Good morning Coach Anderson! Welcome to USU!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

Good morning Coach Anderson! Welcome to USU!

Post by OKAggie » December 12th, 2020, 7:42 am

Yesterday he wakes up, looking forward to a fresh start to his career, knowing he'll have some challenges but having a pretty good idea of what he has to work with.

Today he wakes up, wondering which if any of his current roster will stick around for next year, what kind of recruit is going to sign with a program in such disarray, whether his new bosses are really religious and racial bigots or instead whether his team is a bunch of reactionary malcontents, whether the assistant coach candidates he's been rounding up are willing to stake their careers on what's now a reclamation project.

I wish Blake Anderson the very, very best.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
AngusAgsockpuppet

Nobody here knows anything.

seabass

Re: Good morning Coach Anderson! Welcome to USU!

Post by seabass » December 12th, 2020, 7:49 am

Welcome Coach. We’re looking forward to turning this page and starting a new chapter in Utah State Aggie football. Excited for the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 12th, 2020, 7:56 am

This too shall pass. This is obviously a bad deal but not as disastrous as media are making it out to be. We will lose some talent but much of that was going to happen anyway. We will see how good Anderson is recruiting those who are already here.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 12th, 2020, 8:06 am

gomretat wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 7:56 am
This too shall pass. This is obviously a bad deal but not as disastrous as media are making it out to be. We will lose some talent but much of that was going to happen anyway. We will see how good Anderson is recruiting those who are already here.
I think this damages the university more that the football team. The football program will be fine, though it will take a rebuild.

The university has a huge PR problem. Parents are going to have a hard time sending their kids to a school that has a perception of being anti LDS. The biggest issue is even if it comes out that nothing was said at all, the damage has been done.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » December 12th, 2020, 8:07 am

Do we know for sure he is still our coach?????

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 12th, 2020, 8:11 am

GordoAggie wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:07 am
There has been no official announcement. Canyou imagine the upheaval if he leaves and we have to find another coach, the pressure that will be feom the media to hire Maile. I think this is unlikely but this year has been a disaster so who knows.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 12th, 2020, 8:12 am

GordoAggie wrote:
Yes
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
GordoAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 12th, 2020, 8:13 am

GordoAggie wrote:
He hasn't been announced. But he's already left his previous job, and he has about 5.3 million reasons to make this one work.

Nobody here knows anything.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » December 12th, 2020, 8:42 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:06 am
gomretat wrote:
I think this damages the university more that the football team. The football program will be fine, though it will take a rebuild.

The university has a huge PR problem. Parents are going to have a hard time sending their kids to a school that has a perception of being anti LDS. The biggest issue is even if it comes out that nothing was said at all, the damage has been done.
I might have shared this story before on here. As a student, I became acquainted with President Kermit Hall. In leading USU as a whole, I thought he did an incredible job and was sad to see him leave after only a few years. I was talking with him one day on the main steps of Old Main and he asked me whether I thought USU was hostile to LDS students. In my view, I told him, it was not but my view was also shaped from being raised in Southern California. At the same time, I said, a kid coming from someplace like Bicknell, Utah, might find it more hostile. In the 20 years or so since this happened I doubt the USU culture has changed that much to be more antagonistic to the church than the Ewets.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » December 12th, 2020, 8:54 am

Larrytheaggie, you said that the school will have a perception that we are anti-LDS? Hell, we have had that perception for years! Some periods more than others. When I was at Sky View in the late 60’s, early 70’s we really had a perception of being Anti-LDS. We had several professors that put up a stink that kids in Utah were getting credit for going to LDS seminary while at high school. A professor by the name of Lauritsen took it to the courts and won. That is why kids don’t get credit now for seminary. Well, I remember several Cache Valley LDS neighbors and throughout the valley saying they would not support USU in any form. I got married and my wife has 7 brothers. When I told them I was going to USU their eyes got big and they said are sure you want to go to that anti school? I said I am proud to be an Aggie. However, you should empathize my pain when dealing with my brother-in-laws, because they are all BYU homers. So, in reality USU has always had a perception of being an anti-LDS. More so in the 60’s and 70’s than the last few decades. When the LDS church said USU was the largest enrollment of students going to LDS institute, the image since that came out in the late 80’s early 90’s, the anti label. Pretty well went away! so, does USU have an anti label? Yes, some periods of years more than others. My parents were always ever after pissed off at the professor that got the courts to get rid of credit for seminary at High school. The perception was more about USU professors being anti, more than just the school.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 12th, 2020, 9:02 am

As a graduate in 2000 and a non-member, the notion that USU is anti LDS may well be the funniest thing I’ve heard all year. The fragility of some people is pretty incredible.

