New Poll

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Who's it going to be?

Skip Holtz
4
4%
Lance Leipold
20
18%
Jay Hill
40
35%
Frank Maille
8
7%
Graham Harrell
5
4%
Lance Anderson
6
5%
Brian Johnson
6
5%
Kenny Dillingham
1
1%
Other
23
20%
 
Total votes: 113

User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1430
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 497 times
Been thanked: 687 times

New Poll

Post by Sl7vk » December 7th, 2020, 10:20 am

Now that the AFA debacle is over....



HomeTown
Posts: 164
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 10:07 am
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: New Poll

Post by HomeTown » December 7th, 2020, 10:31 am

I think some of the shine may have come off Frank since the last poll and the AFA game.



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 591
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: New Poll

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 7th, 2020, 10:37 am

Who will it be? Or who do I want it to be?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1430
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 497 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Sl7vk » December 7th, 2020, 11:23 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 10:37 am
Who will it be? Or who do I want it to be?
What ever your preference I suppose. I went with who I think it will be and that is the same person as who I want.



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 591
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: New Poll

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 7th, 2020, 11:25 am

I think it will be Maile, not my top choice, but it could be worse. I think we strike out with the bigger names.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7279
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 918 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 7th, 2020, 11:29 am

Other: Sean Lewis. Although I think Leipold would be my top choice from that list.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
dirtnsnowGUS


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025
Posts: 3612
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie84025 » December 7th, 2020, 11:38 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:25 am
I think it will be Maile, not my top choice, but it could be worse. I think we strike out with the bigger names.
I like Maile personally, but if he is our best option we are in trouble as a program.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
bluegrouse



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:25 am
I think it will be Maile, not my top choice, but it could be worse. I think we strike out with the bigger names.
Why do you think that? Do you think all the people we have interviewed including Jay Hill will turn us down?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1430
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 497 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Sl7vk » December 7th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:25 am
I think it will be Maile, not my top choice, but it could be worse. I think we strike out with the bigger names.
Why do you think that? Do you think all the people we have interviewed including Jay Hill will turn us down?
Yeah, I'd take Jay Hill 20 times before I would even think about offering Maile.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiViAggie



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 591
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: New Poll

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 7th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:25 am
I think it will be Maile, not my top choice, but it could be worse. I think we strike out with the bigger names.
Why do you think that? Do you think all the people we have interviewed including Jay Hill will turn us down?
I dont really think it will be him. I think he has about a 15% chance. But I know nothing so I give every other person about a 10% chance. So Frank has the best chance, but it wont be him.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:08 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:25 am
I think it will be Maile, not my top choice, but it could be worse. I think we strike out with the bigger names.
Why do you think that? Do you think all the people we have interviewed including Jay Hill will turn us down?
I dont really think it will be him. I think he has about a 15% chance. But I know nothing so I give every other person about a 10% chance. So Frank has the best chance, but it wont be him.
Fair enough. I think the small chance that Maile had of getting the job ended last Thursday.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BLUERUFiO



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: New Poll

Post by splintorb » December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
This was talked about in another thread. The guy is barely above .500 with a school in a conference that is usually 1 rank behind MWC in conference rankings...



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
splintorb



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 4:35 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That is a weird way to look at it. When you take over a bad program your overall record is naturally not going to be great for a while because results aren't going to be immediate. The last 3 years he is 10-4, 8-5 and 4-0. Look at what he has built, not the few years he was building.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiOJSHarvey



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: New Poll

Post by splintorb » December 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Leipold would be a big meh hire.

2020: 4-0 this year and his opponents combined record is 5-11.
2019: lost to 3 pretty "meh" teams in Liberty, Miami Ohio, and Kent State (Kent State team we lost to)
2018: Did beat a Big 10 team in Rutgers, but got killed by Ohio again.

Just pretty "meh" overall man...
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
2004AG



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7384
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: New Poll

Post by GeoAg » December 7th, 2020, 5:07 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Leipold would be a big meh hire.

