Blake Anderson??

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:23 am
Aglicious wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:14 am
Aren't he and Wells good friends? I seem to remember them both talking about how long they had known each other and that they stay in touch.
Wells worked with him on Adam Kennedy's transfer in 2014. Found Adam a nice landing spot where he could compete for the starting job. I'm sure Matt had good things to say about Blake when talking to John Hartwell.

Back to Adam Kennedy and 2014. We would go on to have four different starting QBs that year and if Adam had stayed in Logan he would have been our starting QB.
Adam Kennedy played a major role in our turnaround and doesn’t get the credit he deserves.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
BustaMcNutt3rdGenAggieAggieBluesaggies22

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:13 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
I could see Blake killing it in an interview. He has always seemed like a guy that has it together and has a vision of what he wants to accomplish. He also seems like a really stand up guy that players would love to play for.

Aren't he and Wells good friends? I seem to remember them both talking about how long they had known each other and that they stay in touch.

Oooh, then maybe Wells will be our OC
Not as far fetched as you may think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh hell. I'd rather have Wells as the HC than the OC any day.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

arkstfan

Re: Arkansas State @ Utah State in 2006

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:10 pm
dogie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:53 am
Does anyone else remember the ASU-USU game in Logan on 2016? The Aggies took a 24-0 lead less than one minute into the second quarter. The Aggies didn’t look good at all and held on to win 34-20.

The main thing I remember from that game was thinking that ASU looked as bad as any FBS team I have seen in Logan.

If they weren’t the worst team, they were certainly the most undisciplined (except for maybe a couple of Brent Guy teams). ASU was penalized 18 times for 129 yards, and there were a lot of crazy penalties showing that the players weren’t focused on wining the game. The worst was that it was clear that the ASU coach was practically encouraging it.

That’s all I know about ASU and their coach.
I do remember that game from 2016, it is interesting to look at that season for Arky St. They lost their first four games (including USU and an FCS school) then finished the season 8-1 and won the Sun Belt. I wonder what the story was behind that turnaround. I also wonder what happened this season, they started out 3-2 beating Kansas State on the road and then just fell apart.
We changed QBs when we go behind by 24 at Logan. Kid who came in then started rest of 2016, 17, and 18
These users thanked the author arkstfan for the post (total 3):
AggieiesterAggieArmyAggieFBObsession

LarryTheAggie

Re: Arkansas State @ Utah State in 2006

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:21 pm

arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:10 pm
dogie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:53 am
Does anyone else remember the ASU-USU game in Logan on 2016? The Aggies took a 24-0 lead less than one minute into the second quarter. The Aggies didn’t look good at all and held on to win 34-20.

The main thing I remember from that game was thinking that ASU looked as bad as any FBS team I have seen in Logan.

If they weren’t the worst team, they were certainly the most undisciplined (except for maybe a couple of Brent Guy teams). ASU was penalized 18 times for 129 yards, and there were a lot of crazy penalties showing that the players weren’t focused on wining the game. The worst was that it was clear that the ASU coach was practically encouraging it.

That’s all I know about ASU and their coach.
I do remember that game from 2016, it is interesting to look at that season for Arky St. They lost their first four games (including USU and an FCS school) then finished the season 8-1 and won the Sun Belt. I wonder what the story was behind that turnaround. I also wonder what happened this season, they started out 3-2 beating Kansas State on the road and then just fell apart.
We changed QBs when we go behind by 24 at Logan. Kid who came in then started rest of 2016, 17, and 18
Anderson changed QBs? I am sold! That is all I need to know. Better than Wells(Myers) and Andersen(shelley).
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
USU783rdGenAggie

arkstfan

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 12:25 pm

These users thanked the author arkstfan for the post (total 6):
USU78HomeTownShowMeAggieChodAggieFBObsessionWasatchAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:45 am
taniataylor wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:43 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:41 am
taniataylor wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:11 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:47 am
Anderson's excitement for the job seems to have worn off a bit at Arkansas State. If we get that guy this could be a bit of a dud. However, if we get a renewed reenergized Blake Anderson with some solid coordinators- this could be a home run hire.

He is still only 51 years old.
How’s the hair?
What do you think?

:nono:
Oops, wrong Blake Anderson. The football coach appears a bit more reserved.

Wow. Ron Weasely sure has aged.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Floppy Hat wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:23 am
Aglicious wrote:
Wells worked with him on Adam Kennedy's transfer in 2014. Found Adam a nice landing spot where he could compete for the starting job. I'm sure Matt had good things to say about Blake when talking to John Hartwell.

Back to Adam Kennedy and 2014. We would go on to have four different starting QBs that year and if Adam had stayed in Logan he would have been our starting QB.
Was that the year we had 5 different players throw a touchdown pass (I think we had a WR throw a pass on a play that game - Pennyman?). That has to be some kind of record, doesn't it?
Just checked - It was Ronald Butler, and he threw 2 TD passes as a WR. At least 2 TD passes by Keeton, Garretson, Harrison, Myers, and Butler that year.

