The Apology Curse

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LarryTheAggie

The Apology Curse

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 7th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Somebody brought up the Apology in another thread. The BYU game use to be competitive until the Apology. What needs to happen to reverse the Apology Curse?

treesap32

Re: The Apology Curse

Post by treesap32 » December 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Cockett issues an official apology revocation letter?
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieChodjpswensenbluegrouse

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 7th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Byu-provo needs to issue an apology letter for everything them?

Go Aggies!

coolag

Post by coolag » December 7th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Recruit better players.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
oleblu111Aglicious

Regulator of Class

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » December 7th, 2020, 8:32 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Somebody brought up the Apology in another thread. The BYU game use to be competitive until the Apology. What needs to happen to reverse the Apology Curse?
How is a 3 point loss not competitive? Last year was only a 4 point loss. I’m as bummed as anyone but we played hard and competitive. I was impressed with the hustle of everyone and am bullish on the season if they keep up that kind of play while working on problem areas.
These users thanked the author MalAgua for the post:
bluegrouse

GUS

Post by GUS » December 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Byu is getting some good players out of Wasatch Academy now that Condie is no longer there.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 7th, 2020, 8:39 pm

GUS wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm
Byu is getting some good players out of Wasatch Academy now that Condie is no longer there.
There is a reason he was let go and it wasn’t because of team results.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 7th, 2020, 8:40 pm

MalAgua wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:32 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
How is a 3 point loss not competitive? Last year was only a 4 point loss. I’m as bummed as anyone but we played hard and competitive. I was impressed with the hustle of everyone and am bullish on the season if they keep up that kind of play while working on problem areas.
We have had some competitive games. But I am talking about how we have not won a game against byu since the apology. Usually the games are close, and on paper we should have won some of the games, we just always find a way to lose. I am starting to think its a curse.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 8th, 2020, 8:37 am

I also feel like the games follow the same script. We get down big, claw back, then have no more gas to close it out.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
USU78

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 8th, 2020, 9:21 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 8:37 am
I also feel like the games follow the same script. We get down big, claw back, then have no more gas to close it out.
Last year we had a guy that could create his own shot and was good at making 3 pointers. I think that's the difference this year.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 8th, 2020, 9:35 am

Madmartigan wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:21 am
NVAggie wrote:
Last year we had a guy that could create his own shot and was good at making 3 pointers. I think that's the difference this year.
Also, we can't even figure out who are fifth starter is... yet alone our bench. Four guys can't play 40 minutes. We've got a nice stretch of easier teams to play at home and hopefully we get it figured out.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 8th, 2020, 9:36 am

The Apology Curse is 100% real. We beat a good byu team. Instead of giving USU props, and in typical byu fashion, they complain that our crowd was too mean. So our president kowtows to them and apologizes? Are you kidding me? The Apology turned us into byu's b**** and will forever be a mark on Albrecht's otherwise fine legacy.

The only way to reverse the curse is for our sitting president to rescind the Apology.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggie918AGG

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 8th, 2020, 9:52 am

I wonder if Brandon Davies's child is old enough that we could offer them a scholarship... Maybe that would break the curse...

:noidea:
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
NVAggie

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » December 8th, 2020, 11:06 am

Man, I had forgotten about the "Apology" game. That is an old wound that still stings. I believe the students that were taunting him were over the line. But I also believe "Apologizing' for them was dumb dumb dumb.

Old story on it here for those who want to pour lemon juice on the open wound: https://usustatesman.com/administration ... or-taunts/

Full apology letter here: https://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/a ... 8_AUthKiUk

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 8th, 2020, 11:18 am

Here's a fun quote from the lemon juice article:

Scott Bakowski, a senior majoring in history at BYU, said the apology was necessary.

“It was a commendable act on behalf of USU,” Bakowski said, “It is something we’re always made fun of for — living religious principles. I think everybody has their own choice, and not everyone has given their apology in the past, but it’s obviously something that USU stands for.”

This is why I can't stand some BYU fans. This dude thinks BYU is owed a lot of apologies from a lot of different institutions? Seriously? But they are indeed living righteous principles, thus nobody else is.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Does anyone think any of the current players or coach's know anything about the apology ? What if ybu threatened to not play in Logan again, because some did go over the line. If that was the case did Stan make a error ?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 12:23 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Does anyone think any of the current players or coach's know anything about the apology ? What if ybu threatened to not play in Logan again, because some did go over the line. If that was the case did Stan make a error ?
It doesn't matter what they know. Curses live on regardless of the present people involved. Byu can't beat Utah in football after the curse of Max Hall even though many players on their current team were in elementary school when that happened.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 12:25 pm

MalAgua wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:32 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
That demonstrates the curse moreso. A 20 point loss just shows we got beat. A loss where it was tied down the stretch and we missed free throws and layups and got bad calls shows the curse of the apology lives on. I don't know what we can do to break the curse, but it is very real. The apology doomed us against byu for at least a decade sadly.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 8th, 2020, 1:39 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
You serious? This is the the very crux of the curse - byu forcing USU (through Stan) to grovel at their feet under threat of never again having the blessing of play them.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 1:42 pm

It sucks. From 2001 to 2011 we absolutely dominated byu in the spectrum. Since the apology. . . :puke:

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2020, 2:01 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:39 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
You serious? This is the the very crux of the curse - byu forcing USU (through Stan) to grovel at their feet under threat of never again having the blessing of play them.
Are you serious, do you believe that because of the apology USU have not beaten YBU in a 9 tries ? Not playing YBU in football and basketball would be a huge loss for USU, sadly it is the most important game on the schedule for USU.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 8th, 2020, 2:12 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:01 pm
AgMac wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Are you serious, do you believe that because of the apology USU have not beaten YBU in a 9 tries ? Not playing YBU in football and basketball would be a huge loss for USU, sadly it is the most important game on the schedule for USU.
This mentality is why we're their b**** and have to apologize to them for being mean.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » December 8th, 2020, 2:15 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
How are they the most important game?? Image I wish we would never schedule them again. Our conference games are way more important. I think you think way to highly of them to think they are the more important to us than we are to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:15 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
How are they the most important game?? Image I wish we would never schedule them again. Our conference games are way more important. I think you think way to highly of them to think they are the more important to us than we are to them.