2020: 4-0 this year and his opponents combined record is 5-11.
2019: lost to 3 pretty "meh" teams in Liberty, Miami Ohio, and Kent State (Kent State team we lost to)
2018: Did beat a Big 10 team in Rutgers, but got killed by Ohio again.

Just pretty "meh" overall man...
I would be very excited to have Holtz or Leipold. Would prefer Holtz. I would rather get someone who has proven they can win as a head coach with restricted (but still lesser) resources. I feel much better about a case like that than Harrell. Either way, I trust John.

Holtz or Leipold would very much fit the profile of the Craig Smith hire.


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2706
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 1896 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: New Poll

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 7th, 2020, 5:10 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:07 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Leipold would be a big meh hire.

2020: 4-0 this year and his opponents combined record is 5-11.
2019: lost to 3 pretty "meh" teams in Liberty, Miami Ohio, and Kent State (Kent State team we lost to)
2018: Did beat a Big 10 team in Rutgers, but got killed by Ohio again.

Just pretty "meh" overall man...
I would be very excited to have Holtz or Leipold. Would prefer Holtz. I would rather get someone who has proven they can win as a head coach with restricted (but still lesser) resources. I feel much better about a case like that than Harrell. Either way, I trust John.

Holtz or Leipold would very much fit the profile of the Craig Smith hire.
Looking at Holtz' Wikipedia now. Yup, he'd be good as well. I'd take either Holtz or Leipold and feel good about it.


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

coolag
Posts: 1453
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: New Poll

Post by coolag » December 7th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Sean Lewis



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 5:17 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Leipold would be a big meh hire.

2020: 4-0 this year and his opponents combined record is 5-11.
2019: lost to 3 pretty "meh" teams in Liberty, Miami Ohio, and Kent State (Kent State team we lost to)
2018: Did beat a Big 10 team in Rutgers, but got killed by Ohio again.

Just pretty "meh" overall man...
He is 4-0 at Buffalo this year with his offense putting up over 40 in every game including 70 against Sean Lewis's Kent State team. The only negative is he isn't an "up and comer," but I believe he would win here just as any 35 year old would.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:35 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That is a weird way to look at it. When you take over a bad program your overall record is naturally not going to be great for a while because results aren't going to be immediate. The last 3 years he is 10-4, 8-5 and 4-0. Look at what he has built, not the few years he was building.
I can't think of a better way to look at a coach, other than his win/loss record. NOT looking at his win loss record would be weird.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11158
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7154 times
Been thanked: 4752 times

Re: New Poll

Post by aggies22 » December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 5:30 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:35 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That is a weird way to look at it. When you take over a bad program your overall record is naturally not going to be great for a while because results aren't going to be immediate. The last 3 years he is 10-4, 8-5 and 4-0. Look at what he has built, not the few years he was building.
I can't think of a better way to look at a coach, other than his win/loss record. NOT looking at his win loss record would be weird.
We are looking at his win loss record. He is 10-4, 8-5 and 4-0 over the past 3 years. Most people would agree Gary Andersen did a pretty good job here his first go around even though overall he was just 26-24. People judge him on what he built, not his first few years when he was building.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?
That's great if you like him. At least when Gary was here he wasn't past his prime and had gone higher on the coaching ladder than Buffalo and Wisconsin-Whitewater and Gary was familiar with Utah. Gary had coached under Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittinham.

Gary 1.0 and Lance Leipold have almost nothing in common.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11158
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7154 times
Been thanked: 4752 times

Re: New Poll

Post by aggies22 » December 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?
That's great if you like him. At least when Gary was here he wasn't past his prime and had gone higher on the coaching ladder than Buffalo and Wisconsin-Whitewater and Gary was familiar with Utah. Gary had coached under Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittinham.

Gary 1.0 and Lance Leipold have almost nothing in common.
I was actually agreeing with you my Aggie brother. I was being facetious.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
2004AG



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 6:18 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?
That's great if you like him. At least when Gary was here he wasn't past his prime and had gone higher on the coaching ladder than Buffalo and Wisconsin-Whitewater and Gary was familiar with Utah. Gary had coached under Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittinham.