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 10th, 2020, 12:33 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:42 am
Madmartigan wrote:Is this a better hire than Jay Hill?
No. Not even close

I love ya! Quite honestly, I'm not going to be that guy that tells you your opinion is wrong. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out though. I'm know we both are hoping for USU to be successful and I think this hire will grow on you. We shall see....
Yeah, that’s the thing. Nobody really knows how this or any hire will pan out. Hartwell doesn’t even know.

I really think Jay was the man for the job. It felt like a no brainer but for whatever reason Hartwell didn’t want anything to do with him.

Honestly I don’t hate this hire. It’s ok. Not a home run but not a strikeout either. Certainly better than Leipold.

I’m in wait-and-see mode. I hope for the best.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm

I was hoping for Jay Hill but Anderson is a good option and less risk thank Sean Lewis, Skip Holtz, and maybe even Lance Leipold. Anderson has consistently put out good offenses. Top 20 offenses in 3 of his first 4 years at ASU. Seems to run a balanced pass/run offense in terms of attempts but definitely gains most yards through the air. His defenses are about average most years. Seems like this is what Hartwell wanted, a stronger offense being more important than a strong defense. He feels exciting style of play helps put butts in seats, which has some truth.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
BLUERUFiO

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I remember that 2016 game pretty well. That ASU team was not the kind of team I want at USU. If that is what he brings to the table then I will be bearish on this hire. I'm currently a wait-and-see. He isn't exciting, but there are some positives. I hope it works out.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 10th, 2020, 12:36 pm

I think I'll be most interested in who he bring in as coordinators. And I'm also eager to hear from @aggies22 on how he thinks will affect the transfer he was talking about. Really interested in hearing about what this does for our chances with any transfer actually.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:19 am
If he's the hire, I'll get on board, I admittedly don't know much about him. It's unfortunate about his wife, tough stuff. it's tough to judge because of covid, but the year after his wife passed he's won half as many games as he normally has. I think the change could be good to reignite the fire, but it could be that he lost the fire. It's understandable if he has, I just hope we're not just an attempt to hold on to something that he doesn't really have the heart for anymore, like GA was doing (IMO).
That is how i feel as well. Seems like a real good guy and his record at ASU has been really solid. My biggest concern is has he lost the drive to coach since losing his wife to cancer. To be successful as division 1 football coach you have to be all in, I hope he has not lost the desire/will to coach. I have no reason to believe he hasn't, just some reservations of mine. He certainly is qualified for the job and this will not be hire first head coaching job so that will not be a surprise to him.

What are thoughts on who his coaches will be? Will he just bring most of his current coaches with him?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm
I was hoping for Jay Hill but Anderson is a good option and less risk thank Sean Lewis, Skip Holtz, and maybe even Lance Leipold. Anderson has consistently put out good offenses. Top 20 offenses in 3 of his first 4 years at ASU. Seems to run a balanced pass/run offense in terms of attempts but definitely gains most yards through the air. His defenses are about average most years. Seems like this is what Hartwell wanted, a stronger offense being more important than a strong defense. He feels exciting style of play helps put butts in seats, which has some truth.
The defenses he has had, particularly the points allowed and rushing yardage has not been good. I hope he understands the tradition of defense here and gets the right coordinator and recruiters to make the D-line and secondary. The Aggies have been good when the D has been good. I don't like the focus on offense. But the guy is a solid coach.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I may be in the minority but I kinda want Frank to go elsewhere and get more experience. I would love for him to be an HC here in the future but I don't think its best for him or us for him to sit as AHC forever. All of this assuming he isn't chosen as our HC.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyLarryTheAggieBLUERUFiO

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Fresh start, get rid of all the current coaches please
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
dirtnsnowViAggie

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 10th, 2020, 12:52 pm

These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Frank is not sticking around, he made this abundantly clear to Heartwell.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Fresh start, get rid of all the current coaches please
Lets do this^^^^

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:52 pm
It seemed a pretty foregone conclusion at this point, but that's probably the strongest sign yet.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:56 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I would say move Bojay to running backs. He is partially to blame for the poor tackling technique and not covering the Air Force pitch man, and San Jose State had just as bad of technique tackling when he was there. BUT, for the sake of his recruiting of polys, let him coach running backs which is the easiest position to coach.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » December 10th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Ok, here are my general thoughts on this hire.