Because that is the biggest game for USU fans they worry more about YBU than any other team, and with their fans we sell out home games with them, because of playing them we get more coverage in the papers and on T.V. When USU fans start to sell out the football stadium for MWC teams then perhaps they would not be as important for a revenue standpoint. They can sell out their facilities regardless of what USU brings

Look at the number of posts concerning YBU, and then compare it to any MWC rival. I do not ever watch YBU games unless they are playing USU I have no interest in them or their religion. I'm not that concerned with them, but I do understand the importance they have for USU. Without or Utah Utah on the schedule we would not have any instate rival.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
utaggies

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 8th, 2020, 3:11 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm
aggieman2828 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Because that is the biggest game for USU fans they worry more about YBU than any other team, and with their fans we sell out home games with them, because of playing them we get more coverage in the papers and on T.V. When USU fans start to sell out the football stadium for MWC teams then perhaps they would not be as important for a revenue standpoint. They can sell out their facilities regardless of what USU brings

Look at the number of posts concerning YBU, and then compare it to any MWC rival. I do not ever watch YBU games unless they are playing USU I have no interest in them or their religion. I'm not that concerned with them, but I do understand the importance they have for USU. Without or Utah Utah on the schedule we would not have any instate rival.
So much tv coverage that literally nobody would air the game, even byutv.

Also, I would argue that people (and fire extinguishers) care more about the nevada.

Not withstanding, the byu game is important and the curse is real.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Well I guess that is the difference I do not think the apology has anything to do with the 9 in a row YBU has beaten USU in basketball. I just think that is a excuse for losing. I was once told the God favored YBU , perhaps that is the problem. I believe that about as much as I believe the curse.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
utaggies

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 8th, 2020, 10:54 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 4:32 pm
Well I guess that is the difference I do not think the apology has anything to do with the 9 in a row YBU has beaten USU in basketball. I just think that is a excuse for losing. I was once told the God favored YBU , perhaps that is the problem. I believe that about as much as I believe the curse.
The “Curse of the Bambino” was a curse — until it wasn’t a curse.

I recall a quote attributed to Napolean that may have some application. It goes something like this: “God is on the side of the army with the most cannons!”

The “curse” BYU currently has over USU has more to do with shooting percentages, 3-point defense and rebounds than it has to do with Stan Albrecht.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
oleblu111

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 8th, 2020, 11:14 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 3:11 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm
aggieman2828 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

So much tv coverage that literally nobody would air the game, even byutv.

Also, I would argue that people (and fire extinguishers) care more about the nevada.

Not withstanding, the byu game is important and the curse is real.
It was Utah State's responsibility to get that game televised and they failed to do so. I have to believe that there would have been interested parties had we tried hard enough to get it televised. These were two tournament teams last year and in-state rivals.

In looking at our pre-season games over the last several years, Utah State has failed to get them on TV almost 100% of the time. Not sure why, but we can only point the finger at ourselves for this failure.

Even Weber State gets their games on KJZZ...

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 9th, 2020, 7:44 am

I think all of the local channels were hoping BYU football would win so they could have a Playoff Special. Then follow it up with a Heisman guarantee for Wilson.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 9th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:21 am
NVAggie wrote:
Unfortunately that guy was hampered by a very sore ankle in our BYU game last year and couldn't play his normal game. He had a hard time moving out there.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 9th, 2020, 2:53 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:01 pm
AgMac wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Not even close to the most important game for me. But I do agree with you on the so-called "curse". It's silly and actually kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy: the more people talk about it, the more it is a "thing". Why insist on annually reliving something that we'd all rather forget. Just let it die and move on.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm

utaggies wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:54 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 4:32 pm
The “Curse of the Bambino” was a curse — until it wasn’t a curse.

I recall a quote attributed to Napolean that may have some application. It goes something like this: “God is on the side of the army with the most cannons!”

The “curse” BYU currently has over USU has more to do with shooting percentages, 3-point defense and rebounds than it has to do with Stan Albrecht.
Exactly, a curse would involve a series of strange almost unlikely events to occur over the years preventing victory, frankly we are just getting flat out beaten.

I'm wondering how many time during that 9 game losing streak did USU shoot anywhere near their season average? I think the game has become too important to the players and the fans. The fans lose their minds and the players play too tight. Somehow Stew could get his players to just play their game and he won about 50% of the time.

CedarAg

Post by CedarAg » December 9th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I was at that game and it goes down as one of my better memories.

Roll Aggies!!!!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 9th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Here's the solution. Listen closely.

PLAY BETTER.

Or, you know, maybe blame the refs.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggiebluegrouseAGinNEIowa

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 9th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 8:49 pm
Here's the solution. Listen closely.

PLAY BETTER.

Or, you know, maybe blame the refs.
I can't play better cause I'm not on the team...but I can blame the refs! ;)

Locked Previous topicNext topic