Blake Anderson??

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MWCFAN12

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 10th, 2020, 2:46 pm

watching the Arkansa St vs Texas st game .
Random thoughts

Lot of different sets.

A lot a 11 personal between the 20's
They use the TE to block and in the flats as a outlet not to force the saftey to play a seam.. Very few deep routes with the TE

Use tempo from time to time. Mostly after a 1st down.

Use a 1-2 personal set inside the red zone. Prefers to ground and pound inside the 10

Likes to use the wheel route with RB/LB matchup out of a 12 man personal

shotgun ... haven't seen a single play under center

Run game in RPO for the most part.

goaline 22 personal package.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 3):
USU78Aggie19aggies22

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » December 10th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Just curious...when was the last time we lured a current Football head coach of a D1 school? I thought it was John L. but Idaho wasn't D1 at the time. Any idea?
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm

“The Red Wolves have won at least seven games every season under Anderson's coaching, including a 9-victory campaign in 2015 and eight-win years in 2016, 2018 and 2019. “

Weren’t we just saying a few days ago that 7 wins every season would be good to great at USU? I’m pumped.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
JSHarvey

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm
“The Red Wolves have won at least seven games every season under Anderson's coaching, including a 9-victory campaign in 2015 and eight-win years in 2016, 2018 and 2019. “

Weren’t we just saying a few days ago that 7 wins every season would be good to great at USU? I’m pumped.
If he has six straight winning seasons at USU, he'll be a Godsend. He is coming into a tougher situation obviously than when he took over in Jonesboro. We'll see if the man can build it up.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2020, 2:53 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Just curious...when was the last time we lured a current Football head coach of a D1 school? I thought it was John L. but Idaho wasn't D1 at the time. Any idea?
Probably never. Phil Krueger coached at Fresno State, but had a big gap before coming to USU.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:05 pm
How does this hire impact the potential QB transfer you mentioned @aggies22? Still contingent on the OC?
The kid is looking hard into Anderson and trying to determine if it will be a fit. He also has a pair of WRs and a RB that would all like to play together.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
AggiePTratofallaggiesJSHarveynewtonianblueAggie193rdGenAggieutahcountyaggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:53 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:
Probably never. Phil Krueger coached at Fresno State, but had a big gap before coming to USU.
Well ... he was on staff at USC and Illinois between those two gigs, and Fresno was college (not university) level at that time. It's not like he was out of coaching altogether, and he was part of a natty champ staff in LA.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2020, 3:06 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:53 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:
Well ... he was on staff at USC and Illinois between those two gigs, and Fresno was college (not university) level at that time. It's not like he was out of coaching altogether, and he was part of a natty champ staff in LA.
I assumed he meant a D1a Head Coach. If he just meant someone on staff at a D1a school, then Brent Guy would qualify since he as the D Coordinator at ASU before coming here and Gary Andersen would qualify as DC at Utah.

Good catch on Fresno though. They didn't become D1a until 1969 and Krueger coached there earlier.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:

If we have a consistent 6-7 win team I am absolutely satisfied. Guys seems like a solid hire. He has his work cut out for him, but for sure a solid get.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
Look and see how many of the top 20 players in Utah we actually land.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
splintorb

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 10th, 2020, 3:14 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:43 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:18 pm
hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:04 pm
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Wow. USU has two huge advantages that separate it from most universities in our circumstance. The disparate number of D1 prospects in Utah due to the polynesian populations and the ability to recruit lineman on both sides of the ball and give them an extra 2-3 years of age. Even if we are 3rd in the pecking order this advantage is the only thing that allows us to have FBS worthy fronts. Why do you think Utah and BYU have had the success they've had too.

If you fail on the Utah front with the poly pipeline and getting the missionary front you don't have a chance in hell of building a real program up front. And I don't care how many skill players you get out of Texas, Florida, and California you don't win long term without having a developmental program usiing the Utah advantages to be solid where it counts.