This is a good hire, not a great hire. It was clear all along that Hartwell wanted an offensive minded coach, and for good reason. it just bothers me so much that he was dead set on getting an offensive minded coach that he didn't really give a sniff at guys that have good offenses, but great defenses like Choate and especially Hill who has been passed on twice now. I have a lot of respect for the FCS and the coaches at the FCS level as I currently live in Montana, and now love watching FCS football, and both of the MT schools have excellent head coaches in Bobby Hauck and Jeff Choate, both with completely different identities and styles. Then you look at some of the other big names that are now head coaches in the FCS like Ed McCaffrey at Northern Colorado, and even Deion Sanders at Jackson State. I just feel like there are so many good FCS head coaches out there, that just aren't getting much of a look because they coach in the FCS. Choate, Hill, and Troy Taylor at Sacramento State are all coaches that are very successful at their respective schools, and all have ties to the state of Utah and strong ties to the west coast, and I feel that a lot of Mountain West schools would rather take a chance on a guy from the east coast, when there are plenty of good and proven FCS coaches out west. Colorado State and Hawaii did the same thing last year, and it just bothers me that these guys don't get much of a look because of the level they coach at.

Now getting off my soap box, I'm glad we took someone who is currently a head coach. I think that was the safe and smart thing to do. I'm a little bit interested to see what he decides to do for a coaching staff and recruiting out in the west. I have a lot of questions that I'd like to have answered, but I think personally he's a great guy, he's won at a school that's very difficult to win at, and I feel he brings some much needed fire and passion that we are looking for. At this exact moment in time, on a scale of 1-10, I would rate this hire as a 6.5 for now. in the meantime, I'm excited to see his introductory press conference and how he recruits and builds his staff , and I look forward to watching him coach in his first season.
These users thanked the author MTAG for the post:
NavyBlue

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
LarryTheAggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 10th, 2020, 1:00 pm

arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Yes AState fans are ready. We went through Wendy getting sick the first time and apparently cured. Then the second time that ended with her death days before the season started.

He needs a reset and he had told a number of people worst part of his job is going home. Then he got Covid and the year has been utter chaos.

We need a reset as well.
when did he get Covid?

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2020, 1:03 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:00 pm
arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Yes AState fans are ready. We went through Wendy getting sick the first time and apparently cured. Then the second time that ended with her death days before the season started.

He needs a reset and he had told a number of people worst part of his job is going home. Then he got Covid and the year has been utter chaos.

We need a reset as well.
when did he get Covid?
Looks like he was over it by Sept 29th, so sometime before that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 574327001/

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 10th, 2020, 1:04 pm

splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Wow. USU has two huge advantages that separate it from most universities in our circumstance. The disparate number of D1 prospects in Utah due to the polynesian populations and the ability to recruit lineman on both sides of the ball and give them an extra 2-3 years of age. Even if we are 3rd in the pecking order this advantage is the only thing that allows us to have FBS worthy fronts. Why do you think Utah and BYU have had the success they've had too.

If you fail on the Utah front with the poly pipeline and getting the missionary front you don't have a chance in hell of building a real program up front. And I don't care how many skill players you get out of Texas, Florida, and California you don't win long term without having a developmental program usiing the Utah advantages to be solid where it counts.

I think that was pretty much universally understood.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 6):
USU78ViAggieAggie19gomretatAggieFBObsessionvegasaggie

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » December 10th, 2020, 1:06 pm

One of their QB’s, Logan Bonner, entered the transfer portal a few days ago. Looks like he was replaced, but had 18 TD’s/6INT this season. Probably worth keeping an eye on as a potential transfer with Anderson.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » December 10th, 2020, 1:15 pm

I wonder if we'll have a press conference scheduled for Monday.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Here's an interesting tidbit:
Anderson has been a candidate for other jobs in the past, interviewing for the Missouri vacancy in 2019 and the Baylor opening in 2016.
https://www.kait8.com/2020/12/10/report ... e-opening/

From the same source, a link:

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 10th, 2020, 1:18 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:04 pm
splintorb wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Wow. USU has two huge advantages that separate it from most universities in our circumstance. The disparate number of D1 prospects in Utah due to the polynesian populations and the ability to recruit lineman on both sides of the ball and give them an extra 2-3 years of age. Even if we are 3rd in the pecking order this advantage is the only thing that allows us to have FBS worthy fronts. Why do you think Utah and BYU have had the success they've had too.

If you fail on the Utah front with the poly pipeline and getting the missionary front you don't have a chance in hell of building a real program up front. And I don't care how many skill players you get out of Texas, Florida, and California you don't win long term without having a developmental program usiing the Utah advantages to be solid where it counts.

I think that was pretty much universally understood.
Do you believe we get even third pick of recruits out of our state?

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 1:19 pm

cdaAg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:15 pm
I wonder if we'll have a press conference scheduled for Monday.
Anybody heard about any unusual team meetings in Logan?

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » December 10th, 2020, 1:29 pm

This is a pretty telling quote of how much of a toll his wife’s death took on him. I expect to see a rejuvenated head coach. He needed a fresh start.
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post (total 2):
slcaggBLUERUFiO

arkstfan

Post by arkstfan » December 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Exactly it’s been really rough.
These users thanked the author arkstfan for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Locked Previous topicNext topic