Coach Anderson, welcome! USU is a great school, Logan is a great community and we are all confident that you will do great things!
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
ParadiseAggiePNW_AggieSlim80bluegrouse

seabass

Post by seabass » December 12th, 2020, 9:03 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
gomretat wrote:

The U already has this perception and they’re doing just fine. This does not change a thing as far as any perception that USU is anti the predominant religion in the state. I would rather have my kids experience what the real world is like than be in the bubble at one of the church owned schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 12th, 2020, 9:04 am

troutputz wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:54 am
Larrytheaggie, you said that the school will have a perception that we are anti-LDS? Hell, we have had that perception for years! Some periods more than others. When I was at Sky View in the late 60’s, early 70’s we really had a perception of being Anti-LDS. We had several professors that put up a stink that kids in Utah were getting credit for going to LDS seminary while at high school. A professor by the name of Lauritsen took it to the courts and won. That is why kids don’t get credit now for seminary. Well, I remember several Cache Valley LDS neighbors and throughout the valley saying they would not support USU in any form. I got married and my wife has 7 brothers. When I told them I was going to USU their eyes got big and they said are sure you want to go to that anti school? I said I am proud to be an Aggie. However, you should empathize my pain when dealing with my brother-in-laws, because they are all BYU homers. So, in reality USU has always had a perception of being an anti-LDS. More so in the 60’s and 70’s than the last few decades. When the LDS church said USU was the largest enrollment of students going to LDS institute, the image since that came out in the late 80’s early 90’s, the anti label. Pretty well went away! so, does USU have an anti label? Yes, some periods of years more than others. My parents were always ever after pissed off at the professor that got the courts to get rid of credit for seminary at High school. The perception was more about USU professors being anti, more than just the school.
This is not unique to USU. University of Utah has a majority of professors who are hostile toward the church. Heck, even some professors at BYU seem to be as well. I think it is the nature of educators at the college and university level to lean in an agnostic direction and somewhat hostile to religion in general.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » December 12th, 2020, 9:09 am

I've always ascribed to the philosophy that you find what you look for. I had a marvelous experience at USU. Because of my religion? In spite of my religion? Who knows. There's all kinds of people in the world and at the university. Look for a boogie man, you'll find one. Look for an advocate, you'll find one. Look for a racist, you'll find one. Look for a compassionate friend, you'll find one. Our choices drive a lot of our experience.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkPNW_AggieSlim80

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 12th, 2020, 9:17 am

stwinward wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:09 am
I've always ascribed to the philosophy that you find what you look for. I had a marvelous experience at USU. Because of my religion? In spite of my religion? Who knows. There's all kinds of people in the world and at the university. Look for a boogie man, you'll find one. Look for an advocate, you'll find one. Look for a racist, you'll find one. Look for a compassionate friend, you'll find one. Our choices drive a lot of our experience.
I don’t have to look for a boogie man. I automatically see a bunch of them every time we play the Zoobs.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » December 12th, 2020, 9:23 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:17 am
stwinward wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:09 am
I don’t have to look for a boogie man. I automatically see a bunch of them every time we play the Zoobs.
:lol:

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » December 12th, 2020, 9:27 am

This short-term “issue” he’ll no doubt overcome, pales in comparison to losing a spouse. We know you’re up to the challenge. We’re behind you all the way Coach!! Have fun and look forward to seeing the product on the field.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 12th, 2020, 9:28 am

How did this become a thread about the LDS Church?

The idea that USU is “anti-Mormon” is laughable. I would guess that USU has the largest percentage of LDS students of any public university in the world.

Coach Anderson will be just fine. If anything, all the goings on lower expectations even further and make it easier for him to shine.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkPNW_Aggie3rdGenAggie

bpd

Post by bpd » December 12th, 2020, 9:38 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:02 am
As a graduate in 2000 and a non-member, the notion that USU is anti LDS may well be the funniest thing I’ve heard all year. The fragility of some people is pretty incredible.

Coach Anderson, welcome! USU is a great school, Logan is a great community and we are all confident that you will do great things!
This is on point. As a non-member I was treated as an outsider and is the main reason once I graduated I left Utah.