I think that was pretty much universally understood.
Do you believe we get even third pick of recruits out of our state?
No, the top recruits are going PAC10 and BIG12. We have to go after the JC stuff, and the guys that need to be developed. But we can't win consistently without it. The poly pipeline was absolutely essential to the turnaround of the program along with identifying kids we can develop. Its not even debatable. It would be insane to even consider abandoning our advantages that allow us to compete. And there is no reason to even contemplate allowing that to happen. Utah is a critical part of the recruiting strategy that we have available that other programs in similar circumstances don't. Its allowed us to be successful in the mountain west with the smallest stadium and one the smallest budgets.
Agree completely. You build a sold program on the OLine and DLine. The key to success for USU doing that is with recruits from the State of Utah

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 3:17 pm

hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Wow. USU has two huge advantages that separate it from most universities in our circumstance. The disparate number of D1 prospects in Utah due to the polynesian populations and the ability to recruit lineman on both sides of the ball and give them an extra 2-3 years of age. Even if we are 3rd in the pecking order this advantage is the only thing that allows us to have FBS worthy fronts. Why do you think Utah and BYU have had the success they've had too.

If you fail on the Utah front with the poly pipeline and getting the missionary front you don't have a chance in hell of building a real program up front. And I don't care how many skill players you get out of Texas, Florida, and California you don't win long term without having a developmental program usiing the Utah advantages to be solid where it counts.

The "utah" pipeline isn't as alive and well as you thought. We currently have 7 scholarship and 3 walk-on Polynesians from utah on our roster. Less than a 10th of our roster.
splintorb

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 10th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:

If we have a consistent 6-7 win team I am absolutely satisfied. Guys seems like a solid hire. He has his work cut out for him, but for sure a solid get.
You guys have lower expectations than me I guess, unless you mean 6-7 wins is the floor for our program. We have only finished with less than 6 wins once since joining the MWC (twice counting this shortened odd season) while having seasons of 9, 10, and 11 wins during the same period.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
mcaggie12004AGOrangeCountyAggieAggieFBObsession

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 10th, 2020, 3:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:17 pm
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

The "utah" pipeline isn't as alive and well as you thought. We currently have 7 scholarship and 3 walk-on Polynesians from utah on our roster. Less than a 10th of our roster.
Super confused on why this Utah pipeline is so crazy for some...

MTAG

Post by MTAG » December 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Anderson's name was thrown around a couple of times, but honestly how many people (outside of those in the know) actually thought this guy would be the next head coach of our beloved aggies?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Yes, I've noticed that. I've also seen our D line go to hell.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 3:22 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:43 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:18 pm
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Do you believe we get even third pick of recruits out of our state?
No, the top recruits are going PAC10 and BIG12. We have to go after the JC stuff, and the guys that need to be developed. But we can't win consistently without it. The poly pipeline was absolutely essential to the turnaround of the program along with identifying kids we can develop. Its not even debatable. It would be insane to even consider abandoning our advantages that allow us to compete. And there is no reason to even contemplate allowing that to happen. Utah is a critical part of the recruiting strategy that we have available that other programs in similar circumstances don't. Its allowed us to be successful in the mountain west with the smallest stadium and one the smallest budgets.
We can't afford to give scholarships to fringe scholarship worthy guys. Let them go to Snow and develop. We didn't do a great job of being a "developmental" program the last two years.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 3:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

WHy do you think this is?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:24 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm
aggies22 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Yes, I've noticed that. I've also seen our D line go to hell.
One of the biggest reasons our Defense has struggled.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm

MTAG wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm
Anderson's name was thrown around a couple of times, but honestly how many people (outside of those in the know) actually thought this guy would be the next head coach of our beloved aggies?
Probably no one who wasn't in the know. How many names have been floated around and he was barely mentioned and didn't have any cheerleaders the way other candidates did. Good hire though. Impressed we got a proven winner from a FBS school.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

