author Aggieforlife for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleTransplantedSpud

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 13th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Board Lawyers...

So, let's say that the hearsay of hearsay is correct (or at least can be somewhat substantiated.) Cockett said that she was concerned about him being from Utah and being Polynesian.

Anderson just signed a $5M contract. Are those the damages that Maile is looking for, a $5M settlement? More/less?

I don’t do this type of work (I do defense side med mal and personal injury), so won’t speculate about valuation. My guess? the settlement would be for an amount within whatever the policy limits are and would come very quickly (perhaps in response to a demand letter and before a lawsuit is even filed). Any ambiguity about what happened weighs towards settlement. It seems unlikely to me the case would ever get to the point where players are being deposed.

The biggest reason is the effect of an ongoing discrimination lawsuit premised on alleged discrimination by the University president would be astronomically bad for the University and football program. It would death by a thousand cuts over an extended period of time. A good ID lawyer that understood the University not the carrier is his/her client would encourage settlement within policy limits unless it is 100% certain Cockett is clean.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on December 13th, 2020, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
oleblu111BLUERUFiO

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 13th, 2020, 3:21 pm

For me it comes down to this: I’m supposed to believe that the most inclusive, student-oriented President in my lifetime (maybe all time) got on a Zoom call with a bunch of students, some of which are likely to be Mormons and/or Polynesians, and told them that they coach they love and have called this meeting to lobby for wasn’t going to be hired because he’s Mormon and Polynesian.

I’m sorry but just doesn’t pass the smell test in any way, especially considering everything I know and have heard about Noelle Cockett. It just doesn’t.
Last edited by bluegrouse on December 13th, 2020, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 7):
GaAggieBustaMcNuttGreenAgaggiesdotcomvegasaggieaggieguy13JSHarvey

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 13th, 2020, 3:22 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Board Lawyers...

I don’t do this type of work (I do defense side med mal and personal injury), so won’t speculate about valuation. My guess? the settlement would be for an amount within whatever the policy limits are and would come very quickly (perhaps in response to a demand letter and before a lawsuit is even filed). Any ambiguity about what happened weighs towards settlement. It seems unlikely to me the case would ever get to the point where players are being deposed.

The biggest reason is the effect of an ongoing discrimination lawsuit premised on alleged discrimination by the University president would be astronomically bad for the University and football program.
Yeah, Frank certainly has some powerful leverage. I wonder what kind of policy limits the school has for this kind of thing?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Locked Previous topicNext topic