Gary 1.0 and Lance Leipold have almost nothing in common.
Hard to argue he is past his prime when his team is undefeated and putting up over 40 points a game.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1758
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 401 times

New Poll

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 7th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I think it’s a decent list if these are indeed the candidates that have been interviewed.
Jay Hill
Sean Lewis
Lance Leipold
Skip Holtz
Willie Fritz
Graham Herrell
Frank Maile
Jeff Grimes



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 6:18 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?
That's great if you like him. At least when Gary was here he wasn't past his prime and had gone higher on the coaching ladder than Buffalo and Wisconsin-Whitewater and Gary was familiar with Utah. Gary had coached under Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittinham.

Gary 1.0 and Lance Leipold have almost nothing in common.
Hard to argue he is past his prime when his team is undefeated and putting up over 40 points a game.
Yeah, in the mighty MAC. He's 56 and his record was built at Wisconsin-Whitewater.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3612
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie84025 » December 7th, 2020, 6:46 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 6:28 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 6:18 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?
That's great if you like him. At least when Gary was here he wasn't past his prime and had gone higher on the coaching ladder than Buffalo and Wisconsin-Whitewater and Gary was familiar with Utah. Gary had coached under Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittinham.

Gary 1.0 and Lance Leipold have almost nothing in common.
Hard to argue he is past his prime when his team is undefeated and putting up over 40 points a game.
Yeah, in the mighty MAC. He's 56 and his record was built at Wisconsin-Whitewater.
I'm not saying that he would be a home run higher but I do think that he would be a solid hire. I would take him over maile any day of the week.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 6:50 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 6:28 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 6:18 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Its gonna be a dud like Leipold or Holtz, but it should be one of the other, younger guys.
Why would Leipold be a dud? Just because a guy is older doesn't mean he isn't a great coach. He clearly knows how to win football games.
He's 56 and the highest he's ever gotten is Buffalo? No thanks. And he's 35-32 at Buffalo. No thanks.
That's my hang up as well. Remind me again, what was Gary's record here?
That's great if you like him. At least when Gary was here he wasn't past his prime and had gone higher on the coaching ladder than Buffalo and Wisconsin-Whitewater and Gary was familiar with Utah. Gary had coached under Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittinham.

Gary 1.0 and Lance Leipold have almost nothing in common.
Hard to argue he is past his prime when his team is undefeated and putting up over 40 points a game.
Yeah, in the mighty MAC. He's 56 and his record was built at Wisconsin-Whitewater.
We are either going to be hiring a coach from the Mac or Big Sky unless we go the coordinator route. His record at Wisconsin White Water was incredible and he has turned Buffalo into a winner. I'd wait until he loses a game this year before saying he is past his prime. Nothing suggests he is past his prime other than his age. 56 isn't that old in coaching. That is how old Nick Saban was in his first season at Alabama.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BLUERUFiO



User avatar
aggieman2828
Posts: 106
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:33 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: New Poll

Post by aggieman2828 » December 7th, 2020, 7:06 pm

I’m not sold on Leipold. He seems like a Craig Bohl type hire. He did great building North Dakota St into a FCS powerhouse but hasn’t exactly lit it up in the Mountain West. If we are going that route may as well go with Hill. He’s younger and has a brighter future IMO.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: New Poll

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Hartwell is gonna drag this on for another few weeks just to torture us and drive us all crazy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: New Poll

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 7:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Hartwell is gonna drag this on for another few weeks just to torture us and drive us all crazy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is something we can agree on. It has taken longer than it should have. The one advantage of firing a coach 3 games into the season is he should have had a lot of time. Other programs are hiring coaches. It is time we should too.



coolag
Posts: 1453
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: New Poll

Post by coolag » December 7th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Maybe no one besides Frank wants the job?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic