The Waved Off And One Bucket

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

The Waved Off And One Bucket

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:17 pm

You decide.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 3):
CastIronAggieslcaggSLB

ThunderAggie

Re: The Waved Off And One Bucket

Post by ThunderAggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:20 pm

He was bumped and shot mid air after the bump. Should have counted!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieIdaAg93

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 5th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the right call after the heat of the moment has worn off.

Worster is fouled as he's going for the ball. Bang-bang play. Easily not one of the worst 3 calls tonight.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » December 5th, 2020, 9:31 pm

918AGG wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:22 pm
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the right call after the heat of the moment has worn off.

Worster is fouled as he's going for the ball. Bang-bang play. Easily not one of the worst 3 calls tonight.
I dont know what you are looking at? You are saying he had enough time for a bang bang play to happen before he got the shot off? He had the ball for like .3 seconds? :bangwall:

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:37 pm

I thought it should have counted. But then again I thought Barcello traveled too.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:39 pm

The reality is that the refs were bad the whole game. The Aggies had chance after chance to win the game and to put it in the hands of the refs was asking for trouble. But man I hope their is some consequences for this crew. That last stretch was just unaccptable. Had either of those last two calls been reviewed I think they would have both come out differently. But the Aggies should have won by 10.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieaggies22

UCAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by UCAggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Does anyone have the step out of bounds play right after this?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 5th, 2020, 9:40 pm

UCAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:39 pm
Does anyone have the step out of bounds play right after this?
Gamefaqs will very soon. He is the man.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:41 pm

The reality is that the refs were bad the whole game. The Aggies had chance after chance to win the game and to put it in the hands of the refs was asking for trouble. But man I hope their is some consequences for this crew. That last stretch was just unaccptable. Had either of those last two calls been reviewed I think they would have both come out differently. But the Aggies should have won by 10.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieGUS

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm

I guess I don't know the rules, but I thought that shooting during contact was key. He shoots after. Isn't that why the call was correct?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0sstrasseroleblu111

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 5th, 2020, 9:46 pm

I just noticed the BYU player who body checked him actually flopped and acted like he was fouled. Haven't seen so many flops since the last soccer game I watched.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 4):
DkdavisSpectrumMagicReal Life AggieIdaAg93

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 5th, 2020, 9:53 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:46 pm
I just noticed the BYU player who body checked him actually flopped and acted like he was fouled. Haven't seen so many flops since the last soccer game I watched.
The Zoobies flopped on about 10 different occasions. And they got the calls too. Give credit where credit is due.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
SpectrumMagic

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 5th, 2020, 9:55 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:53 pm
treesap32 wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:46 pm
The Zoobies flopped on about 10 different occasions. And they got the calls too. Give credit where credit is due.
Best floppers in the California high school league.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 5th, 2020, 9:59 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:41 pm
I agree...so many missed opportunities, especially down the stretch.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 10:40 pm

It was the right call. He didn't start the act of shooting until after the contact. He wasn't going to shoot that until he felt the contact. I wanted it to count too, but it was the right call.

Also, I don't think Barcelo traveled, but he might have stepped out of bounds. Hard to tell.

I'm not saying the refs were great. They weren't. But it didn't cost us the game. Horrible shooting on the offensive end (especially from 3) did. When are we going to figure out how to shoot?
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
oleblu111

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:40 pm
It was the right call. He didn't start the act of shooting until after the contact. He wasn't going to shoot that until he felt the contact. I wanted it to count too, but it was the right call.

Also, I don't think Barcelo traveled, but he might have stepped out of bounds. Hard to tell.