Anderson will pull the team together, this is the main reason why he was hired. He will be fine.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
Sl7vk

agster
Has thanked: 0

Post by agster » December 12th, 2020, 10:14 am

Most universities are anti-religion. Most college professors and administrators are liberal. Most liberals are anti-religion. No surprise here.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 12th, 2020, 10:20 am

Excited to start a new chapter! Let's go!

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 12th, 2020, 10:22 am

agster wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 10:14 am
Most universities are anti-religion. Most college professors and administrators are liberal. Most liberals are anti-religion. No surprise here.
An awfully big brush you're painting with, there. Want to come do my house? Two or three strokes, and you'll be done.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post (total 2):
GaAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggies All the Way!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 12th, 2020, 10:51 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:28 am

The idea that USU is “anti-Mormon” is laughable. I would guess that USU has the largest percentage of LDS students of any public university in the world.

Coach Anderson will be just fine. If anything, all the goings on lower expectations even further and make it easier for him to shine.
:noidea: I guess you didn't spend much time in the humanities

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 12th, 2020, 10:57 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 10:22 am
agster wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 10:14 am
An awfully big brush you're painting with, there. Want to come do my house? Two or three strokes, and you'll be done.
Yep, pure idiocy.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 12th, 2020, 11:02 am

bwcrc wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:42 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:06 am
gomretat wrote:

I might have shared this story before on here. As a student, I became acquainted with President Kermit Hall. In leading USU as a whole, I thought he did an incredible job and was sad to see him leave after only a few years. I was talking with him one day on the main steps of Old Main and he asked me whether I thought USU was hostile to LDS students. In my view, I told him, it was not but my view was also shaped from being raised in Southern California. At the same time, I said, a kid coming from someplace like Bicknell, Utah, might find it more hostile. In the 20 years or so since this happened I doubt the USU culture has changed that much to be more antagonistic to the church than the Ewets.
Being lds i had a great experience at USU. I didnt feel overly hostility towards my faith. Quite frankly i dont care what people think of my faith.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 12th, 2020, 11:37 am

Has anyone with inside information heard when they are going to have an official press conference announcing BA as the head coach? I need something positive like hearing him get up and talk about what his plans are to make this team successful. I just want to move past this horrible couple of days and get going on with the next chapter.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 12th, 2020, 11:43 am

USU78 wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 10:51 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

I actually did. PoliSci grad. Never saw or experienced anything I would deem anti-Mormon.

If anything, my experience at USU was suffocatingly Mormon even for a kid raised in SE Idaho. And I was a Mormon while attending USU (still am on the books, I suppose).
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseGaAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 11:43 am
USU78 wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 10:51 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

I actually did. PoliSci grad. Never saw or experienced anything I would deem anti-Mormon.

If anything, my experience at USU was suffocatingly Mormon even for a kid raised in SE Idaho. And I was a Mormon while attending USU (still am on the books, I suppose).
Agreed. I took a lot of classes in the humanities. I had semesters where I pretty much didn't leave Old Main. Never heard a professor attack the lds church. There were a few jokes occasionally said by professors about Utah culture, but nothing beyond that. USU has a very strong Mormon presence and despite what some on here want to hear, many people go to USU for the same reason they go to byu; to find a mormon spouse. I had two roomates from the state of Washington and they went to USU to find mormon wives. If USU is anti-mormon in any way, it certainly wasn't what I saw.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on December 12th, 2020, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 12th, 2020, 11:50 am

I'm LDS, had roommates that were never LDS and others that were lapsed LDS. I always felt that USU, while being predominantly religious gave people the opportunity to be whoever they were.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 12th, 2020, 11:54 am

And I’ll provide the caveat that the “suffocatingly Mormon” aspect of my USU experience probably stems from the fact I was unmarried at USU for a whopping semester after returning from an LDS mission.

Overall, I just mormed out with other married morms at USU.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 12th, 2020, 11:58 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 11:54 am
And I’ll provide the caveat that the “suffocatingly Mormon” aspect of my USU experience probably stems from the fact I was unmarried at USU for a whopping semester after returning from an LDS mission.

Overall, I just mormed out with other married morms at USU.
Sounds like you should have gone to byui with the that kind of track record 😁

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 12th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Sounds like you should have gone to byui with the that kind of track record 😁
I actually DID go to BYU-I pre-mish. :anonymous:

Locked Previous topicNext topic