You guys have lower expectations than me I guess, unless you mean 6-7 wins is the floor for our program. We have only finished with less than 6 wins once since joining the MWC (twice counting this shortened odd season) while having seasons of 9, 10, and 11 wins during the same period.
Yeah, 7 win baseline with some 8+ win seasons thrown in.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 10th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Stucki wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:26 pm
stang wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Stucki wrote:I'm assuming those of you not excited about this hire don't watch a lot of college football outside of our Ags. When I saw the tweet that it was him, my first thought was that this is better than anyone that had been speculated about on the board. I've been in the Jay Hill camp since Wells resigned, but I think this is a better hire than Hill.
Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn’t mean they know less about football than you. There were some really excellent coaches out there as potential candidates. I think Anderson is a good hire, but I understand if people are let down because USU didn’t get some of the other guys in the running.
I didn't meant to imply that they didn't know football, just weren't paying attention. I agree there were great names in the discussion. I'm saying I think this will end up better than any of them.
That might be true, but nobody knows at this point. So you don't need to imply we aren't paying attention either.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 10th, 2020, 3:29 pm

How many Utah High School kids play in the FBS division that don't go to a P-5 school out of state, Utah, or BYU? The Utes have a decided advantage in the state being in the PAC12. BYU will inherently get a lot of top LDS talent in the state with their connection to the LDS church. What is left? Weber and SUU get a bunch - but are they MWC-level players? I don't know that there is a lot of FBS talent remaining after the top two take theirs. How many play out of state for other G-5 teams?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
splintorb

Eutaw St. Aggie

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » December 10th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Well over a quarter of our scholarship players are from Utah. We also have quite a few polynesians on the team. 22's numbers above are guys that are both polynesian AND from Utah. I hope Anderson keeps recruiting Utah. I hope even more that we have winning seasons.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

i may be wrong, but I don't think he meant necessarily just Polynesians FROM Utah...just Polynesians AND kids from Utah. By my count, we have 45 kids that are either Polynesian AND/OR from Utah. That's almost HALF of our current roster. Now, does our roster need an upgrade? Yes, yes it does. But I tend to agree with hickaggie here that we'd be foolish to take the axe to two of the three legs of the stool that has supported us lo these many years... **Edit, it looks like Busta and I are on a similar wavelength...he beat me to it.
Last edited by ShowMeAggie on December 10th, 2020, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:35 pm

I will admit, I only watch the Aggies. I don't know a lot about Ark St. nor Blake Anderson.

arkstfan

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
These users thanked the author arkstfan for the post (total 13):
AggiePTAggie formerly in HawaiiBLUERUFiOAgliciousbrossp24Sl7vkUSU78aggies22bluegrouseAggieFBObsession and 3 more users

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:43 pm

arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
Something we need very badly. Thanks for your insights!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 10th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:29 pm
How many Utah High School kids play in the FBS division that don't go to a P-5 school out of state, Utah, or BYU? The Utes have a decided advantage in the state being in the PAC12. BYU will inherently get a lot of top LDS talent in the state with their connection to the LDS church. What is left? Weber and SUU get a bunch - but are they MWC-level players? I don't know that there is a lot of FBS talent remaining after the top two take theirs. How many play out of state for other G-5 teams?
There are always development projects in Utah that the two creepy schools pass on that we make in to good football players ...
....such as
BJ Larsen, the Vigil boys, Kevin Curtis, Chris Cooley and many more. Also there are more and more new High Schools with these kinds of players who just make it better for us. I think the future is bright for Utah recruiting. But we need to start beating the Y again which makes recruiting a little easier. Also have really good recruiters.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Don’t forget about the Vigils!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
What do you mean? How many top 20 Utah players does anybody in the MWC land?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 10th, 2020, 3:50 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
maybe I am wrong but I would guess that the top 20 in utah .. about half would stay with someone in state and the other half are going to big time P5 schools..

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » December 10th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Is it really too much to ask for both???

Can't a coaching staff heavily recruit in state players AND use connections to recruit hard in other states/regions?
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post (total 3):
aggies223rdGenAggiebluegrouse

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm

AggiePT wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Is it really too much to ask for both???

Can't a coaching staff heavily recruit in state players AND use connections to recruit hard in other states/regions?
THis is exactly how it should be. I have confidence Blake will do both.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggieFBObsession

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Exactly.
AggiePT

Locked Previous topicNext topic