I'm not saying the refs were great. They weren't. But it didn't cost us the game. Horrible shooting on the offensive end (especially from 3) did. When are we going to figure out how to shoot?
Shooting is hard to get going during the season unfortunately. But I still think we win a lot of games and end up close to 20 games (if we play close to 30 games).

freakboy

Post by freakboy » December 5th, 2020, 10:49 pm

These are three veteran refs, too.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 10:49 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Shooting is hard to get going during the season unfortunately. But I still think we win a lot of games and end up close to 20 games (if we play close to 30 games).
My concern is that we have been a bad offensive team for 2 seasons now. Sam covered a lot of offensive warts, but even last year, almost every game we went on huge long scoring droughts of 3-8 minutes where we didn't score a point. And this year we don't have Sam to will us out of it.

I think Worster or Anthony can eventually be the guy that can just go get a bucket when we desperately need it, but so far they haven't settled into that role. We have a very young team.

And surely some of these guys can shoot, right? I mean, they had to have made a bunch of 3s in high school. That is all anyone shoots anymore.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SLB

Post by SLB » December 5th, 2020, 10:51 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:17 pm
You decide.
Continuation of the shot is a score and 1.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 5th, 2020, 10:52 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:49 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

My concern is that we have been a bad offensive team for 2 seasons now. Sam covered a lot of offensive warts, but even last year, almost every game we went on huge long scoring droughts of 3-8 minutes where we didn't score a point. And this year we don't have Sam to will us out of it.

I think Worster or Anthony can eventually be the guy that can just go get a bucket when we desperately need it, but so far they haven't settled into that role. We have a very young team.

And surely some of these guys can shoot, right? I mean, they had to have made a bunch of 3s in high school. That is all anyone shoots anymore.
I do think Steven ashworth is going to end up being a very good shooter for us in the future. And I think Rollie will as well.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
DkdavisSLB

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 5th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Do you think we could ever play ashworth with Rollie and Anthony? Brock and bairstow are fine but they don’t do a whole lot for us.

BigVBAg

Post by BigVBAg » December 5th, 2020, 10:58 pm

I know we struggled to score, and intimately that’s why we lost.

However, I only got to watch the second half, but there were many calls where one ref called it one way and the another called it the other way, and every one of those went BYU’s way. I thought the majority of 50/50 plays were supposed to go to the home team, but it sure didn’t seem that way tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 11:02 pm

SLB wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 10:51 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.
Continuation is not a thing in college. Only the NBA. I actually don't even think that would have been an and-1 in the NBA. It happens all the time when the offensive player feels contact and throws the ball up. In the NBA, the ref has some discretion regarding whether the player was gathering to shoot. In that case they can count the basket. In college the ref doesn't have that discretion. Unless the offensive player is in the actual act of shooting at the time the contact is made, it is on the floor. It was the correct call.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
SweepDanceoleblu111

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SLB

Post by SLB » December 5th, 2020, 11:04 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:02 pm
SLB wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.
Continuation is not a thing in college. Only the NBA. I actually don't even think that would have been an and-1 in the NBA. It happens all the time when the offensive player feels contact and throws the ball up. In the NBA, the red has some discretion regarding whether the player was gathering to shoot. In that case they can count the basket. In college the ref doesn't have that discretion. Unless the offensive player is in the actual act of shooting at the time the contact is made, it is on the floor. It was the correct call.
We get that to you refs are gods that should be worshiped.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 5th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
SLB wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.
Continuation is not a thing in college. Only the NBA. I actually don't even think that would have been an and-1 in the NBA. It happens all the time when the offensive player feels contact and throws the ball up. In the NBA, the ref has some discretion regarding whether the player was gathering to shoot. In that case they can count the basket. In college the ref doesn't have that discretion. Unless the offensive player is in the actual act of shooting at the time the contact is made, it is on the floor. It was the correct call.
Do you watch much NBA? That most certainly would have been an And-1 in the NBA. Depending on the player he could have taken a step toward the basket and then shot and it would have been an And-1.

You're probably right about the NCAA rules though.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 11:11 pm

SLB wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:04 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
SLB wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.
Continuation is not a thing in college. Only the NBA. I actually don't even think that would have been an and-1 in the NBA. It happens all the time when the offensive player feels contact and throws the ball up. In the NBA, the red has some discretion regarding whether the player was gathering to shoot. In that case they can count the basket. In college the ref doesn't have that discretion. Unless the offensive player is in the actual act of shooting at the time the contact is made, it is on the floor. It was the correct call.
We get that to you refs are gods that should be worshiped.
Uh, ok?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 11:12 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:06 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
SLB wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.
Do you watch much NBA? That most certainly would have been an And-1 in the NBA. Depending on the player he could have taken a step toward the basket and then shot and it would have been an And-1.

I watch a ton of NBA. I don't think Worster was going to shoot until after he felt the contact. He wasn't gathering to shoot and didn't start the "gather" until after contact. That is what continuation is in the NBA. It is dependent upon the "gathering" action.
SweepDance

Formerly TulsAGGIE

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 5th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:12 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
SLB wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.

I watch a ton of NBA. I don't think Worster was going to shoot until after he felt the contact. He wasn't gathering to shoot. That is what continuation is in the NBA.
Maybe that's what the rule book says, but there is not a single NBA ref who wouldn't have called that shot good. Imagine James Harden making an identical shot - that bucket counts 100 times out of 100.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 5th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Sneelock - I think we have all seen plenty of continuation calls in NCAA. Let’s be honest. If this is a big name team star or all conference player they get the call.

Also I think Rollie being a freshman played a part in the double T as well.

Different rules for different players - same could be said for life in general

SLB

Post by SLB » December 5th, 2020, 11:19 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:15 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:12 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
SLB wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You decide.

I watch a ton of NBA. I don't think Worster was going to shoot until after he felt the contact. He wasn't gathering to shoot. That is what continuation is in the NBA.
Maybe that's what the rule book says, but there is not a single NBA ref who wouldn't have called that shot good. Imagine James Harden making an identical shot - that bucket counts 100 times out of 100.
I have seen many college games with continuation as a thing, and everyone knows that. We had a slow whistle with a shot of the same motion of the contact which should be and 1.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 11:21 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:16 pm
Sneelock - I think we have all seen plenty of continuation calls in NCAA. Let’s be honest. If this is a big name team star or all conference player they get the call.

Also I think Rollie being a freshman played a part in the double T as well.

Different rules for different players - same could be said for life in general
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. In my view, it was the right call, and though we can never know if it would have been called differently in a different universe with different teams and players, in my view, if it had been, it would have been the wrong call.
oleblu111

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 5th, 2020, 11:33 pm

One thing we can agree on is the ridiculous flop from #20

BYU must spend time in practice perfecting the flop, only at soccer games and Houston rocket games do guys go flying and do pirouettes from minimal contact.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 5th, 2020, 11:37 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:33 pm

BYU must spend time in practice perfecting the flop, only at soccer games and Houston rocket games do guys go flying and do pirouettes from minimal contact.
I hate it and it's dishonest, but it's a good strategy. College refs aren't good enough to avoid being sucked in. You'll get that call far, far more than you'll ever be ignored.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2020, 11:38 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:37 pm
SpectrumMagic wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 11:33 pm

I hate it and it's dishonest, but it's a good strategy. College refs aren't good enough to avoid being sucked in. You'll get that call far, far more than you'll ever be ignored.
Flopping is a stain on the game. That said, Sam Merrill, as much as I love him, was one of the worst I have ever seen.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieoleblu111

Formerly TulsAGGIE

dogie

Post by dogie » December 5th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
James Harden would have gotten that call.
(edit: I now see I’m not the first to make this observation! ;) )

I’ll say this, not a lot of freshman could make the waved-off basket and make it almost look like it should have counted. Most players don’t perfect that until they get to the next level. Worster has some good basketball instincts, and I’m going to enjoy seeing him start for the Aggies for the next five years.
Last edited by dogie on December 5th, 2020, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
treesap32IdaAg93

Locked Previous topicNext topic